Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
So being in the middle of nowhere Alabama and next to one of the US military's busiest schools allows guys to fly their $10,000+ toys on improved runways for free.

One guy showed up with a miniature F-16 and put everyone to shame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upfsMwb4j74

More videos to follow as I upload them, this thing looked and sounded just like the real thing if you didn't know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

D C posted:

Do you have Parkinsons? Thats basically unwatchable, sorry.

Winds were gusting to 10+ kts and I was using a cell phone so yeah I might as well.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

joat mon posted:

American Helicopter Museum in West Chester PA
and
US Army Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker

The one at Fort Rucker was taken off display because it was deemed too controversial and sits in the museum storage hangar right now. Flight students are allowed to see/get in it only if they talk to the curator.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Commanche pics from the museum at Fort Rucker for those interested (not mine):

http://imgur.com/a/lbvOk

Upon further inspection I noticed the wheels are flat now :(

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Advent Horizon posted:

You've clearly never priced out helicopters. We chartered one for a little less than an hour in June and it cost almost $1500.

Which really says something about the price of an airship ride since their cost of upkeep compared to a helicopter is probably laughable (except for hangar costs).

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

MrYenko posted:

Three words.

Recurrent envelope inspections.

:suicide:

Please explain because I don't know what this is and I genuinely want to know more. Airship envelopes? What?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Gullous posted:

My friend pointed out the tail camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KK1Al4WxoU
What purpose does this camera serve?

Holy poo poo that is fantastic, if nothing else it makes understanding crosswind landings that much easier for non-pilots

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Sagebrush posted:

That is pretty shameful. The Air Force burns up 20 million dollars a day in Jet-A, and they won't chip in to feed the flight crews? Wow.

The Air Force doesn't need to because military pilots tend to plan their flights according to which FBOs are the best. Most airports make bank whenever the military refuels there so they have no problem having all you can eat buffets for 'donations' of $1 or so. The airport gets a reputation for good food and that reputation passes by word of mouth. Some airports go so far as to offer complimentary cars for driving around town, etc.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Sorry, I should have specified that. I'm used to flying around in helicopters so of course its not as big a deal for us.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Thread needs more rotary wing.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

MrYenko posted:

I pride myself on my knowledge of obscure aviation facts, but this one popped a few circuit breakers in my brain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC2E8RJE3Jo

That's pretty impressive, I never would have thought a three engine monster like the 53 could maneuver like that.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Polymerized Cum posted:

Waiting for my partner to go pee (her bladder is the size of a walnut)

Interesting door design there.

IFR with the gunner's window open.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Polymerized Cum posted:

Even though the air conditioning on the BK is so loving powerful it literally blows frost, the ECU is not available during takeoff, climb or landing. Some hot days in the summer, I really wish we could just keep the doors open until 1000' AGL

What's preventing you guys from flying with the doors off?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Question for those of you well versed in FAA certificate requirements:

I have a commercial rotary wing certificate with an instrument rating and would like to rent an R44 from a commercial company for sightseeing use. Does a commercial certificate have all the benefits attributed by a private certificate (since a commercial prerequisite is to hold a private cert)? I'm a military pilot, mind you, so I have never been issued a formal FAA private certificate.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

movax posted:

"Matches Apache capability in being fodder for MANPADS/SAMs"

What was that one raid in Iraq where we sortied a flight of Apaches and all of them came back with varying stages of damage?

To be fair that's because they were flying entirely too low over a city.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

grover posted:

I'll go entire 13-14 hour flights without once having to hit the can. I piss right before takeoff and just huddle up in my window seat, sleeping as much as possible. I usually land slightly dehydrated and have to chug a bottle of water.

This is why I always pick aisle seats and give no fucks as to whether the seatbelt sign is illuminated or not when we're at cruise. A lot of pilots keeps it illuminated just because and it seems like few people understand they're only required to use their seatbelts during takeoff, landing, and turbulence.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Delivery McGee posted:

Oh, the landing gear is the easy way to tell the difference. I always looked at the sponsons and engines.

Relevant:

Photo by my dad.

Back story on this? As a helo pilot myself the only thing making me cringe about this is the presence of rotor blades still on the Huey and it looks like its already yawed.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
IIRC same thing happened when they tried to land a couple V22s in Staten Islamd, NY. Prop wash destroyed much of the park they used as an LZ.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Bob A Feet posted:

Yeah V-22 downwash is from disk loading alone. It was a big deal during developmental testing because a lot of helicopter bigwigs/supporters thought that the downwash would cause brown out that would prevent landing in unprepared or dusty zones, like the one in that video. We also try not to hover land near anything that is fragile ie an unsuspecting person or aircraft holding short to an active cause even if they aren't blown around gravel and poo poo being thrown up is a huge concern.

I'm pretty sure the summary of that video is that they did everything by the book they just didn't expect the downwash to do that much. I've come in that high over trees with almost no effect to them. I guess the only thing they did wrong was landing approach over people.

How bad is visibility when you guys brown out on approaches? I feel like that's gotta be a pretty harrowing experience given there's no chin bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
Pretty much.

http://www.dynamicflight.com/aerodynamics/torque/

The 16.3 twist in UH-60M blades allow the Blackhawk to perform better in higher temperatures and higher altitudes.

If you're a super nerd and like learning about military helicopter aerodynamics, look up Ray Prouty. Even then, the guy who basically wrote the book on military helicopter aerodynamics acknowledges that a lot of the math involved is fuzzy.

e: This video does a really good job or breaking it down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCSwGWnJXNg

Triggs fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 25, 2016