Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Suicide Watch posted:

I like aerospace museums as much as the next guy, but could we make it so this thread isn't a photo dump? It's hard scrolling through a bunch of photos that take a while to load. A few pictures and a link to the rest of the album should suffice.

The Lame megathread is thataway BUDDY. I can understand the need for request for thumbnails, though.

Content: I learned of some crazy cold war tech recently, the TACAMO roll of the E-6 (mil 707):

Long story short, the military would drop a long antenna out the tail and fly steady circles over the ocean. Assuming steady inputs, the antenna would eventually stabilize at the center. Dipping this antenna into the ocean would create a ground plane and allow for communications with dormant submarines through the earth

quote:

Their resolution will provide the necessary survivable strategic command link to the submarine-launched leg of the strategic nuclear triad well into the future
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TACAMO
http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/e-6.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Niven posted:

Does anyone here know anything about the cabin lights in the Dash 8 Q400? I was flyig Porter the other day (regional-ish carrier in eastern canada) and I noticed there was some sort of signalling light on the roof of the cabin.

There were three lights: Amber for when someone hit the call button, green for pilot announcements, and red. Each time the red light came on one of the flight attendants would boot it to the front of the plane, I'm guessing it was just an indicator that the pilot wanted to talk to someone but I couldn't find the answer anywhere online..

"Fasten Seat Belts, Flight Attendants Sit Down" I would imagine. I'm surprised they didn't announce it before takeoff...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
If you're looking to kill a few hours, here's a ~5 hour documentary detailing the 777, from concept through delivery.

Ep1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01PjWv7eqAk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ8kSqOS_H4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOy4RU3GlaA

21st Century Jet - Making the Boeing 777 1-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjEWESFYp54

FYI It's pronounced "triple seven" by the way, not "seven seven seven" :kratos:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Any answer to the Orang photo question?

In case you haven't checked reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEYqGGYXRk
The helicopter buddies recover a crashed RC plane from a tree.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

rscott posted:

So do you guys have any high resolution (high enough to blow up to at least poster size without looking like poo poo) action shots of Boeing airliners, specifically 737s, 777s, and 787s?

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=13&cat=8

1980x1020 You might be able to print from that.

You can try downloading rasterbator. Turn up the resolution and use the office's color printer!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
This is all wild speculation, but I'd guess that weight*position plays a role with the weapons loadout (put the heavier weapons close to center line). Also the side mounted rails likely exclude non-propelled weapon releases (bombs), but I'll let someone with experience chime in.

Are sidewinders effective against helicopters? I imagine those are common in our current wars.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I've been on the flight deck of a 787 and it's drat impressive, aesthetics alone. The pictures don't do it justice. Everything is digital/glass/fancy, like one of them eye-phones.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Phanatic posted:

The whims of Congress. ITAR is loving retarded. For a few years strong encryption was on the list as a munition, so you couldn't even send a floppy disc containing a copy of PGP overseas without risking prosecution. It's one of those things where the law's so labyrinthine and arbitrary that is is for all intents and purposes impossible to comply with it, everybody's probably in violation to some extent, and everyone occasionally gets charged with violating it.

Want an example of how loving retarded it is?

Back in 1995, the UK MoD wanted to buy some special-forces helicopters. Boeing said "Well we can sell you these MH-47Es, they'll do what you want." The MoD said "Well, they'll do more than what we want, we don't need that fancy-rear end glass cockpit, go ahead and rip all that stuff out and replace it with some older boxes." "....okay. If that's what you want, here you go." The MoD called the the Mk3 Chinook, bought 8 of them, took delivery in 2001.

Then the MoD calls Boeing up and says "Hey, guys, can we have the source code for the FCS and such? We need that to be able to certify these things as airworthy by our own internal regulatory process." Boeing says "Um...well, here's the thing. Not only was it not in the contract that you'd receive source code, it's not our source code, it's our supplier's source code. And not only is it our supplier's source code, they can't even give it to you because of ITAR. Yes, that's right, you heard us, you can take delivery of an entire helicopter but you can't take delivery of the source code on which its systems operate. No, this doesn't make sense to us, either."

So the UK ends up spending $350 million on helicopters it can't fly because it can't decide whether or not they're flightworthy. They can only fly at altitudes >500', in clear daylight. Then it spends another $250 million not on figuring out whether they're flightworthy or not, but on *reverting* their flight systems back to the ones on the older Mk2 Chinooks.

ITAR wasn't the sole reason that entire Mk3 program was one long debacle from beginning to end, but it was a big part of it.

What a frustrating ordeal; I imagine their contracts include that clause now. It's surprising they'd overlook the requirement for delivery to include any material for certification, although my perspective is from the commercial world which I imagine is more boiler plate...

Even at the daily paperwork level ITAR has impacts. Everything needs an ITAR stamp spaced at a specified interval. Anything labelled ITAR must be controlled. It's serious stuff...

When you're looking at a spec for a zip tie it sounds ridiculous, but then you hear stories about espionage and the measures begin to sound rational. Apparently Chinese visitors were touring our factory with special shoes to collect metal chips for material analysis. With enough bits and pieces of info you can begin to assemble something of value.

edit:

767-300F!

The UPS freighters are roughly half the 767F fleet. UPS 767Fs are treated as the standard model, with everyone else getting the "general market" version.

wikipedia posted:

A general market version with onboard freight-handling systems, refrigeration capability, and crew facilities was delivered to Asiana Airlines on August 23, 1996.[56]

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 22, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

StandardVC10 posted:

Interesting that they mention Asiana. As far as I know they still have only the one 767-300F. I've always wondered about single-plane subfleets in larger airlines (another example: Icelandair's TF-FIX, their only 757-300 amidst 757-200s.) It seems like it would be a hard thing to schedule around. But I'm really unfamiliar with how airlines schedule their fleets.

The name or definition of an airframe model is pretty subjective to what you're interested in. Some people just care that it's a 767, others only care what engines are on it. The uniqueness can be specific down to the customer or even tail. Looking further into it, the uniqueness of the UPS 767 appears to be mostly internal; just a really large order.

I only hear 3rd hand info about airline operations, but you can imagine commonality is a huge priority. The infrastructure required to operate an airframe is significant; maintenance personal/training, documentation, spares, etc. To justify another set of that would require a huge offset in cost (fuel, reliability, range/payload). I'm sure every airline has an army of accountants running the numbers on these trade offs.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My friend pointed out the tail camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK1Al4WxoU
What purpose does this camera serve?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I think USB outlets+WIFI is the ideal model for IFE. Consumer electronics cycle so fast, any integrated IFE will be stale by the time it's in the air. Provision for the unknown rather than lock yourself down. Bring your own ipad or rent one from the drink cart.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

PatrickBateman posted:

UAL isn't happy with their ife on the 787. The first few airplanes will have an older system since the config was frozen quite some time ago, later airplanes will have a better system installed. Plus it's all post merger stuff. That always throws existing aircraft orders into chaos.

Generally I've seen the airlines order specific features for IFE equipment. Was UAL's order less descriptive? If a config was locked, shouldn't it be locked with the customer's option?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

smackfu posted:

Honestly I would put most IFE issues on crappy software rather than the hardware. Is the software sourced by the carriers or do Boeing / Airbus do it to order?

I believe both can happen, depending on the order. "Buyer furnished equipment" or installed by Boeing. I know little about the software, but I believe IFE stuff is treated like an LRU...

If an airline wanted to redo their IFE software, that would require some level of re-certification, correct?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Phanatic posted:

Second, these things absolutely cause interference. The dirty secret is that so does everything else on an airplane. The microwave oven causes interference, the radios cause interference, every single piece of electronic hardware on the airplane interferes with all the rest (slight exaggeration but not a big one), all the time. So where it's important, that equipment is designed to tell the difference between interference and actual meaningful input.

That's the reality that isn't addressed by policy or public perception. EMI can be calculated and countered through shielding and digital signals.

I've heard an anecdote of Russian contractors being given a simple drawing update for a plane that's out of production but still flying. Inevitably one of the contractors would have a PHD in EMI and would run the analysis, find a potential EMI issue and report it. Unfortunately that configuration had been flying for 30 years with no issues, but since the issue is known, it must be acted on. Go go fleet update!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
So the FAA and Boeing are going to review the 787. The media is playing up a conflict, but the word from Boeing's mouth is more along the lines of "sure"...

quote:

Boeing spokesman John Dern said it was inaccurate that Boeing opposed the review. He said Boeing's discussions with officials were about "the scope and structure of the review" and to "ensure that an accurate picture of the 787's performance" would be reflected in Friday's news conference. "Our engagement with the FAA was cooperative and constructive from the outset," he said.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324081704578235370985104146.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
From reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZtW06NrTm8

Jesus loving christ.

Edit: Watching that a few times, I'm skeptical that wasn't somewhat planned.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 22, 2013

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

SCOTLAND posted:

Here is a pretty good writeup on it http://www.aspireaviation.com/2013/02/14/boeing-777x-787-10-unfazed-by-787-battery-woes/.

The ability to keep the stretch a class E aircraft for only an estimated 400kg seems totally worth it, and from the looks of it the redesign from the original plan has far less that can go wrong.

quote:

Unlike the folding wingtip being studied for the original 777-200 in 1995 that included the aircraft’s slats and ailerons, the 777X’s folding wingtip is only going to include the outermost 11ft (3.35m) of the wings with no moveable parts. In order to quell concerns about the complexity of the folding mechanism and the implications on maintenance costs, Boeing has adopted a folding wing which is a “major scaled-up” version of the carbon fibre reinforced polymer (CFRP) replacement wings for the Northrop Grumman A-6E Intruder fighter jet in the 1980s.

Likewise, the 777X folding wingtip will be operated electrically, with two hinges located where the front and rear wing spars meet the top wing cover and locking pins where the spars meet the lower wing cover, of which the spins are operated electromagnetically.

The 777X folding wingtip is “so simple” and “easy to maintain and operate”, such that the weight penalty of such mechanisms is minimised at 800lbs (362.8kg), compared to the 777-200 folding wingtip’s 3,200lbs (1.45 tonnes).

That sounds like a movable part to me... Still cool, especially the weight savings aspect. And I wouldn't dismiss the gate space savings; it's all about the business case, and apparently Boeing feels there is one.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Battery 101:

Rumor has it the party at fault was charged with being too negative :v:

Edit: I found a video of that E-6B's 5 mile antenna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tWjX-xiVVI&t=120s

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 19, 2013

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Mobius1B7R posted:

I went on a 737 factory tour in Renton and the widebody factory tour in Everett. It is incredible how many 737s they are churning out up there. They said they hope to be at 36 a month in the next couple weeks or so.

The Everett factory was a ground floor tour and the factory there is absolutely massive. We saw the 747 line, the 777 line and the 787 surge line. I got the opportunity to walk around a 777-300ER. Even though I am around planes all day at work, walking around the 77W was amazing. The GE90 is a MASSIVE engine.

I understand the 777 engine shroud diameter is roughly the same as the original 737's fuselage diameter (and the 737-100/200 wingspan is similar to the 777's horizontal stabilizer's span)

With the deets

Regarding part numbers... That's most definitely IP... But I can say it's pretty amazing when everyone follows the rules. The demands of that world are insane - the data has to last the life of the fleet (think spares and crash investigation), handle the frequent revisions, work with tons of systems and disciplines. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_data_management

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 21, 2013

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Outside diameter is 12'4"... And the engine shroud probably adds ~2' to the OD. But like you said, close enough.

http://www.b737.org.uk/techspecsoriginals.htm

I incorrectly thought the Originals/Classics had a smaller diameter than the NGs... Apparently it's just a stretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msb448pb07c

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

CharlesM posted:

Did you do the public tour or a "VIP" tour?

If he was on the ground floor it's likely VIP.

I was able to drive a VIP cart around the Everett factory - soooo fun. Normally you see airline execs (foreigners wearing suits) on these carts. I got a lot of odd looks from the machinists.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Godholio posted:

Basically, the hardware can't handle it and most of it is too unreliable. Roughly a quarter of a typical combat crew is made up of technicians for the comm, computer, and radar systems.

Also, it's a 707 still rocking an almost-original flight deck. The AF is also just now upgrading that, too.

Specifically, they're upgrading the flight deck from the 707 era steam gauges to a modern glass display.

I hear the P-3's replacement was forced when the airframe started to fail, is this what it'll take for the 707 based fleet to retire?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

holocaust bloopers posted:

No upgrade for the flight deck is ever happening. There is no talk about it now outside of whatever meager poo poo the AF has to do to keep the jet compliant in flying transoceanic or whatever FAA stipulates. All the money is being spent in the back.

edit: I've heard this poo poo since 2008 and I find it all incredibly hard to believe that it'll happen any time soon.

quote:

Installation is scheduled to begin on the NATO AWACS aircraft at a Boeing facility in Seattle during the third quarter of 2013. Modification of the U.S. AWACS begins in 2014. Both will be completed by the end of 2015. Production contracts for the remaining aircraft in the fleets will be awarded later.
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2263

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Anyone looking to start an airline? Boeing's website has an interactive tool to help visualize capacity of their planes, new and old.

http://active.boeing.com/commercial/Startup/index.cfm

Obviously this is an approximation of range, but it's interesting to compare performance through the generations. The startup section of their site has lots of interesting information about starting an airline. It's surreal to see how billion dollar business ventures being marketed to like it's Amazon.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

MrChips posted:

This is correct; there are no evac slides for the overwing exits in a 737. IIRC survival rafts are optional for the overwing exits as well.

Your avatar says otherwise :v:

My brother is driving through South Dakota, apparently "a fighter jet" buzzed him in I-90. I love to think the pilot was just messing with him.

Edit:

That's definitely a 737-C
:goonsay:

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 18, 2013

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
About NGS, the name doesn't accurately describe the function of some systems:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_generator#Adsorption_concept

They pull the Oxygen out, producing a nitrogen rich environment. But who cares.

I saw a 787 near Seattle today:

CR7A2131 by BHlavka, on Flickr

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7WMQUDGDD4
Her lack of panic and fear really helps in this situation. I imagine there would be a lot more yelling in real life.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My uncle has been making a kit airplane in his garage for the past few years:

I'll get more details.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
In the news this morning, some 787s have developed hairline cracks in the wings as a result of being poorly assembled:

WSJ posted:

Boeing Co. and a key supplier are inspecting the wings on 43 yet-to-be-delivered 787 Dreamliner jets after discovering hairline cracks caused during manufacture and prompting the aerospace giant to delay deliveries to some airlines.

The latest problem to affect the Dreamliner program stems from fasteners used to connect aluminum shear ties on the wing ribs to the carbon fiber composite wing panel, according to two people familiar with the situation.

The fasteners were over-tightened without the use of manufacturing fillers, compressing a gap in the structure and in some cases caused hairline cracks of less than an inch. If left unchecked can cause unintended stress on the jet's structure and could lead to further damage.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304732804579425543538877488
Edit: WSJ is behind a paywall when you link it, here's another article: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-03-07/business/sns-rt-us-boeing-cracks-20140307_1_wing-cracks-dreamliners-boeing-co
It's unfortunate such a significant supplier messed this up.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Phanatic posted:

Per the account, they were. The issue was that the only CMES action pertained to the rivet repair and the seal repair, not removing the bolts to open the door. So the jobs in SAT and CMES were both closed out, but nobody wrote a Removal order for the bolts so there was no corresponding job to restore the bolts. Officially, the door was never opened, even though opening the door was a physical requirement to replace the damaged seal.

The missing bolts weren't documented, not directly.

If only the Digital Thread was finished, it would have caught those bolts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
B Anon will make their first drop in ACARS