Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Also glad I found this thread.

For someone wanting to know what to buy after "In The Court of the Crimson King", buy "In the Wake of Poseidon". Instead of the rehash that some say it is, I see it as part 2. Court is about war, Wake is about peace. Some even prefer it to Court, but I say they both go together nicely, and is the last thing Greg Lake sings on. There will be a new reissue this fall with a 5.1 mix.

My biggest problem with prog rock is the new stuff. I just can't get into bands like Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, etc. I just agree with Bill Bruford: the pioneers come along and invent the stuff by not really having any boundaries. Then when the genre is named, you have all these boundaries and everything just sounds like an overproduced rehash of whats come before that is not as interesting. Radiohead and The Flaming Lips I would give a pass to because they have other influences (if you are to call them prog). And most modern prog metal and symphonic stuff just sounds silly, not to mention the "Legend of the Seeker" outfits they tend to wear on stage. If you don't know what I mean, pick up a copy of Classic Rock magazine's Prog issues. Its really ridiculous.

Also, back when he released his solo album on Fripp's label (around 1999), John Paul Jones said it was fine to call Zeppelin prog.

Anyone listen to any Rock In Opposition like Henry Cow and Art Bears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

Dishwasher posted:

A prog thread? I thought I was the only one who realized this board was missing one!

This is pretty much my favorite genre of music. If you guys really want to delve deep into the genre head to Progarchives.com. Its basically a massive archive of every single prog album ever made with reviews as well as mp3s to listen to and sample. Its become one of the main sources for new music.

Overproduction and ridiculousness is what makes prog so great. That just means they're trying harder to make awesome music. And if anything, modern prog is cool because its taking the older influences and adding modern touches to them. Its not the 1970s anymore and I can't listen to old school Genesis and Yes all the time. And a prog thread without mention of Transatlantic? For shame guys.

I don't listen to Genesis and Yes all the time. When I listen to newer bands, I don't listen to those modern prog bands that I listed before. However, you totally missed what I am talking about.

As for the King Crimson remasters, I have the 3 that are out now, and they sound fantastic. Steve Wilson did an excellent job, and the surround sound is mind blowing. Get them, and get a player that plays DVD-As.
Its not the pomposity, its the sterility of the recordings of modern prog bands that I hate. Its like everyone nowadays tends to have that cold crunchy Momentary Lapse of Reason/Division Bell/Talk/Union production. Its a very clinical production and playing style that sounds like Berklee College of Music students trying to play on crappy equipment. I like mellotrons, not those awful samplers. If you listen to Rick Wakeman play Close to the Edge on Moogs in the 70s, and say, they synths he used on Keys to the Ascension, you will understand what I am talking about. All of the neo prog bands sound like this but without really pushing anything forward.

If those bands were trying harder, like you said, they would be doing something different and actually pushing further...not doing the same thing on newer and worse sounding equipment.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
For Canterbury bands, I really like Camel. Moonmadness is a killer album, and I can see where Air got their influences from. I know the Snow Goose gets all the press, but Moonmadness is just a great chillout album.

Soft Machine is also nice. I used to write off the albums after Robert Wyatt left but I like them more and more now. The stuff right after he left like 5 and 6 are great jazz albums, but getting around 1976 they actually started to sound like Pink Floyd circa Wish You Were Here. There was a song I heard recently that was a lot like Shine On You Crazy Diamond. I know they were friends with the band earlier, but by this point there may have been one original member left.

As for Genesis, I don't draw the line after Peter Gabriel left, but after Steve Hackett left. Not because they went mainstream pop, but because they just don't interest me anymore.

And to anyone who has only heard Porcupine Tree and not King Crimson (specifically 73-84), I can only shake my head. Its like someone being into Green Day and never having heard The Ramones, or more so The Sword and not Black Sabbath. They just wouldn't exist.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Oh dear god...that is just wrong. Its one thing to be influenced by someone, its another thing to just blatantly rip someone off. That cut was "Dogs", thru and thru. I thought it was bad when I heard Tool do "46 and 2" because it was just an angrier version of Crimson's "Frame By Frame" but "Time Flies" is just flat out plagiarism.

And to the guy who thought Keith Emerson was a maniac because of the dagger trick, you must not have even heard about the time he burned the American flag onstage.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
New on new music for King Crimson fans:

There is an album tentatively coming out in April for a new "almost" King Crimson album.

Jakko M. Jakszyk, who was in the 21st Century Schizoid Band (which was made of members of Crimson plus Jakko during the first four ie. Peter Sinfield albums).
Mel Collins (from In The Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, Islands, and 21st Century Schizoid Band)
Robert Fripp
Tony Levin
Gavin Harrizon (Porcupine Tree and the brief 2008 live version of KC)

I also didn't know that Harrison and Jakszyk worked together before Porcupine Tree.

This sounds like a great lineup, but Fripp in his diaries says its not quite King Crimson. It will likely be a Frakctal project. To me, it'll be King Crimson. I have been waiting for a new version for ages. I think the Belew version has worn itself out, and was grateful to have see them in 1995 and 2008, but like the others, I'm ready for something different. Tony Levin on bass will be the only American in this band.

The album will be called "A Scarcity of Miracles", but so far JFC is the only name for the band. Fripp is worried about the baggage of calling it King Crimson. I hope he changes his mind, releases it, then tours. He's very happy with the material, according to his online diary. Stereo and surround mixes coming as well.

Wow, a new Crimson related project, and Game of Thrones on HBO. Nerdgasm!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

teen bear posted:

Wow I'm very excited for this.

Do you have a link to Fripp's blog for any of these posts?

This link is to Fripp's most recent comments on the new album from Dec. 15th:

http://dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?artist=&show=&member=3&entry=18783

I would love a band bringing all the styles together from In the Court all the way thru the most recent reunion. Gavin Harrison is up there with Bruford for me, Tony Levin is probably my favorite bassist, Mel playing flute and sax is always great, and you have Fripp and Jakko both on guitar. So many possibilities.

Lark's Tongues in Aspic should be re-released in 5.1 surround sometime this year, along with Starless and Bible Black, before the Adrian Belew period comes out. I'm really enjoying the new reissues, the sound quality is amazing and the surround is great and trippy. I have more than just Pink Floyd to listen to spinning all around me thru the speakers!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

teen bear posted:

If this results in any kind of tour I will be ecstatic.

Are the reissues that noticeable of a difference? I might have to pick them up.

Night and day. The original mixes are included for the purists, along with the stereo and surround remixes done by Steve Wilson of Porcupine Tree. Its worth it for the surround mixes, songs like "Cat Food" from In The Wake of Poseidon are as entertaining as Money on Dark Side of the Moon's 5.1 reissue.

It makes a huge difference sound quality wise as well as the trippy surround sound.

As for a tour, Fripp said that the JFC project almost manifested in a tour after the west coast dates were called off for the last Belew-Levin-Fripp-Mastelotto-Harrison lineup, which I flew to NYC just to see.

The Jakko-Fripp-Collins-Levin-Harrison King Crimson "Projekct" was close to setting up a tour of the UK and Spain. However as he said in his diary, he felt there were other things to do such as legal rangling with record companies over royalties, the tour with Theo Travis, performing with the Orchestra of Crafty Guitars, and the recent solo Soundscapes performance at the World Financial Center. The last of those made him feel like it wouldn't be his last performance like he thought it might be, so he may still do something, but not in the near future.

I hope the JFC album does well enough to at least do a show or two (Royal Albert Hall?) and they film it. I really like my 21st Century Schizoid Band dvd since you won't catch those guys playing anymore, especially the stuff from the Sinfield period.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Random thoughts:

I rather enjoy the new Yes album, I'm trying not to let Geoff Downes' diary mess it up for me...what an rear end in a top hat.
My favorite songs are "Sad Night at the Airfield" (sounds like late period Pink Floyd) and "Hour of Need" (has Oliver Wakeman sounding like his dad, and the lute reminds me of "Your Move"). But Downes' keys that do that Asia style-trumpet blare still sound cheesy as hell.

I love the King Crimson Projekct "Scarcity of Miracles". It especially sounds great in 5.1 surround with all of those Fripp soundscapes swirling around you. I really wish this band would've toured.

I never thought Union was as horrible as everyone said. I saw the tour on my 20th birthday and it was an amazing show. I certainly thought the album was better than anything that came after it. There were parts of were nice, like Steve Howe's solo guitar playing in one of the songs, but the rest was bland as hell. The band screwed up big time by axing Howe, Bruford and Wakeman to make the "Talk" album, and they never really recovered. A true Union album and tour afterwards would've been great with real collaborations. Oh, but as for "Saving My Heart", and ABWH's "Teakbois", Yes really needs to stay away from the Caribbean.

Steve Wilson gave an interview recently, promoting his new album and the new remixes he did for Aqualung(!). He said just what I've been saying for years and why I can't get into neo-prog or even prog metal: prog these days is missing the key ingredient of the old days which is jazz. It just sounds cold without it.

Speaking of which, if anyone is into the old Canterbury prog rock, Steve Wilson's remix of Caravan's "The Land of Pink and Grey" is a must have. I listened to it in 5.1 and the side long track "Underground" was fantastic. Wilson is the man.

I'm still waiting on my new mixes of "Discipline" and "Starless and Bible Black"...Oct 1st I believe. When "Lark's Tongues in Aspic" comes out, I hope they have lots of video footage because they say getting the rights to it is what has held up the release. I need to see more Jamie Muir in action!

Nice Jon Anderson interview. To answer one question, De La Soul sampled "Ritual". And the song is pretty strange sounding.

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Aug 26, 2011

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

JAMOOOL posted:

I dunno, I really thought that album was pretty horrible. Obviously this is a group with some real talent but it's not exciting and it's not really soothing, it just occupies this middle-ground "nothing" space for me, nothing memorable and everything exactly the same. Given that's only from a few listens on headphones but I just didn't find the material interesting at all. I know Fripp is in his mid-60's but I wish that just one more time, he could reach back and do something incredible again.

There's also kind of a blues influence in some of it (particularly Yes), and I do agree that a lot of newer prog focuses so much on technical precision and complexion that they've lost the 'feel' parts. I don't know if this means anything to anybody but whenever you read an article about the old King Crimson lineups, or Yes, or Van Der Graaf Generator, they don't seem like they're pretentious at all and have excellent senses of humor. It's almost jarring to hear Jon Anderson come off as a ridiculously friendly and respectful guy. I don't know why I expected different but I think many of the old-timey prog musicians didn't have that stick-up-their-rear end seriousness that ruins 'neo-prog' today.

It takes a few listens to get into "Scarcity". I know lots of people were expecting "Islands" meets "Discipline" because of the lineup, but I like the laid back feel of it. Fripp was still trying to appeal to Tool fans with the last two Crimson albums that to me they felt forced, which is why "Power To Believe II" was my fav track on that album...it was mellow but played with feeling. I understand if people don't like soprano sax, which Mel seemed to play exclusively on Scarcity. It would've been nice to have heard a flute at least.

You know, I forgot about the light bluesy feel. Wakeman does play some bluesy-gospel-ey organ on Roundabout (his solo after the quiet breakdown) and he was not into jamming jazz style at all. Squire admitted ripping off basslines from Larry Graham of Sly and the Family Stone (listen to Sly's "Dance to the Music" and Siberian Khatru, during the first verse). Those Yes hits were fun and poppy and funky at times, not just technically complex. It makes more sense that they went pop in the 80's, but the music press would have you believe the difference between 70s and 80s Yes was the equivalent of Henry Cow going hip hop.

As for Wakeman's politics, yes he is a Tory now. Which is funny because one of my favorite quotes from him during an interview at the start of the Union tour was: "I knew I was in trouble when I saw your Dan Quayle watch!"

The old interviews were great. Fripp kinda came off a bit pretentious, but also very weird. I love his Cameron Crowe interviews where he talks about low level magic and spell casting.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Speaking of Fuschia, there seemed to be a Gormenghast craze in prog back in the 70s. There was the 1969 band Titus Groan, with songs Fuschia and "The Hall of Bright Carvings". And The Strawbs, Rick Wakeman's band before Yes had a song called Lady Fuschia.

The Gormenghast craze was bigger in the UK than in the US, almost as big as Tolkien.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

keratas posted:

Has anyone bought the Pink Floyd remasters/magic voodoo editions yet?

I bought the Discovery Box a few days ago, the box itself is quite nice but drat mini-LP style cd cases really suck!

I agree. I have the Discovery discs for Animals (sounds better), The Wall, and Ummagumma. I'm not a fan of the cardboard/paper sleeves that these cds come in, which make them impossible to return. THe sound quality is the only reason I may revisit more of these.

I also got the Immersion 6 disc set of Dark Side of the Moon. Its not as good or as well put together as the King Crimson "Court of the Crimson King" collector's box set, but it has some interesting things on it. There were too many things in the DSOTM set that were already released, like the "making of documentary". Loads of other stuff were out on bootleg that were not really improved upon much. I have the 5.1 James Guthrie mix on SACD, so to have it on dvd and blu ray was redundant to say the least.

But if you are new to this stuff, I say get it because they are cheaper than they have been in the past and, depending on if you have this stuff already, may be an improvement in sound...important to a band like this.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Just found out Rick Wakeman might be in a power trio with Tony Levin on bass. Tony just finished with an all improv trio that Alan White played on. Makes me think Tony misses the hell out of Bruford. Hell, who doesn't?

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Apparently Steve Wilson just finished the 5.1 and stereo mixes for King Crimson's "Three Of A Perfect Pair". Now that it, "Beat", and "Lark's Tongues in Aspic" are finished, I am just waiting for the release date.

That will complete Wilson's work with Crimson, and Jakko Jakzyk should be doing "Thrak" if he hasn't finished already. I assume it will be released with "Power To Believe" and "ConstruKction of Light", whenever those get worked on.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Robert Fripp always said that an album was like a love letter, and a concert was like a "hot date". Having seen that Thrak tour back in 95, I can attest to that. The album was simply ok, but that concert was a monster. My head was ripped open.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
That's really too bad because Evening Star is my fav of the Fripp and Eno albums. Truly beautiful. I had a boot somewhere of Fripp and Eno performing live in France in a cathedral. Apparently some people during the tour walked out because they were expecting a rock show. There are clips on youtube, but they are incorrectly titled 1979 when I am positive it was from 1975.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I like TAAB2 as well, I've only listened to the 5.1 mix and Steve Wilson did another spectacular job with the surround. Its nice to hear Ian Anderson basically doing a Jethro Tull album with an old school vibe with hammond organ, glockenspiel, etc rather than cheesy newer synth sounds. I'm even tempted to go to the show this fall where he plays both versions...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: I'm also a bad prog fan, as I hate just about everything I've heard by Spock's Beard/Neal Morse, The Flower Kings, and (predictably) Transatlantic.

You aren't a bad prog fan. I don't care for neo-prog either. There just aren't enough hooks in new prog. I can't hum a melody or anything by the newer bands. They just all seem to be playing AT me with no sense of dynamics. Most classic prog, seem to have lots of catchy hooks, and I never have a problem with metal bands from any era.

But something about Dream Theater and the other new stuff just doesn't hit me. It was technically impressive, but I also tend to like that old school prog formula of mixing classical, jazz, folk, and sometimes even a bit of funk (Cross Eyed Mary, the middle of Echoes, Elephant Talk) in my prog rock stew. The newer bands aren't as experimental with mixing genres. Massive Attack's Mezzanine seems to do a better example of what I like about older prog rock.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I pre-ordered that mega set. Its about $140 from Burning Shed, $120 from the US branch of DGM, but their service is notoriously bad/slow, so I got it from Burning Shed. There's gonna be lots of crazy improv jams with Jamie Muir, and I couldn't pass that up. That said, there will still be the cheaper $20 cd/dvd-a set for the casual fan/newbie.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Its not from 1973, but 1972 when Jamie Muir was with in band, and the improvs were VERY different from The Great Deceiver box set. Muir was a madman on percussion, while Bruford more or less held it down. The shows were held in higher regard than after he left, as reviews of the shows pointed out. Fripp wouldn't put it out if they weren't so legendary.

15 discs, but not 15 cds. There is a dvd-a and bluray, each with surround mixes of the album, which I am really excited about. Also a concert in Germany of the 5 piece just before their first major tour. Its not so much of a cash grab. And of course there are the 2 disc sets for the casual listener.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I was fortunate enough this past Saturday to get the mega box of "Larks Tongues in Aspic" the same day I was to see Ian Anderson perform "Thick As A Brick" 1 and 2. Quite a prog weekend. It was basically Jethro Tull without Martin Barre, and the skits were hilarious.

I plan to crank this 5.1 mix soon. I was fortunate to see the live footage on the dvd, with Jamie Muir lurking about, but this was all before he began biting on blood capsules in concert and freaking out the audience.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Another nice dvd is the "21st Century Schizoid Band" live in Japan, 2002.

It has people from the Peter Sinfield years reunited: Ian McDonald, Mel Collins, Peter Giles, Michael Giles.

The lead singer and guitarist of the band is Jakko Jakszyk, who was part of last year's King Crimson Projekct with Robert Fripp, Mel Collins, Tony Levin, and Porcupine Tree's Gavin Harrison.

They perform songs from In The Court of the Crimson King, In the Wake of Poseidon, and Islands; alongside the McDonald and Giles album plus a couple of new tunes. Instead of opening with soundscapes or frippertronics, the show opens with nice ambient washes of mellotron sounds.

Later live albums by the band have Ian Wallace on drums, and they perform more tracks from Lizard.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Rick Wakeman approached Fripp recently and told him that if Fripp reformed King Crimson, and announced they would perform "In The Court of the Crimson King" in its entirety, it would sell out the O2, and that Wakeman would be the first in line (queue) for tickets.

Fripp stated he simply wasn't interested. He's never been interested in the past. I'm one of the few that actually loved Scarcity of Miracles, and was sad that the tour of Spain with that lineup didn't happen. You KNOW they would've played more than just that album. And with Jakko from the 21st Century Schizoid Band, Mel Collins, Tony Levin, and Gavin Harrison, it would still kick rear end no matter what they played.

Belew has been with Crimson longer than I would've liked. He was perfect for the 80's, and I was fortunate to have seen the double trio back in 1995. It was my second time seeing Bruford after the Yes Union tour, and had no desire to see Yes without him.

I know Fripp doesn't want to be anything like the current Yes. After watching the Classic Artists dvd interviews, the old lighting man for Yes, Michael Tait, didn't even think the idea of their 2003 arena tour with the Roger Dean setup was a good idea. But with the current lineup he must be in tears.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I'm enjoying Steve Wilson's 5.1 mix of Hawkwind's "Warrior on the Edge of Time".

And its about time that Yes' "Close to the Edge" is finally getting the surround treatment. It comes out the same month I see Hawkwind on tour!

The dude is on a roll...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

JAMOOOL posted:

The fact that very few prog bands actually have women in them is likely a big part of the problem. Outside of Renaissance I have real trouble naming any prog band with a woman in it. Hopefully it's slowly turning.

For old school prog: Curved Air, Pentangle, Trees, Art Bears, and Amon Duul II (if you count Krautrock).

Actually these days there are tons of folk/prog/metal bands out there with female singers that look like Nordic fashion models. Pick up any issue of Prog magazine and they always cover these British or Scandinavian bands coming out.

Mostly Autumn, Nightwish, Magenta, Kaipa, Blackmore’s Night, Touchstone...the problem is I like the old school bands, but like male dominated neo-prog bands, I just can't get into them. Something cold about it, and none of the songs are catchy.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

The new King Crimson rehearsals have started, with Jakko and Fripp at the helm.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
I was introduced to Awaken in the best way (for someone who was too young to hear it when it first came out).

It was the 1991 Union tour, on my birthday, and the crowd was divided between ABWH fans and Trevor Rabin Yes fans. You could tell the way the applause was going, and the Cinema half of the band was getting a slightly louder reaction from the crowd. You had lots of AOR rock fans who just wanted to hear "Owner of a Lonely Heart", ABWH hippies, and young folks dispersed between the two. I was part of the teen ABWH fans who was getting into "classic rock" ever since Pink Floyd's 1987 return that starting infiltrating those concerts. Even tho I had heard tracks from Fragile as a little kid, and remember "Owner..." being played TO DEATH on MTV, ABWH was my real initiation to Yes thanks to the pay per view special I tuned in for their tour (the one on dvd now).

Back to the Union show: this one song, around 12 minutes long came on near the end of the show, and had the entire reserve section, lawn area, people wandering around...everyone was collectively blown away. During the organ and harp slow instrumental section, the lights were flickering us in the face like someone casting a spell on the entire crowd. I can't even describe it. It was the only song I didn't recognize.

Thankfully this old hippie told me on the shuttle bus back to the parking lot that it was "Awaken". I was glad to see it on the YesYears box set. All 8 members of the band were giving their all, and was the one song where it wasn't a competition, but a true band working together. The applause seemed to go on forever.

I think it converted many people because when the Talk tour happened, and I found out that Howe, Bruford, and Wakeman were not in the band anymore, I wasn't interested. I hated the production, and even tho it was more prog than anything Rabin had done with the band, they ended up playing to empty arenas because so many people were exposed to BWH. Rabin realized this and quit Yes. I was ok with this, and was ready to see Bruford on King Crimson's Thrak tour (in my top 5 best shows of all time).

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Iucounu posted:

In Bruford's autobiography (this is a great read by the way) he mentions that the crowd noise on the Union tour was the loudest thing he had ever experienced.

I have a signed copy.

Actually, it was the ABWH tour when it came to Philly that was the loudest sound he had heard. He compared it to a jet engine before take off. Philly has always been a Yes town (prog in general, and the Grateful Dead), and here they were playing an 18-20k capacity arena going nuts under their own names bunched together to sound like law firm.

Bruford and Howe were actually upset that ABWH didn't continue, even tho Howe and Wakeman hated each other. So Anderson and Wakeman are the first to jump on the Yes reunion gravy train. Howe didn't want to play second fiddle to Rabin, and Bruford vs White? Yeah...I'd like to hear White play "Fracture". He wouldn't give Bruford time to shine except for Heart of the Sunrise, which Bruford co wrote.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Noise Machine posted:

A friend of mine took acid and saw one of the double-trio tours. I keep trying to get him to expand but he doesn't remember anything.

That's too bad. I was most stoned than I had ever been in my life (which at the time is saying something...think Smokey on "Friday"). But my seat was second row center, and it was one of the loudest shows I've ever been too as well. I understood what the original KC lineup meant when they talked of their first US show back in 1969. The audience was tripping and expecting "King Curtis" and some happy soul music. KC opened with Schizoid Man, and Fripp got the impression of the audience being "crushed". I felt like that myself.

There were two rows of musicians on the stage:

Back (elevated) row: Pat M. Fripp Bruford
Front row: Gunn Belew Levin

New rhythm section to our left, old rhythm section on the right, Belew front, Fripp sitting what seemed very high and in the dark.

The first two rows of seats were those of us in our teens and twenties. We baffled the older folks sitting behind us who kept asking questions of how we had even heard of King Crimson. The California Guitar Trio opened, and were amazing.

It was in a theater, so the acoustics were perfect. The light show was mesmerizing. At the end, Belew and Fripp were laughing onstage after taking their bows, and someone from the audience threw a shoe onstage before they left.

Bruford played drums and percussion just like on the Yes tour, with Pat taking the very basic rhythms. The difference was Bruford's enthusiastic playing in Crimson, where he just went thru the motions for Yes (very well tho).

I was so glad they put out that same show from the soundboard tapes for sale on Fripp's website. It sounds better than I remember. Crowd was very weird, to say the least. Hippies, alt rock kids, some annoying Italians in dark suits from NYC heckling the audience, cool but swanky jazz folk, uptight but swankier people in tuxedos, and guys who looked like truck drivers smoking weed.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Nobody Interesting posted:

You really must have been stoned if you believe you saw Robert Fripp expressing some kind of emotion.

You must not be a fan to think that the man who co-founded "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles Giles and Fripp" has no emotion, let alone a sense of humor. The dude is hilarious. He just doesn't act like, say, Sebastian Bach-rock dude type.

^^^^SMILING^^^^

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 28, 2014

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Misogynist posted:

How could you even tell with his rig directly between him and the audience?

That was in 2008. I was lucky enough to be on the far right side of the Nokia Theater in NYC on that tour, and could see him sitting behind the gear, and HE WAS SMILING at Belew. I felt bad for the middle and left sections because he was a hoot.

In 1995, he wanted to play Lollapalooza and was reaching out everywhere he could. They were on the HORDE tour and frightened the jam band hippie crowd, which he gets bonus points for doing.

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 28, 2014

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Gianthogweed posted:

I saw the double trio too, not quite front row but pretty close. I remember seeing Robert sitting in the back, barely noticeable. It was really quite cool. I was a little disappointed that they didn't play any of the old stuff (the only songs from the 70s they played was Red and Lark's Tongues in Aspic part 2), but it kicked rear end anyway. At the time I loved the Thrak album, but wasn't too hot on the 80s stuff (which I only knew of from the concise king crimson compilation). That concert changed my mind. Now Discipline is one of my favorite albums. It was a very loud concert, I remember my ears ringing afterwards.

I started with Discipline, then completed the 80s trilogy and my first fall semester of college, they were releasing the "Definitive Edition" cds. I started with Court, and went in order. I couldn't believe this band wasn't big. They battle Pink Floyd as my favorite band. A year after that, I got to see the League of Crafty Guitarists. Fripp liked our crowd so much, he invited us to stay for the second show for free (with a hand wave, he did request that I sit down because I was applauding so enthusiastically). I really wanted to take those courses. I could've been Trey Gunn!!! But college came first.

As for Yes, that ABWH live concert was my introduction, and I was jumping up and down recognizing songs from when I was a toddler. I couldn't believe that was the same Yes that MTV played constantly until our eyes bled. I noticed the music was spacey and ethereal; and wondered if they had anything to do with Pink Floyd and the newly discovered KC. That was how I made the prog connection. ABWH seemed to really be enjoying themselves on that tour. The Union tour was miserable for Bruford and Howe. But I agree: a true 8 man Yes band that wrote and worked together would have been something. According to Wakeman, although it was his favorite tour, he learned that the plan all along was to get Jon back into Yes, and dump BWH. Typical Yes dirty business/politics. Another ABWH tour would've been awesome with a bigger budget. Imagine the Roger Dean stage they could have had! Not too crazy about the 2003 painted inflatables...

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Gianthogweed posted:

I remember it was up in the air for awhile. The ABWH lineup released that symphonic album in 1993 so it seemed like there was a still a chance of ABWH coming back. For awhile it seemed like there were two Yeses: YesEast (ABWH) and YesWest (Rabin lineup). My sister's boyfriend called it YesGood and YesBad. Jon was the only member in both lineups, but then there was talk of Wakeman and Rabin working together. Perhaps another Union album? Nope, we got the 80s lineup with Talk. I remember my sister's BF was pissed because he hated the Rabin lineup and wanted to see ABWH again. He refused to buy Talk and it wasn't until many years later that I bought the album. I have to admit that I actually liked it quite a bit, but I actually like Rabin's guitar and songwriting style. I don't much like his voice though, he sounds too much like a generic 80s hard rock singer. After that, Talk sort of fizzled out and Yes went back to their classic AWWHS lineup with Keys to Ascension. I remember this being a dream come true ... until Open Your Eyes came out. The Ladder and Magnification were good though. Yes is such a strange band, it's the only band I know that had two versions of itself competing with each other. The fans were divided too. It was kind of like rooting for your favorite sports team. That Union concert must have been a bit like a Yankees/Redsox game. Nowadays no one really cares and the band's lost a lot of their popularity but in the early 90s Yes was really popular and the fan-base was at war with each other.

It actually killed their momentum from which they never recovered after Union. When the Talk tour flopped massively, they knew what people wanted. I listened to it once, sounded generic 80s hard rock like you said. I wasn't interested in them anymore and thought the Keys studio material was bland. Funny how I think the Union tracks that everyone hates so much are more listenable to me than "Talk" and "Keys to the Ascension".

Wakeman apparently got into it again with the band (most likely Steve Howe and/or Squire) and only did those shows that they recorded for Keys. They toured without him and got that Igor guy to take Wakeman's place, until he was found molesting a security guard. I never listened to The Ladder, or Open Your Eyes. I gave Symphonic Yes a view when the dvd came out because I heard it was good, and it turned out nicely with Tom Brislen on keyboards.

The only arena show I remember them returning to was when Wakeman rejoined the band, and they shot that dvd in Boston. With Anderson's voice getting, in Wakeman's words, "serious serious damage" to his vocal chords from the non stop touring of 2002-2004. That was pretty cruel of the guys to push him like that, then replace him when he was recovering.

I did manage to catch the tour with Benoit David since it was turning more into the Drama lineup, with Trevor Horn producing that last album. Even tho ABWHS Yes is my fav, I actually like Drama a lot. I gave them a chance so I could hear Machine Messiah, Tempus Fugit, and Fly From Here live. This time I saw them at the House of Blues, which was bizarre. But when they sacked Benoit for the same reason they toured without Jon, I was finished. I really think their poor business decisions killed people's interest in the band time after time.

And to Strap On Revenge: GET THEM! The KC 5.1 mixes are amazing. I was disappointed with Pink Floyd's surround mixes being so conservative, and this from a band that tours (including Waters solo) with a quad setup since the Syd Barrett Azimuth Co-ordinator days. I forgot to mention that at the 2008 KC show in NYC, there were speakers on the side and back for surround, and Fripp's Soundscapes before the show floated around the audience. It wasn't as loud as the 1995 Thrak tour. I hope they stick with the surround setup for the next tour. Three live drums in surround???

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Just a piece for all the Yes/Relayer/Patrick Moraz fans. This is how he left Yes in 1976.

- Were you forced to leave or parting company was friendly?

Patrick Moraz:

Unfortunately, I was forced to leave. And even though, at the time, the split “was not made to appear acrimonious”, I suffered extremely and extensively. To be “asked to leave” so suddenly put me in a lot of turmoil and disturbance. The fact is, I was never compensated for anything. I never ever got paid for any of my tour participation in the extremely successful and extensive YES Tour of 1976, which comprised about 65 concerts, many of them in front of sold-out audiences of more than 100,000 people. After all, as a member of the band, I was entitled to a 20% cut from what the band was getting.
I don’t like to dwell into negatives, however, I can tell you that I had absolutely no desire to want to leave YES, at the time, in November of 1976. We had just finished the biggest tour YES had ever done, the “Bicentennial Tour”, a huge, extremely successful tour for YES. Somehow, it had been decided that we would go and record, in my own country, Switzerland, what became the album “Going for the One”, which we had extensively composed, developed and rehearsed during the course of 1976 (and even before that). There was no reason in the world for me to want to leave the band! Also, I understood, much later, that Rick was already in town, with his own crew, when I was still in the group, and I was still part of YES.
In addition, it was an extremely complicated and difficult situation for me to be stranded, on the street, with my baby daughter who was only one-month old and her mother, without any transport or money, in the cold winter of Switzerland. Then the fight for survival to stay alive, it all became surreal.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
Since I earlier posted what Patrick Moraz had to say, I thought I would post an open letter from Eddie Jobson about his very brief time in Yes as well as his interaction with the prog rock scene. Again, its not a happy story, and Eddie dodged the bullet that later hit Moraz (at least the first time). However it does offer a glimpse behind the curtain and the personalities of rock stars. This is from Jobson's website:

Eddie Jobson posted:

OK folks... you asked:

I have been thinking about my hesitation in answering in detail about my time with Yes, and have concluded that a full explanation would be incomplete without some understanding of the social background of the London music scene in the ‘70s and ‘80s. To give a thorough and honest answer, I would have to get into some very personal recollections and history… and I have decided that too many personal details, especially of others, would serve nobody well. So, after 23 years of silence on the matter, here is a somewhat abridged version:

I remember, around 1974 and still a fairly fresh teenage transplant to “the South,” observing there to be quite a self-congratulatory social club (of which I was not a member) of successful musicians, moneyed hoorays and fashionistas occupying the trendy upper-end London social tier. They drove Bentleys and Aston Martins, lived in very large houses in Surrey (or trendy apartments within a stone’s throw of Knightsbridge or Chelsea), belonged to the same charities, and met one another for lengthy alcohol-soaked lunches and dinners at London’s most tony restaurants and private clubs. A small subset of this crowd was a sorority of ‘group wives’ who spent large amounts of their husbands’ money shopping on the Kings Road and who effervesced at sharing a charity event with Princess Fergie or being invited to a garden party at McCartney’s mansion.

As a young musician, this social environment formed much of the elite backdrop to the world of the successful ‘art’ bands (Roxy, Genesis, Floyd, Yes, etc…) and I remember vividly—even as Roxy were at the top of their game and at the top of the charts—a strong sense of estrangement from this self-impressed and moneyed social clique. As naïve as it may have been, I really was in it for the music.

However, my Roxy association did allow me some lesser place in the club, and my talent gave rise to many requests for my musical participation, including one call, in 1974, to assess my interest in replacing the newly departed Rick Wakeman in Yes. My impression of Yes was that they were a musically very impressive (and of course, extremely successful) band, but that they, too, were hugely impressed with their own status and were living on a lavishly grand scale. There also was that hippie/cosmic/druggie side that I knew would likely make it even harder for me to connect with them socially. For several years, I had seen Chris Squire showily driving around town in his huge and very distinctive maroon Bentley like some aristocratic Lord, and it seemed obvious that, as dismissively as Roxy and their camarilla were treating me, the Yes milieu would be even more unfriendly to this Northern teenager – so I boldly conveyed my ‘lack of interest’ in the Yes gig (in actual fact, I was somewhat excited by the concept of playing with Yes at their peak, but my instincts told me this would be an unwelcoming situation).

Fast forward almost six years… I had extricated myself from that disturbingly self-important London scene completely, from EG Management and Sun Artists (Yes’ management—who co-managed ‘UK’) and had happily relocated to the U.S., permanently removing myself from what I found to be an uncharitable world of supercilious people and expensive drug habits. Around the same time, I also disbanded U.K.—as part of the same purge. It was a fresh start, and the Green Album would be my solo venture as an independent free-spirit, surrounded by new friends—dare I say ‘all good people,’ with similar values to mine.

However, in early 1983, toward the end of the Green Album period, I received a call from an executive with Atlantic Records who was with Chris Squire and his new band “Cinema” in London. Despite my complete lack of interest in joining Squire’s new band, the phone conversation went on for several hours as he virtually begged me to participate on their new album (the record that would become “90215”) . This time my ‘lack of interest’ was real, I literally had zero enthusiasm for being in Squire’s band back in London. So original Yes keyboardist Tony Kaye was invited in for the album recording (which also apparently didn’t work out either, as he departed at the producer’s request after a very short period, leaving the keyboard duties to the production team.)

Later that year, with the Green Album finally completed, I happened to be visiting London as part of a promotional tour when I received a message (in the U.S.) that ‘Cinema’ was now ‘Yes,’ Jon Anderson had joined the band again, and that the album had come out really well. Oh, and they still needed a keyboard player... When they found out I was actually in London, new boy Trevor Rabin arranged to come round to play me the finished album. Trevor Horn (my favourite producer at the time) had done a fantastic job. All in all, though musically a little superficial, it was a fresh and contemporary recording, and with the ‘Yes’ name, a potential hit song (“Owner of a Lonely Heart”), Atlantic Records, and a well-funded support team behind it, it was clearly destined for considerably more commercial success than my struggling Green Album. With unlimited amounts of money flying around, my living in Connecticut was no problem; Jon was living in France, and Rabin and the new manager were living in Los Angeles. After all these years, maybe it was time for me to finally join Yes?

A couple of days later, we got together in a rehearsal room and thrashed through a few tunes, including ‘Roundabout’ (actually not knowing the song too well, I had to figure out Rick’s tricky keyboard parts on the spot – no easy task). But everyone seemed happy, so I returned to the U.S. as a full member of Yes and with a world tour only two or three months away. There was virtually no contact with anyone for several weeks as I learned all the Yes material in my home studio, although I did attend the mastering of the album with Rabin in New York. In fact, now I think about it, not one single band member ever called me, for any reason, during my entire stint with the group (or since).

The illusion of ‘equal membership’ soon became apparently false, especially once the filming of the “Owner of a Lonely Heart” video took place. Lord Squire’s indulgences (and the ubiquitous Bentley) were back in my face, and money was being squandered at an alarming rate. It was time-warp back to the 1970s. Roadies followed you around making sure you never had to lift even the smallest bag, and Chris was insisting on a private Boeing 707 for the tour! The grand lifestyle was being funded once again and egos were newly inflated. Despite my considerable experiences with Roxy, Zappa, UK, and Tull (a wonderful group of guys who treated me with considerable respect), and with more than 30 albums and a self-managed solo career under my belt, no one was interested in any wisdom I may have been able to impart, on any subject… even on the keyboard rig design which had already been decided upon. It was an inflated ‘Spinal Tap’ on so many levels, and I had unwittingly been sucked back into almost the same world of disregard that I had rejected so many years earlier. But I had made a commitment and I wanted to see it through.

Several weeks later, back in the U.S. where I continued to work on the considerable Yes repertoire, I did finally receive a phone call from someone—it was the manager who had been given the unceremonious task of informing me that Tony Kaye was re-joining the group and would be sharing keyboard duties with me. No discussion, no conferring… a done deal. And the reason? They needed three original members to put to rest a dispute with Brian Lane (their old manager), Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman regarding the legitimacy of the new band using the ‘Yes’ name. My youthful instincts were reawakened, there were red flags waving, and sirens going off... why was I doing this exactly? Still no call from anyone in the band, no discussions of alternate remedies, no apologies, just take it or leave it… so I hearkened to the words of their own song and chose to ‘leave it.’

Of course, the album and world tour went on to enormous success; Tony Kaye’s playing was supplemented by another player hidden off-stage; and the embarrassingly lame video had to be edited at the insistence of the BBC (to remove the disgusting ‘maggot’ scene), during which time they also removed as many of my scenes as possible.

Thanks, guys. All in all, the most disrespectful and unpleasant of all my band experiences (as brief as it was), and, with the occasional derisive remark from Squire or Allan White still showing up on the internet, one that still causes me undeserved anguish, embarrassment, and regret.

Post-script 1: The above description of the smug coterie that made up much of the British music-business elite in the ‘70s and ‘80s also serves the purpose of explaining much of the ill-feeling left percolating in the memories of more than a few of us more music-focused professionals. It also explains, in some part, the continuingly rude behaviour of some of that scene’s most indulgent subscribers (not mentioning any particular Arschlock by name, of course). It is ironic that those most included in that most exclusionary clique, now seem to be the most embittered and malicious.

Post-script 2: Some might ask why I would have a Yes page on the website. My answer is that I don’t have a category for ‘Bands I Didn’t Join and Should Have’ or for ‘Bands I Did Join and Shouldn’t Have.’ It was not a Guest Appearance; I was a member; there is a long history of connectivity (from Bruford to Asia); I am still in the video; I have pictures; it is part of my story.

Post-script 3: Jon Anderson has always been friendly, welcoming and respectful. His only culpability in this hurtful episode was in being so passive.

http://www.eddiejobson.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=3826&t=3826

There you have it. I have one more interview to post once I find it concerning the period of the Union album.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama
We've heard sides of the story particularly from Bill Bruford, Rick Wakeman, but here is a very different side of the story from the producer of Union: Jonathan Elias. His story is just as hosed up, but for totally different reasons.

Jonathan Elias interview posted:

The making of Union is shrouded in mystery: perhaps you can shed some light on its proceedings. You seem to have written a number of the songs for Union with Jon Anderson in the studio. Was that because of a shortage of good enough material or a planned collaboration?

JE: There was no material. Basically, what there was was Steve [Howe] was working on a solo album [later released as Turbulence] and he brought in some things. Jon [Anderson] brought in one or two faint ideas. The problem is they hated each other so much at that point. I couldn't get Jon and Steve to sit down in a room together without me and the only way that Steve would do anything is to wake up and get very stoned and he was no good for the whole day after that. So we would sit down and try to write a few chords and here are my sort of kid pop idols and they couldn't string three chords together without fighting about what they were. And that was just putting Jon and Steve together, and constantly Steve would be badgering me about how he hated Jon's lyrics and how Jon had no good ideas. And Jon would say to me, 'Oh, Steve's just so washed out and Asia was such a horrible thing—look what it did to him.' You had Rick Wakeman who… all he wanted to do was get out there in the mix. And Rick had three or four parts that he would play, the same thing on everything. I would bring a Hammond organ in—he wouldn't touch the Hammond. He said, 'That's old-fashioned.' Not realising… well, he's so out of touch—what good would it have done had he played? I couldn't get these guys to sit down and write material without other people being in the room because of the social reasons. They had just been on the road for so many years and they probably had so many episodes with each other. Half of them couldn't really play any more. I mean, it was really sad. They were just sloppy and tired and old.

How much time pressure was there?

JE: There was a lot of time pressure because, really, these guys were just doing it for the money, because they couldn't do anything else. They all tried solo careers and nothing really happened with any of the solo careers, so they realized that they were forced to be together. And the only way they could really make money was touring. They couldn't make money on an album unless it had a pop sensibility and they were so far removed from what a pop sensibility was at that point without Trevor [Rabin]. There were times I tried to push them into that, but they would just bad mouth Trevor, particularly Steve. Ooof, boy, did he hate Trevor! I thought that the stuff that he [Rabin] had done was very fresh, but both Rick, AT THAT POINT, and Steve would just really nail me because they wanted to have nothing to do with him.

So what happened was we would start writing and they would stop writing. Steve wouldn't listen to one of Rick's parts, Rick wouldn't listen to one of Steve's parts. And all Bill Bruford wanted to know is, 'Is it coming in on budget?'. They didn't care about a note of music. They all thought that Jon was stealing money from them. I guess they had a manager who used to steal money from them or... who knows what creative accounting they had ever done on each other, but none of them ever trusted each other.

In the end, you are credited with co-writing nearly every ABWH song. Were you ever writing with the other ABWH members, or does this reflect your subsequent work on their initial ideas?

JE: They didn't have any initial ideas. I'd say Steve had a couple. Rick didn't have anything.

Didn't you take Steve Howe's solo album...

JE: Yeah, we took a couple of licks off of Steve's solo album and I would encourage Jon to develop them. And he would say, 'This piece of trash,' and I'd say, 'Jon, this is all that we have and let's make the best of it.' So, there wasn't really this spirit of this magical, wonderful, open-hearted feeling of the word Yes that I expected, which sort of devastated me at first. It took me a couple of weeks to really understand that. I had just worked with Duran Duran and we'd had several number one songs. These [Duran Duran] were guys who could not play their instruments all that great, but they had a good taste level. Then here I was, working with a band [Yes] that I thought technically were good, but they had no taste.

They could not write without someone there as a buffer, so I guess I ended up being a buffer. I'm not particularly proud of some of the chords, some of the melodies, that came out of it, but it was a miracle that it was ever even recorded.

How did the whole situation on Union, with Wakeman's and Howe's parts being largely replaced, come about? Was that a decision in which you were involved, or did it come from above?

JE: Well, if anyone knows anything about this band, Jon rules it like an iron hand. It came from Jon. Jon was the associate producer on the album. It came from him when Steve's parts were obviously not what they should have been. Jon said let's go to California and let's work with someone there.

And when we had our Paris experience with Rick, which was a fiasco because we couldn't get him off of the TV... I still think that's why he hates me because I made him stop watching TV, more than even his parts were being replaced, because he certainly didn't care about the project. He was just doing this to bide time until his next solo album was coming out. I guess then he realised that his fan base had really gone and then he started to care a little bit more.

So what happened was, Jon and I were searching for a guitar player and a bunch of people brought up this name Jimmy Haun. We ended up meeting Jimmy. Jimmy's the best thing that happened to me out of the album. We became best friends and I have nothing but wonderful things from that experience. Jon ended up using Jimmy on all his solo stuff that he was doing around then. If he really didn't like Jimmy, he wouldn't be on the album.

As far as the keyboards, it was Jon's call. Jon said let's work with Steve Porcaro. Hence we worked with Steve Porcaro. If anyone ever thinks it was me who brought in any other keyboard player, all you have to do is scratch the surface—you know that Jon runs that band.

What of the keyboard parts on the ABWH songs did you play; and who were the other main keys players you employed?

JE: I didn't really play that many keyboard parts. I played several, but they were really just the parts that I had played with Jon and Steve in the writing process and Jon wanted those exact parts on there. He didn't want them to be clouded with some of the other parts that Rick had played, because it was pretty obvious when we got the tapes back that Rick hadn't listened to Steve's parts. We started out working with Steve and then we went and worked with Rick in Paris and Rick didn't want to hear Steve's parts. So that gives you a window into how this band is really not a band. They were really just there to put something out so they could tour. And some of the other players that we ended up using really cared more about the project than the players that were in the band. Tony Levin (bass) was a lifesaver for me. He was the only person who had any rationale in the whole project.

What did the session percussionists add to the music?

JE: Well, the session percussionists, they really added the same thing that all the extra musicians added. They cared about the project. No-one in the band cared about the project, with the exception perhaps of Jon, and Steve, to a certain extent. It's just that Jon's vision, Steve's vision were two totally different things. There were a lot of personality conflicts there. Steve and Rick just would bad mouth each other all the time and it was really difficult to be stuck in the middle of Jon not really putting his foot down and telling them, 'This is what I want.' This is Jon's band and I certainly feel that Trevor [Rabin] and Chris Squire did a lot better job than these guys ever did.

… and Billy Sherwood?

JE: And Billy Sherwood is another example. There's someone who really cared about the band, tried to revive it, and got backstabbed by the whole band.

It's sad, because I once thought that these guys were great players, but they can barely play their instruments and they play too many notes. [laughs] Look, it's ten years later, twelve years later, something like that. I've done very well for myself with many, many things. I've worked with Alanis Morissette, James Taylor, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and had some great collaborations. So, looking back on the whole experience, it really was a good thing for me because it got me off producing records and it got me into other things, where I really could do what I wanted. The whole experience was kinda sad. It was a babysitting experiment... And you really saw that, if it wasn't for Trevor [Rabin] in the mid-eighties, they would have disbanded a long time ago.

Most Yes fans have very negative feelings towards Union and you would agree with them on that. However, many Yes fans blame you and the extra musicians for what happened with the project—how does that make you feel?

JE: I don't really care about having Yes fans not like me. That's water under the bridge. What I care more about is the concept that the negative feelings towards Union were because of the extra musicians. The truth is it wouldn't have been done without the extra musicians. Because the level of distrust between Steve and Jon and Rick again, they just wouldn't work with each other, so we had to put up a guitar track that Steve had done and get a musician to play along with it. It was constant situation with that—their parts had nothing to do with each other, so we really had to bring in the players in order just to get the project physically done.

What do you think of the other tracks on Union and about Yes's work since Union?

JE: I have a lot of respect for Billy Sherwood and for Trevor Rabin—always have, always will. I don't know how Trevor did it. I assume that Trevor sort of just went off and did most of his writing and production by himself and then brought the guys in, because that's how the tracks sound. I can't imagine it being any other way and the same really is true with Billy. Billy's a wonderful musician and I was able to see how they shafted him along the way.

I don't think much of Yes any more. I don't listen to them. I don't think anything about it, to be honest. I've moved on to working with people like Alanis Morissette and James Taylor and people that I think have a little bit more of a meaningful statement and have an impact on the year 2000. Yes is stuck in 1980 with Asia... and that's really where Steve [Howe] is just locked up and he can't play guitar any more.

Music is fun. It's hard work and interesting and it's always been fun for me, whether I was working with Grace Jones or Yes or Duran Duran. It was fun [with Union], it was just the politics of Yes that weren't fun and how much they hate each other and I know for a fact that they still do. They revolve, there's a level of distrust with Jon—they think Jon's stealing all their money. And they're all scared of him. And so they blame the manager, blame the producer, blame the extra guitar player, but the truth is they just don't like each other. The shame of it all, and the truth is, I still like Jon. He's a character.

I think that my voice comes through whatever I work on... except for Union. [laughs]

The Prayer Cycle seems to have received better reviews than Requiem for the Americas. Having done the former, how do you now look back upon the latter?

JE: Requiem was fifteen years ago, so I don't really remember much of the reviews. I think, if it didn't receive good reviews, it was probably because people didn't like the combination of people on there. Prayer Cycle received wonderful reviews and probably sold twice as many albums as the last Yes album and I think it received great reviews because it was very genuine. And I think that early Yes was genuine.

There you have it. Drama indeed! And the album sold as many copies as the ABWH album: about 750,000. Gold, just 250k short of a platinum album.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Declan MacManus posted:

I've never read what Bruford and Wakeman have had to say, does anyone have a link to that stuff?

Well, there was the Classic Artists interview dvd taken after the 2004 tour but before Jon got sick, as well as Bruford's autobiography.

Bruford and Wakeman in the both said said that the Union album was a horrible mishmash where all of the original members' parts were taken off and overdubbed. Wakeman threw his copy of Union out of his car while on a Florida highway. He said he doesn't even classify it as a Yes album. He seemed excited to work with Trevor Rabin, especially since neither of them were getting along with Steve Howe. That is pretty funny considering Wakeman was just as much against Rabin as the rest back in 1983, according to the letter from Eddie Jobson.

Bruford also talks about it in his biography. When it was going to be ABWH II, Bruford for together with Steve Howe and Tony Levin for some jam sessions that looked really promising. Suddenly Jon and Rick come in with Brian Lane to announce that they are now part of Yes again as a huge supergroup. Bill was upset from the get go, because he still had problems with Squire (the only reason he agreed to do ABWH was if Levin took Squire's place). THen the money starts REALLY pouring in, and there were loads of expensive dinners in the French countryside with no ideas. This is what worried Bruford about the budget so much. "He who pays the piper calls the tune", Bruford states. He says the record company got VERY involved with the making of the record because of the large budget. Therefore they could dictate how the record would sound with Jon going along with them.

I never caught any interviews with comments from Jon Anderson or Steve Howe about the making of the Union record. Now the tour is a different soap opera, mainly issues between Howe and Rabin. Wakeman was upstaging Tony Kaye, Bruford seemed like he was just collecting a paycheck since Alan White didn't want to give up the drums as much (pretty much Rabin's attitude as well). Bruford would play trickier songs like Heart of the Sunrise (which he co-wrote) but otherwise played electronic percussion effects, except for the one Madison Square Garden show where it shut down. There's a lot to it.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

FrankenVader posted:

In defense of Yes "Union" , The more we live Let go" was a pretty loving fantastic piece of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajxABx3Zn8

I can't believe I just defended that record....I did see the tour though

I understand. I love that song too. As much of an ABWH Yes-East, Trooper, etc fan I am, I think that is probably my favorite song on that album.
I also think Angkor Wat, Evensong, and Take the Water to the Mountain are great. All four of those songs are ambient and spacey, which is how I like my Yes.

I saw the tour as well, on my birthday. It was anything but boring, I can say that!

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Olibu posted:

I was quite disappointed to find out that Run Through the Light is the only song from Drama that hasn't been played live. I need more of it in my life.

Agreed! after ABWHS, my fav Yes lineup is the Drama team, I have no idea why. maybe because its such a different band.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

MegaZeroX posted:

Ian Anderson's Homo Erraticus is now out! You can get it on iTunes, but it isn't available anywhere else yet, as far as I know.

I am waiting for mine to arrive from Burning Shed, which was shipped last week. It is coming with the new 5.1 mix of The Yes Album by Steve Wilson. It should be any day now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

-Barack Obama

Iucounu posted:

I wish he would do Going For The One. That's the classic album most in need of a good remix.

That is actually next on his list since they have been performing it lately...

Regarding the ABWH performance, it didn't help that just like the Yes Union dvd, they filmed it towards the end of the tour. I've heard better boots, but when I saw it live on Pay Per View at the time, it was my first exposure to Yes and I was impressed.

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 16, 2014