Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy

MrBling posted:

most prog metal bands seem to mistake "progressive" for "overly technical" which is a common mistake.

I disagree. A lot of the prog-metal recommendations above are as far from overly-technical as you could get within the genre. And even if a band decides that they like the "technical" sound and incorporates that into their music, it isn't a mistake in my opinion. It's a stylistic choice.

Even Dream Theater - which is probably the exact band a lot of people think of when you say "overly-technical" - has a ton of music that doesn't just shred for 7-20 minutes.

For example, this song is from their most lauded early album, Awake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIzPF3BfpQ

Over ten minutes and the only shredding is really brief passages in the solo, which is pretty short considering the length of the song as a whole.

Or you could look at recent Porcupine Tree stuff, which has lately been called progressive metal. No shredding or over-technicality at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-qf7S5PDtM

I guess my whole point is progressive metal isn't one-dimensional. If you don't like it, that's cool - I can't stand a lot of vocalists within the genre, myself. But the argument that being technical is bad has always bothered me.

Cool recommendations, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy
Mind Drive is easily enough to make up for the unmemorable stuff on that album, at least to me.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy

FanaticalMilk posted:

The bassist has way better stage presence than Myung has ever had.

Yeah, Billy Sheehan started in hair metal and has played with Steve Vai forever, so acting all crazy on stage comes naturally, I'm sure.