Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My dad got to hang out with the SU-27s that are in IL right now.

http://www.philhigh.com/Aviation/SU-27-Flanker/11472451_CdXDf#807856217_8YfAN-L-LB

Unfortunately he hasn't uploaded it anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Here's some shots my dad has taken over the years from the end of a runway.

SR71 landing

Concorde taking off

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

ab0z posted:

Your dad is pretty awesome.

I agree, with bonus F15 runway shot.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

Is this off the side of the B-52 that is at Sheppard AFB?

Probably not, he took it in the late 70s as far as I know. He's done a bunch of newer stuff, but he mostly just goes to Oshkosh every year and shoots for EAA.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Geoj posted:

Apparently the Air Force has money in the budget to maintain a golf course in the loving desert :psyduck:

Any idea what these are? http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=32.169389,-110.866619&spn=0.00063,0.00097&z=21 Obviously experimental aircraft of some kind, just kind of surprising to see them in a boneyard.

Of course the Air Force has the money in the budget to maintain a golf course in the desert.

Also, that's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_D-21/M-21

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Preoptopus posted:

I am SO loving excited for EAA just a month away. Anyone else going camping?

I'll be there camping, but I work on the volunteer photo staff.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Boomerjinks posted:

So I've had this SR-71 screw for about a year now, and since I got it I've been entertaining the idea of getting some shavings from it an having them inlaid on the inside of my wedding band. Wedding band arrived today, so I guess it's time to stop fantasizing and start taking steps toward finding out if that is even goddamn POSSIBLE.

Ring is Tungsten with gold inlaid, so soldering won't work(probably?). I've heard talk of micro tigs, but also the idea that tigging would melt the fragile gold of the ring.

fakeedit: yes I've joked about mounting the entire screw just like you see in that picture, that would be hilarious

If only you were in the Midwest, I know a jewelry store that has photographs of airplanes on the wall, and the fan blade section from a turbine on the wall. I'm sure they'd be able to make a SR71 screw integrated into a ring.

**EDIT** In fact.. this photo hangs on the wall

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Slo-Tek posted:

Did I post the pictures from inside the Dornier 24 ATT?

Kinda fun, the doors are ship-style doors that you'd think would close with a mighty clang, but they are actually hollow-core aluminum, and slam like screen doors.

dornierattview by RReiheld, on Flickr

Somewhere I have my dads night photo of this airplane in this very spot, as well as some splashdown pictures of it landing in the lake.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I have an avenger case like that and shell I got from Oshkosh as well. That shell casing and crunched up round look correct to me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Cygni posted:

Participated in a lot of fighter test programs, and as an aside thought Chuck Yager was a dick.

To be fair though, Chuck Yeager is a dick.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My family does some volunteer photography work, which has involved us interacting with him on a number of occasions, and in general he has always just been just kind of a dick to everyone. A bit of a misogynist.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

smackfu posted:

I just assumed he was dead. But he's 88, which seems about right. And that's generally "I don't give a gently caress what people think of me" age.

I think he's had that attitude for far longer than in just in his old age.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Is it just me, or do those look photoshopped?

*edit: might just be the low quality and weird angles

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

slidebite posted:

Silly, the nick he's referring to is the F16 Excavator

I have no idea

Is that the one that ran off the runway at Oshkosh?

It looks like that was the one that ran off @ Oshkosh.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

rcman50166 posted:

Sounds like a simple shot until you think about it. What camera do you use to take a shot like that? How do you actuate the shutter? Would it survive high altitude flight? What kind of paperwork do you have to fill out to make a "modification" to a commercial aircraft? Surely someone was worried about a FOD scenario.

All of that considered, that's a pretty amazing photo.

An SLR, gaffers tape, a giant rear end suction mount, and a remote shutter.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Here's my really lovely cell phone picture of the really cool thing I got to do at Oshkosh.

I was able to get in a B-25 for some other photographs we were taking at night. I'm working on getting them to post.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phanatic posted:

I can't even imagine what the FAA restrictions are on armed civilian aircraft. Would they ever in a million years be allowed to take that thing into the air with loaded Brownings on board?

Maybe all you need is a concealed carry permit.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Rorac posted:

To me, even though it's well past it's prime this looks like it's still ready to go out and gently caress somebody's day up. I'm not sure what it is exactly but it's there.

It's the oil leaks beneath each engine.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Leviathor posted:

Bob Odegaard died in a crash while practicing for the Valley City air show this evening.

https://www.newsdakota.com/2012/09/07/breaking-pilot-dies-in-airplane-crash-at-barnes-county-airport

This makes me really sad. I just saw that airplane at Oshkosh and have seen him fly for a long time.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Not to mention that there should to supposedly 50 or so of them, so hopefully they'll be able to rebuild at least one.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Captain Apollo posted:

OH MY GOD ITS GOING TO FALL ON TOP OF US THE ENGINES HAVE QUIT!

I bet it was the only prop plane you took a picture of that day, huh. For props put the plane into a shutter priority mode, and slow the speed down to 1/400 or 1/640 and you'll have an awesome prop blur!!

My dad always taught me to shoot 1/100th or below to get a good prop blur. I think the general rule is slow that shutter speed down as far as you can shoot the picture sharp.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
What is the point of a fastener like that?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I forgot to post these lovely cell phone pictures from the photo mission I was fortunate to go on at Oshkosh last year.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
:stare: What the heck is going on there?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

dayman posted:

Crazy to see a couple 109's parked next to a P-40.

:confused: There are BF109s in that photo?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
MY GIRLFRIEND and I had the opportunity to get a ride in a Navy N3N that a friend owns. This was both of our first time at the controls of an aircraft, and it was a loving blast. Did some basic turns and some minor high-g banks and rolls. A++ would fly again.

My 318 felt so smooth after riding in it, because of how it vibrated. I need to learn how to fly.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
More N3N pictures..

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Any of you going to be at Oshkosh this year?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Went to Ohskosh and had a great time. I've been going every year since I was born, but this was the first year I paid for a Ford Tri-motor ride. I also managed to get to hang out with some really amazing photographers. Next year I will be most likely volunteering on the photo staff.

Not my image, but an example of some of the great work that gets done there.

Lightbulb Out fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 1, 2013

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Nerobro posted:

I'm going Oshkosh on saturday. Is there anything i should look for? Anything I should try to do? any talks I should make time for?

Have you been before? Just bring sun screen, and try to have a good time. There is so much to see and do that it's really hard to say just one thing. I prefer just hanging out in warbirds. And definitely don't be afraid to talk to people.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I believe I saw a couple Diamond aircraft there, but don't recall seeing a yellow one. I didn't spend a ton of time looking at those airplanes, although I wanted to. I unfortunately wasn't there that long, and was backing up my father.

In regards to the warbirds area, exactly what Slo-tek said. It's amazing some of the people you'll talk to. I've gotten to know some L-39 pilots and mechanics, gotten to climb around and talk to the owner of a B-25, a very excited 65 year old woman who told my girlfriend and I all about her husbands BT13, etc. During lunch Tuesday, I asked to sit down at a table of some older folks who happened to all have worked at the Boeing plant building Apaches. Fun stories, and interesting people for the most part.

The whole place is certainly a thing.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Linedance posted:

Planes should be sleek and streamlined. Helicopters can get away with being bulbous and tumorrific, because they don't have to be sleek and streamlined. The Connie would make a good helicopter.
Bulbous and tumorrific :rolleyes:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

hobbesmaster posted:

The A-10 went all the way back around to pretty. It just looks like it was designed to ruin your day as opposed to say the Su-25 which just looks like another fighter.

But, once the air force got a hold of some...

Yeah, it's almost as if when you add a bunch of radomes and bulbous things to an airplane it looks kind of funny.

Connies are beautiful and you're wrong if you disagree :colbert:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yep. It's awful looking. This?!? This is not.

A-10s are cool as gently caress as well and I never understood why people called them ugly, either.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I'm still standing by my statement that Connies are awesome. I always remember them from when I was a child @ Oshkosh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dExlu488bM4

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
The 777 is a little bulbous and tumorrific for me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Where'd you shoot all these?

Looks like the SAC museum?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Slo-Tek posted:

There is a WB-57 at Oshkosh right now. Kinda wishing I had gone, would have been cool to see, and I could take a better picture than the stuff showing up on the airventure page.

I know people on the photo staff if you want to come shoot them yourself. Whether the editors will let the good images get there is another question, though.

The WB-57 @ Osh is one of the reasons I'm headed up there tomorrow.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Tell me they have one that's not all HDR'd and strangely post processed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

TheFluff posted:

What's the 747 with the goofy fins on the elevator and weird pins all over for?

It's for carrying the space shuttle.