Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
gently caress man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

gently caress man.

Yeah.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What is it with Canadian rock legends and brain cancer? First Gord Downie now Peart. :(

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The best concert experience I ever had was seeing Rush perform Xanadu on the R40 Tour. Not the best concert I ever saw, mind you, but the best concert experience.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
RIP to a real one. Totally redefined rock drumming and influenced so many artists. His impact on music will live on for a long, long time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I’m sad. :smith:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Neil Peart's drumming helped me understand and appreciate what drumming does for music. RIP

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
RIP Neil Peart. What a guy, unbelievable drummer and songwriter. He leaves behind an amazing musical legacy.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
He wrote a couple of pretty good books too. Talented guy.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Oh man I'm listening to Between and Buried and Me for the first time and listening to Voice of Trespass convinced me I need to seriously listen to more of this band.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I need to give them a relisten because although I came cold off of Colors, I still think about that album. There was something special about it.

In the meantime I've been checking out more prog, prog metal in fact. I gave Amorphis another try with Skyforger and didn't like it. Then again a revisit to Tales from the Thousand Lakes wasn't as enthusiastic as my first go around. I will probably give them one last shot before writing them off though.

I wasn't expecting OSI's self-titled debut to do anything for me but that was through and through a magnificent prog metal/rock album. It reminded me of the creativity of something like those early prog masterpieces although "Shoutdown" was OSI's lowpoint.

In my recent exploration of prog, I also finally pulled the trigger on Dream Theater. From what I've gathered of hearing about them over the years (and giving them the occasional listen) they are everything fundamental and subpar about new prog music. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, though, is at least a very solid, very accomplished prog metal album and I'll listen to it again. I have no faith that they will strike twice with me. I've read up on a few of their other albums and Six Degrees seems like its good as its gonna get. Random thought but "The Great Debate" was the most sophomoric social commentary song I've heard in awhile and I worry that the second I really pay attention to Dream Theater's lyricism the spell will shatter completely.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

BTBAM fuckin rules and The Parallax I & II are probably my favourite prog metal things ever. All of their material is A+ tbh

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

DoubleCakes posted:

I need to give them a relisten because although I came cold off of Colors, I still think about that album. There was something special about it.

In the meantime I've been checking out more prog, prog metal in fact. I gave Amorphis another try with Skyforger and didn't like it. Then again a revisit to Tales from the Thousand Lakes wasn't as enthusiastic as my first go around. I will probably give them one last shot before writing them off though.

I wasn't expecting OSI's self-titled debut to do anything for me but that was through and through a magnificent prog metal/rock album. It reminded me of the creativity of something like those early prog masterpieces although "Shoutdown" was OSI's lowpoint.

In my recent exploration of prog, I also finally pulled the trigger on Dream Theater. From what I've gathered of hearing about them over the years (and giving them the occasional listen) they are everything fundamental and subpar about new prog music. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, though, is at least a very solid, very accomplished prog metal album and I'll listen to it again. I have no faith that they will strike twice with me. I've read up on a few of their other albums and Six Degrees seems like its good as its gonna get. Random thought but "The Great Debate" was the most sophomoric social commentary song I've heard in awhile and I worry that the second I really pay attention to Dream Theater's lyricism the spell will shatter completely.

The Dream Theater fanboy in me fizzled out in me a while ago but I'd say before you fully write then off, listen to Images and Words or Scenes From A Memory. I really only listen to the 6DOIT suite from that album and skip the rest

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Images & Words, Awake, and Six Degrees are where the inventive poo poo is at, the rest of their back catalogue is a mixture of competent but unremarkable shredding and only-for-the-guy-with-their-symbol-tattooed-on-his-calf dreck. I say this as someone who practically worshipped them in the early-mid 00s.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

On the topic of Prog Metal, the new album by prog metal supergroup Sons of Apollo is pretty solid.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Going forward I will probably listen to the double version of Genesis' Abacab but those additional songs and the extended running time didn't do too much for me. "Paperlate", if it had appeared on that album, would have been their poppiest song so far. As they were transforming into a pop rock band, I'm surprised it wasn't on there.

By the way, has anyone heard of Cheeto's Magazine? They're a Spanish crossover prog band and although they only have two albums so far I've listened to them both and I think they're a standout in modern prog. Their style is very upbeat and comedic and in their 2014 album Bowling Fowls it gets a little repetitive and samey whereas in their 2019 release Amazingous they display a broader of array of tones. I've seen them compared to Spock's Beard and I haven't listened to a lot of SB but I get the comparisons. On a lot of their album covers they have bright colourful cartoons (in fact the face on the cover of Amazingous looks like something from the late 00's) which warrants the description that they are what would happen if you took a cartoon and turned that cartoon into a prog rock band.

Here's their track Cheese Cheater.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

DoubleCakes posted:

I don't think Shutdown hurts the album too badly, but between it dragging on and on, and the Steven Wilson vocals, I've misremembered it as a Porcupine Tree song in the past, haha. I still really love When You're Ready and Hello, Helicopter!

Space-Dye Vest (from Awake) was Kevin Moore's best work with Dream Theater, and has a very OSI feel, so definitely listen to that.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
OSI pretty much became my favorite band last year. I listened less to Fire Make Thunder as it seems to do less for me, but the first 3 albums are amazing. I'm kind of mad because I still can't listen to Blood without weeping, it was the soundtrack to my breakup last year :(

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DoubleCakes posted:

By the way, has anyone heard of Cheeto's Magazine?

Even without the humorous element, which is often used as a gimmick, the compositions on Amazingous are incredibly solid. I don't think there's a track on there that I don't actively enjoy, and I also don't get burnt out halfway through the album.

When trying to think of similar albums the best I can come up with is A.C.T's Circus Pandemonium which has some high highs but is a little too samey for me. Their melodies are excellent but their solos are a bit weak and they don't have much dynamic range -- everyone is all go all the time.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Fire Make Thunder is decent as a whole but Wind Won't Howl and For Nothing are loving incredible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xpx__5SfTQ

drat dude is Moore doing anything at all atm.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Pure Reason Revolution are reuniting for a new album. Hope I'm not the only one excited about it. Would love to see them live someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLlKj5u_SJ8

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

PRR are one of my favourite newer prog bands ("newer" meaning anything that came after the 70s). Cautionary Tales for the Brave is such a great EP. I've heard that they were not great at reproducing those amazing harmonies live, though.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Paladinus posted:

Pure Reason Revolution are reuniting for a new album. Hope I'm not the only one excited about it. Would love to see them live someday.

Holy gently caress! poo poo! Yes!

I saw Bullet Height (Jon Courtney's other project he started after PRR) in Germany and the album itself is pretty inoffensive but doesn't even come close to scratching the PRR itch

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

there's going to be a new Horse Lords album and as they're a current rock band doing mostly unprecedented experimentation in the vein of the old RIO scene you should check it out https://horselords.bandcamp.com/album/the-common-task

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Paladinus posted:

That's loving amazing news. I was just saying the other day, what a shame there won't ever be another PRR album.

I've probably listened to Amor Vincit Omnia in my car more than any other album ever.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Seventh Arrow posted:

PRR are one of my favourite newer prog bands ("newer" meaning anything that came after the 70s). Cautionary Tales for the Brave is such a great EP. I've heard that they were not great at reproducing those amazing harmonies live, though.

I've heard differently, but then again, people often overlook things like that in live performances if the general energy at the concert is great. Plus the band have more experience now.

Rollersnake posted:

That's loving amazing news. I was just saying the other day, what a shame there won't ever be another PRR album.

I've probably listened to Amor Vincit Omnia in my car more than any other album ever.

Just listened to it yesterday. From time to time Deus Ex Machina just pops into my head, and I have to hear it at least a couple of times, or it will be stuck there for weeks.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
At the Tool show in Austin, Pat Mastelotto joined Danny on stage for a drum duet. There's video floating about

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mars Volta bassist Juan Alderete is in a coma after a bike accident:

https://www.theprp.com/2020/01/24/n...cycle-accident/

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Paladinus posted:

I've heard differently, but then again, people often overlook things like that in live performances if the general energy at the concert is great. Plus the band have more experience now.

When I saw them live, they definitely had trouble keeping their vocals in tune, to the extent you really couldn't overlook it. You don't have to take my word for it.

In retrospect, that was a really cool setlist I did not fully appreciate at the time, my experience with them limited to listening to The Dark Third once or twice. It looks like they debuted Victorious Cupid on their European tour earlier that year, but this was either the first or second time they would have played Deus ex Machina. (setlist.fm says first, but there's no recorded setlist from the previous day's show in Philadelphia, and I assume they would have played it then too.) The only time I can say I heard music from one of my favorite albums before the album existed.

Henchman of Santa posted:

gently caress. Hoping for the best, but looking up the type of TBI he has, it sounds really bleak.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 25, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henchman of Santa posted:

Oh goddamnit :smith:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Has anybody seen Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets play live?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Has anybody seen Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets play live?

Yes, great show.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Wow they play all the stuff is actually want to see Pink Floyd play.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Although they are not always proggy, I've been diving into the works of the Gathering and albums like How to Measure a Planet? and if_then_else are some of the best prog releases of 1998 and 2000 respectively.

Keeping up with new prog releases a bit, I checked out Karfagen's Birds of Passage and it was a solid symphonic prog album! The production was very "light" and fantastical. I'll give it a relisten before long and it'll probably grow on me.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

DoubleCakes posted:

Going forward I will probably listen to the double version of Genesis' Abacab but those additional songs and the extended running time didn't do too much for me. "Paperlate", if it had appeared on that album, would have been their poppiest song so far. As they were transforming into a pop rock band, I'm surprised it wasn't on there.

Paperlate and No Reply At All could easily be songs on a Phil Collins solo album, especially because of the phoenix horns section. The double album version of Abacab is only better because of the extended Dodo suite.

https://youtu.be/w4Y5OQhYt48

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 27, 2020

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Pure Reason Revolution released a single for "Silent Genesis" from their upcoming album Eupnea.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's good! Very memorable.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I can't say "The Dark Third, but more metal" was the direction I was expecting them to go, but I'm intrigued. Not totally in love with this track at first listen, but it's good, and probably something I'll really appreciate in the context of the album.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I was wondering what this was going to be like since as far as I know it's only Jon and Chloe returning, but I'm really into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

My revisit to Oceansize went well. If Frames left me cold or enthusiastic, Effloresce was far more engaging. From "I Am The Morning" going forward, I really enjoyed it and I can see why this is one of those new prog bands people love.

The Watch clearly take a lot from Genesis but many of their song structures, chord progressions, and other musical elements were never found in Genesis' discography. I checked out Vacuum and will likely listen to them again.

I've heard about them for years and I finally dove into Mew. I don't know how proggy their discog is but And The Glass Handed Kites was delightfully prog. Their sound is really special. It sounds like an style made for me: dream pop done in a prog fashion.