Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

4d3d3d posted:

I didn't get into Yes until I was in my 20s but I still fall for the sentimental stuff. I think it's Jon Anderson, who is maybe the only guy capable of pulling off music like that. I even love a lot of his solo stuff, a lot of which is really saccharine. I mean, this is all great:

Olias of Sunhillow is one of my favorite albums.

Three Ships is just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Olias is such a great album.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Olias is a masterpiece, and I love it more than any Yes album except Tales and maybe Relayer.

Also I hate that every time I see multiple new posts in the prog thread these days, my immediate thought is "who died now?" :smith:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Earwicker posted:

I agree in that I love some of Yes' and Genesis' actual straight up pop songs as well as some solo Phil Collins tunes. but personally I can't stomach the AWBH stuff, not because it's poppy but because it's just so overwhelmingly saccharine.

I can see being into it if you hear it as a kid though. I have a huge love for a certain Alan Parsons Project album that I feel like has aged really terribly and probably just sound like Bad Music to most people but I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it

The production on ABWH is very...sprightly. Bright. It definitely doesn't sound like a lot of other stuff.

Ammonia Avenue is loving great and I didn't hear it until I was a teenager.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Also I hate that every time I see multiple new posts in the prog thread these days, my immediate thought is "who died now?" :smith:
I'm expecting Carl Palmer to join up his bandmates any month now. It doesn't matter that he seems to be in good health right now.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

As the AV Club puts it, "All 165 Pink Floyd songs have been ranked, now let’s fight about it"

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/all-165-pink-floyd-songs-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html

short version: who the gently caress is this clown?

middle length version: just wait 'til you get to #144 and he starts throwing shade at Tull and Crimson.

long version: maybe later.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

As the AV Club puts it, "All 165 Pink Floyd songs have been ranked, now let’s fight about it"

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/all-165-pink-floyd-songs-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html

short version: who the gently caress is this clown?

middle length version: just wait 'til you get to #144 and he starts throwing shade at Tull and Crimson.

long version: maybe later.

I pretty much agree with him! Other than occasionally listening to songs from Piper and Meddle I have almost zero interest in listening to Pink Floyd ever, and they were my favorite band when I was 15. I might like Saucerful of Secrets a little more than him, and The Wall a lot less.

And Passion Play is a terrible album, he's right about that too.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Pink floyd is really astoundingly bad and its incredible that they've become a rock solid part of the rock music canon or whatever

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

A human heart posted:

Pink floyd is really astoundingly bad and its incredible that they've become a rock solid part of the rock music canon or whatever

They run the gamut from terribly amateurish to terribly over-wrought, with very little in between. I guess that's kinda cool in a way. I do like a lot of the Syd Barret stuff though.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I could live without most of their discography but you'll pry this copy of Animals, played hundreds of times, from my cold dead hands

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

quote:

Waters’s sense of subtlety is disappearing by the minute, and there are a lot of minutes here. “Meek and obedient / You follow the leader.” (We get it, Rog. The song is called “Sheep,” for chrissakes.)

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I like all of it except the last 3 albums.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

4d3d3d posted:

I've been cranking ABWH in the car for the last week and I'm still convinced that it's direly underrated. It's cheesy but there are some transcendent moments like "Brother of Mine," especially the last few minutes, and one of my favorite tracks ever, "Order of the Universe" which just kicks all kinds of rear end throughout. It just seems like everything is turned way up, especially Rick Wakeman's insane but catchy keyboard flourishes. The only flaw is that the single version of "I'm Alive" isn't on there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chvgiqobqYc
Am I a big sentimental dope for liking this?

No. I feel the same way. ABWH has some incredibly big 80s cheese moments, but it's it's the kind of cheese I love to eat. I missed the ABWH tour, but it was around that time that I first got into Yes, because my older sister's boyfriend saw them at Jones Beach that year and bought her some of their CDs. Yessongs hooked me forever. For decades I wish I saw that concert. Well, with the magic of youtube I did indeed eventually get to see it:
https://youtu.be/WShedlLNndk?list=PLB19Uwuurs0v_CJ2xRuN-okH4QLm7PBdo

I had seen the "An Evening of Yes Music Plus" DVD many times, but this was a real treat, because I had not seen a concert with Tony Levin playing with the band. He's always fun to watch. It was an underrated band. You should also check out the lost ABWH SARM/Perfect Union demos. This was essentially the stuff that would have been on the second album had they not turned it into Union. Some really cool stuff. You can tell why they were so upset with the way Union turned out. A lot of cool jams were butchered, for example the faded out jam at the end of I would Waited Forever. I think they planned on it being a 10 minute mini-epic a la "brother of mine" but the producer was trying to shorten it into some sort of ridiculous 6 minute single. Not sure what he was thinking.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 5, 2017

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

A human heart posted:

I still like Pink Floyd, though I admit along with Led Zeppelin, they're one of the two bands I binged through voraciously in junior high school that I revisit the least nowadays. I've probably revisited Floyd a bit more often than Zeppelin, but nowadays I think find myself drawn more towards Led Zeppelin again. Interestingly enough, The Beatles, which is one of the first bands I got into when I was 10 years old, I still revisit regularly. I guess it depends on my mood. Pink Floyd I find drawn to during my darker periods, which, thankfully I haven't been in in awhile, but I do find them tedious when I'm trying to be optimistic. Zeppelin is just a fun romp so I enjoy them more now. The Beatles are great no matter what mood you're in. They ran the gamut.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 6, 2017

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I pretty much agree with him! Other than occasionally listening to songs from Piper and Meddle I have almost zero interest in listening to Pink Floyd ever, and they were my favorite band when I was 15. I might like Saucerful of Secrets a little more than him, and The Wall a lot less.

And Passion Play is a terrible album, he's right about that too.

Meddle has always been my favorite Pink Floyd album, but I always felt that Saucerful>Piper. Every so often I get into the Piper mood though.

As far as Passion Play goes, at first I didn't like it either, but it has grown on me considerably over the years, now I listen to it quite often, especially after the Steven Wilson remixed deluxe edition came out. I still can't say it's anything great. It was repetitive and it does drag in places, but it does have a weird energy to it. I think the band had reached a technical proficiency musically to make anything sound cool and Anderson was starting to take some risks in weird directions. Definitely not as good as Thick as a Brick, but a fun tangent nonetheless.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Hi from TOAPP 2017!

https://imgur.com/a/uFexU

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 8, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Have they announced the next reissue in the King Crimson 40th Anniversary Series?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Fun at Camp (I think you can see this)

"Breathless", Fripp. TL on bass

Rats no. One sec. Now?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212507661299355&id=1017396071

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 16, 2017

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

Rust Martialis posted:

Fun at Camp (I think you can see this)

"Breathless", Fripp. TL on bass

Rats no. One sec. Now?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10212507661299355&id=1017396071

The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Is what I get

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Steven Wilson has an album coming out on the 18th, and if this song is any indication, it seems like he is taking a departure from his moody brooding. I like this Steven Wilson. I really, really hope the whole album is like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gryiltJo0

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Myrmidongs posted:

Steven Wilson has an album coming out on the 18th, and if this song is any indication, it seems like he is taking a departure from his moody brooding. I like this Steven Wilson. I really, really hope the whole album is like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gryiltJo0
He worked with Paul Stacey as co-producer on this album, who's probably best-known for his work with Oasis. Based on what I've heard about the sessions, Wilson kept trying to fall back into his comfort zone, and Stacey kept making him snap out of it and 180 from what he was trying to do. It's really interesting dynamic. This one's getting very mixed reviews from critics, so I'm stepping into it rather cautiously; I get the feeling this is the kind of album that's going to be a lot more fun to listen to if you only have a passing familiarity with the work of Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, etc. than if you really understand all the places Wilson is drawing from. But I was born in 1985, so that's halfway me!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm a grumpy prog nerd :( Wilson's new album doesn't mean anything good to me. I think the new track is terrible. I mean it's his right to branch out and follow his influences and do what he wants, but I don't think I'll be following. I'll be relistening to Grace for Drowning...

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
For all of your new prog-metal needs:

New Leprous is weird: more rock-ish and less metal-ish. Not sure how I feel about it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk63FcCIw9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4gwOMrJiQ

New Caligula's Horse sounds good, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QJlFdFquiY

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

This is a bit of "Help me identify a song" but I'm trying to remember this American prog rock album called 'The Icon' (or at least I think that's the name of it). I can't remember when it was released, but I think it was either the 70's or 80's. Maybe some of your prog rock vets know of it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm never much for PTree on the regular, and I'm not super-enthused by the Wilson single linked above, but the album's got Andy Partridge writing two songs (fantastic) and the strings are arranged by one of my favorite little-known prog guys, Dave Stewart, the keyb guy for Arzachel and Egg. I'm inclined to give it a listen.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Album is great so far. Permanating really, really grew on me.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

It's really poppy and straightforward relative to Grace For Drowning or Hand Cannot Erase, but I really dig it.
He probably needs to stop doing the falsetto though...

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

SW doesn't have the voice for this kind of music. That falsetto is terrible.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Iucounu posted:

Steven Wilson would just be a way better singer in general if he would just pop a Claritin D once in awhile

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Iucounu posted:

Like how did he produce and edit this for hours and not once spot how wacked it sounds :(

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not his best album, but I like it and there's some solid tracks on there, particularly 'Refuge' and 'The People Who Eat Darkness'. Personally I don't hate the falsetto and he's humble enough to have talked about how he's not very confident with it yet, so I'll let him off.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

David Singleton is spilling some real T on the Krimson/Belew beef that's been bubbling up...

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/RF_diary_2017_August_22

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't really get Belew's attitude to be honest - as the letter points out, didn't he himself sing plenty of Sinfield or Palmer-Jones penned lyrics and Lake or Wetton crafted melodies during his years touring with KC? why should he be treated differently than any previous KC vocalist or lyricist?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I don't really get Belew's attitude to be honest - as the letter points out, didn't he himself sing plenty of Sinfield or Palmer-Jones penned lyrics and Lake or Wetton crafted melodies during his years touring with KC? why should he be treated differently than any previous KC vocalist or lyricist?

While the 1981 lineup was founded on an 'everyone contributes' basis, my understanding is that Adrian wrote quite a lot of the music himself and basically all the lyrics. Over the years, this has been acknowledged as 'unfair to Adrian', but it never got to the level that it trainwrecked things. Well, now it has.

Nobody's happy about this, nobody's winning anything here. I really wish this had all been dealt with privately. Beyond that I'm keeping my mouth shut as I know almost everyone involved to a greater or lesser extent.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Seeing Stick Men tonight and Haken tomorrow, what a great way to end the week.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Colonel J posted:

Seeing Stick Men tonight and Haken tomorrow, what a great way to end the week.

Tell Markus "Someone from camp said to say 'It is crap'" please.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

gently caress. Radio interview with Stewart Copeland and Adrian Belew about Gizmodrome. Topic wandered to include KC.

https://youtu.be/eEJfIRkaZBg

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

gently caress. Radio interview with Stewart Copeland and Adrian Belew about Gizmodrome. Topic wandered to include KC.

https://youtu.be/eEJfIRkaZBg

Funny seeing Norton and Sam kiss up to Copeland after making GBS threads on him and Sting for all those years on O&A.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gianthogweed posted:

Funny seeing Norton and Sam kiss up to Copeland after making GBS threads on him and Sting for all those years on O&A.

They get some interesting guests but they're bad interviewers. Like they had talib kweli on a little while ago who was really interesting despite norton asking dumb questions the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

AB & RF talked stuff out. Ade is back in KC but inactive. Margaritas are being quaffed.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10150883829769995&id=6696764994