Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Foursaken posted:

Let it be said my faith in the training pipeline is diminishing slightly.

I've heard from people that the New York prototype, specifically, is bad. Don't lose all faith!

Also, in addition to powerpoint, all tests are now being administered on bright, eye-searing pink paper. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

ten_twentyfour posted:

I'd also like to hear the answers to these questions.

I'm about to graduate with a B.A. in Physics and it doesn't look like my grades are good enough to get into graduate school (that, and I'm starting to think that might not be the best track for me). Additionally it appears to be pretty hard to get a job doing something at least somewhat science-related.

Since I'll already have a degree, I'm wondering how going nuke as an officer would work (after doing OCS and all).

If you have a GPA >3.0 overall and good grades in your major, it's a good shot. I've seen people with sub-3.0 GPAs get in, even. The real kicker is how your math/physics grades look and how well you do on the interview.

This blog seems to have some good links on getting through the interviews. I'm not sure how the application process for NUPOC/OCS goes, you'll have to get in touch with a recruiter about that, I guess.

As for how it goes, depends on what you do. You can go surface or sub nuke; sub nukes go to power school after OCS but you'll sit on your hands for some time.

MonkeyFit posted:

Relating to that, the recruiter told me my training would get me within about 15 credit hours of a bachelors degree. Is there any truth to that, and if so, exactly which degree is it?

Really depends on what college. The subjects are all over the place; for officer power school, I've heard up to 60 credit hours in a masters in nuclear engineering, but it all depends on the place. For enlisted power school, don't know, but it's likely at least that much, though likely spread out among math, physics, and engineering.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 9, 2011

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

MonkeyFit posted:

Not really gonna happen. I don't think my high school grades are good enough to get a scholarship, I wasn't in ROTC in high school, and the point of me joining the military is to get a college degree out of it. That's my main reason for joining.

Speaking of which, how much time do nukes find themselves with to do college courses?

How long are nukes usually out at sea? (rough estimate is fine)

It's a bit harder to get a ROTC scholarship nowadays unless you're an engineering major due to funding, but still doable. Don't rule it out. Alternatively, if you don't mind the extra commitment, consider enlisting and trying to go STA-21/Academy after nuke school, like Deget said. I know a bunch of people who did that and it's a pretty sweet deal.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question, how much math+science do I need to know, I know as of now Calculus and Calculus based Physics, but would I need to say grab a book on AC/DC circuits and analysis, anything like that?

For enlisted power school: an instructor told me about a student he taught who didn't understand why you could put numbers and letters together. She passed. I'm told the math isn't the hard part.

For officer power school, be very good at algebra and at least okay at physics/calculus. Math is tedious, but math is not the hard part. No point in studying anything ahead of time; for example you cover everything bout DC circuits in like, a week, tops.

Less than a week til I get out of power school, Charleston prototype mid-March. So motivated.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

The news people don't know what the gently caress, and are just being confusing. They've definitely lost at least one reactor, but it doesn't sound like there's a serious leak or anything. Kind of pissed this nuke stuff is overshadowing all the other news.

Probably like a three mile island situation, except TMI was vastly overexaggerated by the media.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Got to tour 635 at the end of my first week in prototype. Only six more weeks til on-crew hooray!

Also it sure is fun having to explain to everyone I know that we're not all gonna die. :derp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

It's okay. I know this ship like the back of my hand.

In all seriousness, I plan to, especially if it's easier to get checkouts done up forward.

• Locked thread