Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«83 »
Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Despair that tires the world brings the old man laughter. The laughter of the world only grieves him. Believe him. The old man's guide is chance.

Vulture Culture posted:

Anecdotally: I can read music, but I'm so slow at it that it's not worth it. An awful lot of people who play instruments probably fall into the same boat.

Pretty much me. I can sight read music on Trumpet pretty proficiently. But ask me to sight read a classical guitar piece or a piano piece that is more complicated than the most basic of level one easy songs and it would sound pretty awful. That being said, given enough time, I could learn how to play the song from reading it, and I could read chord charts pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I used to be in that same position and then I realized that just spending like 20 to 30 minutes a day on sight reading improves you really fast. and you can learn some good tunes at the same time

Allen Wren
Feb 27, 2008

DaWolfey posted:

Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds

I don't like it? Shrug?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

a very unhappy baby whale

I do, but mainly for the instrumental bits, Justin Hayward and Phil Lynott's vocals and the narration. Maybe it really is the more stagey vocal styles that irk me

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds

Horsell common and the heat ray is great.

As far as musical theatre goes, i think anything by rodgers and hammerstein is reliably good.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

~Sarcastic Bastard~

Robert and Adrian sniping at each other on FB over Jakko butchering Indiscipline on tour.

Ade stated they'd had a deal not to use his lyrics and Robert basically said "I could go on about this but it would be unpleasant".

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Robert and Adrian sniping at each other on FB over Jakko butchering Indiscipline on tour.

Ade stated they'd had a deal not to use his lyrics and Robert basically said "I could go on about this but it would be unpleasant".

Does he repeat himself when under stress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Despair that tires the world brings the old man laughter. The laughter of the world only grieves him. Believe him. The old man's guide is chance.

I like musical theater for the most part, but agree that some of it can be embarrassing to listen to. The classics are generally better than most of the stuff that's been released in the past forty years or so. I agree that Rodgers and Hammerstein were reliably good. I also like Lerner, Strouse, Stothart, Lacey and Wilson. Plays like The Music Man, Camelot and The Sound of Music are some of my favorites. West Side Story was pretty good but overrated, and the dance gang fighting was goofier than most musicals (which is saying something). The Sherman Brothers also deserve a lot of credit for the work they did for Disney. I like early Andrew Lloyd Weber, especially Jesus Christ Superstar, but never much liked Phantom. Cats is a bit of guilty pleasure though because I remember seeing it when I was very young and we had the record. Sondheim has his moments, but more for his themes than for his songs. His plays just tend to be interesting, but he very rarely writes memorable or catchy songs. I haven't seen Les Miserables, but from what I've heard of it, it doesn't really interest me, same goes for Hamilton. I did see that play Rent and thought it was pretty bad. Most of the more recent musicals just aren't very good.

But then you have musicals like Spamelot, Book of Mormon, Avenue Q, The Producers, and the dozens of other musical films that have been released in the passed few decades that parody the stage musical. Most musicals are comedies of a sort, but but these take the parody and fourth wall breaking of the old "musical comedies" to new levels of self-aware clownishness. It's like the dance fighting of west side story on steroids. For these plays you're coming primarily for the comedy not the story and music. They may be kind of trashy, but I actually really like these parody musicals so I guess they're the exception to the "new musicals are bad" rule. Still, it's kind of sad that in order for me to really like a new musical it has to be one that's making fun of musicals.

Still, if you count the prog rock musicals, rock operas, or concept albums as we usually call them (Tommy, War of the Worlds, Rick Wakeman's albums, The Wall, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Quadrophenia, etc.) then there's plenty more to like. These are awesome and are my favorite types of musicals, if you consider them musicals. And I would actually put Jesus Christ Superstar in this category since it started as a double lp rock album with rock singers and musicians and didn't become a stage musical until later.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2017 around 05:11

«83 »