Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's only going to be another 10 or so years now! (But this is an election year and the slowness over the making of this decision is a goddamn embarrassment so)

Fixed wing SAR aircraft choices whittled down to three. These are the C-27J Spartan, the C-130J, and Airbus's C295. There are no Canadian dogs in this hunt as the requirements were rejiggered to get rid of them, for all I know.

I may be a little biased, but the C-130J is probably the best bet in that group, due to the ability to mount internal Benson tanks for air refueling of rotary wing assets. Unless AR isn't what the CAF wants, which could make it any plane's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's the uncool version of the An-72, right?

The gods only know what the politicians RCAF wants. Practically speaking we'd need a plane with some legs that can operate in the far north for SAR. Being able to operate from primitive airfields, a definite plus. Transport stuff: bonus. I suspect that the C-130 and the Spartan have the edge as they share C-130 engines and avionics, which the RCAF already has lots of experience with. If this really is an election year push the criteria might be "which one of you can paint one of your planes in yellow-orangy Canadian SAR colors the fastest because we need to pose next to it and talk about infrastructure investment".

I got to tour the Canadian SAR helo showpiece last year when they came up here for funtimes, and it's awesome and roomy as gently caress, but precludes wandering around needing a refuel which is kinda a thing up north with SAR.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Linedance posted:

:lol:
The best is they guy running. Just booking it.

"NOPE NOT TAKING A PISS TEST TODAY!"

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

drgitlin posted:

General Electric makes airplane engines and TV shows. Your point is what?

And big fuckoff guns.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Nebakenezzer posted:

Here's a question: does anybody know what is actually needed in this role? I was thinking about it at work today, and I gotta admit I've no idea if they need payload capibility, range, or just the ability to take off and land on dirt strips.

SAR dude here. It depends on the role they want the aircraft to play. Is it running as a chase car to rotary-wing assets? Is it going to be refueling said rotary wings? Is it going to be a long range search vehicle which then hands off the boots-on-the-ground stuff to rotary-wing? What kind of terrain is the primary search area? Is it going to be providing CAS during combat? Is it going to be playing a C3 role?

There a lot of factors all dependent on what they want this bird to do.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

MrChips posted:

For this role, payload and range aren't hugely important, as the aircraft being replaced (the Buffalo) isn't exactly strong in those areas.

The current outlined requirements and the desired requirements of next gen are rarely the same, as evidenced by the HC-130P/N CK II over the CK I. Which is why I get to work on a plane that's a fleet of 6 rather than a fleet of 60. There's even TO specs that specify we do things to Frankenstein (88-2103) that we do to no other plane in the usaf inventory because usable 25 year old test bed.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
That's a full on barrier kit kinda spill.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Holy loving poo poo. Do they sell a tall (IE: 10"Hx6"W) version? I have a work test bench I want to build and one of those would be perfect.

E: I should probably just pester Borsight into sending me one of their faceplates and wire it to a teensy/compy combo and sell it back to them as an RTIC simulator solution.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 9, 2015

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

holocaust bloopers posted:

I distinctly remember having a book about every plane in the USAF inventory from the early 90's. I saw the AWACS, and even as a 6th grader, I thought that was a dumb looking airplane.

If only I could've warned past me.

You and me both brother. Spent prime 7 years of my life fixing that ridiculous flying groundstation.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

MrChips posted:

The An-124 and the 747 are, in broad terms, largely the same size. However, when you start looking at more specific meaaurements, some pretty large differences emerge. The An-124 has a larger diameter fuselage and the cargo deck height is much higher than the 747, nor does it have the height restriction imposed by the upper deck floor intruding into the main deck ceiling. As a result, the An-124 can carry much larger cargo than the 747.

I have seen both the An-124 and An-225 land and take off, and the sheer monolithic size and payload is just :stare: It's one of those things that makes you go "Humans made this? Jesus."

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
We had tho watch "The Missile Knows Where it is..." in tech school as a serious AF produced training video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZe5J8SVCYQ

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Found this neat little documentary about the F5. I have a real soft spot for the F5, its lines are just so perfect and it looks fast as hell sitting on teh tarmac.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDfs6s4tbA

I got to see the MCAS Miramar F5 aggressor squadron back in December, and they were painted in some of the coolest schemes ever.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Man the Pickle Suit looks like it was a hella comfortable uniform.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Shithooks ruin everything.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
"sooo, we put the prop-plane in line with the pilots, what else can we do to make this less safe?"

"Uhh give them en engine right below their feet?"

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Capt. Morgan posted:

"An F-5N Tiger II, belonging to U.S. Marine Corps Fighter Training Squadron 401 (VMFT-401), approaches Marine Corps Air Station Yuma for a landing, flying over a busy 32nd Street in the process. The squardon, known as the "Snipers", is the only adversary squadron in the Marine Corps. Referred to as "aggressors," the squadron serves as the enemy in air-to-air combat situations"

Got to work out of the VMFT-401 DET 1 hangar down at MCAS Miramar last December, and holy moly, F-5N's are tiny, like supercub tiny, but they look like a blast to fly. The Agressor paint schemes were awesome too.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I think that color is rather fetching on the Ospreys.

When I was down at 29 Palms a few years back, I got given an awesome tour of the ospreys there with us by a crustyass old gunnery sgt that had been with them for the majority of his career. He said he was on board for the test in which they emergency landed with the props still vertical. The props, being composite, basically disintigrate into "broom straw".

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I want a shot of the instrument clusters. Just ballparking but it looks like an TAS of 150kt+

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

MrYenko posted:

Air Force question: when an airframe goes away for a heavy check (and I realize that the scope and downtime can vary wildly between airframe types,) does the owning unit get another airframe subbed in until theirs comes back, or do they just have enough airframes assigned to them to (theoretically) maintain the notional squadron/wing strength, despite birds being in the depot having their insides taken out?

Nope, unless for some retarded reason we are really low on aircraft (I'M LOOKING AT YOU PS&D), and we can beg one off of another unit.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Hermsgervørden posted:

http://bit.ly/1LTxeaC A Coast Guard rescue helicopter crash landed at SFO yesterday afternoon. I'm used to seeing CG birds fly past pretty much every day, and yesterday I saw one flying toward SFO at around that time, so I would not be at all surprised if it was this one. Glad the crew walked away.

Acknowledging that until the actual investigation is complete all speculation is utterly baseless, any rotor-drivers want to speculate baselessly on why this one flopped over?

Stability augmentation system failure/uncommanded flight surfaces input from from SAS? It says a maintainer was on board, and that very well could be what they were trying to diagnose.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
We took a shitton of hail heading to Mongolia a couple weeks ago. I'll see if I can get some pics in the morning, but I've never seen a C-130 nose radome so damaged. The new radome is so shiny it looks fake from across the ramp.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Godholio posted:

And Balls 9 didn't kill us on the flight back, even though we ran a training mission before heading home.

I always wanted the engine covers for balls 9 to be a giant-eared gremlin with David Bowie Labyrinth hair with the caption "Gremlin King".

Here's my day at the office: chasing down a weird VHF-writeup ghost, while getting to look out the window to see mama trailing some ducklings:

Sorry for dirty windows I guess.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Fun fact: we run them even in the summer because they can land on muskeg and glaciers without sinking in. And they have giant green feet painted on the bottom side, because we paint/tag it on everything in the rescue community.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea, I have a buddy who was a CSAR eng. CSAR loves their green feet.

Are you with the Alaska ANG dudes?

That's camp bastion maybe 2012-2014, but those ain't my friends or my birds. We were there during the "withdrawl" in 2012. I'll try to find a video in the morning.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

simplefish posted:

What is Balls 9?

E-3 Sentry tail number 83-0009.

This sumbitch right here:

Not pictured: 15 maintainers screaming at it because of all of the gremlins.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Electrical, 1553 data bus, basically anything with wires.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
It felt like a cathedral inside when I got to tour one.

e: "SO MUCH ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES!"

spookykid fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 3, 2015

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

You write some of the no-poo poo most interesting posts I've ever read.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

movax posted:

From what I've heard, unreliability has a high correlation with the quality of weather / locale the jet happens to be in.

And whether or not they use the kneeling system, which is a pain if it breaks.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I've personally called Coast Guard Comm-Station Kodiak from Honolulu at night over HF for troubleshooting, and while they may not come back crystal clear, it's a cool demonstrator of HF's Ionospheric Propagation.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
C-17: the life-vest-lumbar-support special.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Nah mang, Blackhawks/Pavehawks are just spray and pray. Freshwater rinse, maybe some soap for some hard-to-reach areas, them things is golden. There's a reason that a blood/body-fluids rinse is named a CARWASH in Afghanistan.

E: of course I don't have some weird second-hand PTSD from cleaning that out of helicopters for a tour, why do you ask?

spookykid fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 4, 2015

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah, but you're not cleaning out the cockpit. You know those lovely electronics are hosed. They're going to be chasing electrical gremlins for months.

Funny enough, if you're gentle, the cockpit can be sprayed out too, as almost all of the control heads are environmentally sealed to some extent, and most everything else is a rag and some water/iso-alcohol away from being "clean" again.

e: and any water that gets into anything gets out in a hurry too in 110° weather with <5% humidity.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

When were you there? I called for lots of carwashes in the summer of 2012.

Got it in one, Camp Bastion/Leatherneck over the summer of 2012, was there for that mess with the Afghanis going all Fury Road with green spraypaint and blowing up the AV-8's.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The most US aircraft lost in a single day since the Vietnam war

E:fb

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

slidebite posted:

What is Mr. Bean doing in the background?

He's about to fall into the forward lower compartment because some rear end in a top hat maintainer left it open.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Cat Mattress posted:

Then obviously what we need to ban is practice, not airshows.

SITKA 43 would agree with you.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Previa_fun posted:

I've heard the Snowbirds and a lot of European jet teams blow both the Blues and Birds out of the water, but I haven't had a chance to see any of them fly before either.

Here, have a ride-along with the Swiss team (it's a 360 video, click and drag on PC to move the view around, or on your phone the accelerametors will do the same thing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZ02-Qenso

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Sanguine posted:

'They've got tracker things that break off when a ship sinks and can tell you where it is why can't planes' (cough cough conspiracy terrorist cough)

:goonsay:

That is a thing on boats.

And we're headed that way with aircraft with 406mhz registered beacons. I'm pretty sure all the Malaysia plane had was an old 121.5 beacon though, which does not help unless someone already knows generally where to start looking for you.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

MrChips posted:

406 ELTs have been mandated in aviation for a while now.

There are several generations of 406, not all of which have been forced onto all of the countries. Certainly the newest, which burst-transmits gps coords and doesn't just rely on sat-triangulation (older 406) aren't worldwide madated yet?

But who's to say that they were up on their battery time changes, actually did G-switch checks, and routinely tested their equipment functionality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

CommieGIR posted:

I know a lot of military aircraft still carry 121.5 transmitters only. Dunno about civilian cargo.

We all got kicked into the 406 world starting about 2 years ago. Mind you, the new ELT's still squawk on 121.5 and 243, but the primary locator is 406. Ask me about upgrading 23 aircraft and registering them all with NOAA over the course of 5 months! :suicide: