Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
One Vertigo series that seems to get a bit of critical praise but very little fan discussion is Air. My wife started picking this up because the main character is a flight attendant, and so is she, so of course I read it. It's pretty good.

The story centers around Blythe, an acrophobic flight attendant who is drawn into a plot against a terrorist organization called the for the "Etesian Front". It's the sort of story that kind of hard to nail down in a few sentences. It features a man name Zayn, someone who is sort of a chameleon when it comes to his nationality, a nation named Narimar, a place that ostensibly disappeared from maps during the 1947 Partition of India, and Amelia Earhart. It has the same felling of the TV show Lost did during the first two seasons, before that show left the rails. It's a good fantasy series that works equally well for people who are not even into comics (like my wife).

Whereas most of the notable Vertigo titles are very, how you say, testosterone driven or dark and violent (this is not me being critical, I love most of those series), Air is the complete opposite of that. It feels very female driven and aimed. Violence is rare, and it is not dark in the least. Honestly, the whole thing is refreshing to me.

It is written by G. Willow Wilson, and has art by M. K. Perker.

About American Vampire, I think it shows promise. It has that feeling that everything is being planned in detail well in advance, and that it could come together in some truly great moments, assuming the crew can hold the book together.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Roydrowsy posted:

I was a little worried about how this month's The Unwritten would turn out, as the cover looked like it might try to dip into Fable's territory, but I worried for no reason. Amazing issue!

Read all of the foul-mouthed bunny's dialogue with the voice of Steve Buscemi's in your head. Do it. It's awesome.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Skinner Sweet is like the undead Agent Graves.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Air was always intended to be finite and have a definitive ending (like most Vertigo titles), but I read somewhere that Wilson originally intended fr there to be around 40 or so issues. Maybe it's for the best that it ends at 24. I like the series, but it tends to get a little slow at times. the story seems to have picked up recently, and that's probably because Wilson knew the book was coming to an end.

The new issue of American Vampire was good, but something felt a little off about the Stephen King half. Skinner Sweet massacring the whole town seemed almost out of character. I know that we're only on the third issue so characters are still developing, but I assumed Sweet was going to be more of a Monster-With-Some-sort-of-Morals thing. Thinking about it, what happened makes him a little more interesting; it made him a lot less sympathetic; but it just seemed to come out of left field.

Than again, this is a book about murderous monsters, so maybe I was just being naive.

• Locked thread