Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I gave up on Dream Theater after The Astonishing. gently caress that was a poo poo album.
Didn't that come out in the past 5 years? You've got some stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
It came out last year.

Their last few albums weren't very good either, but at least there was always a song or two I liked so they were still worth checking out. The Astonishing was just poo poo from start to finish, not to mention the ridiculous backstory for it.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It came out last year.

Their last few albums weren't very good either, but at least there was always a song or two I liked so they were still worth checking out. The Astonishing was just poo poo from start to finish, not to mention the ridiculous backstory for it.

Yeah, i bailed on the Astonishing. I can’t believe they also toured that album in full

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Astonishing is the funniest poo poo ever and it’s fun to follow DT on Facebook because they keep making books and video games based on it. The comments are a mix of moron nerds who eat it up and really angry fans calling the album garbage and an embarrassment.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When I torrented the album before its release to check if I want to pay money for it, the torrent's name was rear end-Tarnishing. How true that name was.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I actually quite liked A Dramatic Turn of Events and thought that maybe kicking Portnoy out was what the band needed to turn themselves around, but then they released The Astonishing and proved me very wrong. Haken have basically taken over their spot in my music rotation anyway, so I'm not even that bothered.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Has there ever been a consistent prog bad, except those one off bands from the 70s that made one album like Island?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Has there ever been a consistent prog bad, except those one off bands from the 70s that made one album like Island?

Depends on how long of a consistency streak you're looking for, I'd say

e: oh wait, you said

Gong.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
What Gong is good I'll fight you. Especially Camembert Electrique, solid album. I prefer it far more than their jammier later stuff.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The album they did with Alan Holdsworth was good (and I would never have known about it if not for GTA V, admittedly).

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Haken have so far improved with every release, and they were pretty good to start.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Porcupine Tree were consistently good. Steven Wilson solo is consistently good. Not every album is a masterpiece but I wouldn’t say any of them are bad.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Re: Dream Theater, Portnoy had a really great style that pushed that band and provided a lot of energy to the sound. Like he was consistently just a hair ahead of the beat. Mangini feels lifeless in comparison.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Iucounu posted:

Re: Dream Theater, Portnoy had a really great style that pushed that band and provided a lot of energy to the sound. Like he was consistently just a hair ahead of the beat. Mangini feels lifeless in comparison.

He's also simply much more boring to look at live compared to Portnoy.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Gentle Giant seemed to have a good run. I don't have all of their albums, though - did they ever make a bad one?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Henry Cow never released a bad album.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So a while back I was hunting for an old album called "The Icon" and I found it.

I misremembered. A song on the album is called "The Ikon", it's not the album name.

It's not a bad find either. It's a pretty solid prog rock album with a hard rock edge. It's a lot of fun!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Gentle Giant seemed to have a good run. I don't have all of their albums, though - did they ever make a bad one?

Going by RYM ratings they tapered off after Free Hand but they still opened their career with 7 classics in a row

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

DoubleCakes posted:

So a while back I was hunting for an old album called "The Icon" and I found it.

I misremembered. A song on the album is called "The Ikon", it's not the album name.

It's not a bad find either. It's a pretty solid prog rock album with a hard rock edge. It's a lot of fun!

Their album "Ra" is also very good, although the last song has the voice of a fairy being played by a sped-up Irishman. Whether that's a pro or a con, I'll leave up to you.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I would argue that Magma have never had a bad album, but a lot of people would disagree with me about Merci.

Seventh Arrow posted:

The Missing Piece and Civilian are pretty bad, Giant for a Day is wretched. Interview is a masterpiece that has picked up an undeserved reputation as a bad album, and I cannot pass up an opportunity to evangelize about it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 23, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There's no bad rush album. They're all so great

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Counterpoint: Caress of Steel. (Rush is really drat good past that album, though).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pointercount: Caress of Steel would be great if they had a couple different songs to swap in for Lakeside Park and I Think I'm Going Bald and then tightened up the two long tunes a bit. The good parts of Fountain and Necromancer and all of Bastille Day make that record way better than you probably remember.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

NuclearPotato posted:

Counterpoint: Caress of Steel. (Rush is really drat good past that album, though).

Yeah, this is the one rush album I pretty much don’t have in my massive rush playlist. It just never connected with me like the ones following it..

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Ahhh Magma live in a couple of days, stoked as hell. Skipped the last time they came to Finland in early 00s and been kicking myself since, and figure this time I'll certainly make it with Vander pushing close to 70 anyway. Been binging on the albums for the past week, had forgotten how good Köhntarkösz was.

(Shoutout to Koenjihyakkei mention a page back.)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

hexwren posted:

Pointercount: Caress of Steel would be great if they had a couple different songs to swap in for Lakeside Park and I Think I'm Going Bald and then tightened up the two long tunes a bit. The good parts of Fountain and Necromancer and all of Bastille Day make that record way better than you probably remember.

Bastille Day I’ll give you; that’s easily one of my favorites from the pre-2112 records. Don’t care much for the big epics on CoF at all though, certainly not compared to the epics to come.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

Truth, although lakeside park is a really good song. That last bit of the necromancer is particularly gnarly.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 24, 2017

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I discovered Virgil Donati's album In This Life recently, and I think it's amazing. It's among the most Ron Jarzombek-y music I've heard so far, of which I find there is truly not enough.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So... Cardiacs Sing To God. Is that progressive rock? Progressive punk? I can't wrap my head around it but it feels like prog rock.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I first found out about Cardiacs years ago on Progressive Ears, if that means anything. Whatever you want to call them, they're incredible.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Cymbal Monkey posted:

every shadow gallery album but maybe the first one has been really good.

i've just acquired steven wilson's to the bone. seems good though not as superlative as hand. cannot. erase. which i had on repeat for about a month.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Steven Wilson - Drive Home (Lounge version)

https://youtu.be/cKYlI9lBhn4

From Nick Beggs' FB.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I really like the new Steven Wilson album. There are a bunch of individual elements that would sound cheesy on their own, but they somehow come together to make something fantastic. It does continue the trend of mixing OK lyrics with some really awful ones though - "I'm sick of facebook" and "I'll make them pay/with an IED" stood out on my first listen. It manages to bring in a bunch of 80s pop influences while still sounding original though, and I found it a really entertaining album. Song of I makes me wonder what a Steven Wilson/Trent Reznor collab would sound like.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also there's the questionable wisdom of naming your album "To the Bone" while the cover features you naked and looking at your dick.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

No that's probably the single most awesome thing Steven Wilson has ever done

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

i hadn't thought about that. cool.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

I really like the new Steven Wilson album. There are a bunch of individual elements that would sound cheesy on their own, but they somehow come together to make something fantastic. It does continue the trend of mixing OK lyrics with some really awful ones though - "I'm sick of facebook" and "I'll make them pay/with an IED" stood out on my first listen. It manages to bring in a bunch of 80s pop influences while still sounding original though, and I found it a really entertaining album. Song of I makes me wonder what a Steven Wilson/Trent Reznor collab would sound like.

I've wondered why Wilson's lyrics are so hit and miss. It seems like he just goes with the first draft all the time, which is weird since he seems very meticulous about the rest the elements of his music.
Reznor and Wilson would rock, or just be Bass Communion.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I've wondered why Wilson's lyrics are so hit and miss. It seems like he just goes with the first draft all the time, which is weird since he seems very meticulous about the rest the elements of his music.
Reznor and Wilson would rock, or just be Bass Communion.
Wilson gets annoyed by certain concepts and shoehorns them into his music. It's like the whole fear/love rant in Donnie Darko. Remember the "a song comes onto my iPod" in "Way Out of Here" that's supposed to represent music being used as a vapid distraction?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Nearly all of Wilson’s goofy lyrics are him ranting about technology in one form or another. It’s infrequent enough to not be a problem for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

SW lyrics are always at least passable, but one bad line that sticks in my craw from the new album is "all your chickens are coming home to roost". It's from an otherwise fantastic song but the way all the instruments drop out I sit there contemplating it and end up thinking about a giant chicken. :shrug: