Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Wicaeed posted:

drat I didn't realize how big Reapers (if that is what that is) are.

Reapers always seem bigger than you think, but predators end up a bit smaller in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

pkells posted:

Just noticed Flying the SR-71 Blackbird: In the Cockpit on a Secret Operational Mission is on sale on amazon for the Kindle for only $2.99 this month. The reviews looks pretty cool, and I know how everyone here pops a woody over the Blackbird, so I thought it was worth a mention.

The author's a pretty cool dude. He's in my flying club and taught the airplane performance (lol) lesson. Probably a bit of a jump from the blackbird to a C150.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

High total time, crap avionics and two engines that will need overhauls very soon. Oh, and it needs an annual inspection. It's an appropriate price I bet.

EDIT: Actually both engines are past due for an overhaul.

Plus you'd have to go to Gary to pick it up.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

So does that make Cirrus a Lexus?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Wait are people talking about DC-3s?

Been sitting on that picture for a while.

EDIT :
Two...two gooney birds

Three...three gooney birds ah ah ah

Shavnir fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 31, 2013

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

MD-80, view from 32F.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A Melted Tarp posted:

Cessna did a tractor/pusher model called the Skymaster, which was a really lousy aircraft. All the expense and complexity of a twin, and it wasn't all that much quicker than a 172. Also the rear engine likes to overheat and quit during taxi, so that when you take off it fails to climb and you slam into whatever is at the end of the runway.

I've heard bad things but man I'd still like to give the Cessna Suck and Blow a try.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

It seems like it would make more sense to mandate drones above some specified weight have sensors to pick up whatever presence signal manned aircraft are required to broadcast and programming to auto-flee in an opposite direction. Recievers presumably take a lot less size/weight/power than transmitters, this avoids any FCC broadcasting concerns, etc. You could also put similar beacons for repulsion around active airports (if there's not an essentially equivalent signal already.)

Also the concerns here (and hexnut's anecdote) are all about mid-air collision, which isn't addressed at all with (ground-based) pilot licensing, which sounds like what the FAA wants to implement. Licensing in particular makes less and less sense as the drones become more autonomous / pre-programmed.

So what you're saying is no drones until everyone has ads-b?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

It's not currently mandated in the US and there is plenty of lobbying to keep it optional for general aviation. It still wouldn't be required in 2020 except for airspace that requires a transponder currently. See AOPA ADSB Brief

Some do, some do not.

Ah apologies, I live in a mode c veil so when other locals were taking about ads b I assumed it was mandatory for everyone.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

Bingo. Any FG plane becomes prettier as an RG. RG>>FG and we all know it.

edit: Since we're friends and in a safe space I will admit to feeling a little conflicted about the Bugatti P100, since it's by far the most stunning aircraft ever but it's also a tail dragger. I'm not quite sure what these strange and confusing feelings are.

I've always thought that high wing planes look goofy with gear up.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Linedance posted:

You're giving them a lot of credit... If I saw them shuffling around, arms outstretched, requesting brains from passers by, I probably wouldn't blink an eye.
Someone should make a zombie movie set in a departure lounge, and the twist is... Nobody notices there's zombies in the airport.

Wasn't that the last level of the first Left 4 Dead?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

And FLIR is pretty drat expensive. I think the going rate is a mil or two.

That's a pretty decent ballpark figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

D C posted:

Gotta love the amount of thought people put into buying a house sometimes. Hows the kitchen? Are the closets big enough?

When you buy a car I'm sure most people do a walk around, looking at it in good light to make sure the paint is good and theres nothing missing, a test drive to see if it drives well, maybe have a mechanic look at it. But when buying a house at 10x+ the cost they dont bother to go to the neighborhood at night, or early in the morning, on a weekend, see if theres anything noisy/smelly/off about it.

To be fair I've had a lot more time to evaluate car purchases than house purchases lately. Market is crazy down here.

That being said everytime I hear a plane overhead I smile a bit and wish there was a noise compliment line.