Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

CommieGIR posted:

When going into its dive, it could submit the pilot to 6-8.5g's which the pilot could only sustain for 3 seconds

Why only 3 seconds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.
G suits provide maybe 1g of protection. I was thinking they hadn't really thought of anti-g straining medically yet.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.
Yah that will definitely have an effect. The reason I asked is because I went for a spin in the centrifuge at NAS Lemoore and the flight doc told us that you should be able to take a high amount of G's (20+) for 3-5 seconds without any straining.

Anyway, back to cool pictures of jets.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Godholio posted:

That's because their jet sucks.

Edit: That's more a GIP post than AI, but oh well. Old Hornets do suck, relatively speaking.

Old Legendary hornets do not suck.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Slo-Tek posted:

And an F-100 picture I took some while back but may not have posted 10 times already

f-100 by RReiheld, on Flickr

Empty trunk. Seems a crime not to have someone else enjoying the ride.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

slidebite posted:

For some reason I think military versions of civilian aircraft are cool. I was pretty much :stare: when I first found out that the Canadian Forces' A310 derived CC-150 Polaris could actually do air-air tanker duty.

poo poo we got civilian aircraft doing air to air refueling for us.

http://www.omegaairrefueling.com/

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

revmoo posted:

Not a pilot, but isn't what what backcourse hold is for?

There are a lot more airports with one localizer than there are airports with a published backcourse approach. And if the weather wasn't lovely enough to warrant it, gently caress I would rather circle to land.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Epic Fail Guy posted:

That wasn't a comedy post. The aircraft we have now are still the best in the world. We do not need a better best to fend off enemies that do not exist.

Take China for example. Their pride and joy, the newest passenger jet they have in production, is cribbed from the MD-90. The MD-90 is a DC-9 derivative, and first flew in 1965.

I know someone else pretty much covered it, but you could not be more wrong, specifically about the capabilities and the near future capabilities of the airframe and training quality of the Chinese.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Previa_fun posted:

It really shows how much longer fighter development takes in the post cold war era. The Blues flew the A-4 for 13 years and at the time that was the longest they had ever operated one aircraft. Now they're at 25 years in the Hornets and with no suitable replacement for the next 10-15 years. They've only in the past few years starting getting a few C model Hornets.

The navy is much more worried about replacing fleet Hornets than what the Blue Angels are going to fly next anyway.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Cygni posted:

Pretty sure Brazil still flies their A-4s off their carrier(s). Pretty old frames to still be doing catapult ops, but pretty rad.

I knew one of these guys pretty well. Odd feeling to go home a fly an aircraft we no longer even trained in.

Octoduck fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 25, 2011

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

fknlo posted:

From the military/former military people I know, this has to be the last thing that would ever come up as a justification for something like this. There's probably a Navy or AF aircraft dumping fuel over your house right now!

We dump so much fuel. Mmmmm.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

iyaayas01 posted:

Info from the AIB report on the F-22 mishap up here last year has been released.

That last bit is certainly interesting given the AIB's conclusion that the mishap is solely due to pilot error. I really didn't like hearing this last bit when I first heard it unofficially a few months back...

:smith:

That link didn't work for me. Was he hypoxic?

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

iyaayas01 posted:

:words:

Hypoxia happens pretty fast at 50,000 feet. Going to have to read through the mishap report.

edit; drat website is down now.

Octoduck fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 18, 2011

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Godholio posted:

You tell me I'm full of poo poo then you post this? The early Hornets were everything you're claiming here, and the Super Hornet has almost no commonality because it's a fundamentally different aircraft. The engines aren't comically underpowered, it's got fantastic maneuverability instantaneous and sustained. It bleeds airspeed in BFM but it's manageable. F-15Cs wiped the floor with Tomcats often enough that the Navy guys are the ones that came up with the term "4-ship wall of death" and I've seen enough examples of Super Hornets giving the Eagles a challenge to throw the flag at your blanket statement. As much as I love the Tomcat, it no longer brought enough unique capability to justify the outrageous maintenance costs and airframe downtime compared to what the new Super Hornets brought.

Not trying to get in the middle here, but are you saying that the Hornet is sluggish and underpowered compared to the Rhino?

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

movax posted:

Yep, additionally FADECs have matured quite a bit as well, making depending on a single engine flying over the ocean blue a little bit safer.

Still, I can assure you there are not too many Navy pilots excited about the prospect of a single engine aircraft.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Advent Horizon posted:

I was referring to single engine fighters. If it goes out, I'd be attempting a restart.

It depends why it went out. It depends what regime of flight you are in.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Sagebrush posted:

Nailed it. I have no idea how they got propane on a fighter jet, but hey. How does the OBOGS work? Is it sucking air from the outside and boosting the oxygen percentage? I should read up on that I guess.

The report also says oil fumes and antifreeze. Propane, petrochemicals and organic aromatics, and that one that went down was from Alaska...I think it's pretty clear that the pilots are all sniffing glue.

[e] yep, it's a nitrogen-adsorbing zeolite. Well, any time you're using outside air, especially from a source like an airfield, you're going to have to deal with contamination. What was wrong with an oxygen bottle in the first place?
[e2] hm. Honeywell says they have "replaced the traditional clay binder with an advanced organic polymer" to better performance and other marketing reasons. Clearly the system designers would know best, but I would definitely look at the experimental polymer if I was having problems with strange organic compounds appearing in my air stream

OBOGS usually works off engine bleed air with some heat exchangers and O2 scrubbers.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Oct posted:

Pretty sure that's VFA-137 with a new paint job.

Yup, that's a flying butt cheek.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.
I refuse to call it anything but The Fighting Falcon.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

movax posted:

e: Update on the story, eyewitnesses say jet was dumping fuel as it crashed. The comments are pretty hilarious though. On the Hornet, if one crew member initiates ejection, does it auto-trigger the other seat as well?

There is a selector switch in the aft cockpit that allows the backseat occupant to initiate ejection for both seats or only their own. With two Hornet aircrew in there, it would be set up so the dude in the back can initiate the sequence. So in most cases either can pull the handle, with the aft cockpit going first.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Hoopy Frood posted:

I've just read this and now I'm a bit confused. Isn't the F-35C meant to be the Super Hornet replacement?

http://defensetech.org/2012/04/16/the-navy-kicks-off-the-search-for-its-next-fighter

"Speaking of F/A-XX, the Navy’s planned 6th generation fighter that will replace the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, below you’ll find the Navy’s brand new Request for Information on the aircraft. By Brand new, I mean it just dropped on Friday.

Whatever jet is selected will hopefully replace the Super Hornets around 2030, said Rear Adm. Donald Gaddis this afternoon at the Navy League’s annual Sea, Air, Space conference in National Harbor, Md. Before the Navy can settle on the final capabilities such a plane will have, it needs to know what types of technology the defense industry can bring to the table for a brand new fighter that will be fielded in less than two decades, said Gaddis. The new jet must be able to survive in anti-access environment, have next-gen sensors and maybe even the ability to ‘buddy’ refuel other fighters and perform airborne early warning (AEW) duties, according to Gaddis."

The 35C is a Hornet replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Is anyone heading to Thunder Over Michigan this year? I'm taking my daughter for some airplane bonding time. Fifi will be there, and a whole bunch of Mustangs, and a Sea Harrier! :v:

We should have a couple of Hornets heading that way.