Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sprawl posted:

If they were going to they would have started with a big game that would have sold anyways like Mass Effect 2.

True. My thought though was that the DRM wasn't finished yet for when they wanted to get Mass Effect 2 out the door. EA is probably testing the waters and when it fails with C&C 4, they will hopefully dump it and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

I said come in! posted:

True. My thought though was that the DRM wasn't finished yet for when they wanted to get Mass Effect 2 out the door. EA is probably testing the waters and when it fails with C&C 4, they will hopefully dump it and never look back.

Well its also a terrible game but lets hope they dont realize that.

RedNeptune
Jun 21, 2006

Oh how I love me some Command and Conquer.

quote:

Command & Conquer - Sole Survivor (1997)
Sole Survivor was by far the worst release from Westwood Studios. It was designed as something to try and take the C&C games into Quake- or UT-like top-down deathmatch territory, where players controlled a single unit on the map and had to collect crates to power them up, then try and kill the other players. It had absolutely no singleplayer mode. tl;dr - STAY AWAY AS FAR AS POSSIBLE.

No, no, no!

This was my first experience with online gaming and for some reason I just clicked with this game. It was definitely a much different experience than the other C&C games but still tons of fun. The APC was monstrous.

At one point I was ranked 40th on the ladder... which I'm still proud of to this day. :haw:

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
RA2/Tiberium Sun were both amazing, yet C&C3/RA3 both sucked really hard (HI EA). Generals was fun too, multiplayer was pretty fun.

edit: That was a fabulous OP btw.

Thinkmeats
Feb 10, 2004

Chicken pot SPY!
Excellent OP, more work went into that post than went into all of command and conquer 4

Good job on killing one of the best RTS series ever made, EA: I can't wait for the day your company learns to do anything right in any way

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007
Pity what's happening with C&C4. It sounds like there's not even a dev team left to fix the bugs present at launch, much less anybody left to worry about balancing it or adding more content. So I'm going to talk about a much better game.

Playing Red Alert 3's campaigns cooperatively with a buddy is probably the most fun I've had with any RTS game in the 15+ years I've been playing the genre. If you haven't played it that way I highly recommend it, particularly the Allied campaign since that's where the best missions all seem to be. Playing something like the Mount Rushmore mission blind for the first time was both tense and hilarious. It's disappointing (and really baffling) that they didn't make the expansion cooperative as well.

For everybody who thought RA3 was too silly, I'd recommend giving the Japanese campaign a try. I actually thought it took itself too seriously, so maybe that'd be more your taste. While there are the usual goofy units and objectives, the briefings themselves seem light on the sort of insane plot developments and lovably overacted characters that make the Soviet and Allied campaigns such a delight to me. With the obvious exception of Robo-Ackerman, which I thought was the high point of that campaign.

And it can't be repeated enough that this thread has a first rate OP.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
I gotta say on one hand I thought CnC4 was bad, but as I've played it more and more today I must say that the hideous amount of bugs aside, the game is actually pretty fun and rather micro intensive.

Of course, they still need to work out the fact that half the units in the game are poo poo-awful.

It's not a CnC, don't expect it. It's a completely new experience, but it's worth a shot if they manage to balance/patch it enough.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Booyah posted:

It's not a CnC, don't expect it. It's a completely new experience, but it's worth a shot if they manage to balance/patch it enough.

Some people said they fired everyone so I don't think that's going to happen but what do I know.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

C&C3 was loving awesome; hating on EA hasnt been the cool thing to do for a few years now guys.

Havent had chance to play C&C4 yet; the change in gameplay mechanics is welcome though, even if it is ripped from COH.

But then again HURR EA LACKS INOVATION HURR

You are totally right, after the last couple years I had stopped hating on EA, I liked C&C3, but this game is truly terrible.

EDIT: And I totally hate EA again. gently caress those guys I was happy they were kind of keeping it alive at first.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 18, 2010

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

If anyone is looking to have the Razor Blade Dildo of Dissapointment shoved even farther up the rear end, here's the cut-scene that ends the Tiberium series.

For the very small portion of people that are playing this game,
:siren:DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THROUGH C&C4! THIS IS THE END OF GAME FMV!:siren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCvarf8M-zo

edit: :siren:NOD VERSION:siren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwMaglXmVrU

A Nice Big Dinner fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 18, 2010

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BigJoe posted:

If anyone is looking to have the Razor Blade Dildo of Dissapointment shoved even farther up the rear end, here's the cut-scene that ends the Tiberium series.

:siren:DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THROUGH C&C4! THIS IS THE END OF GAME FMV!:siren:

Wow. I was happy with where Kane's Wrath ended. I am not happy. What kind of lovely ending is this.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I don't know what to say. I really don't. :geno:

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004

BigJoe posted:

StupidFatHobbit posted:

I just watched a few of the gameplay videos of 4 and it looks so unbelievably bad I don't even want to pirate it. I'll just check youtube/wikipedia in a few months for the cutscenes/story but I have a good feeling they'll gently caress that up reliably too. EA is such a goddamn abortion of a company.

did I not loving call that or what

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Having no real intention of playing C&C4 I watched that, and I really thought it was a fanmade prank.

Good lord.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Wipfmetz posted:

May I ask for a link? I'm not willing to accept that a big budget videogame in 2010 isn't running on 64Bit.

That's just what the support staff told me when I did their live chat thing. Apparently, it's wrong, as I did manage to get the game working, so I guess the support guys just talk out their rear end.

EDIT: welp. that's an ending alright. I mean, it... why.

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 18, 2010

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Crap.

I'm torn between waiting for a very sudden price drop (which this game will get, considering the quality) and playing some 5VS5 online matches with the other nine people that will keep playing after seeing the entire apparently horrible conclusion with my own eyes, or just biting the bullet and seeing the endings and get it over with, thereby skipping the grind and the teary wife.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have no idea what's happening in those endings but there's no way they could possibly get any better even with context

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004

Tecman posted:

Crap.

I'm torn between waiting for a very sudden price drop (which this game will get, considering the quality) and playing some 5VS5 online matches with the other nine people that will keep playing after seeing the entire apparently horrible conclusion with my own eyes, or just biting the bullet and seeing the endings and get it over with, thereby skipping the grind and the teary wife.

Just watch them and you will be insanely thankful that you didn't spend any time or money on this game, as if you really needed any more reasons.

Hell, the time you spent typing up the CnC4 description alone is far more time than this game ever deserved.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

BigJoe posted:

That was horrible. They really thought this was a good way to end the series?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
"Kane's gone? YEAH RIGHT!" :smugbert:

Aaaaha...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Aaaaha...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

*camera lingers as he swaggers away*

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Isn't that Daniel Kucan, Joe's brother?

Holy gently caress it is, and they're shooting that shot in front of the ICANN headquarters, which is a block or two down from EALA.

loving hell, this just met the cinematography level of high school AV class.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 18, 2010

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma

BigJoe posted:

Haha this is loving terrible I will buy this game when its 5 dollars.

vvv = i'm glad you got your refund, i knew it was worth a try.

FearOfABlackKnob fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 18, 2010

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I got my refund by the way. When I watched the promotional videos last month with like 15 minutes of lead designer interviews and they mentioned nothing about the changes and made it look like it was traditional c&c with 3 different types of construction yard. What a heartbreaker. This is the series that started me on pc gaming. At least with dow2 you knew what you were getting. Also how is this even remotely like company of heroes!? I'm asking because I like coh and I don't see the comparison, coh had resources and bases right?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
The only way they could top the abortion that seems to be this game's storyline ( :psyduck: :wtc: ) is if they re-released the first game and butchered that as well.

Rape the ending, rape the beginning.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I play the C&C games for a dorky but fun single player RTS. The single player is awful. There's no resources, it doesn't matter what you kill, because there's no penalty for dying, because everything respawns instantly, both you and the enemies. Not to mention that things don't even die fast, you slowly chip away at a heavy tank, then it respawns instantly.

In order to advance, you have to just walk your base wherever you want to go. If it dies it's ok cause you just bring in another one. Hell, they teach you how to blow up your base on purpose in the second tutorial or something.

I don't even get how this is supposed to be fun(?)

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I can imagine Kucan standing infront of the green screen just thinking about all the cool poo poo they'd edit in behind him for the series climax. :smith:

Also, so the commander's some kind of robot or something?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man, about 20ish tier one air units and I'm at my cap, this sucks.

edit: The music is inappropriately epic but decent, and some of the unit voices are good. That's about the only positive thoughts I've had so far

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 18, 2010

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

BigJoe posted:

wow...i want that 8 minutes of my life back...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BigJoe posted:

It's like they played MGS 4 and said... lets copy this guys.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I said come in! posted:

It's like they played MGS 4 and said... lets copy this guys.

The music sounds like a poor Chinese knock-off of Battlestar Galactica.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm watching this with no sound and polish subtitles. I can't imagine anything making this better than it is now. What I do know is that my attitude towards EA went from "cautiously optimistic" to, uh, well I'll tell you what it's now when I decide to watch this with sound on.

Though now that they're done with C&C, in more ways than one, maybe EA will try their hands at something else, like turn based strategy. They do own the rights to Alpha Centauri...

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So one of the longest running and celebrated PC franchises ends on that. Even as retarded as SupCom2 is, it beats that.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Rudager posted:

The music sounds like a poor Chinese knock-off of Battlestar Galactica.

With a special guest appearance of

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL

Unormal posted:

Yeah, I play the C&C games for a dorky but fun single player RTS. The single player is awful. There's no resources, it doesn't matter what you kill, because there's no penalty for dying, because everything respawns instantly, both you and the enemies. Not to mention that things don't even die fast, you slowly chip away at a heavy tank, then it respawns instantly.

In order to advance, you have to just walk your base wherever you want to go. If it dies it's ok cause you just bring in another one. Hell, they teach you how to blow up your base on purpose in the second tutorial or something.

I don't even get how this is supposed to be fun(?)

Amen brother.

I am not partisan to any one style of RTS play. I played the poo poo out of C&C, StarCraft, DOW2, each game when examined using it's design makes sense, and if it appeals to you can be fun.

When you look at the actual gameplay of C&C4 though it doesn't make any sense. I have 5 different units which are strong against "HEAVY" does it matter which one I build, poo poo I don't know there's no difference. Also it doesn't matter how strong a unit is against something because if you spend all your command points on a unit that's strong against another type, even when fighting that type it will take you (not kidding) approximately 8 seconds of firing on the unit to kill it. That wouldn't be bad if there were 2-3 units per battle. Routinely I end up having an entire fleet of ant infantry units in a battle against infantry that lasts 8-10 minutes, while objectives are flying all over the screen, which I can't complete simply because I can't push the enemy out of the way fast enough.

Also anyone who dismisses RA3 multiplayer has their head so far up their rear end it's not even funny. It's not as popular as starcraft sure, but it's really good in it's own right. Plus I love the special ability system, which changes the unit interaction drastically.

Javaman98 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 18, 2010

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
I was starting to enjoy CNC4 until something in my brain switched on and I realized this game is retarded (a little too late lol). It's like they had some solid ideas that were just strung together with no real rhyme or reason. For me CNC has been about the SP so even the unit balancing isn't the real reason I don't like it. Some of the missions are really easy, and then there's ones where you have too many loving objectives stacked onto each other as you advance through the level. The story and presentation started of pretty cool if you're actually into Command & Conquer lore and all, but it gets real stupid real fast, and the way they ended it...

That said, I probably would have wanted to buy the game regardless of whatever bad reviews have/will come out just because I like the series, but goddamn was I let down. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece based on the new changes, which sounded pretty cool when I read about them, but really this game just falls flat for even the bigger CNC fans.

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL
Anyone got any tips on how to beat The Harder They Fall. It takes me like 6 minutes just to take out 1 base surrounding the anti air cannons, and even when I manage to hold three of them, the airship passes nowhere near them. I feel like I'm missing how to even play this game when it comes to this mission because it doesn't seem beatable.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick

Javaman98 posted:

Anyone got any tips on how to beat The Harder They Fall. It takes me like 6 minutes just to take out 1 base surrounding the anti air cannons, and even when I manage to hold three of them, the airship passes nowhere near them. I feel like I'm missing how to even play this game when it comes to this mission because it doesn't seem beatable.

Build reavers. Lots of them. Maybe an engi or two. I just nested near the top where the ship first comes out with a poo poo ton of reavers and missile turrets. Before I figured out this is the only way you could probably beat it, I failed the mission like four times trying to figure out a way to use the anti-air turrets better.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I thought c&c3 was probably the most epic and awesome single player rts campaign ever made, I was soooooo stoked for c&c4. RA3/generals was OK, but I never did the co-op which I hear is the whole point. Also I like anno and the settlers, so base building mechanics is something I can't stand developers dicking around with. If someone made dwarf fortress into a commercially viable RTS I would die happy. Let me turtle or give me death.

e; I like the way DoW1/CoH nudged you twords being more offensive, but games like DoW2 take it too far imo, in the name of fast-paced multiplayer I guess.

Umph fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004

Umph posted:

I thought c&c3 was probably the most epic and awesome single player rts campaign ever made, I was soooooo stoked for c&c4. RA3/generals was OK, but I never did the co-op which I hear is the whole point. Also I like anno and the settlers, so base building mechanics is something I can't stand developers dicking around with. If someone made dwarf fortress into a commercially viable RTS I would die happy. Let me turtle or give me death.

e; I like the way DoW1/CoH nudged you twords being more offensive, but games like DoW2 take it too far imo, in the name of fast-paced multiplayer I guess.

Yeah CnC3 pre-patch-fuckups isn't getting enough appreciation in here and the single player was the best one since Tiberian Dawn. It really felt like when CnC3 was made they decided "hey let's just try to essentially make Dawn in a modern engine but keep more or less as much of the original feel that we can" and they did a pretty good job. If only they had just maintained it properly I might still be playing it. :(

• Locked thread