Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«96 »
Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

~Sarcastic Bastard~

Hello from Three of a Perfect Pair 2018!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Iíve seen Steven Wilson twice. Once on the Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour and once on the To the Bone tour. The HCE show was one of the best Iíve ever seen. The TTB was lackluster for me, mainly because I donít enjoy that album very much but also because SW was weirdly defensive and preachy during the show. Fan reaction to the new album has been mixed to he was basically telling everyone they should like it in between songs. It was really awkward and uncomfortable.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Was thinking about seeing him here in houston but like some people here im more of a PT fan than Steven Wilson fan. I kind of owe it to him though after years of pirating his albums.. lol.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

i was under 18 last time porcupine tree came here so i had to settle for the raven that refused to sing tour. i thought insurgentes was awesome, grace for drowning was bad and raven was pretty good. hand cannot erase and to the bone i have barely listened to so cannot offer opinions on

edit: pineapple thief are the only prog band i really follow anymore and they are great these days with gavin harrison joining them

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at Aug 14, 2018 around 10:31

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Astrochicken posted:

Was thinking about seeing him here in houston but like some people here im more of a PT fan than Steven Wilson fan. I kind of owe it to him though after years of pirating his albums.. lol.
SW usually sneaks a couple of Porcupine Tree tunes into his setlists and Arriving Somewhere has shown up in more than a few this year

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

i was under 18 last time porcupine tree came here so i had to settle for the raven that refused to sing tour. i thought insurgentes was awesome, grace for drowning was bad and raven was pretty good. hand cannot erase and to the bone i have barely listened to so cannot offer opinions on

edit: pineapple thief are the only prog band i really follow anymore and they are great these days with gavin harrison joining them

I feel like you should check out Caligula's Horse based on those opinions.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

strap on revenge posted:

pretty much how i feel. Insurgentes is incredible. I think PT/SW production-wise err on the side of sounding too airy fairy in a way, even when if it's heavy, but that album crashes and bangs and broods. It's fantastic.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

SW usually sneaks a couple of Porcupine Tree tunes into his setlists and Arriving Somewhere has shown up in more than a few this year

I saw his first solo tour after Grace of Drowning and he specifically asked people not to request PT songs. I think now that he has a bigger catalouge and more confidence in his solo work he probably doesn't mind bringing out the old classics now and then.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I saw his first solo tour after Grace of Drowning and he specifically asked people not to request PT songs. I think now that he has a bigger catalouge and more confidence in his solo work he probably doesn't mind bringing out the old classics now and then.
Plus, he'd been playing that whole catalogue on the regular for 20+ years at that point. I remember by the time Fear of a Blank Planet came around he was so tired of playing "Trains" that he had developed a visible eye twitch around the song.

In one of their last tours, the one where PT played Radio City, they broke out a bunch of really old stuff like "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Dislocated Day" and played none of the songs he hated, and that was basically the writing on the wall for the band as far as I was concerned

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.

What are the Porcupine Tree songs Steven Wilson hates?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Brother, why must you be the one with the superior jeans?

Trains, as mentioned due to the amount of times he had to play it. Blackest Eyes also seemed to get a bit of hate; I remember listening to a bootleg from The Incident tour where Steven sounded super checked out before starting the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Despair that tires the world brings the old man laughter. The laughter of the world only grieves him. Believe him. The old man's guide is chance.

Vulture Culture posted:

Plus, he'd been playing that whole catalogue on the regular for 20+ years at that point. I remember by the time Fear of a Blank Planet came around he was so tired of playing "Trains" that he had developed a visible eye twitch around the song.

In one of their last tours, the one where PT played Radio City, they broke out a bunch of really old stuff like "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Dislocated Day" and played none of the songs he hated, and that was basically the writing on the wall for the band as far as I was concerned

I always preferred the older PT stuff like on Sky Moves Sideways over the stuff on In Absentia and Deadwing so I was glad when they did this. I get that they had to make In Absentia and go that more commercial route in order to get more mainstream success. Don't get me wrong it was still quite progressive and the production was better than anything they did before. But it had a bit too much of that late 90s/early 2000s brit-poppy sound that was everywhere by that point. I could almost hear them breaking out into Wonderwall or something. SW seems to have very similar taste in music that I do so I have a feeling he feels the same way about that period of PT.

«96 »