Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

dissss posted:

Split the difference and give us a USB power outlet then - that can't add much to the already existing draw of the screen.

Singapore's IFE has this. You can even watch movies from your iDevice and stuff through it apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Shai-Hulud posted:

Its just...wrong to let a blackbird rot.

Anyone been to the Imperial War Museum in Duxford? They have a SR-71, an A-10 and a B-52 and i never seen those planes in real life but i really really wan't to. I don't know if i'll ever be able to afford a flight to the US but England is way more affordable. Is it worth the trip?

I have, it is legit awesome. Their collections is pretty impressive, they've got a U-2, Vulcan, Concorde prototype as well. Plus a pretty good-sized tank exhibition as well and a bunch of WW2 planes.

Making a trip just for Duxford might be overkill, because there's so much else to see if you're already in England. In London there's the Imperial War Museum proper and Churchill War Rooms, and Bletchley Park isn't far off either if you're into crypto. I've been to all of those and they own.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MrChips posted:

combined with a lack of suitable airports and an often extremely inhospitable climate, long unrefuelled range and multiple engines *should* be among the most important attributes we look for.

This is more or less what the Gripen was designed for - dispersed airbases on stretches of roads and cold as gently caress winters.

Single engine and long unrefuelled range is a problem, though. Swedish defense doctrine shaped this part of the Gripen - why have a 2nd engine to get home, when you're already over home?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

That was Nose gear. this was main gear too I think.

The SAS Q400 issues was main gear as well.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MrChips posted:

Yes they are; that's why the Viggen has reverse thrust, which is extremely unusual in any fighter aircraft or any aircraft with afterburning engines. The Gripen (which replaced the Viggen) doesn't have reverse thrust, but has nose wheel brakes, good low speed aerodynamics (which allow for low approach speeds) and an airframe almost as rugged as a carrier-based aircraft (so it can fly steeper approaches and flare less before landing). All of these help keep the Gripen's landing distance to a minimum.

Gripen also angles the canard downward to act as an airbrake during landing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

grover posted:

This was cool as hell :black101: Wasn't expecting it to be so bright from so far away.

I was in Kitty Hawk (to see the Wright Brothers Memorial, among other things) and had a pretty good view. Didn't expect to see it from that far away but I got proved wrong.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Butt Reactor posted:

Try sitting near the rear, behind the wings and by the engine nacelles. I guarantee your ears will start ringing after an hour sitting between those JT8Ds :cawg:

I attribute parts of my hearing loss to way too many non-rev standby trips on American MD80s as a kid, stuck next to the engine.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

And leave it to Japan to put RECARO seats in their airplanes.

Not only Japan, Lufthansa has those godawful Recaro seats as well. United is getting them too.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

A Melted Tarp posted:

The fact that they don't build giant pneumatic tube networks is a loving travesty.

I don't get why Elon Musk is investing in Hyperloop instead of the Alameda-Weehawken Burrito Tunnel

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

They basically got kicked out of Malaysia so yeah they're kinda paranoid.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

kmcormick9 posted:

Something I've always wondered- how do they get the fuel to the airport. If they tankered it in, there would be an endless line of tankers coming down the airport road.
The most obvious answer would be pipeline but that seems like it would be a royal pain to have built and there would have been some spills in the news at some point.

Stockholm Arlanda used to have an endless line of fuel trucks driving basically this route through the city and up to Arlanda. There's a fair amount of traffic on Vallhallavägen and it's more or less a miracle no bad accidents happened. Since 2006 though they ship to a different harbor that has a rail link to a fuel depot near the airport and take it through a pipeline the rest of the way.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

340s are cool as poo poo. Who cares if the manufacturer is out of business?

Saab is still very much in business, they just make Gripens these days.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

For me all US domestic carriers are equally terrible and my only loyalty is to my frequent flyer card. Just switched from StarAlliance (SAS) to Skyteam (KLM) for my transatlantics. Flew Delta for the first time yesterday and it felt just like United - old planes, uninterested flight attendants and you have to change planes in some hellhole.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I had no idea MSP had directs to Asia and Europe.

The amount of godawful early AMS-MSP-AMS flights i've taken... I think I even took one of the last NW DC-10 flights ever on that route.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

simplefish posted:

I want to fly on a 747 because it's iconic - that means I won't be doing it cattle class.

Depending on how quickly they're being phased out of Cathay (and they are) I stand a chance.

e: Lufthansa are the only(?) passenger 748 carrier, so there's that.

KLM still has a load of Combis. I took a ride in the upper deck a month ago to finally cross that off, it was pretty nice despite being the last of KLMs 747's to have the old business class. Still have "ride in the nose" left and "upper deck A380" left on my list.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Saw this pop up on hackernews of all places, but there's a golden Concorde megathread on pprune, with a lot of interesting details from former techs, pilots and flight engineers.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

fknlo posted:

I had a Scandinavian 737 going from sowewhere Scandinavia way to IAH yesterday.

That's the oil route from SVG (Stavanger) to Houston. All business class operated by PrivatAir.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

Well in the video, the pilot said he called Approach on the telephone before departing and asked if he'd likely be accommodated during that time. He made the flight at night after peak traffic had died down and there were sufficient gaps in the sequence.

Seems like he went about it in a very proactive way.

What accomodations for a small plane like that are there at O'Hare?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Delta J in A330 was pretty OK. Delta J in the 767 is like a goddamned coffin. Plus sleep masks don't help when you wake up, smell the breakfast cooking and can't get back to sleep due to being hungry as gently caress.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

If airline coffee doesn't taste delicious you shouldn't be drinking coffee on that flight.

But coffee+grand marnier sounds good.

I just head for dessert wines if I'm in J. Nothing like being lulled to sleep by turbofans and sauternes.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, I got this view

Thanks SAS for having a window in the business class shitter

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Lookit all these people without apple wallet, that poo poo just works. (I also carry a mophie case when traveling too because gently caress those United A320s without power in them).

For content: there's an An-124 parked here at Seatac. That thing is huge.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Apropos marshallers: I've never seen them at airports in europe, they seem to be able to get planes into the gate without them. Why do US airports feel the need to have extra ramp labour waving planes around?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Tsuru posted:

It's not as bad as it looks... On the taxiways to it you are allowed to taxi at up to 50 knots.

Still a 20 minute taxi from Polderbaan to the terminal. And for some reason we land on that every time I have a tight connection at AMS.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Adding "not the taxi way" to my mantra of "not the seawall" when landing at SFO

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

What the hell is the source of the thread title anyway?

Germanwings Flight 9525

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I just saw a Magni Charters 737-200 taxi past here at CUN and it's such cute little stubby airplane

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

kathmandu posted:

That got me to thinking - how many airlines have also had another corporate function? Off the top of my head - EVA Air is closely related (same parent?) to the ocean shipping company Evergreen. Similarly, Hapag-Lloyd used to run an airline as well. Canadian Pacific (which I think was posted a couple pages ago) is more commonly known as a railroad.

Any others?

Maersk Air was a thing for a bit. Color Air, subsidiary of Color Lines (Norwegian cruiseferry line) as well.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

vessbot posted:

Fairly sure there's a wall in between.

Yeah there's a wall. Still not the most fun configuration for lie-flat.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The M90 camo is the best look on a fighter jet

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Didn't realize that flyertalk had merged with SA.

Took what is probably my last lie-flat biz for a while. Despite cabin crew kept the cabin toasty af and the airline not loading my bags in SFO it's still the best way to fly transatlantic

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

after the front got blown off

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

Then you release electric trim, everything is kosher for 5 seconds, and then MCAS kicks you nose down again.

MCAS be like Trim Down For WHAT???

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you down with trucks because Volvo Mack is right there

My dad used to work there as an IT project manager for warranty systems. Dunno how much engineering is there, it's mostly their local HQ - production is in New River Valley VA and Hagerstown MD. Volvo's US HQ is in GSO since it's halfway between the plants and Oriental, NC because the swedes (specifically, from Gothenburg) fukken love sailing and Oriental is a nice sailing harbor.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

ewe2 posted:

The front fell off.

That's not very typical

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I made a 20 minute connection at O’Hare from a 777 to a CRJ200 this June. For some reason they moved the RJ from the C gates originally to the B gate right next to the big boi from SFO and gave me time to get Starbucks. Looking forward to years of delays in the penalty box after that

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Checked in today for my SFO-LAS flight tomorrow and Alaska immediately sent me an email asking for volunteers

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

There’s something deeply ironic upon seeing “Proudly All Boeing” stenciled on the Alaska 737 next to the Alaska A320 I’m boarding

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Cocoa Crispies posted:

AMS is the only airport I've been through where you can clear immigration while remaining inside security.

I don’t think that’s unique at all - from recent memory I could do that in MUC and CPH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Charles posted:

Cool, I was kind of curious how heating oil compared. The smell is kind of like an airport.

Also fuel dumping still happens often enough, guess they didn't get the memo?

If you forget to order heating oil for your furnace (like my scatterbrained coworker) and it magically becomes winter and you can't heat the house, you can run your furnace on a jerrican of diesel from the local petrol station until you can convince the truck to come around