Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Hi from TOAPP '22 camp :)

ABPT + Stick Men + Trey Gunn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Hi from TOAPP '22 camp :)

ABPT + Stick Men + Trey Gunn

All at the same time??

That always looks like such a fun time

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I went to see The Aristocrats last week and it was a ton of fun but they specifically asked people not to take videos so you'll have to take my word for it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/jaydestro/status/1562973018657148929

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Alex and Geddy are doing something for the Taylor Hawkins tribute. Probably something small but will still be cool to see them play together

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I am seeing Big Big Train in concert tomorrow (their first since before Covid). This excites and pleases me greatly.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

New TMV is out on Bandcamp:

https://themarsvoltaofficial.bandcamp.com/

It’s free to download at the time of this posting. No clue if it’s intentional.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Mars Volta album is out. They did a piece for the New York Times recently in which Omar says this is basically their version of a pop record and they were influenced by Peter Gabriel and David Bowie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/07/arts/music/the-mars-volta.html

It's kinda wild that the longest song on here is just over 4 minutes long. I'm so used to their stuff being like twice as long if not longer.

I'm on my first listen now and it's not bad but it'll still probably go down as my least favorite TMV record. It's nice to hear Omar and Cedric together again, but it feels like they've produced way more interesting results together in past TMV albums and even in stuff like Antemasque. Like that article says, though, they're both 47 now, so I can't blame them for not wanting to make the same-ish structured songs for the rest of their lives.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Love the Volta album, been digging into since it leaked earlier this week and while it has a scant few songs I could take or leave I'm very happy with the majority of it. Incredibly well mixed and produced and Cedric is on top of his game.

rabidcowfromhell
Dec 27, 2004

Remember Iowa
I'm digging it. Definitely not the same kinda music Omar and Cedric were making when they were in their 20s/30s and taking every drug in existence, but still has that "Mars Volta" feel. Standout tracks for me are Equus 3, The Requisition, and Que Dios Te Maldiga Mi Corazon(criminally short). I picked a good time to get a pair of headphones that cost more than 20 bucks for the first time in my life

rabidcowfromhell fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 16, 2022

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Discovered a unique record with …Tardigrades Will Inherit the Earth from the Mute Gods. It's a hodge podge of prog rock styles with inspired songwriting and excellent production even if the lyrical theme lean into clichés.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tonight :woop: :siren: :yay:

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

loving hell they were perfect.

Anesthetize... :anime:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

some decently dep cuts too. Really happy to hear Drown With Me and Buying New Soul live.

e: new members are pretty great too. My sincere hope is they click well enough that they end up writing some new more material together, but IIRC SW's made it pretty clear they're touring members only, so :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 17, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snow Cone Capone posted:

some decently dep cuts too. Really happy to hear Drown With Me and Buying New Soul live.

e: new members are pretty great too. My sincere hope is they click well enough that they end up writing some new more material together, but IIRC SW's made it pretty clear they're touring members only, so :shrug:

That's always been the way, though. John Wesley was only ever just a touring member as well.

Glad to hear the show was good. It should be better by the time I see them at the end of the tour.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jedit posted:

That's always been the way, though. John Wesley was only ever just a touring member as well.

Glad to hear the show was good. It should be better by the time I see them at the end of the tour.

Yeah, I know. Circumstances are a lot different now though and all things considered it's not impossible that some fresh faces might provide some inspiration

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah, I know. Circumstances are a lot different now though and all things considered it's not impossible that some fresh faces might provide some inspiration

~hesmovedon~

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lol that this is literally how John Wesley announced he wasn't involved with the new tour too

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
New TMV's the weakest thing they've ever done, but I appreciate them wanting to do whatever the gently caress they want.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

What's funny is I'd never heard Buying New Soul or Last Chance before this.

I need to give Lightbulb Sun a full listen one of these days (Never got around to that or Recordings for some reason).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are great because they're dead-center in that transitionary phase between full-on psychedelic weirdness of the earlier stuff and the heavier/poppier stuff later on.

Recordings is kind of hit or miss but it's got Buying New Soul and the 14-minute version of Even Less which I love

also was a bit surprised they did the album version of Drown With Me instead of the demo version with the different chorus (which SW has said he likes more):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOhBn5JxDQ

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream are great because they're dead-center in that transitionary phase between full-on psychedelic weirdness of the earlier stuff and the heavier/poppier stuff later on.

I'm going to be murdered by Steven Wilson if he ever finds out, but I got into Porcupine Tree directly off the back of Four Chords That Made A Million.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Deadwing was my first PT album and is still one of my favourites. Never really listened to any of the PT-as-a-solo-project stuff until a few years back.

For like, a solid two years, Lightbulb Sun was my commuting-to-work album because it starts off soft enough to snooze to on the bus but loud enough to drown out the outside world. With average traffic the bus would reach the train station at the end of Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth.

Still not really a big fan of C/C.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

New TMV's the weakest thing they've ever done, but I appreciate them wanting to do whatever the gently caress they want.

This is where I’m at. I think that they probably wanted to record this as like “untitled Omar/Cedric project” but their record label said “look you can do that and tour 300 person venues or you can call it a Mars Volta reunion and tour 2000 person venues”

I knew I’d never get that Deloused/Frances energy ever again but it just seems so bland, but glad that they’re proud of it at least

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like Pink Floyd's new Animals remix. The synths are way up in the mix and it's nice.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I like Pink Floyd's new Animals remix. The synths are way up in the mix and it's nice.

I had no idea there was one! It looks like it's on streaming platforms as "2018 mix" because of it being held up. Apparently Waters wanted the liner notes to basically be like "I, ROGER WATERS, ACTUALLY DID ALL THIS poo poo AND DAVID GILMOUR IS A JERK WHO DID NOTHING", so the compromise after three years was to remove t hem and Roger just posted them on his website. Sucks that he also horseshoe-theory'd into being a Pro-Russia dude.

In terms of the actual remix, I like it - I feel like the bass is higher up too (shockingly), but there's a lot of nuance in the guitar work and effects that I hadn't noticed before.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jedit posted:

I'm going to be murdered by Steven Wilson if he ever finds out, but I got into Porcupine Tree directly off the back of Four Chords That Made A Million.

I got into them off Shallow being played in some random-rear end Mark Wahlberg action movie lol

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm torn between getting the Blu-ray version so I can hear this in 5.1 or the CD so I can listen to it in places other than my basement.

Leaning towards the Blu but also considering both given how much I love the album.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I'm torn between getting the Blu-ray version so I can hear this in 5.1 or the CD so I can listen to it in places other than my basement.

Leaning towards the Blu but also considering both given how much I love the album.

The Floyd's 5.1 releases have all sounded amazing. I don't like the cliche of "you haven't heard X until you've heard it in quad", but in the cases of Dark Side and WYWH it's basically true. So many layers spring out.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Didn't know about this. Just listened to Dogs and it sounds great. The synth solo sounds so clear, it's loving awesome.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Coincidentally I just listened to Lightbulb Sun for the first time and it's on the top half of best PT albums. I don't remember enough of PT's 90s stuff to make a good comparison, but I liked the grooves of Lightbulb Sun. I think it's a frontloaded album, though.

I've fallen in a Frost* hole. It started with me relistening to Milliontown, an album I think is a pretty great modern prog album. But then I checked out Experiments in Mass Appeal, revisited Day And Age and thought the former was quite good and warmed up a lot to the latter. Then just now I checked out Falling Satellites and drat that might be their best album. A masterpiece!

Over the last week I've been cramming them hard and I think Frost* might be a great prog band.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Jedit posted:

The Floyd's 5.1 releases have all sounded amazing. I don't like the cliche of "you haven't heard X until you've heard it in quad", but in the cases of Dark Side and WYWH it's basically true. So many layers spring out.

Yeah on further reflection the Blu-ray is a must have for me.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

DoubleCakes posted:

Coincidentally I just listened to Lightbulb Sun for the first time and it's on the top half of best PT albums. I don't remember enough of PT's 90s stuff to make a good comparison, but I liked the grooves of Lightbulb Sun. I think it's a frontloaded album, though.

I've fallen in a Frost* hole. It started with me relistening to Milliontown, an album I think is a pretty great modern prog album. But then I checked out Experiments in Mass Appeal, revisited Day And Age and thought the former was quite good and warmed up a lot to the latter. Then just now I checked out Falling Satellites and drat that might be their best album. A masterpiece!

Over the last week I've been cramming them hard and I think Frost* might be a great prog band.

Falling Satellites is one of the finest albums of the 2010's.

There's something very, you know, progressive about it. Very cool, very fresh.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Stupid Dream was my first PT album and I heard it when it came out. It blew teenage me away. There are some really sweet melodies and chord progressions on that album, and songs like Pure Narcotic were the essence of what I liked about that band.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I do very much recommend any PT fans who haven't already, to check out Steven Wilson's solo stuff. The newer albums are a lot of fun.

Also look at this freaking personnel list from The Raven That Refused to Sing :chanpop:

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

DoubleCakes posted:

They are indeed! Can I interest you in the opener of Day And Age, the latest album?

https://youtu.be/RmiAmW3sgHs

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Didn’t even know they were on tour until a couple days ago, but The Contortionist is out there doing a full playthrough of both Language and Exoplanet.

Went to the Seattle show last night and it was incredible. Highly recommend.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Quite A Tool posted:

a full playthrough of both Language and Exoplanet.

:aaaaa:

e: gently caress i'm gonna be out of the country

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-mars-volta/2022/the-factory-in-deep-ellum-dallas-tx-13b0516d.html

P cool set

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh wow, it was a De-Loused heavy set and the only 2 songs they played from the new album were the 2 singles which I didn't mind :stwoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The fact that they're playing De-loused stuff is really funny to me in the context of this article published yesterday METALLICA Once Requested THE MARS VOLTA Play Them A Song, And They Wouldn't

quote:

According to The Mars Volta's Omar Rodríguez-López and Cedric Bixler-Zavala in an interview with Zane Lowe of Apple Music 1, Metallica once attended a Mars Volta show and requested they play "Inertiatic ESP" from the 2003 album De-Loused In The Comatorium… and they didn't.

"We met them in New Zealand," said Bixler-Zavala. "They came to our show and they were like, are you going to play this song? We're like, no, we don't play that anymore. Sorry. And he's there. I'm like, God, we should play it for him at least.

He continued: "We didn't play it. We were very stubborn about where we were. It was something from the first records. We were like, we're here now. We understand people really love that, but we're very selfish like that. But it was cool to meet them. It was like, wow."