Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

In the list of odder things I've done I am currently discussing doing a barbershop quartet with Tony Levin next fall. Any advice on KC songs that might work as 4 part harmony welcome!

Coming soon: Sing Crimson Quartet

Starless would be great!
One More Red Nightmare
Epitaph
Cat Food
the "Prince Rupert Awakes" section of Lizard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Prog Doctor posted:

Starless would be great!
One More Red Nightmare
Epitaph
Cat Food
the "Prince Rupert Awakes" section of Lizard

I'd love to see them do the whole Lizard. That battle section is sick. Have they ever done the whole thing live?

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

Have they ever done the whole thing live?

As far as I'm aware, no. The line-up that recorded Lizard never actually toured. It fell apart too quickly. Robert Fripp said of the line-up that King Crimson was "an unfair opportunity" for the others because they were too good to have been in the band.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Prog Doctor posted:

As far as I'm aware, no. The line-up that recorded Lizard never actually toured. It fell apart too quickly. Robert Fripp said of the line-up that King Crimson was "an unfair opportunity" for the others because they were too good to have been in the band.

I will say the 72 lineup is pretty drat good, there a few bootlegs out there where they REALLY stretch out (20+ minute versions of Groon). Boz is no Wetton or Levin, but he holds it down while everyone gets their musical freak on.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
They were good! But you'd never know it from their "official" live album Earthbound, which (as Fripp will tell you) is seriously one of the worst live albums ever made.

By the way, the Steve Wilson remix of Lizard is amazing. Maybe the biggest improvement I've ever heard in a remaster. Totally transforms the thing, giving it this big, mystical, freaky sound. I can see why Fripp doesn't like it, but man, there's so little music anywhere like this.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
So... New Ayreon album out at the end of this month. Anyone else excited? I love the Ayreon universe. It's really cheesy but I love most of the music and the lyrics + numerous vocalists give the project a special appeal.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

JAMOOOL posted:

They were good! But you'd never know it from their "official" live album Earthbound, which (as Fripp will tell you) is seriously one of the worst live albums ever made.

My dad had the "Frame By Frame" boxset which had the most official live recordings you could get for sometime. I've been spinning them in my car and it's really heavy on the 72 lineup. Browsing DGMlive you can see Fripp probably was getting bothered by having so many live dates recorded but not feeling 100% on the band probably got to him in some way.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
As terrible as Earthbound sounds, I still don't think I've heard a version of Schizoid Man with solos that surpass that performance's. It's all the album has going for it, especially now that there's a shitton of other available live material from the Islands lineup.

What kills me is that high-quality soundboard recordings exist for like the first five performances of this lineup, but not for the Jamie Muir lineup, which debuted a year and a half later at the same venue.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I'm surprised that, with all the good soundboard recordings they obviously had, they went with the lovely recording on Earthbound for their first official live album. It sounds like a bootleg recorded from some dude with a portable cassette recorder in the audience.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
...and now I have to check out this Haken stuff. Every time I check into this thread I find something new, thanks again.

nihil morari posted:

So... New Ayreon album out at the end of this month. Anyone else excited? I love the Ayreon universe. It's really cheesy but I love most of the music and the lyrics + numerous vocalists give the project a special appeal.

I actually popped in to talk about Ayreon. I just recently checked out Universal Migrator and 1011001 and was really impressed. It's lyrically corny, but sometimes I want to listen to science fiction themed music about astronomical phenomena. I have a few more albums to get through, but from what I've heard so far I'm looking forward to the new one.

My current favorite Ayreon track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHbuL3l12Q

With a close second being:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebHbuL3l12Q

I'm still pretty hyped for the upcoming Devin Townsend Project album and Ziltoid 2.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
You linked to the same Ayreon track. But yes, Unnatural Selection is great. I don't mind Ayreon's lyrics because I know he is aware of the cheese factor and doesn't take it/himself completely seriously. Have you listened to Into The Electric Castle or The Human Equation?
Here's a favorite from Equation (w/ Devin on vocals!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Yqvf7GtWo

And a favorite from Electric Castle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yxGo_lw7s

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ohh I'd completely forgotten about Ayreon until the posts about the new album showed up here. Thanks for the reminder! Got introduce to the band while at uni, just after The Human Equation came out, looking at the vocalist list with a friend of mind. Wasn't totally convinced it would really work, but as soon as the album started going, I was sold.

From there on, I did enjoy the fact he mixes up the vocalists so much and it just gives it a lot of variety, even with singers I wouldn't normally be a fan of. Didn't he once take a pop at Avantasia, saying "What's the point of all these singers if the need the lyric sheet to tell them apart?" or something along those lines?

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 5, 2013

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Last month was god damned ridiculous.

New Haken, Dream Theater, Lalu, Fates Warning, and Subsignal.

Fuuuuuuck :pcgaming:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just got home from a Steven Wilson concert and oh my god it was amazing. And as it turns out the question I forgot to ask at the signing was answered later (the answer is yes, he is a Jakob fan). Easily the best show I've been to, I was right up against the stage between Nick Beggs and SW's piano :c00lbert: Nick Beggs is awesome to watch and he seems so happy all the time.

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

If you're looking for crazy gonzo-jazz, maybe Magma?

I've tried Magma a few times in the past but never really got into it like I do with Area. Which album of theirs do you think is most like what I'm after?

I've been listening to the new Leprous and Motorpsycho a lot recently. Can't get enough of Coal for some reason

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

teen bear posted:

I've tried Magma a few times in the past but never really got into it like I do with Area. Which album of theirs do you think is most like what I'm after?

I've been listening to the new Leprous and Motorpsycho a lot recently. Can't get enough of Coal for some reason

KA is their most accessible to me, and is my all-time favorite. Give it a few good spins. Especially track 3.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

nihil morari posted:

You linked to the same Ayreon track.

Doh, meant to link To the Quasar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6VGFBepOnE

I haven't gotten around to either of those other albums yet, but I think I'll pick them both up for listening to at work this week.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Off to see Hackett do Genesis Revisited tonight in for no apparent reason, Belleville ON.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

Off to see Hackett do Genesis Revisited tonight in for no apparent reason, Belleville ON.

I saw him in Westbury, NY. 4 Standing ovations in one show. Definitely one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
This happened a few months ago, but I didn't hear about it until recently and it wasn't mentioned in the thread.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/james-cameron-20th-century-fox-avatar-new-copyright-lawsuit/

quote:

The highest-grossing movie of all time is again the subject of a copyright legal battle. Artist William Roger Dean filed a complaint against James Cameron and 20th Century Fox on Thursday seeking more than $50 million in damages over Avatar. Unlike past Avatar plaintiffs, Dean has an established pedigree. He is a well known artist who has created album covers for such big-selling bands as Yes and Asia and exhibited his fantasy landscapes and other work around the world. In fact, it is the ubiquity of his work, as well as a movie proposal based on it that he took at the 2005 Cannes Film Fest, that has Dean convinced the look of the 2009 3D sci-fi film were derived from his images. “The similarities of each such work are substantial, continuing, and direct so as to rule out any accidental copying or similarity in scenes common to the genre. The infringing portions of Avatar are so similar to Plaintiffs Works that Defendants and others employed in the preparation of the film must have had access to the Plaintiffs Works,” says his 17-page complaint (read it here) filed June 27 in U.S District Court in New York. The filing cites numerous specific examples from the world of Pandora to the foliage and creatures that populate it where Dean sees his own work. Along with copyright infringement, Dean also is claiming contributory infringement, breach of implied contact, unfair competition and unjust enrichment.

This is the fourth Avatar suit Cameron and Fox have had to deal with in the past year or so alone. In March, a federal judge gave the green light to a trial on part of screenwriter Bryant Moore’s multibillion-dollar copyright lawsuit over the movie. Moore claims that scripts of his that were submitted to Cameron’s company were used as the basis for Avatar. The case is likely to end up in front of a jury in the next couple of months. The other two suits have ended in the director and the studio’s favor. In September of last year, Cameron and Fox prevailed over a copyright infringement suit from writer Elijah Schkeiban, who claimed Avatar was ripped off from his novel and subsequent film script Bats And Butterflies. In January, the director won a summary judgment in a suit from Gerald Morawski, who also accused Cameron of ripping off his ideas to come up with the movie.

In this wide ranging compliant, Dean is not just after the $50 million or more to be proved at trial. The artist also wants an injunction, a full accounting and a court order to be posted online and elsewhere that the defendants ripped off his work. And he wants those rights enforced for future Avatar projects. “Further, upon information and belief, Defendants intend to film two (2) sequels and possibly a ‘prequel’ to Avatar, and a Walt Disney World Avatar-themed attraction, which sequels, prequel and attraction are very likely to utilize many of the original images of Plaintiff which would further continue Defendants breach of contractual obligations owed to Plaintiff,” the complaint says. Dune Entertainment, Lightstorm Entertainment and Ingenious Film Partners 2 are named as defendants along with Cameron and 20th Century Fox Film Corp and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. Dean is represented by Steven M. Hayes of NYC firm Hanly Conroy Bierstein Sheridan Fisher & Hayes.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The Monkey Man posted:

This happened a few months ago, but I didn't hear about it until recently and it wasn't mentioned in the thread.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/james-cameron-20th-century-fox-avatar-new-copyright-lawsuit/

This has actually been in the works since just after the film came out. I don't blame him, while watching the movie I repeatedly though about how similar it was to various Dean covers (the floating islands in particular).

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Iucounu posted:

This has actually been in the works since just after the film came out. I don't blame him, while watching the movie I repeatedly though about how similar it was to various Dean covers (the floating islands in particular).

Yeah, I remember hearing about it then too, but didn't know anything came of it. These are the paintings in question:

There are definitely similarities, but I don't think he can prove that they out and out copied his paintings. His floating islands look very different from the ones in Avatar, and I'm not sure he can claim ownership over the idea of depicting floating islands and arched stone pillars.

Still, I do wish him luck. I'm a fan of Roger Dean and have his posters all over my room. I think he deserves some acknowledgement though since they were very likely inspired by his paintings. I don't think you should be forced to pay someone damages because they inspired you though. But if they don't acknowledge the inspiration of the original artist, then maybe some compensation is in order. But not 50 million.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 8, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

The dragons are remarkably similar too.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo, Haken's The Mountain is an incredible album. Definitely one of my favourites of the year.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

JAMOOOL posted:

If you're looking for crazy gonzo-jazz, maybe Magma?

well chrome hoof has a new album out this year and it's a goody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBRPJQxyov8

cuneiform is putting out some good rear end records this year

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sauska posted:

well chrome hoof has a new album out this year and it's a goody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBRPJQxyov8

cuneiform is putting out some good rear end records this year

This is cool as hell. Much more heavy than I had expected from the description.

edit: I bought the album, it's a fun time. loving Jeff Walker of Carcass pops up in one of the songs, what a pleasant surprise.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 15, 2013

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
Desolation Rose, the new album from The Flower Kings comes out on the 29th. Although it has already leaked out on the internets. Here's one song I know of available for streaming http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/10/26/exclusive-stream-the-flower-kings-white-tuxedos-from-desolation-rose-2013/
I have listened to the whole album and I think it's really great, better than their last few. I'm still listening to the bonus disc of material but it sounds alright, too.
I've been a fan going on thirteen years now. They're one of my favorites of the new wave of prog bands of the last couple decades.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

teen bear posted:

I'm guessing you've heard M.D.K. but I always thought the best intro to their sound was Wurdah Itah, or perhaps Hhai/Live.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hey, just added Larks' Tongues in Aspic to my Crimson collection. I don't know why I ever disliked the songs, preferring the live versions. Maybe my taste has matured a bit more. Now if I can only learn to appreciate the first two Gentle Giant albums I'll finally have some new music to listen to.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Larks' Tongues is great, but The Talking Drum is really too much of nothing and kills my interest. It's like Moonchild but less interesting. I'm not really keen on the vocalist from LTIA-Red either :( I wish they'd been able to keep Boz Burrell for longer than 1 album.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh good, I knew there was nothing wrong with me in disliking The Talking Drum. You mean John Wetton? I love him. Not quite so good as Adrian Belew, but I think his singing suits the style of music very well, especially in songs like Easy Money.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Octy posted:

Oh good, I knew there was nothing wrong with me in disliking The Talking Drum. You mean John Wetton? I love him. Not quite so good as Adrian Belew, but I think his singing suits the style of music very well, especially in songs like Easy Money.

I agree that he works on some tracks, but like, he completely ruins Starless for me which is a shame because everyone else seems to think that's their best song. Can't compare to Boz :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUQ6aRwFGRs

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

John Wetton always felt like a shittier Greg Lake to me in terms of singing. Guy's a crazy good bassist though.

Boz was awesome though, Like if he could of sang and Wetton could of just been on bass that would be amazing.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Personperson14 posted:

John Wetton always felt like a shittier Greg Lake to me in terms of singing. Guy's a crazy good bassist though.

Boz was awesome though, Like if he could of sang and Wetton could of just been on bass that would be amazing.

John Wetton sounded like a 50 year old Greg Lake in the 70s. But unlike Lake, his voice improved with age.

Speaking of Greg Lake, I just stumbled upon this great talk he gave on the Moody Blues Cruise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MggmyX9Yfmg

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 4, 2013

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaDfQxD4tYM

Lake sounds so much like Wetton here.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
On page 33 I mentioned I wasn't totally digging the new Haken.

For the past week I have not been able to stop listening to it because it's so good.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys.

edit: also I really like the new Flower Kings.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 8, 2013

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

david puddy posted:

I wish they'd been able to keep Boz Burrell for longer than 1 album.

Boz wouldn't have stayed for any longer than he did. He said in an interview for VH1 Behind The Music: Bad Company that Crimson's lyrics were lovely and pissed him off, and he disliked being in a band with such lyrics. But, if that weren't the case, having Boz sing and Wetton play bass would have been so incredible!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Prog Doctor posted:

Boz wouldn't have stayed for any longer than he did. He said in an interview for VH1 Behind The Music: Bad Company that Crimson's lyrics were lovely and pissed him off, and he disliked being in a band with such lyrics. But, if that weren't the case, having Boz sing and Wetton play bass would have been so incredible!

That just frustrates me more because after Islands they booted Peter Sinfield out :argh:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I checked out both the first Yes album and their latest, the results were interesting. I really like their first album...it's a bit more aggressive than their usual fare, which I like. It also seems to feature more jamming and improv than I'm used to hearing from them.

Their most recent album, Fly From Here, was not bad - it's kind of...different. It doesn't really sound like a Yes album to my ears. The style is more like, I don't know, Marillion or Big Big Train. The songs are ok, it's just not what one would expect from a Yes album.

I also checked out two Utopia albums, "Ra" and "Oops! Wrong Planet." Ra is really quite good, the whole album explores some cool musical themes. Although there's a bit of forced comedy in the form of an irishman with a sped-up voice pretending to be a leprechaun or a fairy or something. "Oops! Wrong Planet" is also good, but it's much more pop and rock-oriented. It's still good, but don't get it expecting 12-minute prog excursions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
The new Ayreon album (Theory of Everything) is too concepty for me, I guess. Technically it's solid, but I'm not a fan of the whole sung dialog form that the songs take. I couldn't really get into The Human Equation for the same reason.

Still, most of Universal Migrator (I've trimmed out most of the middle tracks on Disc 1) and 01011001 (trimming out two tracks on Disk 1) remain at the top of my work playlist. I know they're concept albums and the tracks I excised are there for a reason (story-wise), but the album flows a lot better without them.

It took me more than a few listens to conclude that the female vocalist in 01011001 sounds a lot like the female vocalist in the Devin Townsend Project because they are the same person. She's dutch, makes sense.

Since I was dissappointed by Ayreon's new album I decided to check out some of Arjen's other projects, and I discovered Star One's album titled "Space Metal". This is a loving awesome album. I don't know that I've ever described music as "fun" before, but this poo poo is pure fun. Corny sci-fi metal tracks that are each based on a sci-fi series or movie. Amazing. From there, I checked out Star One's second album "Victims of a Modern Age" which is the same concept and just as great.

What the hell. Why is sci-fi based prog metal so awesome. Bolded for the skimmers, seriously check out Star One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QH4Xe5G3s

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 9, 2013