Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

hatelull posted:

Prog-adjacent?

Steven Wilson did the Ameoba "What's in my Bag?" thing, except with COVID it's the home edition and he just geeks out on Autechre records form his collection he really digs.

That's reminding me of.. something on the tip of my brain. I just flipped through their catalogue on spotify and nothing triggered for me though. Ahh this is going to bug me. A remix they did maybe? drat.

Also is this the thread where we talk about Devin Townsend? Because drat I love him. I've always been aware of him but just recently been working my way through his catalogue & just ordered the Order of Magnitude bundle off his site. For some reason the Devin Townsend Band albums aren't on spotify in Canada, so I gotta figure out something else there (that doesn't involve pirating).

stratdax fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

For the longest time I was all and only about Selling England by the Pound. Something about that album really clicked, and it took me a while to open up to even Gabriel's other ones. I'm still not sold on Lamb (though The Samurai of Prog's cover of The Lamia is great).

My favourite Genesis song is The Carpet Crawlers (from Lamb). The whole album as a package can be a slog, but man there are a couple diamonds in there.
Especially the Live in Paris version. Goddamn it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpEyuenDAo4

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Well’p. Just spent a mildly silly amount of money on a front row floor seat for Dream Theater, Devin Townsend, and Animals as Leaders in Vancouver this July. JP’s side of the stage. Gonna be looooooud

I just got tickets, 8 rows back at a heavy discount. Sounds like they aren't selling many tickets at any of their stops. I'm pretty much only going to see Devin, I've seen AAL before and don't care for Dream Theatre. I wonder if the three acts don't have as much cross-promotional appeal as Dream Theatre hoped. Or if their fanbase has fallen off more than they expected. I know if they didn't discount the prices I wouldn't have paid that much just to see the one act I wanted...

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Dreamsonic 2023 Vancouver trip report:
-bold choice of Dream Theater to be the worst band on their own tour
-John Petrucci's forehead is HUGE. Good lord. Must be all the HGH. And that haircut is not working for him. He looks like Thulsa Doom from Conan the barbarian.
-Devin playing the last song with dream theatre just made everybody in the venue realize how good the DT show could have been with a real frontman. I overheard some chatter from other people who weren't familiar with Devin. No lyric sheets at this point, he knows the song
-unlike the DT bassist or keyboardist apparently? Just staring at the charts on their iPads the entire show.
-of all the bands, Animals As Leaders made me want no seats on the floor the most. A couple pretty heavy sections. Everybody was standing the rest of the concert anyway so seats just got in the way.
-Devin was so good. Thought I'd be over deadhead from all the concert vids I've seen, but live it hits hard. The rest was all just good fun.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 22, 2023

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Spirit Carries On. Tosin came out for it too.