Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Slo-Tek posted:

040315-F-9999G-008 by RReiheld, on Flickr

YB-60. An all-jet swept wing retread of the B-36. Competed, poorly, against the much more modern B-52.

Huh. So this is what a real world Fallout would look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The USAF uses JP8 in everything diesel. So yeah, Jet Fuel is largely Kerosene with additives anyways.

Isn't that....expensive?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

"Oh Shoot!"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

3. Have fun ride suffer massive injuries

The two are not mutually exclusive.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Didn't they originally think they were going to use some super poisonous "Zip Fuel" in the XB-70?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

(.91 I've seen exactly once).

I'm guessing some billionaire that doesn't mind paying the $texas fuel price for the small jump in speed?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

simplefish posted:

"He flew in a B-52 at the airshow! He entered the raffle and won a ride in that aeroplane!" is also okay, for the reasons stated above (being kept in place) or perhaps because the cool thing isn't that you went up in the air, it's that you did so on a freakin' BUFF. In that case, "in" would be the first choice, because it's where you are, not how you're getting from A to B, that is the focus of the conversation.

They don't actually do that, do they? I would LOVE to get to ride on a BUFF at an airshow. I wouldn't even care that the airframe is probably older than my Dad and smells like it too.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

That whole thing is :catdrugs:

When the orbital nuclear death satellites are the "cheap" option.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

When I was like 8 or 9 we took a flight to see the Grandparents in Indiana and when we boarded the plane (Probably a DC-9) I took a left instead of a right when I got onboard and accidentally walked into the cockpit. The captain was nice though and he let me look around for a minute before the flight attendant gently spun me around the right way.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Lufthansa 744s twice a day to Munich.

We do? I took Lufthansa to Munich in 2012, and it was an A340

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

AlexanderCA posted:

Yoko Tsuno :swoon:

Nerdy 10 year old me ate that poo poo up in the library. Pretty drat AI.

What's this comic and has it been translated into English?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

blugu64 posted:

I've always thought if I had a white ford ranger with an amber light on top, I'd be able to park anywhere as long as I put an orange come in front/back of the truck.

There was a story floating around the internet of a guy who basically did this with a white Cherokee in Cambridge MA, (where street parking is notoriously hard to come by) and could basically park wherever he wanted.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

I always thought the old V2 paint scheme looked cool;

I don't know if a Nazi "Heritage" paint scheme would go over really well.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Psion posted:

727 Final Flight by probably the guy posting this image, but you never know, on Flickr

Pretty cool to see this go by the other day. I was even far enough away so the JT8Ds sounded nostalgic as opposed to eardrum-blasting.

I love everything about what they did. "We need to move the jet, but it's been parked since 1991"

"gently caress it, we're flying it there!"

*jet engines start up*

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

From the China thread in GBS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21qZPaCRSQI

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

onezero posted:

Incredible footage (from the viewpoint of a news helicoptor) of a tanker dropping retardant on the Tokawana Fire on the WY/UT border. https://www.facebook.com/ksltv/videos/10154705783463676/

So do these guys do all this crazy flying in a converted airliner surrounded by a din of hooting and dinging and buzzing and disembodied voices telling them about the TERRAIN that they're flying over or do they disable all that stuff?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Buttcoin purse posted:

Did they go wrong by contacting the tower for "instructions" rather than "clearance for an emergency landing"? :v:

This was the 60s, it was a different time.

I mean, flying overnight just so the light was better using 333,000 gallons of jet fuel because of the leak is hardcore enough.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

It's a Lake Buccaneer

Growing up our folks inherited a summer house up in the Middle of Nowhere, VT. Our neighbor up there lived in NJ and owned a Lake, and would fly up every Friday after work, spend the weekend on the lake, then Sunday after dinner would fly home. I always wanted a ride, but he was seriously in vacation mode once he got up there and would only take the plane out when leaving on Sunday.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Psion posted:

"how many JATO bottles can we put on a plane? Let's find out."

Combine that with old engines being smoky as hell (especially with water-injection, I believe) and well, fuck_the_environment.jpg. Early B-47s had built-in JATO racks which were abandoned for removable racks (so as not to carry deadweight around) - carrying up to 33 bottles. That'll get you going in the morning, alright.

"When you absolutely, positively have to nuke the Reds in just a few hours, choose JATO"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

(From what I can barely decipher it of the writing on it, it might just be a simulator, which would be a disappointingly sane answer.)

I'm betting it's a firefighting simulator.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

Have you ever moved to a new state? It might as well be like moving to a different country. Just the differences between different state's vehicle and licensing agencies can be staggering and utterly retarded. I wish far more agencies were run by the federal government instead of inept, underfunded, "good 'ol boys"-having state and local government.

I moved from MA to NY. It was a move of less than 200 miles and you could have SWORN I moved to a foreign country with how much bullshit I had to deal with. It took me 60 (business) days to get my lender to send the proper paperwork to the NYS DMV to get my car registered.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Can you imagine the loads on pylons when you're rolling at 60rpm?

Bomb release stuck? Just roll!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

um excuse me posted:

I've said it earlier in this thread but I'll mention it again, indigenous Chinese jet engines scare the crap out of me. Pratt is discovering new failure modes for jet parts from engines designed 30 years ago. The learning curve is beyond enormous. We could give them the exact blueprints to something made today and they couldn't make it. They would never get the metallurgy right.

And that's without the pervasive culture of "that's good enough." The china.jpg thread has its faults, but it's certainly cured me of worrying about "The Chinese Century"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Caution, aircraft crossing

(Swedish Air Force SIGINT Canberra, think the airfield is Barkarby which is now long closed)

Indeed!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

I kind of hope we might be early and rare in our own galaxy, intelligent life is a gigantic fluke as well as life at all/life beyond eukaryot and prokaryot life.

Certainly is better than the alternative. "Turns out live is easy and abundant, but the distances in space are SO VAST that nobody ever meets to chat. :smith:"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Wasn't the 727 the one that got RATO hardpoints for hot and high takeoffs? Opportunity missed.

Edit: YES! http://www.tailsthroughtime.com/2010/04/ive-always-had-soft-spot-for-boeing-727.html

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

hogmartin posted:

e: turning a working Grumman Mallard or similar into a flying RV would be awesome.

Wasn't there a rich dude in the 1950s that turned a war-surplus PBY Catalina into an RV until it was shot up by the Saudia?

fake edit: there was!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

I got dibs on ketchup!

...wait, what the gently caress do you mean that's not a spice??

It's a vegetable! :v:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Inacio posted:

airbus really makes the prettiest planes

Counterpoint: A380.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Vitamin J posted:

The pilots are heroes they wrestled the plane out of an uncontrolled barrel roll

quote:

turning the aircraft around at least 3 times (possibly even 5 times)

:catstare:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Lol just heard on the news that YYC received over 1700 noise complaints from 1 person last year.

That's got to be like more than one complaint per aircraft

"Yes? I'd like to complain! That jet that I called about earlier is still very loud!"

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Can you say Акустическая усталость? acoustic fatigue

*shouting* WHAT??

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Plucky weird lookin' planes?

Without even googling, I knew this was a French plane. They're very distinctive.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I'm always curious about airplanes in museums. Like, just how ready to go would they be if someone said "gently caress it, let's make it fly again" Are these all basically real planes converted to static displays that will never fly again unless you basically build it from scratch over again, or is it "change the fluids, charge the batteries, gas it up and let's go"

It's probably somewhere in between.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Could be tomato juice. That's popular on airliners for reasons I don't understand.

Hide your vodka.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

"Okay, hold up the unlit cigarette in 3.....2...."

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Kebbins posted:

Not XB-70-sized by any means...

Man, the non-lengthened Starlifter was a good looking plane. When they made it longer, they made it much more awkward looking.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Mazz posted:

So without need to explain why I googled that immediately and found a 75 page assessment from Wright-Patt on it.

https://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/529372.pdf

EDIT: that direct link doesn't work for me now but going straight from google did, weird. Let me know if it doesn't.

Wait, it was a real (crazy) proposal? I thought it was a photoshop.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

I forget the name, somebody here will know:

It totally looks like the soldiers looking at it are going "...what the..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

Civilization ends when the Japanese manage to cram proper robot gizzards/AI into their sex dolls. It'll be sneaky. They'll just wait until people stop loving each other and society crumbles and then go full Terminator 2 future war scene except with more latex and improbably sized bolt on tits.

That's literally the background of the Sci-Fi book "Saturn's Children:" Humanity develops AI, humanity invents AI sexbots, Humanity goes extinct. Sexbots have no job, book begins.