Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JustV posted:

DC refused to support the series, which wouldn't piss me off so much if it they didn't keep trying to bring it back at the same time. Although I did like watching Tim get his rear end handed to him during Mike Carey's Staring at the Wall arc in Hellblazer

You'd think that with the huge popularity of Harry Potter DC/Vertigo would have pushed their teen magician into the limelight right?

Nope. HP is pretty much the reason BoM got shoved aside. John Ney Reiber gave an interview about it 6 or 7 years ago and he seemed pretty bitter about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I've gotten my hands on an extra copy of Neil Youngs Greendale graphic novel by Josh Dysart and Cliff Chiang. Anyone interested in checking out an advance copy?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sick_Boy posted:

That said, I'm surprised that no one mentioned Lucifer. It's not as good as Sandman, but then again, it doesn't try to be Sandman; and while I feel Sandman is the better comic, somehow Lucifer resonated better with me.

Yeah it's not like Melvin the Jerk mentioned it on the first page or anything.
Sorry I forgot, in BSS we don't read threads before we post in them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sick_Boy posted:

Sorry Rhyno, I did read the thread but somehow I managed to miss that :(

Boy I feel silly...

Actually I apologize, that was unwarranted snark that you didn't deserve. I was just in a pissy mood earlier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JnK07 posted:

What's the consensus on the Lucifer series? I ordered the first trade for 5 bucks so even if it's not good it was cheap.

I like it more than Sandman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

This is why I love you.

I stand by it. Lucifer is such a well written character through the entire series. Everything he does has a finely honed purpose and he wastes no energy on unimportant activities. Coupled with a fantastic cast and wonderfully written enemies and you have a brilliant story and I really wish Carey would do a Lucifer mini-series to revisit him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Ellis' banned issue of Hellblazer to finally be printed. source (well, and here)

The whole Vertigo Resurrected special sounds pretty cool and now I really want to know what else is included.

Maybe the unedited Rick Veitch Swamp Thing stuff? But seriously, how much decent unpublished stuff can they really have sitting around?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So that's why Death is making a DCU appearance? I guess Sandman will follow as well then. Other than Hellblazer what other characters are still in Vertigo? Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Scarab and Kid Eternity all went back to the DCU. Shade is in HB right now but he could still jump back over when they relaunch Suicide Squad again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

RevKrule posted:

That's a good question. They recently started re-releasing all of them in softcover format which indicates either they did well or they're trying to reignite interest at a lower price.

That's nothing new, Vertigo follows the same publishing plan as DC with their hardcovers. Hardcover edition first, softcover to follow some months later. They are also still releasing new books in the line as hardcovers first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

If someone is interested in getting the trades, do yourself a favour and skip Mina's run unless you absolutely want to own everything. It is horrible and drat near put me off of Hellblazer.

I bought Hellblazer monthly for 10 years and quit after Mina's second issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GOP posted:

I wanted to ask a question about Helix Comics, the imprint that couldn't.

Is anything worth reading other than Transmetropoliton?

I figured, since Transmet was picked up by Vertigo after the imprint was cancelled, and since it was so similar, being a science fiction Vertigo, its relative enough.

Anyone read anything from Helix other than Transmet? Like Cyberella or Bloody Mary? Your opinion on it?

Really not much of it was very memorable. I think Helix was poorly received because for the first few months they were advertising the imprint it was to be known as Matrix and they had to make a last minute change which didn't help things. The imprint was pretty pointless from the get go the entire output was less than 50 comics if memory serves.
Gemini Blood wasn't bad though, really pretty art by Tommy Lee Edwards.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dvorak posted:

So how does everyone feel about John Constantine's visit into the DCU? Basically as long as we still get Hellblazer, I'm totally cool with it.

I liked Part 1 of that Search for Swamp thing miniseries at least.

It was terrible. The loving movie was better than the Search for Salad Man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also voting Lucifer. It stands neck and neck with Sandman, it's that good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Calling Peter Gross a bad artist? You are a horrible person and I hope terrible things happen to you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fables should have ended years ago but Willingham is Vertigo's Brian Bendis for some reason. They love him and he gets to do whatever he wants.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John and Swamp Thing were at Hal Jordan's funeral in Green Lantern #81. That was back when they were pushing hard for the return of all Vertigo characters back to the DCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Bill Willingham issued an idiotic statement about the comparisons between Fables and Once Upon A Time.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35737

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sorry, it's the way he issued the statement, the self interview annoys the poo poo out of me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is going to be an absolute waste of time and effort.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35878

quote:

Whether it's the bestselling novel series or the upcoming film starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, Stieg Larsson's "Millennium" trilogy has taken the world by storm. Comprised of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," Larsson's novels follow the exploits of investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist and hacker prodigy Lisbeth Salander as they become caught in a web of mystery and murder. DC Entertainment announced in October that it would be adapting Larsson's books into a series of graphic novels. Now, Scotsman.com is reporting that DC has tapped crime novelist and Vertigo writer Denise Mina to turn the bestselling trilogy into a series of six graphic novels, with the first due in March.

"The intricate characters and stories Larsson created in the Millennium Trilogy are a perfect match for the graphic novel format, where we can bring Lisbeth Salander to life in entirely new, visually compelling ways," DC's co-publisher Dan DiDio said in the original announcement. "It’s a distinct honor to work on a story that is already so popular with millions of readers around the world."

The "Millennium" graphic novels will take two to three years to release in full, with two hitting stores each year until 2014. Mina's work includes nine prose novels as well as a 13 issue run of "Hellblazer," and the Vertigo Crime graphic novel "A Sickness in the Family."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dickeye posted:

On one hand, I love the Millennium books

On the other, wasn't Mina's Hellblazer the one about empathy or whatever, because I remember going into that on cloud loving nine after Carey's "Don't you loving believe it" and coming out hating Hellblazer.

Mina wrote the single worst run in the history of the title. She was the writer that drove me from the book after 10+ years of reading.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

Is there anything in the rumormill about Lucifer hardcovers? I want to buy the series but not if hardcover versions are gonna be coming out soon

Bob Wayne said they aren't coming any time soon. Just get the trades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure it is impossible to patch things up with Alan Moore.

Not with that beard always getting in the way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The one vertigo title I hear people complain about a lot is Fables. Even then, it starts out nice enough, but Willingham didn't have the common sense to retire the series when the primary antagonist was defeated. It's been puttering around doing nothing for the last few years.

Vertigo doesn't have a clear "flagship" title without Fables and it's spinoffs. Even if Willingham wanted to end it (he doesn't he knows he won't land another profile gig anywhere) Vertigo will convince him to stay on. All the other big series had an end in sight and the writers knew when to bow out. Willingham is like that party guest who just won't leave even thought everyone else is gone and you're ready to go to sleep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

What do you call Hellblazer

A book that gets no press and is literally only still going because it's been around so long. Time Warner wanted to cancel it and restart it as Constantine back when the film was released. Karen Berger fought it tooth and nail because she knew that if they relaunched it with a new #1 there would be no saving it when sales dropped.

Hellblazer is anything but a flagship book, especially since John Constantine is now back in the main DCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Roboto posted:

Sadly...no. It's painfully obvious that Willingham had zero plans after the end of the Empire and is just reaching for plot points now. Jack was even worse--there WAS no ending planned, it just happened.

It's very obvious that Willingham is creatively bankrupt at this point. I wish he'd farm out the Fables books to more creators like the old Sandman Presents line, there's tons of potential in the property but not in Willingham himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

OK, I get you. You did forget 100 Bullets, though - but not Swamp Thing, as I think it hit 75 before Vertigo launched.

Right, pedantry over, we now return you to your scheduled thread. :)

Preacher had 66 regular issues and 9 extras so there's another 75 for the list. Back around issue 40 of 100B when it wasn't selling so hot Azzarello talked about wrapping it up at issue #60 if sales kept falling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

Trust nothing. They loving solicited Lucifer hardcovers a few years back and there's been hide nor hair of those. Even if they'd said Scalped was getting the HC treatment, I wouldn't believe it til I saw it.

They were never solicited, only rumored.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bairfanx posted:

Really? I thought they'd actually been officially announced and everything?

Nope. Bob Wayne confirmed they never seriously planned on reprinting the series in HC at last years retailer summit. It was just something that was mentioned offhand a few years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

Did Fables ever get good again or is it still aimlessly wandering?

This would imply that the book was once good.

HaHa! I kid with you! Yeah it sucks poo poo through a straw.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's a loving crime that the Jenkins run isn't collected in trades. I wish he'd gotten to do his real second run he'd wanted. He had a plan to extend John's life in a totally legit way that he and Berger were certain would not enrage fans. I'm betting it had something to do with his purged soul bits that he consigned to hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Dominic West. Boom. Ever since I watched the Wire, he's been the only dude I can picture playing John now and forever.

Guy Pierce was the correct answer 10 years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't Sandman supposed to be returning? I dunno how long that would last given Gaiman's schedule and own endeavors, but that's something.

It's like a 6 issue mini or something, not a new ongoing.

Vertigo will continue to exist but without Berger the line will never be what it was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Preacher can not be done without the word gently caress. It just can't be done. gently caress is used so much in the work it may as well be a member of the cast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

Probably not, but there were licensed gently caress Communism lighters doing the rounds at the time.

There was never an officially licensed Preacher Zippo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nosophoros posted:

Where's my hardcover Scalped, Vertigo!?

Hahahahahaha.

Yeah it's probably not gonna happen. Maybe if Aaron came back to DC we'd see something nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm two volumes into my biennial reading of 100 Bullets and drat, if ever there was a series suited for a tv adaptation it's this one. I just wrapped up the Counterfifth Detective and Milo Garret is the kind of lead character I could easily see fronting an HBO series. I am shocked that 15 years after the debut there hasn't been some action towards a tv or film.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

It's a great series and that's one of my favorite arcs in comics. Unfortunately I think 100 Bullets ended up spending too much time on the "main" arc and moved away from the 100 untraceable bullets storylines.

Well according to Azz that was always the goal, the main story was the conspiracy and the revenge of the betrayed Minutemen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

Oh I know, it just would have been nice to have a few interspersed through the final half of the run.

He's teased a few times that he'd like to do another mini set during the main run with just a few revenge tales but Risso isn't ready to do it yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mystery Steve posted:

I finished reading hellblazer. I can't be the only one who thought the ending was a complete letdown. Seriously what went wrong?

Dan Didio wanted John back in the DCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mystery Steve posted:

Was it worth it?

bobkatt013 posted:

No. The run that just ended was good, but it could have been in the Vertigo universe.

Yeah no. The N52 Constantine books are good but it wasn't worth ditching 300 issues of the "real" John.

• Locked thread