Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I tried by posting that article and telling everyone to shut up about it, but people seem to want to continue it. I'm okay with a probation for anyone that posts on the topic from this point forward though, provided it applies to everyone, because it's derailing this thread for no good reason.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Where could you possibly live that being deported from Saudi Arabia would be a bad thing and not a cause for celebration? North Korea?

If I ever happened to be on one of their planes, I'd piss and poo poo all over it just out of principle because that country is run by some of the worst bastards known to all of humanity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xthetenth posted:

Knowing the Sauds, it's probably a deportation to a place where they will be actively targeted in an ongoing genocide.

As opposed to the risk of being beheaded with a sword after Friday prayers because you claimed the earth revolves around the sun. :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mortabis posted:

So keep your mouth shut.

Saudi Arabia is a shithole but there are many much worse shitholes very nearby.

I don't mean to offend, but is there something very wrong with you?

Considering there's the possibility of execution via beheading for witchcraft and blasphemy, each of which you could be found guilty of for merely talking about reality, I don't see how it could get worse. At least in a war you could die fighting.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Be that as it may, this is probably not the thread to have this discussion in, and I apologise for my error in judgement in bringing it up.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Murgos posted:

These are high tech, high skilled workers. Imagine whats in the panels of your car or house... I've seen like, half a case of beer get left in the spaces between drywall framing and I've only been to a couple of construction sites.

I find that implausible, given the drywallers I know. Reason being: your story involves a full beer and a drywaller presumably being in the same place for some length of time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Heathrow is indeed excellent, at least in Terminal 5. And BA's Galleries Lounge makes the Maple Leaf Club in YYZ look like the complete loving joke that it actually is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

IL-62s look amazing and if you disagree I'll cut you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Phanatic posted:

Bought a bottle of rum at the duty free in Delhi, in the secure area of the airport, past the security checkpoint. Land in Heathrow, head to my connecting flight. Oh, hey, it's another security checkpoint, even though we're already in the secure area of the airport. Yep, they confiscate the bottle of rum.

Yes, that's why you demand the security-sealed duty-free bag at the duty-free store. This is the case everywhere I've ever been.

The alternative is trusting every airport that has a flight going to Heathrow to adhere to the same security standards that the UK and EU do, and that scares me even more than dealing with the mongoloids who staff Heathrow security (they are unbelievably stupid, and about 50% of them have an actual prominent brow-ridge, I swear; I think they might be a relic of an earlier hominid species).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think we need to commission "My Plane Is Fly!" to be written about these fantastic designs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

All aviation and related pursuits are, fundamentally, methods to part humans and their money.

But it's really loving awesome along the way!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm not stupid enough to trust anything I've built with my life or indeed anyone's life.

Design? Maybe. Building? Not a chance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ehnus posted:

But if you're that paranoid about safety you probably shouldn't be building your own airplane in the first place.

Conversely, if you're not really paranoid about safety you should also not be building your own airplane. Sort of a catch-22.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The 747 is the best looking jet airliner ever produced and I will fight anyone that disagrees.

Also, the 747-200 is the best looking passenger variant of the 747, before the upper deck got extended and the lines were ruined.

Sitting at Heathrow and seeing all the BA 747s come and go is quite something. The A380 is, on the other hand, ungainly and hideous.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

slidebite posted:

A380 from SFO-LHR got redirected to YVR and 25 treated for smoke inhalation
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/emergency-landing-vancouver-1.3820082

Why wouldn't it go to YYC? Needed to dump fuel anyhow?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW286

I don't think YYC has an A380-capable gate (for another week at least), and if we do I'm fairly sure that no ground crews here have experience with handling one, whereas I believe they used to have a scheduled A380 service in YVR from somewhere.

I'm guessing they needed to dump fuel before landing anyway, so the extra flight time probably wasn't a big deal. (Edit: Ah! Like you said in your post which I didn't read fully)

Ultimately those are just guesses though, I could be 100% wrong.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

How many crew would be on board for a flight like that on an A380? Presumably 4 pilots minimum, and a whole bunch of cabin crew I would assume. How many of them were not affected would be a relevant question to ask.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Winged kangaroo best kangaroo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think you could piece together one really excellent livery out of all of those.

I'd take the winged kangaroo, the gold cheatline, the QANTAS title font from the third one from the front (still in black, not gold), and the grey tail accent from the most recent one.

This doesn't represent nearly as big a step backward as the most recent (still old, at this point) Air Canada change, though. Why, yes, the ideal colour for a plane is somewhere between sky blue and toothpaste-green! I still have no clue who thought that was a good idea...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

Maybe someone beat senseless by their fellow passengers for taking their carry-on with them...:can:

We can only hope...

(Seriously, though, if someone were blocking an evacuation because they were trying to take their carry-on, it would be completely legitimate to physically move them along, if not actually administer a beating)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When an engine connected to a freshly/fully-fueled wing bursts into flame on a takeoff roll, you do more than "usher someone along" if they decide their carry-on is more important than people's lives. Pretty sure the Good Samaritan law (along with witnesses who were being held up) would protect you from assault charges, too.

Well, yeah, I mean like "you push, drag or carry them out of the goddamn way" not just a gentle nudge. Still, that's hardly a beating (which I would be tempted to administer once everyone is clear of the plane, but would probably restrain myself from).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Ola posted:

It's FedEx, so there's a note on the door and the pilots are available for delivery at the local parcel center.

This made me laugh harder than it should've.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

The 727 was the coolest airliner Boeing ever built. I miss seeing them in the air.

I'll bite: why?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

Because there aren't many airliners with the kind of performance that the 727 has. It could fly in and out of 5000-foot airfields all day long, cruise at up to Mach 0.9 (which back in the bad old days they would do all the loving time) and/or fly transcontinental non-stop. It was at home flying off of a gravel or dirt runway (as First Air and others would do north of 60) as it was in a conventional hub-and-spoke system. Beyond that, it was a rugged and dependable aircraft that was a dream to fly; I've mucked around in a 727 sim and I can vouch for that aspect.

It was a good aircraft, for sure, but Boeing has built a lot of cool airliners with relatively revolutionary capabilities, relative to the markets that need serving when they're being designed and built. 727 is definitely in the running for coolest Boeing airliner, though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The 707 is the best because Tex Johnson rolled it.

This is true.

Really, the only uncool Boeing airliner is the 767, and it's still a very good plane even if it's not cool. EDIT: Unless operated by WestJet apparently, in which case it has the reliability of Lada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Let's also not forget about the coolness of the 747, which is still extremely cool. It's the only double-decker airliner that doesn't look like pure rear end!

EDIT: And passengers can sit ahead of the cockpit which is also pretty goddamn cool, if you ask me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

IMO they were stupid to buy those 767s in the first place; they were rode hard and put away wet by QANTAS, and we're on the edge maintenance-wise when they were stored.

As far as I can tell, it's basically the equivalent of looking at an ad for a suspiciously cheap 172 or something and going "there's no possible way I can lose! What a deal!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Wasn't yesterday the last flight of the 747 into SXM? End of an era...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

No way you could get an A319 into LCY.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Provide much needed depth to the island's gene pool?

I've been there, and this post is not a joke.

Holy gently caress.

Also: what a terrible shithole of an island it was/is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mortabis posted:

I was talking about the plane, not the pilots, but lol. I'm assuming you would base it (and them) somewhere in Africa and not actually on the island if possible.

So, not worth visiting as a tourist then?

Uh, hard to say. It's impressive just how isolated and miserable it is, so I feel like there was some value in having seen it.

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's bad when airship airliners and flying boat airliners both seem like the sensible, cost effective options at this point.

No they don't! You see: it's such a godforsaken rocky hellhole of an island, with such sizeable waves pretty much all the time, that it's actually impossible to "dock" a vessel of any reasonable size on the island. When the current transport ship arrives, goods (and sometimes people) are transferred via a large crane as the ship itself anchors offshore. Visitors from other vessels call the water taxi service on the radio, and you get onto the island by literally swinging on a rope from the small tenders they use, onto the shore.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mortabis posted:

Actually when the airport was built, they built a proper port facility at the same time with breakwaters and everything so you don't have to do that anymore.

This was necessary because the equipment required to build the airport couldn't be moved ashore without it.

Oh, well, that's good! It's been nearly two decades since I was there, I'm glad it's become a slightly less oppressive place to live in the intervening time period.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

God bless the person who figured out how to make turbine engines, is all I can say.

Hopefully their spiritual successor will, at some point in the future, figure out a process for manufacturing them cheaply enough that I could afford to fly a plane that has one!

Sidenote: my buddy works at a turbine repair company, and he was unpacking something that (lucky for him) someone else, possibly at another company, had packed improperly. They turned a part costing six figures into trash by putting the packing screws in the wrong place and denting a critical surface of the part.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Business class doesn't feature the ridiculous showers and poo poo though, that's "first" or "suites" or whatever the gently caress and those aren't on short transatlantic routes.

They don't necessarily need lie flats either, they'd need excellent wifi instead though.

Lie-flats are the best because they have excellent legroom sitting down, as well as lots of positions other than fully flat for you to get comfortable in on a long flight.

Frankly, if the BA flight I flew business on across the ocean had had wifi, it would've been superior to being in my house in most every single way -- comfy, and people bring me food and great booze whenever I ask for no additional money. I don't think, for the same price, I'd give that experience up just to save a few hours.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sellouts posted:

Just fly American. I flew it 2 weeks ago to London and the wifi was spectacular and the seat far better than Club World.

Flying private isn't comfortable for long transatlantic flights compared to First. But it is private and is flexible.

That would take me well out of my way and require me to clear US customs, so nah.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

Better CYFB than Thule Air Base!

What is that, some kind of southern airbase for pussies? Alert, motherfuckers! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert_Airport

(Yeah, I know it doesn't have a long enough [or paved] runway for an A330)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Avro RJ85 carrying the Brazilian Football club Chapecoense went down in the mountains near Medellin Columbia. 72 + 9 crew on board. 6 survivors transported to local hospitals with severe trauma.

The surviving flight attendant said they may have run out of fuel, and I believe I heard that the pilots declared an emergency prior to the crash (which would suggest it wasn't CFIT). If so, well, that's just no good. There are no excuses for not having enough fuel.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Buttcoin purse posted:

I don't have any of the behind-the-scenes information that has been mentioned in the last few pages, but I was shocked by what I actually saw in the cabin when I flew Virgin. They didn't want to give out much bottled water - I think this was supposedly to be environmentally friendly, which I don't believe for a moment to be the real reason - and instead they came around with a jug to fill up the bottle you brought on board with you - which was by now empty since of course it couldn't have much in it to start with - and they were helpfully sticking the jug spout right into the neck of everyone's bottle to spread those germs from person to person. Also the water fountain you used to fill up your bottle yourself was way too small to fit a bottle under, so you tended to end up touching the neck of your bottle to that nozzle too. When it's either that or not drinking at all for 12+ hours, though, what choice do you have?

Light beer, just like the Middle Ages.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

Basically. Though lovely things can happen; I remember the last time Air Canada declared bankruptcy, they wrote off their debts to Nav Canada - and because that was something like 2/3rds of Nav Canada's fees. this meant that in order to recoup the losses, Nav Canada had to double its fees.

This just in re: that South American RJ 45: Fuel. It is important.

That sucks. That's not even a pilot error in the heat of the moment, just lovely carelessness during flight planning. Clearly "human factors."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Who would've guessed an unknown airline in a developing country leasing two planes from a failed airline in a country where they can't consistently stock loving toilet paper in supermarkets, might cut corners. Hoo boy am I ever surprised, I'll tell you what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh sweet holy gently caress. It's just a parade of terrible choices, isn't it?