Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Hello from Three of a Perfect Pair 2018!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I’ve seen Steven Wilson twice. Once on the Hand. Cannot. Erase. tour and once on the To the Bone tour. The HCE show was one of the best I’ve ever seen. The TTB was lackluster for me, mainly because I don’t enjoy that album very much but also because SW was weirdly defensive and preachy during the show. Fan reaction to the new album has been mixed to he was basically telling everyone they should like it in between songs. It was really awkward and uncomfortable.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Was thinking about seeing him here in houston but like some people here im more of a PT fan than Steven Wilson fan. I kind of owe it to him though after years of pirating his albums.. lol.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i was under 18 last time porcupine tree came here :negative: so i had to settle for the raven that refused to sing tour. i thought insurgentes was awesome, grace for drowning was bad and raven was pretty good. hand cannot erase and to the bone i have barely listened to so cannot offer opinions on

edit: pineapple thief are the only prog band i really follow anymore and they are great these days with gavin harrison joining them

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 14, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Astrochicken posted:

Was thinking about seeing him here in houston but like some people here im more of a PT fan than Steven Wilson fan. I kind of owe it to him though after years of pirating his albums.. lol.
SW usually sneaks a couple of Porcupine Tree tunes into his setlists and Arriving Somewhere has shown up in more than a few this year

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

strap on revenge posted:

i was under 18 last time porcupine tree came here :negative: so i had to settle for the raven that refused to sing tour. i thought insurgentes was awesome, grace for drowning was bad and raven was pretty good. hand cannot erase and to the bone i have barely listened to so cannot offer opinions on

edit: pineapple thief are the only prog band i really follow anymore and they are great these days with gavin harrison joining them

I feel like you should check out Caligula's Horse based on those opinions.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

strap on revenge posted:

pretty much how i feel. Insurgentes is incredible. I think PT/SW production-wise err on the side of sounding too airy fairy in a way, even when if it's heavy, but that album crashes and bangs and broods. It's fantastic.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

SW usually sneaks a couple of Porcupine Tree tunes into his setlists and Arriving Somewhere has shown up in more than a few this year

I saw his first solo tour after Grace of Drowning and he specifically asked people not to request PT songs. I think now that he has a bigger catalouge and more confidence in his solo work he probably doesn't mind bringing out the old classics now and then.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

I saw his first solo tour after Grace of Drowning and he specifically asked people not to request PT songs. I think now that he has a bigger catalouge and more confidence in his solo work he probably doesn't mind bringing out the old classics now and then.
Plus, he'd been playing that whole catalogue on the regular for 20+ years at that point. I remember by the time Fear of a Blank Planet came around he was so tired of playing "Trains" that he had developed a visible eye twitch around the song.

In one of their last tours, the one where PT played Radio City, they broke out a bunch of really old stuff like "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Dislocated Day" and played none of the songs he hated, and that was basically the writing on the wall for the band as far as I was concerned

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What are the Porcupine Tree songs Steven Wilson hates?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Trains, as mentioned due to the amount of times he had to play it. Blackest Eyes also seemed to get a bit of hate; I remember listening to a bootleg from The Incident tour where Steven sounded super checked out before starting the song.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Vulture Culture posted:

Plus, he'd been playing that whole catalogue on the regular for 20+ years at that point. I remember by the time Fear of a Blank Planet came around he was so tired of playing "Trains" that he had developed a visible eye twitch around the song.

In one of their last tours, the one where PT played Radio City, they broke out a bunch of really old stuff like "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Dislocated Day" and played none of the songs he hated, and that was basically the writing on the wall for the band as far as I was concerned

I always preferred the older PT stuff like on Sky Moves Sideways over the stuff on In Absentia and Deadwing so I was glad when they did this. I get that they had to make In Absentia and go that more commercial route in order to get more mainstream success. Don't get me wrong it was still quite progressive and the production was better than anything they did before. But it had a bit too much of that late 90s/early 2000s brit-poppy sound that was everywhere by that point. I could almost hear them breaking out into Wonderwall or something. SW seems to have very similar taste in music that I do so I have a feeling he feels the same way about that period of PT.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Camp ended. Hopefully another next year.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s in Woodstock right?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

That’s in Woodstock right?

Bit west of it but yeah.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rust Martialis posted:

Bit west of it but yeah.

Nice up there this time of year.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Nice up there this time of year.

Rained a lot but I got to play on jams with Pat and Tony, so...

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I urge you all to check out Smote Reverser by Oh Sees. It has a really proggy sound to it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

The new Pineapple Thief album is out and is an improvement on Your Wilderness, which was already pretty decent

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

My wife caught my 3 year old singing Queensryche's "Eyes of a Stranger" before and now I'm in trouble for letting her listen to Operation: Mindcrime :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

My wife caught my 3 year old singing Queensryche's "Eyes of a Stranger" before and now I'm in trouble for letting her listen to Operation: Mindcrime :(

you should be

that album is terrible

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Phideaux's Infernal just leaked and I'm kinda conflicted. It's good (ish...), but doesn't reach the heights of his earlier work like basically every album starting from Fiendish. That was just a murderer's row of good rear end albums and it can't be easy to have to follow those up after basically a decade of hype. This feels bloated and.....boring? Like the songwriting is serving the story and concepts instead of the concepts serving the songwriting. Not many memorable tracks and it all kinda blended together. Unlike the other albums, there are no tracks here where I'm like "I can't wait to put this on constant rotation because drat, Son." which is a first. All the callbacks to previous albums just reminded me of how much better those were. The preview songs from the EP were good choices as those are probably the most memorable and closest in quality to the older material.

The first guy to review it, a Youtuber who reviews prog releases, basically danced around the fact that it was a weaker effort by calling it a "Grower". He was also close friends with Phideaux and probably didn't want to ruffle feathers with a bad review. I'll stick with it as I'm really just loving stoked to finally have this thing after so long and maybe I'll grow to like it but Fiendish through Snowtorch definitely didn't require extra mental cooking like that. It'll be interesting to see what other reviewers in the scene think, especially the user reviews on ProgArchives, which I think are surprisingly pretty solid, honest, and align closely to my own opinions (usually). Maybe it's the apocalyptic subject-matter. Less melody and more dissonance and chaos which is a different sound from what made me a fan originally, unfortunately.

6.9/10 for me. I'm a bit disappointed, but happy he's making music again. Man, I really just wanted another Number 7 tho.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 3, 2018

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
New Haken single. Not making any huge impression on me yet, but we'll see what the album brings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD3v8w57_lU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Incoherence posted:

New Haken single. Not making any huge impression on me yet, but we'll see what the album brings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD3v8w57_lU
Maybe a touch more Coheed and Cambria approach to the chorus than I'm used to, but it sounds like Haken to me

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is it just me or more and more bands start to sound like Leprous?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Is it just me or more and more bands start to sound like Leprous?
Sort of, but it's largely an effect of Jens Bogren being behind the board. I picked out that guitar sound the second "Initiate" came on Affinity.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

Sort of, but it's largely an effect of Jens Bogren being behind the board. I picked out that guitar sound the second "Initiate" came on Affinity.

Hm, that might be it. There is definitely something about mixing that gives off that vibe, but I also think djent-ish (or post-hardcore/mathcore depending on where you stand on the issue of nomenclature) riffs are getting more popular in general.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
If any of y'all are ELP fans I highly recommend the album called The Rules Have Changed by 3.2. it's a follow up to the kinda lovely album To the Power of Three released by Emerson, Palmer, and Robert Berry in 1988, though Palmer isn't involved and Emerson died halfway through the sessions, and his estate wouldn't let Berry use the recordings so he wound up having to literally do it all himself. Despite all this, it is actually a surprisingly strong album that captures Emerson's style better than Keith himself has these past 40 years. And I say this as someone who did not really like the first 3 album at all.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Hm, that might be it. There is definitely something about mixing that gives off that vibe, but I also think djent-ish (or post-hardcore/mathcore depending on where you stand on the issue of nomenclature) riffs are getting more popular in general.
Nomenclature on that kind of riffing is something I have a really hard time with, because I think it started in prog/power and found its way over to djent/post-mathcore/butt music later. It picked up around 2003-2005 when Nevermore were doing Enemies of Reality and This Godless Endeavor before the Tosin Abasi-style riffing really became synonymous with that style (before I think djent became a thing outside of Meshuggah fan circles), but Mark Briody inexplicably picked it up on a few tracks of Jag Panzer's Casting the Stones ("Tempest", "Feast or Famine"). By a few years ago it was the default riffing style on Symphony X's Underworld.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 5, 2018

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

If any of y'all are ELP fans I highly recommend the album called The Rules Have Changed by 3.2. it's a follow up to the kinda lovely album To the Power of Three released by Emerson, Palmer, and Robert Berry in 1988, though Palmer isn't involved and Emerson died halfway through the sessions, and his estate wouldn't let Berry use the recordings so he wound up having to literally do it all himself. Despite all this, it is actually a surprisingly strong album that captures Emerson's style better than Keith himself has these past 40 years. And I say this as someone who did not really like the first 3 album at all.

Thanks ill be sure to check it out

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Dishwasher posted:

Phideaux's Infernal just leaked and I'm kinda conflicted. It's good (ish...), but doesn't reach the heights of his earlier work like basically every album starting from Fiendish. That was just a murderer's row of good rear end albums and it can't be easy to have to follow those up after basically a decade of hype. This feels bloated and.....boring? Like the songwriting is serving the story and concepts instead of the concepts serving the songwriting. Not many memorable tracks and it all kinda blended together. Unlike the other albums, there are no tracks here where I'm like "I can't wait to put this on constant rotation because drat, Son." which is a first. All the callbacks to previous albums just reminded me of how much better those were. The preview songs from the EP were good choices as those are probably the most memorable and closest in quality to the older material.

The first guy to review it, a Youtuber who reviews prog releases, basically danced around the fact that it was a weaker effort by calling it a "Grower". He was also close friends with Phideaux and probably didn't want to ruffle feathers with a bad review. I'll stick with it as I'm really just loving stoked to finally have this thing after so long and maybe I'll grow to like it but Fiendish through Snowtorch definitely didn't require extra mental cooking like that. It'll be interesting to see what other reviewers in the scene think, especially the user reviews on ProgArchives, which I think are surprisingly pretty solid, honest, and align closely to my own opinions (usually). Maybe it's the apocalyptic subject-matter. Less melody and more dissonance and chaos which is a different sound from what made me a fan originally, unfortunately.

6.9/10 for me. I'm a bit disappointed, but happy he's making music again. Man, I really just wanted another Number 7 tho.
I'm having similar anticlimax feelings after buying it and listening through a couple days ago but right now I'm reconciling that by reminding myself that there's no way it ever could have satisfied five plus years of undiminished hype (closer to ten if you count the first time I listened to Doomsday Afternoon and found out it was the middle album of a trilogy...)

Today I've been listening to it a bit more and I think I'm beginning to "get it". It's somewhere between Great Leap and Doomsday in terms of vibe/bombast/production style and I kinda dig it. Also I am super here for all the callbacks to both albums, I got giddy when I realised Inquisitor was a sort of reinterpretation of Thank You For the Evil.

Specific tracks I've found myself drawn to for repeat listens: Inquisitor, The Walker, C99, From Hydrogen To Love. Also all the songs that were on the EP are nice.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Vulture Culture posted:

Nomenclature on that kind of riffing is something I have a really hard time with, because I think it started in prog/power and found its way over to djent/post-mathcore/butt music later. It picked up around 2003-2005 when Nevermore were doing Enemies of Reality and This Godless Endeavor before the Tosin Abasi-style riffing really became synonymous with that style (before I think djent became a thing outside of Meshuggah fan circles), but Mark Briody inexplicably picked it up on a few tracks of Jag Panzer's Casting the Stones ("Tempest", "Feast or Famine"). By a few years ago it was the default riffing style on Symphony X's Underworld.

It's interesting that it touched American power, too. European power metal has been veering closer to prog since late 90s/early 2000s. Although now the trend seems to have been reverted.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think I'm on my third run-through of Infernal now and while I agree with the general consensus, I'm starting to think "grower" was not a euphemism.

It definitely doesn't have the high highs that many of the other albums have, but there aren't yet any songs that I dislike or want to skip past, either.

It's clearly a love letter to all of their previous albums. I haven't written anything down, but there are numerous lyrical and musical nods crammed into the album that complement it without feeling derivative.

I also like some of the oddball things they did with voices and layering. Good album for good headphones.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

hexwren posted:

you should be

that album is terrible

oh come on, uneven I'd give you but terrible? I Don't Believe in Love and Eyes of a Stranger disqualify it from that immediately

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

oh come on, uneven I'd give you but terrible? I Don't Believe in Love and Eyes of a Stranger disqualify it from that immediately

If you don’t like butt rock it’s not that great.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Queensryche is insanely bad

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Q2k is an underrated masterpiece

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Queensryche became insanely bad, but Operation: Mindcrime, though barely more prog than mid-80s Iron Maiden, is a really good metal album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Every time I see people complain about fake news I think “I used to trust the MEDIA to tell me the truuuuuuuuth”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
When I was younger and getting into prog metal, I revered Dream Theater. Queensryche were always mentioned along them, but 15 years later I still dont get why. They're so awful.