Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

...and here's the really strange part, for those that didn't click through:

quote:

In 1954, at age 10, Mr Porter survived a crash that claimed the lives of his father and brother in the same type of aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Update from Harbour Air, The World’s Largest Seaplane Airline™️:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/02/21/man-reportedly-takes-off-in-stolen-float-plane-crashes-into-another-in-vancouver/

The wing looks 😞. They’ve cordoned off the terminal, bringing in the fingerprint unit and are rerouting people their Fraser River Terminal.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Initial findings from that Snowbird crash are showing that a bird strike was a likely cause:

CBC posted:

Canadian air force crash investigators are looking at a bird strike as the probable cause of the crash of a Snowbird demonstration jet in Kamloops, British Columbia last month.

The accident killed Capt. Jenn Casey, the public affairs officer for the aerobatics team.

In a preliminary report issued Monday, investigators said video footage from the crash showed a bird was very close to the right-side air intake of the aircraft's single engine during takeoff. It's possible the bird struck the air intake, the report suggested.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/snowbird-crash-report-1.5593259

loving birds. Ugh.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Floatplane flipped earlier today after hitting a sandbar near Tofino. This is the very same company that had a crash over a decade ago where none survived.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/local/vancouver-island/2021/7/26/1_5523765.html

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Advent Horizon posted:

Float flying is inherently dangerous. Hitting a sandbar, possibly one that moves, is a risk that is taken on many flights. The ‘runways’ are not lit, marked, and are constantly moving. The landing ‘gear’ has no brakes, the surface elevation can change (by 7+ meters in some places going by tides). There are not usually wind socks and spray means you might not get a clear view out the window.

The fact that we have as few fatal incidents as we do is, simply, amazing.

One major incident in a float fleet every 10 years is a pretty good record and I would not hesitate to fly with them.

Agreed. And I have flown with them. I brought up the earlier crash as it was previously discussed in this thread, which I ought to have mentioned.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Another notch on the belt for float planes in Tofino crashing on landing/takeoff:

quote:

There were no injuries reported after a float plane capsized in Tofino’s harbour Monday afternoon.

The Tofino Harbour Authority said the Coast Guard was on scene after the capsizing of the plane, which could be seen with its nose submerged in the water.

Witness Trevor Hartland told CHEK News that he saw the plane landing when its nose hit the water, followed by a wing of the plane going underwater.

“The second it landed it flipped over,” he said. “It started floating away and 10-15 boats immediately started rushing out to it.”

Hartland said emergency vehicles were also stationed near the First Street Dock.

Another witness who posted video of the incident to YouTube noted that the aircraft appeared to be landing close to the dock and collided with a boat.

coming in,” said Graeme Martell in the video. “The plane came in hot super close to the dock and they collided.”

https://www.cheknews.ca/no-injuries-reported-after-float-plane-capsizes-in-tofino-harbour-901230/

Unclear if this is the same outfit that had one of their planes flip after hitting a sandbar earlier this year - see my previous post from earlier this year.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Made my first complaint to Transport Canada today.

[quote=]

I’m emailing with regard to aircraft C-GXDQ. This aircraft is registered to Twin Aviation Inc. I am requesting that TC investigate the below matter to ensure that this pilot does not continue to endanger the safety of those in the region.

I reside in Esquimalt BC. I was up early on Friday morning (June 17) to catch the 7am ferry. I was grabbing my morning coffee when I heard a plane nearby. It sounded like a really low pass.

We live on the flight path for Harbour Air so I thought it might be one of their twin otters. A few minutes later I heard the plane again. At this point I looked out my window – it sounded really close, much closer and louder than the twin otters we so regularly hear.

Looking at the plane, I could see that it wasn’t a Harbour Air plane.

So I pulled up flight aware to see who would be flying at such an early hour: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGXDQ

Flight aware showed that there was only one plane in the region at that hour: C-GXDQ. As I was going about my morning, I heard this plane do at least 4 passes over my house. All at extremely low elevation.

This was confirmed when I looked at the flight log on flight aware. The track from Friday morning shows that they did multiple passes over Victoria/Esquimalt during their flight. At times they were as low as 61 meters.

The flight data available on flightaware shows the aircraft at 61m of elevation at 48°27’00.0”N 123°25’12.0”W at 5:31 am.

This is four blocks from our house.

I also understand that this is not the first instance where this has occurred for this plane: in 2010 they were found to have engaged in similar behavior in Vancouver. Low passes over a residential area early in the morning.

I can see no basis for which this pilot needed to engage in such dangerous behavior with clear disregard for the folks living in the area.

I am requesting that TC investigate this matter directly to confirm the above and take steps to ensure that this pilot does not continue with this behavior. Please confirm receipt of this email and I would appreciate being kept appraised of what corrective measures are taken against this pilot.

[/quote]

To be clear, I have zero issues with living on the flight path for Harbour Air.

But 61m. 😮‍💨😮‍💨

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

blindjoe posted:

I bet they are spraying for Lymantria Moths? There was a spray over View Royal on June 17

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/forestry/managing-our-forest-resources/forest-health/invasive-forest-pests/lymantria/news

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33932332@N07/33930856203/in/photostream/
This photo shows that plane having some spray looking things mounted on the wings.

In the spray website, it says it will start at 530am and go as late as 830 am.

So thats exactly what you saw.

Wow. This fits. Thanks for this. Love this thread. ❤️

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, I assume you wrote TC and retracted your complaint?

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
From a local YKA Facebook Group:

FB caption says this was a water bomber conversion that crashed in 1960. Other comments say it was a crop duster.

Now located at the museum of flight in Seattle.