Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Magnificent Quiver posted:

What kind of jobs can a nuke look forward to once they leave the Navy? I imagine turnover is pretty low at American nuclear plants, since there are so few and competition must be pretty heavy.

I've read that a good amount of the work force is retiring in the next decade or so and the turnover is going to be rather high. That said, some guys I served with got out and went right to work at plants making drat good money for someone with no degree....but gently caress shiftwork.

Also I guess I can answer any fast attack nuke questions, I'm also a pretty decent sea lawyer thanks to being bored as poo poo on watch :smug:

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

I've put my balls on a reactor and dipped my hand in radioactive liquid. No x-men children yet but glow in the dark jerk off sessions are hot.

where did the primary shield tank go? thats as close as i got :(

RC owns for jackin it, so many good spots where no one can see you

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Manawski posted:

Do people fail prototype? I would imagine 'yes', but in that sense, did there seem to be any correlation between Power school success and Prototype ability? I'm lacking in the former (3.0, good to go :smug: ).

I didn't see much correlation between the two. After the initial school phase of prototype it seemed more to be who can bother people for checkouts more often. Tests as I recall were very rare, it was all about getting those stupid rear end checkouts and making sure your qual watches are taken care of. Board wasn't that bad at all, even with the civilian in there(I had a civilian and an E-6 if I recall correctly).

Don't think hardly anyone fails prototype, I had a 3.7 in power school but ended with like a 2.9 in prototype

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

There is definitely a lot of hatred for nukes out in the fleet. Fast advancement, not having to play in shipwide events, and our drills make the entire ship hot.

I feel much worse for the conventionals they stick in reactor, glad they sent my rear end to engineering on the reagan

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

On boomers nukes have to do every single drill. There is no drill nukes do not respond to. Also of the four drills you will do every week, three will be in engineering spaces.

That and you better not hope there is a fire in the engineering spaces as a drill or you will see a lot of confused coners getting lost when there are only 3 levels. And you get to hear chiefs say, "This is the third time I've ever been in this space."

what do y'all do for like launch drills? the only good time to be a nuke for us was when they were doing a bunch of FT/TM drills since we didnt have to do poo poo, it almost felt like we were doing something wrong

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

I am trying to remember, but we had hydraulics in the engineering spaces so the mechanics had to deal with that. It may take me awhile to remember the whole drill though.

haha no need, only a gangers usually touched hydraulics on our boat which was nice

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Cerekk posted:

Not true unless you don't consider things like fire control tracking party, section tracking party, torpedo reload team, continuous comms exercises, or any of the missile alert or missile drills short of actual battlestations to be drills. Yeah, nukes have to respond to everything that's associated with an alarm but so does everyone else.

on our boat the ERS and AEA went to control for tracking parties and various nukes had to help reload torpedoes

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Hagetaka posted:

The Scorpion probably had a pickle blow. Not the best example when it comes to picking on nukes.

(The Thresher didn't blow, but there are theories that one of the controlmen scrammed the reactor at a time when the ship critically needed the power. It cost Rickover a lot of sleep)

It was in the procedure back then to scram the reactor during flooding, which is pretty retarded. I read somewhere that it "blew up" due to the pressure in the hull increasing so quickly from the flooding, but I dunno that sounds pretty hard to do.

I dunno what this pickle talk means though

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

The Scorpion is believed to have blown up from a torpedo self-starting itself due to a short circuit. I have a book sitting on my desk talking about how it was actually blown up by the Soviets :tinfoil:

I'd have to see something a little more substantial than wikipedia to believe that because we had to learn about the thresher like 600 times for QA poo poo and I never once saw mention of a short causing a scram. Also read it was an unisolable weld on msw, not a braze. Maybe I just drank myself dumb though

edit; looks like you're right on both counts, they just were forced to isolate the secondary and no frsu procedure existed at the time so they were screwed(this is all on public websites so no cries for opsec)

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 26, 2010

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Cerekk posted:

they dry the hell out of the air before they pressurize it, so that when it comes back out into the ballast tanks, there's no moisture in the HP air to freeze valves shut

Theres more to it that I dunno if you can really get into on an internet forum

also gently caress the HPAD

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

belt posted:

Don't be a dickhead, don't overstudy, and act like you give a poo poo about your job and you'll do fine. Of course that pretty much applies to any part of the nuke field after you get out of power school.

Also I avoided SPUs as much as I could if I had the choice. They tend to be giant twats. Always go to the sea returnee if you have the choice.

Edit: Actually going back I gather that you're an officer? Don't avoid the SPU's at all in that case.

I thought most of the submarine sea returnees were the biggest dicks so maybe it just varies.

Basically just find out who the best people are to sign poo poo and go after them like crazy, you don't have to know everything just know enough so they don't think youre a completely worthless dipshit. Also, study for your qual watches and ask questions unless you like to get yelled at

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
my friends at ballston spa are all alcoholic e-6s so go see them

names thru pm only thanx this guy is a hard charger

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Turtle Sandbox posted:

When my boat was in pre-com our chief gave the HPACs to M-Div, cutting out alot of our maintenace. The SS plant is back there we should look into giving that to M-Div too. God Bless Nukes.

pretty sure on most boats mdiv owns hpacs hth

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

On the SSBN I was on, A-Div took logs on it, but I don't remember who owned the drat things.

they fall under so many divisions its nuts....HP air which is a gang, m-div because hey gently caress those guys, E div since we got the PLCs, and ETs actually operate them and take logs on them

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

Thinking of getting out and doing the same job? I just took the POSS test at Comanche Peak. I was the youngest guy there, plenty of chiefs or very old salty guys, and very few non nukes. One guy was an engineer at the plant who wanted to change over for more money.

The POSS is a glorified asvab with traps in it. Nuke traps. You like math? Well we gave you lots of problems, not enough time to do them, and hard ones to waste your time. Apparently if you try doing them you may fail from not doing enough problems.

The first job you go for is NEO, or nuclear equipment operator. Mix an EM with an MM and you got it. After that you can work your way up.

There were 40 people applying for the job and only 12 are going to be picked up. I was the youngest guy there at 27.

I was gonna ask how this went, thanks for the info man. Is this pretty much standard for how plants are hiring right now or are they short in areas?

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Sandler311 posted:

Pretty sure me and some other nukes researched how long a crab would last underway. Answer, not long.

Also a lot of social experiments happen down there, like how sad you can make people and not have them kill their selves. Answer, very.

i really really wish i would've had the balls to put a rat or hamster in the RC prior to a closeout but figured it would've landed me in jail somehow

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

camino posted:

Either Excelsior College or Thomas Edison State University. Both of them have programs set up for nukes, but they're both online degrees. If you get out and want to work in nuclear power, they're good options. Otherwise you used to be able to get a degree from RPI near NY prototype, but I think they did away with that.

Otherwise the credits aren't that useful. I wound up getting credit for physics, physical education, algebra, and about 60 credits for "electrical electives" at my college. It wasn't extremely useful, but it's better than nothing.

I am currently a Mechanical Engineering major at a major public university and I can verify that nuke school credits are loving worthless unless you get one of those "degrees" from Thomas Edison or the like. Everything regarding engineering in a university is calculus based which makes you poo poo out of luck pretty much. I had 130 credits on the SMART transcript, university "took" 64 but none were actually applied to my degree plan except MAYBE some speech credits if I can sweet talk the adviser enough.

Even the math credits were useless because I had already placed into precal(lol it had been 7 years ok) before I started classes. So yeah, pretty much worthless.

The actual concepts you learn in nuke school are fairly simple, its the sheer amount of poo poo you have to learn and memorize that is difficult.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MonkeyFit posted:

I ship out in October. I had to get an academic waiver cause I screwed up back in high school and failed a math class through my own stupid mistakes. Also I haven't been in a class room in the last 5 years. But everything has gone through and now i just attend DEP meetings until I go now. Still have no idea whether I want to volunteer for subs or not.

You have plenty of time to decide, they even still give you back sub pay if you volunteer in power school(this is what I did). Really simple process so don't do it until you're sure and you've talked to some of your instructors or whatever

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Ryand-Smith posted:

Question, how much math+science do I need to know, I know as of now Calculus and Calculus based Physics, but would I need to say grab a book on AC/DC circuits and analysis, anything like that?

You overestimate how smart nuke students actually are, algebra is pretty much it. The content itself isn't hard, but the amount of poo poo you have to learn is.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Subs are 6 hours of watch per 18 hrs...plus maintenance, training, quals, drills, cleaning. You won't get your own rack on a fast boat often until you're an e-7

We hit like 6 ports in 6 months but a lot of it is maintenance because unlike a carrier we can't do major maintenance at sea(we pulled into hawaii once for 4 days and i got 3 hours off)

Shore duty is same as belt said, but to go to the cake duty(a school/power school) you basically have to be fuckin super sailor and it doesnt happen often

Dont even think about fretting shore duty because the sea duty is hard enough

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

I will chime in to say that shore duty at prototype is considerably more difficult than sea duty

Didn't you spend your entire sea duty on a carrier in the yards
(basically im saying youre full of poo poo)

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 5, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Sorry I can't imagine anything gayer than being underwater 8 months a year

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Goondolences bro

*goes home every day*

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

belt posted:

Coming from the same carrier as him in the same RCOH, I can say that the shipyards was MUCH more difficult and painful than being deployed on that carrier.

Because its easy?(I've been deployed on both)

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
There's a tender in the US still? Last I knew Italy/Guam only....unless they fly y'all out to deploy and/or I'm retarded

Also I heard tenders usually get a ton of ports....true or no? Still wouldn't want to be at sea no matter the circumstances especially on fuckin shore duty

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
You still need a secret man I doubt he was trying to screw you over

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

You have to screen for secret due to submarines. If you don't end up on a sub, you downgrade to confidential/rd/nnpi.

So thats why that rear end in a top hat master chief from reactor tried to get my clearance revoked when he found out I was a former nuke(I don't know the rules but man that guy was an rear end in a top hat)

Sort of on that topic but do y'all know what is involved in getting cleared for working at a civilian nuke plant? I've been to psychologists(never taken medication) and poo poo before and had a DUI, no debt or anything

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 2, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

edit: former MM2/SS welder checking in

sup welder buddy!!!!

oh my god if they were ever forced to rely on me operating that piece of poo poo welder we had we would've all died

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

DarkSol posted:

Plus, they wouldn't need to pay anyone BAH because they could convert the hangar bay into barracks.

Thats like the one cool thing about prototype man :(

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
mids loving own, get home at like 8am or whatever, drink some liquor, pass out in your completely blacked out room....you basically live in the dark except coming home from work

im such a loving goony piece of poo poo

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Im pretty sure they spent an absolute fuckload making it seaworthy again so it'd be surprising to make it an MTS so soon....but this is the navy

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

belt posted:

I guess my point is that being a nuke isn't inherently lovely like most people here will tell you.

Tell that to a sub nuke heh

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

Did you know that there isn't a single port in South America that can support shore power? Guess what that means? Droppin' anchor with P/S duty days and P/S steaming watches, while the coners stand 5-section in-port watches. :toot:

Tell me you are loving joking

Its pretty hosed up that they'd pull in just so the cone could go on liberty, fully knowing that the nukes are stuck

I mean I understand when it happened to us since we had to cool down in hawaii to fix some poo poo, but that is a whole new level of assholishness

Totally would've paid a coner to buy me some booze and prolly would've got drunk on watch :cool:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm sure neither of those piers could accomodate a dinky little submarine.

Fun fact: our anchor broke in Brazil, cutting liberty short for everyone. :mad:

I heard a rumor before that the vast majority of 688 anchors broke off due to how they were stored...we never used ours though

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Third World Reggin posted:

I was always told on my sub that if we released the anchor we would never stop it.

Yeah I think that was it....I dunno how they screwed that up so bad if its true

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
You don't really need a science/math background to do well in nuke school....the difficulty isn't the concepts but more the amount of material you're expected to learn. No calculus or anything is involved so much of the math is just algebra and knowing equations to use and how to manipulate them. I'd say you do fine IF you're willing to put the work in. Getting through nuke school isn't some insanely hard thing like the SEAL program so don't let it intimidate you like that.

I knew some guys with 70s on their ASVABs but they did well because they were willing to put in the work and not act like high school jackasses. If you're decently smart I think work effort and maturity level are way more important than be a really smart person

Also, at least when I was in nuke school, they weren't looking to kick people out of the program for not doing super well academically. They were much more likely to kick you out of school for doing dumb poo poo like underage drinking, lying about hours studied, etc than they were to kick a person out that was really working hard and just struggling with the schoolwork. I dunno how it is now with the economy and being able to get more people into the program though.

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 11, 2011

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Also I only saw TWO nukes the entire time I was in straight up get picked for OCS....one had an engineering degree from Michigan State and nearly perfect scores in nuke school, the other guy made chief in a little over 7 years and was one of the best people we had. Basically its hard.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Oh also nukes that get picked up for OCS always go nuke....I think they basically say hey fuckhead either sign up for nuke officer or no OCS for you :shobon:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

KetTarma posted:

Vinson was in the yards for 4.5 years

E: Just found out one of my students that, as he was crying, I told "if you cry like this on your boat, they will break you" went sad when he got to his boat.

lmao owns

I could swear i told you not to ever do nuke when i was new

genderstomper58 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
also realtalk flooding sims are fun as hell and it makes you realize how dangerous high pressure is....30 psi loving wrecks your poo poo and thats less than 100 feet

• Locked thread