Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Tsaedje posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qMsr7jjQF0

Not the most polished live performance, but extremely surreal to see Gabriel era Genesis in this level of video quality

Phil's outfit in this is something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

For the longest time I was all and only about Selling England by the Pound. Something about that album really clicked, and it took me a while to open up to even Gabriel's other ones. I'm still not sold on Lamb (though The Samurai of Prog's cover of The Lamia is great).

My favourite Genesis song is The Carpet Crawlers (from Lamb). The whole album as a package can be a slog, but man there are a couple diamonds in there.
Especially the Live in Paris version. Goddamn it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpEyuenDAo4

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

New release today: Mike Mangini - Play alongside an AI that’s been fed the last four DT albums

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
gently caress.

Alright, so a majority of these tracks (minus Invisible Monster) compositionally sate the hell of my wank-interplay fix. The tones and everything too is "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Then James comes in and makes all that unlistinable.

He's not great usually, but I've never had this much of a problem with James before. The lyrical autopilot on display doesn't help either. The only 2 songs he doesn't actively ruin is Transending Time (which is a legit instant classic) and Awaken The Djent Master.

EDIT: I take it back every single track on here is insufferable.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 22, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jesus Christ, John I know he's your loving friend but fire James already.

If Queensryche can find a dude who can do a 95% bang-on Geoff Tate impression who isn't an absolute rear end in a top hat, you can find a replacement for JLB.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Alternatively, only LTE albums from now on forever.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Colonel J posted:

Alternatively, only LTE albums from now on forever.

I was at the Chicago LTE show where the keyboards broke. It was awesome. Charlie Benante (from Anthrax) was in the crowd and went up and played drums at one point and they all swapped instruments.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

On an unrelated note, I listened to the first three Journey albums and they're quite prog-oriented. I guess that makes sense, since Neal Schon and Greg Rolie were just fresh off of their stint with Santana. This is definitely not the same mindset that gave us "Don't Stop Believin'."

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

On an unrelated note, I listened to the first three Journey albums and they're quite prog-oriented. I guess that makes sense, since Neal Schon and Greg Rolie were just fresh off of their stint with Santana. This is definitely not the same mindset that gave us "Don't Stop Believin'."

The early stuff isn’t great music but their pop turn was way more extreme than genesis’

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

BigFactory posted:

The early stuff isn’t great music but their pop turn was way more extreme than genesis’

Maybe more than Chicago's, too. It's weird to listen to the early Chicago albums where they were playing more experimental (and funky) stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

Maybe more than Chicago's, too. It's weird to listen to the early Chicago albums where they were playing more experimental (and funky) stuff.

Yeah the first Chicago record is really good if you like horn bands. Peter Cetera ended up having a strange taste in music though. You wonder if they would have kept making kind of interesting stuff if Terry kath didn’t die.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Chicago V is really good too. Listen to "A Hit By Varese" and then listen to "You're the Inspiration" and see if your brain survives the tonal whiplash.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

Next and Infinity are great.

Evolution sucks, Departure & Dream After Dream is drat good if you fuse the tracklist, Escape is mostly rear end and doesn't even have the best song from those sessions (La Raza Del Sol).

Frontiers is cock rock from front to back with zero prog but it’s a BANGER imo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Next and Infinity are great.

Evolution sucks, Departure & Dream After Dream is drat good if you fuse the tracklist, Escape is mostly rear end and doesn't even have the best song from those sessions (La Raza Del Sol).

Frontiers is cock rock from front to back with zero prog but it’s a BANGER imo.

I was thinking of like the self titled one. It’s pretty boring but slightly proggy.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

I was thinking of like the self titled one. It’s pretty boring but slightly proggy.

S/T and Look Into The Future are boring as sin.

Next kinda sounds like Rush.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Man, as a DT superfan, the last three albums have been so god damned boring and unremarkable, it's frustrating. The only two tracks I've felt the need to listen to more than once are ones that explicitly sound like B-Sides from ADTOE. Portnoy was an rear end in a top hat but he really was the person who knew how to make new ideas happen :sigh:

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

So, first Van Der Graaf Generator gig in Finland, ever, yesterday. Sort of. Thanks to Brexit, some travel documentation related things left the drummer Guy Evans stranded at Heathrow. Thus Peter Hamill and Hugh Banton had some 36h to either cancel the two Finland gigs at the very least at minimal notice, or adapt the set for 1-2 keyboards and guitar, more or less.

Haven't been listening to newer VDGG really, some the early gig material left me somewhat cold, but towards the end of the set the good feels started coming in. Man-Erg, Lemmings, Still Life, and encore of House With No Door that probably sounded the best out of duo-VDGG pieces. Hamill is really charming guy, and was apologising even a bit too much for the current trouble, and his voice is to this day just so powerful in the genre. Left with a smile on my face - almost bummed a bit to not have been there for the second gig today, which apparently had a bit different set list. Not the gig that I expected, but enjoyed it enough nonetheless.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Pete Hamill is a prince. Talked to him very briefly after IB Expo 2019, just thanked him for all the music and happiness he has brought to so many people, and he beamed like the sun and shook my hand.

Sorry VdGG isn't coming to Copenhagen but they're playing Stockholm on Wednesday

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Man, as a DT superfan, the last three albums have been so god damned boring and unremarkable, it's frustrating. The only two tracks I've felt the need to listen to more than once are ones that explicitly sound like B-Sides from ADTOE. Portnoy was an rear end in a top hat but he really was the person who knew how to make new ideas happen :sigh:

Letting JP near an 8-string guitar while having him also be the principal songwriter was a mistake.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

https://facebook.com/events/s/van-der-graaf-generator-lilla-/2957780394460281/

This might become a live stream, or maybe not, in a few minutes

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I've made a 180 with this DT album. Had some wings and beers then went on a night drive thru the Hudson Parkway with this blasting. loving love it now.

Has a velocity to it not heard since Train Of Thought/Octavarium (ironic considering the previous album is literally called "Speed" and that was a boring slog).

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Is this the newest DT album you're talking about, the one they postponed the tour of?

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Duke thru S/T is the soundtrack to cocaine

lmao I definitely have had 'chester cheetah snorting cheetos to tom sawyer' moments listening to Duke on adderall. Lame? yes. but this is the prog rock thread.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Turbinosamente posted:

Is this the newest DT album you're talking about, the one they postponed the tour of?

Yes.

Tl;Dr version: Hated it a few days ago. All of a sudden I can't stop listening to it. Go figure.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Blink twice if John Petrucci is holding you hostage (and also tell him I’m a huge fan and bought a mark v because of him)

Jokes aside I should probably put the album on again and see if something clicks.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ah maybe I should give it a listen before the concert. I was going to let it be the first time I heard it but welp 2022 is a long time to wait.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

https://forms.sonymusicfans.com/campaign/a8kk5xaqp8b6smpn/

P/T
C/C

New album and/or tour? Or just some old recordings and new merch?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

P/T
C/C

Oh boy does that look like phishing

Warthur
May 2, 2004

P/T
C/C

They did a definitive Delirium-era (ie, pre-Stupid Dream) boxed set a while back, maybe a boxed set for the rest of the career's coming.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Warthur posted:

They did a definitive Delirium-era (ie, pre-Stupid Dream) boxed set a while back, maybe a boxed set for the rest of the career's coming.

PTCC = Porcupine Tree Complete Collection? Maybe, but they didn’t do any social media secretive hype machine bullshit for that collection or any of the remasters.
On the other hand, Wilson did say, during the release of The Future Bites, that there were no plans of reuniting.

Personally i think it’s just Porcupine Tree Crazy Colonoscopy and it’s going to be uncomfortable for everyone.

Rust Martialis posted:

Oh boy does that look like phishing

Lol, don’t actually sign up for any of that no.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PTCC = Porcupine Tree Complete Collection? Maybe, but they didn’t do any social media secretive hype machine bullshit for that collection or any of the remasters.
On the other hand, Wilson did say, during the release of The Future Bites, that there were no plans of reuniting.
The Delirium collection came out through Delirium, though, and this thing seems to be coming through Sony, who might want to do a bit more in the way of hype machine stuff.

EDIT: "Complete Collection" would be a misnomer due to the existence of the Delirium albums (unless they want us to buy two reissues in a very short span of time, lol), but "Concert Collection" also fits...

Warthur fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 28, 2021

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Gavin posted this so

https://www.facebook.com/drummergavinharrison/videos/558949258528226/

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Just when you think ELP had too many dead members to do something totally absurd and embarrassing to wreck their reputation yet again... https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/emerson-lake-palmer-reunion-tour-interview-1247408/

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/mastodonmusic/status/1453938922136899587?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

P/T
C/C

There are two 10-second videos on the PT YouTube put up in the last day. Some people have been messing around with reversing the audio and speeding it up, and others have gone into the metadata. It appears to be a snippet from a new song called Harridan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYGmLyjFxaA

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

https://porcupinetree.com/

Hey, it is actually a new record and a (short) tour!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

No Colin Edwin?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I always knew a porcupine tree reunion wouldn't live up to my lofty hopes for it but that song is extremely not my jam :( I already miss the smooth bass lines of Colin Edwin

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That song, if you missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW5v4Ohxk5k

Apparently a lot of the tracks have been stored as WIPs since The Incident, so even if Colin Edwin isn't touring he may be on the album somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Need to sign up to get a presale code for North America!!!!! You do *not* need to buy any merch, it's free if you spot the "click here" link.