Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I've put my balls on a reactor and dipped my hand in radioactive liquid. No x-men children yet but glow in the dark jerk off sessions are hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I had quite a few people in my class fail prototype. I had quite a few people in my class fail. Something like 10% over all or each school. I can't recall.

We got asked why once.

And screw your technobabble. Not fun to say I put my balls on a tank of water guarding the reactor.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

On boomers nukes have to do every single drill. There is no drill nukes do not respond to. Also of the four drills you will do every week, three will be in engineering spaces.

That and you better not hope there is a fire in the engineering spaces as a drill or you will see a lot of confused coners getting lost when there are only 3 levels. And you get to hear chiefs say, "This is the third time I've ever been in this space."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am trying to remember, but we had hydraulics in the engineering spaces so the mechanics had to deal with that. It may take me awhile to remember the whole drill though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I actually enjoyed tracking fake targets on a laptop. We routinely let sonar know they were tracking things 20 miles inland.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

One of the guys in my class was real good. He even underlined words on his own test that were the exact things that were underlined on the answer sheet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

:siren: The reactor is super critical :siren:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

On the SSBN I was on, A-Div took logs on it, but I don't remember who owned the drat things.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Due to recent economic hardships, there is an influx of people in the military. A lot more nukes, easy quotas to fill.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thinking of getting out and doing the same job? I just took the POSS test at Comanche Peak. I was the youngest guy there, plenty of chiefs or very old salty guys, and very few non nukes. One guy was an engineer at the plant who wanted to change over for more money.

The POSS is a glorified asvab with traps in it. Nuke traps. You like math? Well we gave you lots of problems, not enough time to do them, and hard ones to waste your time. Apparently if you try doing them you may fail from not doing enough problems.

The first job you go for is NEO, or nuclear equipment operator. Mix an EM with an MM and you got it. After that you can work your way up.

There were 40 people applying for the job and only 12 are going to be picked up. I was the youngest guy there at 27.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Standard as far as I can tell. I talked to a few of them who have done this before or worked during outages at other plants. I have some napkin with one of those companies that only do outages written down some where. High pay, no benefits, no solid work.

The plant has 3 schedules. Shift work ala prototype, 4-10s, or 5-8s. Most people don't like 5-8s. Some people live up to a mile away as well. Oh shift work is 12 hours.

Work hard play hard? Sure.

EDIT: Also, this plant hires once a year.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 4, 2010

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

They have a stepped starting pay based on previous experience. I'm trying to recall, I think it is about 75K though. Hopefully I can tell you for certain next week. They go down a check list and the more things you have on the list, the more pay you can start at.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

KetTarma posted:

How would an ex navy electrician with 9 years in and a bachelors in nuke-e do? I have this terrible fear of not getting the civilian job that I want and not being ready to jump back into the nuclear operations field.

Go here and use paper and pen as the user name / password combo and take the practice test. This is almost the exact thing you will take.

To get the job only requires a good score on this test and an interview where they just ask you how you do under pressure, what good operators have, and what not. That is it. More seniority in the navy will not help you pass this test, nor do degrees. But they will help with starting pay. They select people via that then do back ground checks and you will retake some classes that you are used to.

This is the timeline my email gave me.

Information about the POSS test, interviews and travel arrangements:
*You will need to bring your drivers license or some other form with a picture ID.
*If you have previously completed the POSS test successfully, complete the ”Authorization to Release EEI Test Scores” form and fax it to me at REDACTED. If your results can’t be verified, you will need to take the POSS test at Comanche Peak. This request takes time to process so please return the form as early as possible.
*Information on the Edison Electrical Institute POSS test is available via the internet at http://www.energyfutureholdings.com/careers/eei.aspx
*The POSS test and interviews will be administrated at CPNPP Glen Rose TX in the Nuclear Operation Support Facility (NOSF) Classroom & Lab Annex.
*Luminant will provide lodging accommodations in the local area if needed the night before the test / interview. Applicants are responsible for any meals and transportation to and from the testing / interviewing site.
*Shift Operations representatives will be on hand before and after the testing (snacks / drinks will be provided).
CPNPP conducts panel style interviews for NEO applicants. FYI - Most of the interviewers will be wearing “docker” style pants and button up or polo style shirts.
*Crew NEO’s will be leading plant tours during the course of the day; these tours are encouraged but not required. If you wish to participate PLEASE wear all natural fiber clothing, and bring current drivers license.

12/13 May 2010 Start job offers – currently 12 positions
*Job offers are contingent on successful completion of the following;
Drug Screening
Initial background / security screening
Fire Brigade Physical – see below

27 May 2010 thru 4 June 2010 Fire Brigade Physical for NEO candidates
*The NEO position requires participation in the site Fire Brigade. To insure physical fitness for this requirement all candidates are required to successfully complete the Fire Brigade physical.
*Travel expenses will be provided for candidates, (airfare, car rental meals, parking, mileage if traveling POV, etc). Airfare and lodging is usually direct pay by Luminant EFH, car rental, meals, parking and mileage is reimbursed.
*Usually candidates fly / drive in the night before, stay at a local hotel, and complete the physical early the next day.
*The physical requires fasting after midnight for lab test.

28 June 2010 NEO report to CPNPP to start work and commence initial training
*2 weeks - Check In and Admin
*3 weeks - Systems Fund / Safety
*1 week - Math / Physics Fund
*2 weeks - Chem / Thermo / Rx Theory Fund
*1 week - Rad Protection / Elec Fund
*1 week - Component Fund
*6 weeks - Plant Systems

So 16 weeks of training then you go qualify on the plant and do basic maintenance.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 5, 2010

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

What the hell is SOBC? What broken thing is that?

Also I passed the POSS test. I find out how I stack up against the other people who passed later. No numbers on how many that failed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Enlisted nukes never do sub school and I have never heard of SOBC. Maybe I never chilled with officers.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

When on the boat, do not bitch at the first class photo shopping his self into photos who is too busy for giving checkouts. Do not point out that he is photo shopping his self into photos. Do not inquire if this is the reason he is too busy. Do not call him a loving retard. This is what I learned by going down to the boat.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Pretty sure me and some other nukes researched how long a crab would last underway. Answer, not long.

Also a lot of social experiments happen down there, like how sad you can make people and not have them kill their selves. Answer, very.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

There are gonna be two types of people going through that school. The kind that had no or few hours and the kind that had tons. The people who have tons will bust their rear end to make the grade. The people who don't have many or any hours tend to look down upon the rest.

Lets just say the rest are dumber.

For shore duty, which training facility is normally set by how well you did in the pipeline. Smart kids go to the easy life and dumb kids go to the hard life. I've seen a few instructors and known a few who hate dumb people and actually make their life worse there. Can you call someone out on that? Not easily.

End result, everyone who went into that program at one point thought they were smart. Ever seen some kids freak out when they get a B in college or high school? That happens there to, but they don't get B's, they get F's.

I was strung out for a bit too in prototype. I was falling behind, lack of motivation and it just sucked. I was still chugging along, then my grand mother died who lived in Florida. I was told I could take leave but I'd go dink, then later told not to go on leave. It really messed me up.

You should always tell people if you are not feeling good on the inside, but there is always some pressure not to tell anyone. Either from your self or form other people. That causes issues.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

belt posted:

Is that comanche peak?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am pretty sure that is comanche peak. If it is, that picture is missing a good third of the console. You got two stations in the center, one the operator sits in and stares at a computer and a panel in the middle of the U. On the small end there is the electric plant which isn't a big deal. Most of the panel is never operated. Behind all of this is a closed room for briefings, and on the other side of that room is the same panel for the other reactor.

They run the thing at 100% power all the time, and I think everything is controlled by chemicals. I really wish I got that job.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You need to learn the fine art of bribing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You are about to find the magic. The magic which is the gray side of the job. Suddenly you will have been standing watch with someone without knowing it and poo poo will be signed off.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

loving buy him a beer and go to the coast guard.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Rename thread to Navy nuclear propulsion: no don't do this.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Is the sub still on fire?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I'll be agreeing with Ket. Prototype is poo poo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Try having a shore duty with twice the amounts of rules you had while at sea. Also you work sea going sub hours, not sure duty hours. And you are on shore. Plus you are still on a sub. Now put in a bunch of students you are responsible for. Now make that sub one of the oldest in the fleet that catches fire.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Go hug your new asian girlfriend.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

KetTarma has a high chance of reenlisting.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Some times you just gotta make up logs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ah the memories of a nuke spu who was too fat to go down to the boat. That is why he made spu.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I was always told on my sub that if we released the anchor we would never stop it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

code:
|\  8  /|
||  8  ||
||  8  ||
|/  8  \|
    |
  --+--
IRCC it looked like this, and those are two plates that would try to squeeze the chain, but didn't have enough grip to stop it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Things not to do with a degree.

-Be enlisted.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We really need to save these happy go lucky posts so they can look back on them after two years and wonder why they didn't want to listen to anyone.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I remember I wanted a challenge. I was always good at math and science, and my recruiter was a nuke. He told me some things about it, and I was ok with it. I never asked for help.

From my time in it turns out none of the things I wanted were part of the job, and hell I'd probably would of had more math as a cook than a nuke.

My buddy got told by his recruiter there will be some days during training that you want to go home and put a bullet in your head but you can't since you gotta put in 5 more hours tonight. That part was true for training and the rest of the time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

As long as you get a good discharge, recruiters will be after you. It should also help with an internship. But if you want to stay in the nuke field you can do outage work which is tough on the time since you gotta fly around, but a lot of plants hire people who do outage work on their plants.

Beyond that, if you want to be directly hired by a plant, you will probably have to be an equipment operator before you touch the reactor controls.

Also unemployment isn't so bad. Guess when the last time I had to muster was.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Protip: get denuked.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Remembered one of my first days on the sub. I was asked to relamp 3 compartments. I went through and checked for burned out lights and replaced only those. Why didn't Power school teach me relamping means replacing all lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

DILDOs, they are called DILDOs. Don't let no one tell you otherwise.

My favorite was the chief who never knew power point had a text version, and only gave us lectures via pictures. He would talk mainly about gambling and how he was molested as a child. Chief Bell.

• Locked thread