Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Ola posted:

Ok, I'm a big fan of experimental aviation a.k.a. kitplanes. Done right it is one of the finest home engineering hobbies and with easy access to the wealth of knowledge from fellow builders it can truly turn out a wonderful flying machine that puts comparable certified machines to shame.

But this is the complete opposite. This is the most incredible NTSB report on a GA accident I have ever read. Put something soft on your desk, your jaw will be doing multiple drops.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20071120X01821&ntsbno=NYC08FA023&akey=1

Oh hey, it's a build report!

http://www.our7a.com/20070708.html

This is amazing, it has everything and would be a classic for a human factors course. Some of the work isn't bad. Some is like "oh, I wouldn't do that" and other stuff is "HOLY poo poo!!"

You can see the point where he gets frustrated with the project and his work gets sloppier and sloppier as he gets more impatient.

I would yell at the apprentice who brought this to me and thought it was "good enough":
http://www.our7a.com/images/20070830-04.jpg

EDIT: Actually now I'm kinda confused if this is the build of N289DT or another RV-10 I realize this is a buildup of a different RV-10, he just visits N289DT at the start. Regardless, there's still some pretty bogus crap going on.

Rot fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

For me, anyway, you may need to underline the mistakes. I don't know enough to really get a kick out of it so far.

I guess a lot of it comes down to just simple sloppy work. Some of his sheet metal work looks like he took his time, was careful, and as a result did well. Other stuff, like some of his wiring, was obviously rushed and sloppy. To me that's a sign that he didn't like it, was getting frustrated that everything wasn't coming together like he expected, so he just got through it however he could. The link blugu64 posted touches on that in regards to the RV-10 crash.

Bare conductors super close to metal fuel lines, inside the fuel tank. Humming and hawing if he should bother prosealing the joints of the tank. Surprised that his tank leaks when he's not using the proper fasteners.

The lockwire I showed in my previous post is total bullshit, won't do anything to secure the b-nut, and looks like there'll be some awesome chaffing down the road. It looks like poo poo, he knows it, and couldn't be arsed to redo it better.

Despite some of his good sheetmetal work, you can see in the background of some shots of some real botched jobs. Torn and deformed drill holes, some real iffy rivets (he redid a couple spots but I'd still say some of the pieces are scrap), and his modified dimpling tool makes some awesome tool marks all over, which he figures out later.

Maybe the crash report of the other RV-10 has got me all super critical of this guy's work and perhaps that's a bit unfair, but so be it. lovely work is lovely work and he should have the sense to redo something he knows isn't up to par.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Saga posted:

What did he think he was going to achieve with that lockwiring? I was waiting for you to explain something abstrusely aeronautical, but no, it turned out to be exactly as dumb as it looks.

I find that with a lot of tasks (lockwire and other safety stuff like cotterpins, sheetmetal or body work, paint, general assembly, etc) it's really that simple: if it looks like poo poo, it probably is poo poo.

Saga posted:

I've always liked the RV series and in an ideal world would love to build an RV10, but one thing that puts me off is I just wouldn't trust myself not to screw something up.

We had a pilot retire and he bought himself a kit. Can't remember off hand what it was. Anyway, he was constantly in the hangar, asking questions about such and such fastener or tool. Or looking for advice on certain methods or ideas he had. He eventually sold the kit because it was just too stressful and that's not exactly what you're looking for in a retirement hobby. That's a tough decision to make, he put a lot of time, money, and work into that project.

I think making a kit aircraft would be awesome and it really doesn't seem like that difficult of a project. IF you're willing to take your time and know when to ask for help. If these hobby guys aren't willing to do that, then I really wish they'd take up golf or fishing instead.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

We did this for Movember:

molima by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Boomerjinks posted:

Loving this. Is that an AH-64 Moustache?

Nope, a Sikorsky S-76a mustache.

Nam Taf posted:

We do that to a bunch of our locomotives each year :)

Fun. I'm honestly a bit surprised at how positive the response was from management and it's been a big hit locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Seal Cove is a busy place at times. Not shown: a 206L1 off the goof's right, warming up for it's charter, and an S64E sitting off the nose of that 214 in the background. Everyone except the Air-Crane is running and waiting.

IMG_7952.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

These guys never stop flying:

IMG_7788.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

How's this for a work trip: 4 guys in the cabin. Two pilots, one engineer in the little jumpseat between them, and one engineer sitting in the aft-facing phonebooth. Now, hump along from Colorado to Alaska at 90kts:

IMG_7890.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr