Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Roydrowsy posted:

#2) What did everybody think about American Vampire? For the most part, i think it's a bit too early to tell how this series will be long term, but it got to a pretty interesting start. I'm actually kind of pleased to say that King's half of the book wasn't all that great, so hopefully people will stick with it once King is done
I think American Vampire shows a lot of promise. Snyder needs to drop the habit of caption boxes for stuff like "That night...". It's just goofy and unnecessary.

As far as other titles, Daytripper is fantastic. Gorgeous, engaging, touching... it's great stuff.

Joe the Barbarian is fantastic. Part of me is sad that it's only eight issues, but due to the nature of the story, there's no getting around that.

I've heard great things about Sweet Tooth. I ordered all the back issues and I'm looking forward to catching up. I also plan on catching up on Greek Street, and Northlanders sounds great as well.

Oh, and I definitely want to catch up on The Unwritten. I've heard nothing but praise for that one.

Also, Hellblazer should be added to the list. I've primarily read that though trades, but I'm going to jump back into it with the single issues now as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Holy fuckballs! Check out the Bernie Wrightson variant cover for American Vampire #2.

Click here for the full 489x681 image.

Goddamn do I want that. poo poo, I want it as a poster for my wall.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

There's a preview in Sweet Tooth #8 today for I, Zombie (I'm sure it'll be in other Vertigo books as well). Looks like it could be a fun title.

Speaking of Sweet Tooth, you really should be reading Sweet Tooth. gently caress me! :aaa:

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I finally got caught up on The Unwritten last night. Jesus Jumped-Up loving Christ is that a fantastic book. I think it's jumped straight to the top of my list as the best series being written today. I'm absolutely blown away at just how good it is.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

Read all of the foul-mouthed bunny's dialogue with the voice of Steve Buscemi's in your head. Do it. It's awesome.
Goddamn, I wish I'd thought of this.

Even so, this issue was loving awesome.

On other things:
Daytripper was really good this month as well. But then again, Daytripper is always good.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 16, 2010

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I honestly didn't find "How the Whale Came to Be" to be particularly jarring. Once they introduced that shadowy group and their motivations for using stories, I started getting a sense of how it connected to the main plot. Plus, there was an emotional undercurrent to the story that made me really connect with it.

I really wish I could jump forward in time, though. As much as I loved #12, after the way #11 ended, a break in the main plot was the last thing I wanted.

Oh well. Three more weeks... three more weeks... three more weeks... :sweatdrop:

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

American Vampire #2 was pretty good. Again, I liked Snyder's stuff better than Kings (in fact, I think this book will start to really come into its own after King leaves). Skinner Sweet is far more interesting in the 20s story than he is in the backstory. But both stories had some holy-gently caress-what-the-hell-that-is-badass moments.

All in all, this issue made me feel more confident about Snyder's writing. Like I said, when the backstory is over and King departs, I'm guessing the book will become more cohesive and Snyder will start to really shine.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Jolo posted:

I'm a big fan of King, and I completely agree. Snyder is crafting an incredibly interesting story that outshines even King's. Loved the line where she says she can feel teeth coming in behind her teeth. The art works perfectly with the story also. One page made me gasp and say, "Holy poo poo." Really enjoyable series.
Yeah, I love King too. I've loved him since I was like 12 and one of my friends handed me the copy of Misery that he'd just finished and said, "You have to read this." I blazed through it faster than any book I'd read previously, and after that, there was no turning back.

It's really not so much that King's writing isn't good-- his writing is fine. But Sweet's back story isn't interesting enough to drag out over five issues. Also, I think the book would have better served if, rather than dividing the book into two separate stories, Sweets backstory had been inserted as flashbacks within the main narrative somehow.

That's the only reason I think the book will get better with King's departure after #5. Snyder clearly has an intriguing direction to go with this, and once the story no longer has to jump back and forth between two separate stories per issue, I think the book will really find its feet and take off.

And agreed on Joe the Barbarian #4. I'm going to be so sad when this story ends. Jack is so awesome. I love that even in the "real" world, he's a constant companion; and even as just a rat, he's drawn in such a way that you get the feeling he's genuinely concerned. And of course, in the other world, he's very caring and protective of Joe. Really a phenomenal book.

And just a few weeks until we get to see how the main narrative of The Unwritten continues after that major mindfuck at the end of #11.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

So what do you guys think of the first issue of iZombie?

I liked it, but I have to admit that even with the previews, I was caught completely off-guard with what kind of book this was going to be. I had the impression that this girl would end up eating brains of people that were murdered and then solve the crimes or something like that. But clearly things are far more complex: there are ghosts and vampires (and possibly werewolves?) thrown into the mix.

So yeah. Wow.

Also, I don't know how many of you are reading Hellblazer, but am I the only one that is hoping we get to catch at least a glimpse of Julian in prison? The prospect is far too tantalizing. Milligan would be one sadistic fucker to avoid at least touching on it. In fact, gently caress it! I want an entire spin-off of Julian wreaking havoc in prison.

*note: not sure if spoiler tags about iZombie were really necessary, but I used them just in case.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

God, I love The Unwritten so much. There are a lot of great books being written right now, but this is the one that, every month, as soon as I get home, I go to as soon as I'm in the door and able to sit down. Poor Lizzie. That look on her face when she was looking at that poster... :(

Daytripper was great, too. I think I'm beginning to understand what's going on. This may be incredibly obvious to everyone else and I'm only just now realizing it, but I think the "Bras dies at the end of every issue" thing isn't so much literal as it is supposed to emphasize the importance of the moment. Going into this, we know that the book's aim is to explore the important moments of a person's life. And maybe that's literally what it is-- the important moments. Maybe Bras' multiple deaths don't have any other significance other than every significant moment in his life ends with his "death". After reading his conversation with Jorge, I started to think that maybe we're not supposed to think of Bras dying over and over; maybe we're just supposed to understand the message: any moment can be important. Live every moment as if it were your last, because you never know when that may come. The book is about not being afraid to take chances. It's about seizing the moment so that you don't die with regrets of missed opportunities. It's about enjoying every moment for how precious it is. Bras' deaths mean nothing more than that they highlight the significant moments-- much as he as an obituary writer tries to pick out from the many important moments from the lives he's forced to document.

Again, I realize that's probably incredibly obvious to everyone else. But it took me this long to figure out that I was trying to figure out one little detail and not getting the big picture. And I don't know that I actually had to put any of that in spoilers; but I just wanted to be safe in case there are people that are waiting for the trade to pick this up and didn't want to know any details.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 13, 2010

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I finally got to read Joe the Barbarian #5, and Grant Morrison can loving eat poo poo and die. gently caress you, Grant, you loving poo poo-sucking motherfucker.

I swear, Jack better still be alive or Morrison can loving go gently caress himself.

gently caress this book. gently caress everything. :(

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

I really hope so. But I have this sinking feeling that he's pretty badly wounded and is going to die.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

ChuckDHead posted:

I just picked up Ian Rankin's Hellblazer book, and I've been thinking of reading a bit more. Since I don't need to buy all of another comic series, what would people here consider the best or most essential arcs?
Of Hellblazer? Garth Ennis' run is series-defining as far as I'm concerned. Start with Dangerous Habits and go from there. You might want to check out Rare Cuts as well. It's a collection of random stories of varying quality, but right now it's the only book containing the issues covering the "Newcastle incident", which is somewhat important to Constantine's history and is referred back to every now and then throughout the series. But yeah, Ennis' entire Hellblazer run is must-read and still remains a high bar that-- at least in my opinion-- no writer since has been able to match.

Mike Carey's stuff is good. Peter Milligan is writing the book now, and while it isn't earth-shattering, it's still pretty solid.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Was Taters posted:

I feel so vindicated. Unwritten is fabulous. Although I have to admit the horror-movie issue almost shook me off the ride.
I really liked that issue. Although, it was pretty jarring. I remember reading it and thinking, "Jesus, this really took a sudden left turn."

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Daytripper was brutal this month. What the hell, man? :(

I was a bit confused with The Unwritten, though. So Lizzie Hexam is actually Jane Waxman. Except now, "Jane Waxman" is "onto them" and Lizzie Hexam is literally Lizzie Hexam? I'm sure answers are forthcoming, but I didn't know what to make of that ending. The thing with the "second channel" was really awesome, though.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

bairfanx posted:

Presumably it's all about the power of names and characters. If she was originally Jane Waxman, what did they say happened to Jane? For optional metanarrative, how many readers does the Unwritten have and how long have we known her real name was Jane Waxman (I seem to remember it from a few issues back).

One thing's for sure, I'm never disappointed by this drat book, and am always left looking forward to the next
The Jane Waxman reveal was only last issue, I believe, when she first spotted the missing person flyer.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Phoon posted:

Also nobody here reads Northlanders? I am saddened.
I want to, I just haven't caught up on it yet. That might be a book I just pick up in trades. Same with Scalped, which is another "I really need to get to this" Vertigo book high on my list.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Holy poo poo! Check this out:

quote:

Mike Carey and Peter Gross want you to choose an adventure

Wednesday, June 16th, 2010

By Pamela Mullin

I haven’t even read it yet and THE UNWRITTEN #17 is already gearing up to be one of my favorite issues yet. I have such fond memories of reading CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE, WHICH WAY and similar books as a child; where you picked multiple paths until you reached the conclusion. Well, once again the experience is at my fingers, but this time, through a comic book. THE UNWRITTEN is about story, and to expand on that, THE LIVES OF LIZZIE HEXAM: A Choose-a-Story adventure gives the reader different stories to read depending on which path (or paths, if you want to read them all) he/she takes.

THE UNWRITTEN #17 is an ambitious 32 page stand alone story which one reads sideways like Dash Shaw’s BodyWorld. Oh, and did I mention that the finishes are by Ryan Kelly (it’s the first time they’ve reunited since Lucifer)? So, enter the mind of Lizzie Hexam, Tom Taylor’s sidekick and explore the contradictory, impossible events that made her what she is. Victim or champion? Madwoman or saint?
http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/2010/06/16/mike-carey-and-peter-gross-want-you-to-choose-an-adventure/

gently caress I love this book.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Just finished Sweet Tooth #11. For those on the fence about the book after reading the first trade, I would encourage you to give the second a shot when it comes out. That's a really high demand, I know; but I think the first and second story arc really have to be read as one. The end of #11 brings things full circle in a really satisfying way; and with it, the second arc as a whole really allows you to understand and almost sympathize with why the first arc ends like it does. Also, there really is a sense that the world of this book is about to open up in a really big way.

I think #11 is the best issues of the series so far. It's very tight and powerful.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

^burtle posted:

Daytripper is the best comic on the market right now. Each month just gets more and more spectacular, but I'm really anxious about the people who are going to get the trade, slam it in an hour and miss the point.
That could happen with anything, though. Daytripper is unique in every possible way. It's a book that challenges you to really think and reflect and respond emotionally.

Sure there will be people who don't get it; and sure, being able to read the entire thing at once will be a different experience from waiting from month to month. But there will still be those who read it and reread it and and want to think and talk about it. I think the people that would slam it in an hour and miss the point, probably would have bailed on the book after the second issue anyway if they'd be reading the singles. I wouldn't worry about those people.

But yeah, Daytripper is really incredible.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Star City? So I guess that means he'll be showing up in J.T. Krul's Green Arrow book?

If they're going to to bring Swamp Thing back into the DCU, I wish they'd get a better writer to handle him than J.T. Krul.

I still don't get this decision anyway. Did someone over at DC go, "poo poo, Marvel's been having Man Thing show up a lot lately. He showed up in the Legion of Monsters recently, and now he's on the Thunderbolts! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, WE MUST COUNTER THIS MOVE SOMEHOW! What's Swamp Thing doing?"

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Anybody else have a weird printing issue with Daytripper #9? Like, the third to last page, when Bras is on the beach with the windsock fish and finds the typewriter. Like 80% of the page looks like it's obscured with streaks of ink-- like what a newspaper looks like if you get it wet and then dry it out. The very last panel on the page is nearly impossible to read.

Is it just me? I think I'll contact my LCBS about it as well.

That said, good issue, though.

Also, The Unwritten continues to be awesome.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

bairfanx posted:

I've decided to undertake writing annotations for The Unwritten, as the thing is loaded with references. I finished the first issue, and if anyone's interested, have it on a blogspot (along with an article about Animal Man/Morrison/"mature" comics).

In rereading, they sound a little more opinionated than I'd like, but the meat of the first issue is there at least
Nice! I've bookmarked it and I'm definitely going to be checking it out. Thanks!

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

tokar posted:

just finished PREACHER and looking to start another series. im loving Ennis and was thinking about THE BOYS, but there are other Vertigo titles that are "must reads" i.e. SANDMAN and Y THE LAST MAN.

After spending a few too many dollars on the PREACHER trades, I'm not sure I want to get myself addicted to SANDMAN. But hey, ive always been susceptible to peer pressure...
Yeah, Sandman and Y are both must reads. On the Ennis front, I say give his run on Hellblazer a try (also a Vertigo book). Other Vertigo books you might check out are Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan, and Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

So today we get the first issue of American Vampire that's all Snyder without King. I'm really looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Also, last issue of Daytripper today. I'm looking forward to reading it, but I'm also depressed that this means no more new Daytripper.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

And even if you still don't care for it after the second TPB, it'll still be worth the purchase for the one-shot with the cursing rabbit alone.

(that got included in the second TPB, didn't it? It better have).

Unwritten is a loving great series. And yes, the first arc does set the stage. Things have begun to open up in a big way.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

JackDarko posted:

Daytripper stands right now as one of my favorite comic book stories if not my favorite. A truly wonderful story, and ending that I feel will only grow even more meaningful as I continue living.

Needless to say I can't wait to own the trade.
Yeah, I was really choked up throughout the entire final issue. The entire series was so achingly beautiful. I'm definitely going to being getting the HC as well-- everyone should. It's one of the most beautiful and unique comics you'll ever read.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

The choose your own adventure issue of Unwritten is really awesome. One of the most unique things I've seen tried in comics, and it's executed really well.

Also, Joe the Barbarian only has one more issue left. I'm eager to see how it ends, but, like Daytripper, I'm really going to miss this book when it ends.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

bairfanx posted:

I'm worried how well that will come across in the trade. I always feel awkward reading trades sideways (like that issue in Morrison's X-men run)
I've actually been thinking a lot about that as well. I agree, I think it'll probably not transfer over all that well. Which is a shame, because it's really a brilliant issue. But yeah, I think a lot of that will get lost in the trade because it'll just be shrunk-down, unwieldy and inconvenient.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Len posted:

I've been waiting for/buying The Unwritten in trade but this new issue sounds like it's worth not waiting for. Would I understand what's going on if I just get it or do I need to read the issues between the second trade and it?
Yeah, you'd probably need to also pick up the back issues between when the second trade ends and #17. There's a few big developments that happen, so you might be a little lost having not read them.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Goddamn, how good is Sweet Tooth, huh?

And American Vampire continues to get better and better. #7 is no exception, and it answers the question I've had since last month-- (i.e., Where's Pearl?)

iZombie was really great this month as well. It's clearly meant to serve as a jumping on point for new readers; but at the same time it was really entertaining. Plus, it introduced a new character that's a talking chimp possessed by the oversoul of Scott's grandfather.

Three for three so far on Vertigo books this month; and I've still got Unwritten, Hellblazer, Northlanders and the conclusion of Joe the Barbarian to look forward to.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Sigma posted:

I love American Vampire in singles, and am really tempted to double dip and get the hardcover.
I've been collecting it in singles as well, but I'm sure at some point I'll also pick up the HC. I don't mind double-dipping for series that I really like. It's nice to both have the original singles, as well as have a nice HC you can put up on your shelf.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

JackDarko posted:

This week's issue was off the chain some amazing revelations, and a great new arc direction. One of my favorite things about Carey is pacing, guy doesn't miss a beat.
Yeah, there were some major "Holy poo poo!" :aaa: moments. The Unwritten is always the first book I read of its release week as soon as I get home.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Was Taters posted:

The Unwritten is always the last book I read for that week, because I want to close feeling amazed at comics.
That's a really good way of thinking. I wish I had the level of self-control to do that.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Asterios posted:

I just picked up Unwritten #18 knowing nothing about the series, read it, and was absolutely blown away. I have no idea why that one guy wants to kill the other guy, or why they're all obsessed with Harry Potter, but the writing was so good that it really doesn't matter - it was just incredibly enjoyable.
I would really, really recommend catching up on the back issues before you continue. There's been a ton of build-up and plot development to this point; and you'll probably want to get caught up. First, the series is phenomenal-- you think #18 blew you away now? When taken within the context of the series up to this point, it's even better. Second, there's several themes and plot threads that you probably started to notice in #18 and that will continue to be important moving forward. You can probably grab the first two trades and then get whatever back issues remain to fill in the gap. And then continue on the monthlies with the rest of us addicts.

Trust me, it's so worth it.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

hermanos posted:

Skip Diggle's too, honestly.

But hey, if you start with Milligan's, you'll be hip deep in some pretty good and current Hellblazer tales. I'm really digging his run.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying Milligan's run as well. He needs to bring back Julian at some point though. Julian is awesome.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Sweet Tooth was (yet again) really good this month. I really like the way in which this world is starting to open up and give you a sense of the bigger picture while still maintaining the intimacy of the character relationships. There were a few creepy to downright hosed-up moments.

Really interested to see where all of this goes. The whole prophesy/bible thing makes it seem that, in the short term at least, things are going to get really bad. That whole sequence, as well as the shared dream, gave me chills.

Not sure that I need to use spoilers but I am just to be on the safe side since there's not a ton of weekly talk in this thread on current titles and I don't want to accidentally spoil stuff for anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

SkellingTon Loc posted:

So if it's okay to have two versions of John, what's the deal with the announcement that they were pulling all those characters out of Vertigo last year?
They were just bringing a bunch of Vertigo characters back into the DCU is all. But those characters can still exist in their Vertigo incarnations. The two universes are still completely separate from one another. It's the same as have a Marvel 616 Frank Castle and a MAX universe Frank Castle.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Milligan does with Justice League Dark. I like the concept of the book, and his run on Hellblazer has been very solid, I think.

• Locked thread