Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Torvec posted:

No I meant getting re-classed while still in the DEP, not after I've already shipped to Basic. The reason they keep telling me to do this is that apparently if I'm already in the DEP they can re-class me without having to go back down to MEPS (they said they can just fax the necessary papers to/from the recruiters office). Or is THAT a bunch of bullshit?

If its not in writing, it don't mean poo poo. If it IS in writing, make copies. Yes, they can fax paperwork, but they can't re-neg your contract without your signature, so don't sign anything without reading, and don't pick any silly open rating options. DEP service isn't military service AT ALL and doesn't count for poo poo because the UCMJ DOESN'T APPLY. Where the hell am I taking this? Oh, right. Lock down in writing exactly what you're going for before signing the contract and they own you.

Remember, recruiters are lying sons of bitches who will do anything to fill their quota to fill those billets to get that NAM to get the EP so they can finally make Chief and get that super sweet permanent billet handing out basketballs in the house that Jack built.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

AnInsomniac posted:

Greetings Nuke Goons, I come to you with a legal question today to tickle your knowledge, since we're all about integrity.

I have been de-nuked, and in consequence, half my enlistment bonus taken back, in the form of deducting from my paycheck until my EAOS, reducing my pay to about $400/mo. after BAH. I successfully completed prototype, and had spent a year on my current boat before the de-nuking, which was basically for failure to qualify basic nuclear quals (3 RO board failures and I was out, to save you the drama). No NJP was involved.

How kosher is this? My only understanding on your bonus, is that you recieve half after A-school, and the rest for completing prototype. Can they legally take it back? Did I sign for this to be ok back in MEPS? Am I retarded?

You signed for the bonus on your enlistment. When you get de-nuked for non-medical reasons, they take the bonus money back out in little bites over a span of time. This is why people go sad panda, because it's cheaper to malinger than it is to be de-nuked any other way.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

moker posted:

Many people also have legitimate problems and don't even think about some stupid rear end bonus but hey sure. You sound like a surface nuke chief

It was cheaper for me to malinger, get de-nuked, and then go to mast for said malingering than it would have been to be an intentional gently caress-up. The job wasn't difficult, but dealing with the piss poor leadership and lack or competent maintenance personnel and watchstanders was. Yes, there are folks with legit problems. I was not one of them. I would have loved to crossrate to a field where people aren't punished for knowing how to do a job, but I didn't have enough time left on my contract, so they made me ADSEP.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

KetTarma posted:

Huffing seems extremely common at NNPTC. Not sure why...

Because nukes are dumb.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
As far as officers thinking they can do whatever they want, there is still nothing that beats the NY NPTU officer student who used to drive bulldozers for a living. Well, he got drunk, and to prove it to his buddys, stole a dozer and flattened half a dozen yards. I don't think that has anything to do with his being an officer, but more to do with him being awesome.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

camino posted:

When I heard that story it was a Bobcat and he wound up getting it stuck in a field at Skidmore.

I do remember Skidmore being involved. Funny things involving sailors always happen at Skidmore, kinda like my old roommate who had to run naked from some girls boyfriend who just decided to stop by.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
Nothing gives me more satisfaction as a civilian than getting a job operating gas boilers and realizing all the bullshit they have you do in the nav is just that. Bullshit. Step by step procedures? HA! I push a button and for the most part just go sit on my rear end. Just thought I should share this.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

If you live in the PNW bases, and you have to deal with a snowstorm like you'd get in the Northeast, the state would be shut down for the week.

Snow was never an issue in the Puget Sound. Never once have I called the snow hotline and heard them call a base opening delay. :(
Up in Ballston Spa, they told us "If you can't drive in this poo poo, call us and we will get you. We're shutting down a month before you graduate and you aren't getting a break."

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

itsrobbiej posted:

Gah. I see this EVERY DAY!

You know what I see every day? The backs of my eyelids AND the sun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

Has anyone gotten out and gone to a career in the space field?

I grow weed in Colorado now. Does that answer your question?

• Locked thread