Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I'm gonna have to check out some of these bands. I like a lot of prog records, but I'm definitely not an aficionado. I usually listen to one album that I really like then forget to get any others by a band before I find something new.

For instance, I like Gentle Giant's Acquiring the Taste a lot, but haven't heard any other GG. I've only heard Aqualung and Thick as a Brick (which is one of the best albums ever). I've only heard King Crimson's first record, and only then because Steven Wilson had remixed it - I'm a huge Wilson fan, Fear of a Blank Planet's my favourite record. Can highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't heard Porcupine Tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

Gimmedaroot posted:

Oh dear god...that is just wrong. Its one thing to be influenced by someone, its another thing to just blatantly rip someone off. That cut was "Dogs", thru and thru. I thought it was bad when I heard Tool do "46 and 2" because it was just an angrier version of Crimson's "Frame By Frame" but "Time Flies" is just flat out plagiarism.

And to the guy who thought Keith Emerson was a maniac because of the dagger trick, you must not have even heard about the time he burned the American flag onstage.

Can't it be a homage and not a rip-off? (or both?) It's not like they're trying to pass it off as anything else, they even have 'and after awhile, you realise time flies' or 'you can work on points for style', if you like. The whole song is about childhood, and Animals was the first album the songwriter ever bought.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

king teh posted:

I don't think anyone can look at Sky Moves Sideways and not see the Pink Floyd parallels, especially the fact that it's structured as an album pretty much exactly like Wish You Were Here. But SMS was a gushy love letter with a fair amount of original music behind it; Time Flies is just...Dogs. There is no mistaking it. The Incident was a disappointment for me, and I liked Fear of a Blank Planet a lot.

I think it's easy for people to point to the structure of the album and just write Sky Moves Sideways off as a Floyd-rip-off, but I don't think they're really all that similar. Okay, Phase II of the title track, but I don't see Floyd ever doing anything like most of Phase I (the start, maybe) or Dislocated Day, and that's almost half of the album there. Prepare Yourself and Moon Touches Your Shoulder recall Floyd but again, I can't really imagine the band actually making that music. Same goes for Moonloop and Stars Die.

Incident, on the other hand... I had no problem with the Dogs/Time Flies thing, and I think both are great, but the Incident was really disappointing, yes. There's probably about four songs I think were worthwhile on it, and two of them are on the second disc.