Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

caffeinefree posted:

can someone just spoil the whole plot for me because jesus christ

Kane's Wraith ended on a really cool cliffhanger :|

Absolutely nothing whatsoever is revealed or explained, so read on if you want to be disappointed

Earth has almost been completely destroyed by Tiberium, and humanity is on the verge of extinction. At this point, Kane makes a truce with GDI and helps them design a Tiberium Control network (TCN) that, once complete, will roll back the growth of Tiberium.

Years later, the TCN is almost complete. You are a GDI commander who has been blinded in battle. As a result, you have been fitted with experimental implants that restore your sight, but also for some reason give you visions of the Scrin Tower.

After the first few missions fighting against NOD extremists who oppose the truce, the truce falls apart as GDI Colonel James turns on Kane. At this point, you choose between sticking with GDI or following Kane.

The GDI missions follow Colonel James as she fights against NOD as well as the GDI government who she sees as too weak to face the real threat of Kane and NOD. James is willing to go to any lengths to win the war, even being willing to cause massive civilian casualties if necessary. At some point your wife is killed, supposedly by Kane, but it turns out that it was actually a friendly fire incident covered up by James.

The NOD missions follow Kane as he fights against the NOD extremists as well as James' GDI faction. Kane makes a few oblique references to being thousands of years old and having guided human technological development, but there's nothing hugely revelatory.

Either way, the TCN is completed and you end up at the tower. Kane tells you that 5 people were given your implants, and 4 of them were murdered by NOD extremist leader Gideon. You are the only one left. He also explains that the implants are based on Scrin technology, and they were designed to allow the recipient to activate the Scrin tower which would open a portal allowing Kane and his followers to "ascend". The TCN, in addition to wiping out Tiberium, is also key to reactivating the tower. Colonel James intercepts you and shoots you dead, but you are able to activate the portal just in time. Kane kills James, steps through the portal and disappears. The TCN is activated, and Tiberium begins to disappear.

At no point is Kane's origin explained, nor is the role of the Scrin, why Legion was uploaded in the Tower, or any of the outstanding plot issues whatsoever.

It's a massive waste of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

5 more minutes of this and I'm gonna get mad!

HVD posted:

Bullshit. I mean C&C4 plot.

That's loving terrible. Thanks for saving me money though I guess, even if I was just going to pick it up in a future sale.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Oh! I almost forgot the most stupid loving part of the plot:

You see how in the NOD ending Col. James addresses you as "Kane" when she pulls a gun on you? Well theres a reason for that. During the NOD campaign, once it becomes clear that the other 4 implants have been captured and murdered by Gideon, Kane decides that he must come up with a plan to keep you safe. His plan is to perform plastic surgery on you to make you look like him, and for you to go around pretending to be Kane in public.

So his brilliant plan to keep a relatively anonymous GDI commander safe from harm is to make him look and act like the man who half the world have been trying to kill for the last century, during a period when there have been attempts on his life from both GDI and NOD factions. Predictably this ends up with you being shot while giving a speech in front of a NOD rally. Brilliant!

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

I understand that the Scrin aren't playable in this one but what happened to their invasion force from the end of C&C3? Sounds like they don't make an appearence at all. :confused:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Doflamingo posted:

I understand that the Scrin aren't playable in this one but what happened to their invasion force from the end of C&C3? Sounds like they don't make an appearence at all. :confused:

I've only watched the cutscenes, but there's no mention of that no

Thinkmeats
Feb 10, 2004

Chicken pot SPY!

BigJoe posted:

If anyone is looking to have the Razor Blade Dildo of Dissapointment shoved even farther up the rear end, here's the cut-scene that ends the Tiberium series.

For the very small portion of people that are playing this game,
:siren:DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THROUGH C&C4! THIS IS THE END OF GAME FMV!:siren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCvarf8M-zo

edit: :siren:NOD VERSION:siren:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwMaglXmVrU

Hahaha holy poo poo, someone stuck a kane face on a mr potato head and made it read an eighth grade english project

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
My God the conclusion to the story seemed pretty bad, from what's been spoilered here. It's a shame since I remember loving the original C&C and RA so much, especially the FMV sequences and the music.

Then Westwood was sold to EA...

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

bubblegumbo0 posted:

My God the conclusion to the story seemed pretty bad, from what's been spoilered here. It's a shame since I remember loving the original C&C and RA so much, especially the FMV sequences and the music.

Then Westwood was sold to EA...

On the other hand, the single player of C&C3 was excellent

caffeinefree
Aug 5, 2003

2010: Year of M&M
jesus :smith:

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Even Hitler doesn't like it. (I didn't make this)

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Coming off the heels of C&C 3 and RA3, I see no reason as to why EA would kill off the series this way unless it had turned into a massive money pit at some point.

I still can't believe that this was supposed to give us closure.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Damnit I really liked C&C3. Didn't really attention to the story, but it was really fun! Also the concept of red / yellow/ blue zones were loving awesome and some of the levels looked amazing. I was at least hoping to have "more C&C 3", but instead it's this horrible poo poo people are talking about. I loved C&C :( :(.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
The guy in charge of the Tiberium Universe plot gave an interview to Rock Paper Shotgun about C&C4, and gave a pretty convincing explanation of why nothing was explained in the plot:

quote:

RPS: Why don’t we actually find out the secret origin of Kane in C&C4? Weren’t we promised that all would be revealed?

Bass: Well yeah, interesting story. There was a big debate about how much of the Kane backstory to reveal, and part of the issue there was that the backstory have never very consistent. We spent a lot of time investigating it, talking to Westwood and so on, but there was never any consistency. We put a lot of stuff on the table, but we don’t say “Oh he’s the brother of Abel”, or do any of those Biblical origins ideas, which I really wanted to do. Let’s just say that there was a desire /not/ to do that for this game. Additionally, the C&C community is very hardcore – it’s been around since the start of the internet! – so I have tried to work to meet their expectations of the game, and the lore. It was a thorny one.

Just kidding lol, they just couldnt be bothered

hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

I like the cut of your jib
I hate how developers always feel a need to change poo poo around just to be new and unique. They should know by now that C&C fans want what they are used to - basebuilding, resource gathering, basic RTS poo poo that has been around forever. We want a cool story and some FMVs. C&C3 delivered on this, why did they gently caress it up now? Bunch of morons.

I'm mad...C&C is my favorite RTS universe and I feel like it's being ruined by people who don't know what the hell they are doing.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Honestly I bought it thinking it would be not-so-great but decent enough to satisfy me with the plot/cinematics, but I wish I hadn't bought it the day it came out. Maybe it's worth checking out when it hits RA3 price, but even then RA3 is a much better game and this game does absolutely NOTHING for the series. It has a lovely plot for hardcore fans, and the shoddy gameplay isn't going to suddenly reinvigorate this dead franchise. At this point EA should rid themselves of the license and let someone else take a crack at it because they obviously can't find a market for these games anymore, and they don't even have a team to make new ones. I think there was talk of adapting CNC to Facebook or something in an interview with an EA marketing guy, but I highly doubt they're gonna bother with that anymore.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
Wow, just looking at those endings is enough to justify not buying the game.

I mean the entire tease was 'The stuff you've wanted to know for 15 years gets explained'.

And it's not there.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

HVD posted:

Oh! I almost forgot the most stupid loving part of the plot:

You see how in the NOD ending Col. James addresses you as "Kane" when she pulls a gun on you? Well theres a reason for that. During the NOD campaign, once it becomes clear that the other 4 implants have been captured and murdered by Gideon, Kane decides that he must come up with a plan to keep you safe. His plan is to perform plastic surgery on you to make you look like him, and for you to go around pretending to be Kane in public.

So his brilliant plan to keep a relatively anonymous GDI commander safe from harm is to make him look and act like the man who half the world have been trying to kill for the last century, during a period when there have been attempts on his life from both GDI and NOD factions. Predictably this ends up with you being shot while giving a speech in front of a NOD rally. Brilliant!

Well, that's a recipe for getting an ion cannon strike to the face if I ever read one.

This whole plot summary reads like fan fiction. Bad fan fiction. I'm just going to assume that the ending of Kane's Wrath leads to a technological singularity and the series end with everyone living in peace and harmony in some techno-utopia. There. That's how C&C ended.

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
It must feel really horrible to be one of the devs on this project. Like, there's no way they didn't know it was a turd while they were working on it, and I can imagine how that knowledge would suck all the enthusiasm out of you - not to mention knowing you'll be gone by the time it releases as well. I can just imagine them going "ah, screw it - let's release this pile of poo ASAP and get this sorry mess behind us." Then you get to go on the internet and see everyone completely panning the game. It's for that warm, fuzzy feeling that people become involved in game development in the first place, right?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
For those who've played it, how many times do they throw your crying wife at you? Those sections look like the most painfully stupid things ever.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

For those who've played it, how many times do they throw your crying wife at you? Those sections look like the most painfully stupid things ever.

Haha, yeah. I've got to admit, I watched those videos and every single time she showed up my response was basically "Oh, shut up and get out of the way! You're blocking my view of Kane!" :swoon:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I watched all the cutscenes on youtube, looked at the gameplay, and what the gently caress is going on here.

How did they go from the awesomeness that is CNC3 to this poo poo?

Seriously what the gently caress?

Only no name actors, one single set, a stupid plot that doesn't reveal anything, or make much sense, topped off with really annoying characters.
Then the game itself has online DRM, and that stupid unlockable units thing even for SP.
Who greenlighted that poo poo?
What happened to the guys that made CNC3? God drat it.

So what was the last good CNC3 patch again? 1.04? I need to cleanse my mind.

Although I CNC Generals might be also be a nice change.

Thinkmeats
Feb 10, 2004

Chicken pot SPY!
The only thing to do for this game is use word of mouth un-advertising to smother it with a pillow

Stow
Feb 14, 2004
Generals will never die. If the netcode wasn't awful to the point of random disconnects, it would still have a really good community just for the amount of strategies and silly poo poo you could do, while still retaining some semblance of balance.

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

Stow posted:

Generals will never die. If the netcode wasn't awful to the point of random disconnects, it would still have a really good community just for the amount of strategies and silly poo poo you could do, while still retaining some semblance of balance.

Generals is amazingly unbalanced. Mostly due to some generals being retardedly strong (USAF) whilst others get raped in certain matchups (China Infantry vs GLA Toxin). Plus the stupid gamebreaking bugs that were never fixed (SCUD Storm bug still being in the game for example). If EA actually bothered to patch it properly it would have a good community like you said though.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

Generals is amazingly unbalanced. Mostly due to some generals being retardedly strong (USAF) whilst others get raped in certain matchups (China Infantry vs GLA Toxin). Plus the stupid gamebreaking bugs that were never fixed (SCUD Storm bug still being in the game for example). If EA actually bothered to patch it properly it would have a good community like you said though.

Ok that's ZH, what about the base game?

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

Riso posted:

Ok that's ZH, what about the base game?

I never played it online so I can't comment :downs:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Double posts woop woop

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I think this thread is full of people who are vastly overstating how good C&C3 was cause if I remember right it was just as poo poo as 4.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
C&C 3 had some flaws but it was a fun game. You harvested stuff, built tanks, and blew up the other dude's base. I can't see how C&C 4 could possibly be any fun without the "blowing up other dude's base" part missing, and building tanks being replaced with grinding to unlock tanks. Reviewers seem to agree.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I liked most things about C&C3 and the expansion (apart from the cinematics with actors who couldn't act to save their lives), but the map designs were loving terrible. Practically all the campaign areas were laid out like tournament maps with everything being perfectly symmetrical.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Most game review sites are giving it 7s so I don't know what the gently caress. Going by what, say gamespot, claims as it's criteria for scores, and based on what the reviews actually said I think a 5 wouldve been more spot on. They must get pushed from their bosses to add a magic point to ea games.

I mean, read some of these reviews, then tell me it doesn't surprise you when he says "7" at the end. "This game is a disappointment to fans, it's buggy and the story is bad... SEVEN!!! :xd:"

Umph fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 19, 2010

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
You know, i'd have been completely content with Kane finding some kind of rudimentary element in tiberium that gave longevity to human life. Something that when properly harness could ensure that whoever used it lived forever.

That or revealing that he found a different actifact to the Tassatus that taught him how to do this. Either way, he found something in tiberium that was beneficial to life rather than harmful and his "wise prophetic" schtick just came from being around for a really loving long time and why he fought for the survival of said tiberium.

You know what, after reading all that story stuff about C&C4, gently caress it, i don't consider it existing and i'm just going to believe that my theory is the truth.

And in a few years when i earn enough money, i'm going to hire the guy that plays Kane and get him to make a short "unofficial" cutscene that retcons C&C4 and gives us a proper ending and then dump it on the internet for all to see.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Most reviewers don't drop below the 7-10 portion of their scale for a big-name game like C&C. The fact that the scores are hitting the low 70s is pretty telling.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wait... so Kane is basically Poochy?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Has anyone had any luck getting the C&C Classics downloads to work under 64-bit Windows 7?

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
C&C was my favorite series growing up and this sounds like an even bigger disappointment than Tiberian Sun was.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Electric Crayon posted:

C&C was my favorite series growing up and this sounds like an even bigger disappointment than Tiberian Sun was.

I feel like time has redeemed Tiberian Sun in a way. I thoroughly enjoyed its singleplayer campaign.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

chippy posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting the C&C Classics downloads to work under 64-bit Windows 7?

Kind of. I got Tiberian Sun to start just fine in compatibility mode. However, 5-10 minutes into a mission it would start getting unplayably choppy, particularly with tiberium on the screen.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Me and my buddy in high school used to play RA2 constantly, but ironically listening to rap music. We only played Soviets, only played Iraq, and was bout dat Demo Truck, son.

Another thing I had alot of fun with was building 2 Barracks and no Factory as Sovs and pumping out conscripts with their rally point on the enemy's base. They only cost like 100. I'm not saying this is a viable strategy or anything, I just had a ton of laughs doing this and overwhelming a few people who turtled (this game was all loving turtling, paratroop drops, and rocketeers. gently caress Yuri's force in the x-pack. Should not be in MP).

Is Yuri played by Udo Kier? When I used to play I could've swore it was the vampire elder who gets barbequed on the beach in Blade 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Digital Scumbag posted:

Is Yuri played by Udo Kier? When I used to play I could've swore it was the vampire elder who gets barbequed on the beach in Blade 1.

Yes, Yuri is Udo Kier. Loved him in those games. "Be ONE with Yuri!"

Well I just recieved my copy of C&C4 (I only heard about how terrible it was when it was already in the mail, so I might as well play it.) but I can't even get that game to work, it "encounters an error" and shuts down as soon as I get to the main menu. Should I just take this as my computer trying to save me from playing through this shitpile?

• Locked thread