Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Even the writer of the BoM ongoing is on record as hating Tim Hunter. The character sort of got away from him and became more whiny and self-absorbed over time.

The series itself whipsawed between quirky fun and angsty tosh, but I enjoyed it overall. Had its ups and downs for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Doom Patrol IS my favorite Morrison series still, after all these years. It may not have the stylistic flourishes of some of his later stuff, but on the other hand a lot of GM's latter work has been very narratively advanced, but lacks "soul" for lack of a better word. For instance, much of Seaguy left me pretty cold (except for the very end of the second series) even though I "got" was he was going for.

DP, on the other hand, never lost sight of its essential humanity -- beautifully summarized by the Chief's "fairy tale" monologue late in the series -- to balance out the weirdness and experimentalism, and it's all the richer for it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Just stop reading Fables period. Good lord is it ever terrible now. The narrative, if there ever was one, has gone completely off the rails as Willingham introduces and then abandons threads as it becomes clear they aren't going anywhere.

And as for Helix, I found Vermilion to be worth reading for the quality of the writing and its ambitious, expansive concept. It had some pacing issues (the writer was an established author but new to comics), but it rapidly found its feet. Unfortunately it was cancelled soon after.

It's a shame because it could have been truly great. As it stands, though, I think it's fairly high quality. Certainly memorable.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah. Too bad Boy Blue's death scene (and thus his entire character) was blemished by Willingham's appalling sexist bullshit. Which has always been the worst part of the comic to me, over all the Israel-fellating and other conservative talking points.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Goatmask posted:

Speaking of Vertigo and Grant Morrison, how is the post-Morrison run of Animal Man?

I was reading the Animal Man Wikipedia article and the Peter Milligan run sounds like it might be good?

Yeah, Milligan's run was a pretty worthy follow-up. It was a surreal and rather lighthearted story and you could see a clear stylistic connection to stories like Coyote Gospel, while maintaining his own voice (and not directly aping Morrison's style) and also without negating Morrison's conclusion.

Delano's run is just terrible, unfortunately. The vegetarian preaching goes overboard (Morrison did it too but he had a far better sense of how to leaven it), and he succumbs to the same malady many British writers do when they figure it's their mission to pull the curtain back on The Real America.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 12, 2014

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Ahahaha inviting Bill Willingham to moderate a panel on Writing Women in Comics is about as smart an idea as asking Frank Miller to speak on sensitive depictions of Islam. Dude is just not equipped; his female characters have always been clumsily written and very sexist, even when Fables was "good."

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

100 Bullets is padded as gently caress. Also, not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, nearly all of them spoke with pretty much the same voice (and I'm not just talking about the overuse of the embarrassing "street" accent).

To be fair that can also be a problem with Warren Ellis' stuff, and yet Transmet is a million times more readable and entertaining.

• Locked thread