Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Anyone else going to http://www.threeofaperfectpair.com/ in August?

It's my treat to myself this year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So a couple of weeks ago, I spent the week at the 'Three of a Perfect Pair' camp in the Catskills with Adrian Belew, Tony Levin and Pat Mastellotto. Camp started Monday and ran til Friday morning. It was the first year they ran the camp, so it was somewhat ad hoc, with a variety of sessions from each of the main players, from 'how to form a band', 'songwriting 101', 'my pedals and effects', 'electronic drumming I and II', 'playing the Stick', 'life on the road', 'Band Stories', etc.

We also got to watch rehearsals of Crimson-as-Trio (the joke being with my glasses I have a miniscule resemblance to Robert Fripp, which was commented on endlessly at camp), as well as the Adrian Belew Power Trio (Julie Slick and Tobias Ralph), and Crimson-as-5/6-of-a-double-trio... watching Tobias walk over and shake Pat's hand, meeting him for the first time, at rehearsal the day before they performed THRAK together on stage... Adrian giving a 'how to play Frame by Frame' class... Adrian talking about playing for Zappa and Bowie...

Ever been to a King Crimson concert where you knew everyone in the audience, and were sitting between Tony Levin and Pat? I have now. :)

Jokes about how the band doesn't know the names of the songs, because they don't call them that... the 75-person jam on Tuesday night with Tony directing, including the dulcimer(!).

Weds night Adrian showed the DVD of his performance of 'E' with the Metropole Orchestra in Amsterdam.

It was seriously one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life, including doing raspberry vodka shots with Adrian at 3:15 AM on Friday morning after the concert, the die hards standing around not wanting the evening to end. Next year I will be bringing Grey Goose 'citron' and Adrian is going to do a class on making lemondrop shots. Probably around a campfire at 1AM. OR have Tony make you espresso on his machine in the cafe and fiddle around on some of the Sticks. Drum with Pat. The guy from Pigtronix showed up and demoed their effects pedals, and offered everyone there half price.

The final night we had a concert, and there was a draw, they gave away Ampeg amps, Hammerex cymbals, random other stuff, and finally a Parker Fly Dragonfly guitar, all donated to the camp. All after seeing the concert we'd all built up to the whole week.

Also a big shout out to John Sinks, Adrian's guitar guy and Robert, who was Tony's aide-de-camp and FOH engineer for the audio. Sinks was Fripp's tech for 20 years and shared some stuff on living with Robert for so long.

We even had a 15 year old theremin player, Levon, show up. I already signed up for next year. You can camp, or get a room, or a cabin, or... prices vary, the food is included, booze isn't tho, so I brought the vodka via duty free. I have a bunch of pics and movies and recorded a whack of stuff including the final concert on my Handy H2 Zoom, Bernard filmed it in HD fight next to me.

The double trio is going on a tour shortly, the end of this month. Wanna see Crimson (sans Fripp, ok...) - go to Adrian's site or Ticketmaster. Going to the camp gets me in to soundcheck, etc. and booking for net year got me a free ticket to any show they do until next year.

edit: argh, need to shrink picture, can't figure how :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 11, 2011

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Home from Montreal, where I saw the double trio of Stick Men/Adrian Belew Power Trio (see https://www.adrianbelew.net) at the Corona Theatre. (All songs recorded at CD quality on my Handy H2 Zoom from the balcony, haven't listened yet to see how it turned out.)

Set 1 was Stick Men, with Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto and Marcus Reuter. Played about 45m set. They included a track from 'Exposure' by Fripp called 'Breathless', IIRC. I think Tony called it 'Reckless' but I'm pretty sure it was 'Breathless'... Slow Glide, Firebird Suite....

Set 2 was AB3, with Adrian, Julie Slick, and Tobias Ralph. Again, a 48m set. A couple tracks from 'e' were very well done.

Set 3 was the King Crimson set, and started with Ade, Tony and Pat as a trio, then they added Marcus and did Red, then Julie and Tobias came in. At some point they did Sleepless, Thela Hun Ginjeet, Frame by Frame, Indiscipline, One Time, THRAK, but skipped Elephant Talk, oddly (it will alternate in the setlist with Sleepless, Tony said).

I went to the band camp in August (https://www.threeofaperfectpair.com) and my reward was a free pass to any show ade/tony/pat did for a year. I had tickets to the Toronto show, but I figured 'See King Crimson in Montreal Before You Die', and this was as close as I was going to get. At this point I'd spent 5 days hanging out with the band(s) a month and a half so some of us campers all met up at the show, chatted with the musicians before/after. They hung around an hour or so after to meet and sign stuff.

Tuesday is Toronto (Mod Club) and Weds is Buffalo (somewhere).

Got to the venue at 5, in for soundcheck at 5:30, talked a lot with Pat about stuff (back to how he used to have great hair when with Mister Mister) and his work with Steven Wilson. Picked up Pat's compilation CD of stuff he's done with assorted groups (incl. some Insurgentes stuff).

I'll do a followup later maybe with some pics and CD shots - Stick Men's new 'Absolom' etc. Also if the music turns out ok, I'll mention it but obviously I don't want to get in trouble with :files:

summary: great show, they're playing amazingly tight, Marcus is amazing (first time I saw him on his custom touch guitar), Tobias is drumming great, Adrian's voice is holding out fine. And they're having a lot of fun up there.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 3, 2011

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

HD video from the current Belew/Levin/Mastelotto tour '2 of a Perfect Trio' [AB Power Trio + Stick Men]

more on sidebar

B'BOOM/THRAK
Three of a Perfect Pair

I was at this concert, but didn't take the video...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Has anyone here heard this album? Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited

It's a 1996 album where Steve Hackett got together with the 1974 King Crimson lineup plus 20 random vocalists and programmers to cover old Genesis songs. Which I half want to look for and am half assuming is really horrible

Yes, and I like it. I'm not @ home right now tho :)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Personally I think Deadwing is the best PT album, so try finding it online and give it a listen. They have gone through 'phases' though.

^^^^ or yeah that advice

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Listen to Porcupine Tree's The Sky Moves Sideways and both of his solo albums, they're great. The rest of his output is pretty hit-and-miss for real prog-heads. If you're into the more metal approach, Deadwing is great. I don't like their recent stuff as much as I did a few years ago.

It's been interesting watching them evolve. I see Gavin becoming more and more important in the music, for example. Plus you see the effect of his collaborations with Fripp and the assorted members of King Crimson's rhythm section - Pat, Tony and Trey, in PT and in the solo work.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Saw Steven Wilson last night @ Opera House in Toronto ON. He played songs from his two solo albums, 'Insurgentes' and 'Grace for Drowning'.

I phoned the venue and was told 'movie starts at 8, band at 8:45'. Didn't know what the "movie" was so I figured some Lasse Hoile presentation was involved. Hustled to get there in time. Found out it was about a 50 minute-long series of what looked like still pictures set to what sounded like Fripp's 'Atmospherics'-type guitars on infinite sustain with a drum track added. See five minutes of that and you're as well versed in the medium as me who saw 50+...

Toronto Setlist

The concert started very well, energy lower than a PT concert as the fans didn't really know the songs well, but the energy built rapidly with 'Sectarian' and I felt climaxed with Harmony Korine. After that I felt the band lost some focus, oddly. The Mastelotto-played-and-produced 'No Part of Me' was a pickup again, and they ended with the 22-minute 'Raider II' which had the audience confused, with one dogged member clapping 9 minutes before the end of the song in a quiet part. (I timed it.) Encore was good, energetic. There were a couple songs in the second half that the keyboard/guitar drowned out the bass/drum section, which I found odd. More used to PT where Gavin's drumming finds gaps in the music to announce itself at times. Wes was a lot more subdued on this tour than with PT, I admit I found it hard to pick out his work a lot.

Still, some good songs, and some filler, another album or two and he will have a much more broad base of songs from which to select. Marco came out to meet people before they tossed the non-friends-and-family from the venue. Didn't stick to get my SW cover singles box signed.

Overall, a good, mostly solid concert, decent audience for Toronto where they tend to be a bit lifeless, Opera House was crowded full house.

The ran out of M or L shirts *fast*, and only had the 'scrawl' tour shirt... pass.

Concert made me realize how much time he's spent listening and producing the remasters of King Crimson. The influence on Grace for Drowning is unmistakable, plus a quick look at the credits 3 current/former members of KC playing on the album (Gunn, Levin, Mastelotto). Other KC-related musicians on the album: Marcus Reuter is a friend of P@ and is playing in 'Stick Men' with him and Levin currently. Jordan Rudess, Steve Hackett also. [Holy Progfest. SW knows everyone.]

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 17, 2011

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Misogynist posted:

If that piece of poo poo was supposed to be a movie I'm loving glad that the Deadwing script never went anywhere.

Well, there was motion in the images. I recall the sheet the woman held on the beach was flapping, at one point she looked like she was sitting on a fan and air was emanating from her crotch to make the fabric billow. Also, the waves were crashing on the rocks.

FOR TWENTY MINUTES.

Seriously it looked like the artist made animated GIF from his black and white holiday pics. Or an homage to PG's 'Mercy Street' video.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 18, 2011

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Last night was another double trio - California Guitar Trio and Montreal Guitar Trio, playing in the Grand Theatre in Kingston ON. The concert was a matinee, at 2pm, followed by an interview by Brian Enright of the CBC (Canada's NPR), then at 7pm they did a Masterclass in Classical Guitar in the 'Baby Grand' space, where three local university students played for them and got critiqued. Then CGT and MGT played a little more to demonstrate some techniques including 'circulation', a GC 'awareness' training method - see here for an example, where each person plays one note in turn then 'passes' it to the next person.

Hung out with them a little, gabbed about Guitar Craft, Fripp stories, etc. Got their new album, Andromeda (title track here).

Nice guys, great show.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Going to the Belew/Levin/Mastelotto band camp again this summer - for those who like Crim, I had an amazing time last summer.

http://www.threeofaperfectpair.com/

Standing on the front porch doing vodka shots with Adrian at 3am after the final concert talking with a half-dozen of us about playing with Zappa and Bowie... was fun.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

Its funny how Steven Wilson has become the figurehead for progressive rock lately

I just get the feeling he's becoming the next incarnation of Fripp as the Rosetta Stone of Prog.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Katina posted:

He's a beautiful man.

I'm actually doing an interview with him next week, so if anyone has any great questions in mind, let me know.

Print out photo of baby SW. Get photo of SW holding photo. Post.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

So anyone else going to http://www.threeofaperfectpair.com/ camp in August?

Or just me :ohdear:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

If Rush then Moving Pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Pictures_%28album%29

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

So this year's Levin/Belew/Mastelotto band camp (http://threeofaperfectpair.com) was last week and I went again, 2nd year.

It was different right off the bat - this year ony had 55 or so attendees, and 3/4 or so were returning campers, so on the first afternoon, the vibe was a lot more relaxed as Tony, Adrian and Pat both had last years positive experience under their belts, as well as seeing mostly known faces. Some great people from last year didn't show up, but some of the new people were cool as hell - Mike from New Zealand came all the way to Woodstock to get a 1-on-1 session and jam with Tony Levin on bass. He kicked rear end in the late night jam sessions.

First day was meet-and-greet, with a trio session in the barn playing various pieces (hard to do Crimson as a trio - you're missing Robert, after all). Then a jam session and drinking.

Tuesday was classes/sessions, and a band practice with Markus Reuter (who's Guitar Craft trained and in Tony's Stick Men trio with P@) as the needed 4th. The annual camp jam session this year was Thrak, so the drummers, basses and guitarists split up to learn the intro and ending sections. Tony wrote out the main melody in 5/4 by hand, as did John C, a camper - I play trumpet so I had to transpose it into B-flat, which was easy enough with Sibelius on my laptop. So we learned it and playing 5/4 and 7/4 as an ensemble (using the term loosely). Dinner, more jams, more drinking. I remember Money being player with P@ jamming with Marco on bass - this was after Marco Machera (a really cool guy who has had P@ play on his own CD) was invited up to play bass on Red with the quartet. There's video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luX-AMQcu6k - that's in the main 'barn' performance area. I pop up in the video - Stan, who was my roomie, is seen playing 16th notes on the high hat during the video too.

Weds was more classes, Adrian teaching how to play Frame by Frame and Three of a Perfect Pair, Tony doing 1-on-1's with bassist/stickists. Pat did drum classes, and we all went 'huh?' when a new guy popped in to check out camp - Butch Trucks, the drummer from the Allman Brothers, showed up to see if he might run a camp. Butch told a few stories... (and then on Thursday, Jack DeJohnette showed up too!)

Julie Slick and Tobias Ralph also showed up Weds PM, and so we had a full-double trio session. Adrian even played Matte Kudasai, for the first time in about 15 years, live. Weds night was the ThrakJam, with guest drummer Butch Trucks sitting in with the 50-odd of us. He was later quoted as 'it was a catastrophe wrapped in a trainwreck' or thereabouts. :)

LOTS more jams, of really amazing quality. More drinking. Sitting on the front lawn around 1 am with Adrian, Pat, Steve (our scottish Mel Gibson lookalike), and others, under brilliant stars, drinking and relaxing and joking...

Thursday was slower - the gear was packed up and shipped to Bearsville Theater for the evening's concert, so there was a long talk session in the barn, more bass/stick sessions, and eventually we wore the afternoon down, got on the road to the concert, and were entertained with almost 3 hours of music - Stick Men, Adrian Belew Power Trio, and then a Crimson set as an encore. Back to camp, then this year people remembered to bring booze, so we set up a campfire/bonfire, and talked and drank and smoked and drank and laughed. I'd brought two bottles of Absolut Citron this year after being the only one who had booze left the last night of camp LAST year. We made it to around 4 am before the wood ran out, but Pat and Adrian stayed up with us til about the end - Pat finally wandered off in search of water in the dark, and Marco and I walked back to the building we both had rooms in.

Friday morning was breakfast (odd most people showed up later on), then a big photo session on the lawn, then wandering off slowly to cars and buses.

You can go for about $1000 if you camp, a shared double isn't much more. It's insane amounts of fun. Adrian tells great stories about Zappa and Crimson and Bowie and Talking Heads and other stuff. After the concert he was electric with excitement - it's amazing to see how much a guy like him still feeds off the fun of playing.

There's a ton of pics and videos about. It was a gas, and I hope they keep doing it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

DukAmok posted:

From a while back but I just saw this post. I saw them in LA, it was rather underwhelming, but it was mainly because their sound and mix was awful. The bass completely overwhelmed everything else, couldn't make out any other parts aside from drums. Seemed like they were having a blast though, Portnoy came out for a song and so did Danny Carey from Tool for some reason.

Yeah they had a blast, there were shows they didn't get much chance for a sound check; the tour was talked about at some length at camp. There were some great shows, and some 'meh' shows - one in a casino in Atlantic City at the end was apparently really poorly attended.

Plus Tool and KC toured together in 2001.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

The mention of Adrian Belew reminds me of my favourite prog video, a live version of Thela Hun Ginjeet he did when he was in King Crimson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1dJ-z6rJd8

I like it way better than the album version.

One afternoon in camp I was sitting next to Frazza and he played me the plain audio from AB's trek about London, sans music you can hear the traffic noises and AB saying 'this is a dangerous place.... he had a gun in his hand' etc. Was oddly cool as hell.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

It would be neat if he released that tape. I've always been curious about it.

That said, I've grown so tired of the monologue in Thela Hun Ginjeet from repeated listens that I can hardly bring myself to listen to the song anymore.

Imagine sitting in a class of twenty guitarists all learning how to play 'Frame by Frame' from Adrian for an hour and a half. Then imagine how tired you can get of a song. ;-)

e: same for TOAPP

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

JAMOOOL posted:

Exactly, I loved how in Absent Lovers they just forget the tape and jam.

Bonus from camp: backstage passes to meet up with TL before the Toronto PG gig :)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

TheForgotton posted:

I'm now hooked on Reinsurance. I'd heard the name thrown around for the novelty of them being a female-fronted prog group, but hadn't bothered to track them down until I happened upon a copy of their Live at Carnegie Hall double album at a pawn shop for a dollar. I wonder why they're not a more common name.

Check out this BBC program they did in '77.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJM3Mb6dVUk

Renaissance?

Nice spell checker.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Hence the most recent Projekct. That makes sense.

Of course it's all moot since Fripp has said he's done with music, but whatevs.

Having talked to Pat, Tony and Ade at length about KC in the last 2 summers, the answer has been 'Robert'. Fripp has indicated he's hung up the guitar to focus on the legal aspects of recovering money from their old labels. At least that's what the other 3 members say publicly.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Good news for Ade:

"King Crimson’s Adrian Belew has been named as new guitarist for the revamped Nine Inch Nails.

Trent Reznor, who’s previously referred to him as “the best musician in the world,” has confirmed he’ll take part in a completely rethought version of NIN.

Belew – who’s been with on-hiatus Crimson since 1981 and previously worked with Frank Zappa and Talking Heads – says: “It is being announced at last. Something I’ve been wanted to tell you for a month now: I’ve been asked to be the guitarist for Nine Inch Nails!

“We are going on an extensive world tour, reaching places even I have never been. I’ll be moving (temporarily) to LA in May for three months of rehearsals, after which the tour begins. That’s about as much as I know for sure for now.”

He adds: “Daniel Rowland will be assisting me on the tour, which should allow us some time to continue our third year of making my new solo project.”

Reznor says: “I was working with Adrian on some musical ideas, which led to some discussion on performing, which led to some beard-scratching, which (many steps later) led to the decision to re-think the idea of what Nine Inch Nails could be.

“The band is reinventing itself from scratch and will be comprised of Eric Avery, Adrian Belew, Alessandro Cortini, Josh Eustis, Ilan Rubin, and me. The first shows will begin this summer, followed by a full-on arena tour of the US this fall, and lots of other dates worldwide to follow through 2014.”

He shut down the band in 2009 after their Wave Goodbye tour, saying: “I’ve been thinking for some time now it’s time to make NIN disappear for a while.”"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

There's technically at least 3 Genesises anyway if you're going to be picky. And you know who else went a bit poppy after Peter Gabriel left Genesis? Peter Gabriel.

The only truly bad Genesis album is the self-titled one. (Yes I even like a couple of tracks on ...Calling All Stations..., sue me)

I talked to Larry Fast about 'So'. In short, PG almost became HUGE with the video for Shock the Monkey via MTV etc.

Apparently the thinking was 'so you guys want pop, I'll give you pop', and you got So. Mind you to me songs like Big Time are sarcastic comments about fame, etc.

After So, he went back to making music he wanted to, I think.

^^^ Absent Lovers is the best live album I have ever heard. The band was insanely tight.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Welp.

Ade's June 6 FB comment on his being a member of the 2013 NIN touring band:

quote:

concerning me being part of the 2013 Nine Inch Nails band:

it didn't work.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

I would argue that Genesis was a good band for most of their career. Their pop stuff is mostly good music, even if prog fans are less enthusiastic about it.

Collins can write drat popular music. For a band with fairly few albums, and his solo work, he is the absolute Deity of Muzak-in-malls.

I thought his interview where he said "you have no idea how many songs I throw out because I could release whole albums of love ballads but I hate being labelled" (paraphrased) was hilarious.

If your Banks and Rutherford, you owe your polo ponies to Phil, I feel. Once Phil went, we got Calling All Stations - which I *like*, ok? But nobody was getting rich from that one.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

david puddy posted:

He has been making exactly the same comments since before Grace For Drowning came out. He has also said it's inevitable that there will be more from Porcupine Tree but that one didn't seem to get reported anywhere near as much. I am looking forward to them getting back together too, but who knows how long the wait will be.

I need Gavin to sign my 2008 Tour print. Then all I need is Robert.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Going to see Stick Men tomorrow and Tony added me to preshow access but I have no clue when to show up. Anyone know the casino in Niagara Falls U.S.A.? Blaaah.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Is that just guest list to get in (show up around doors. I doubt there's going to be a line prior to doors), or is it like a meet and greet beforehand (who the hell knows)?

Nah. I went to both '3 of a Perfect Pair' band camps so it's more hang out with them before the show. Hard to get advice when the band doesn't know the venue either is all...

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Drove down to Niagara Falls around noon, got to Seneca Niagara casino around 3. Grabbed a late lunch at the buffet, walked down to the Falls and back. Was with a friend and was meeting up with another TOAPP camp alum. Around 4:30 Pat (Mastelotto) and Marcus (Reuter) arrived and said hi as they walked to check-in. We went to the bar next to the venue and waited for them. Tony (Levin) showed up and hung out for a bit then they all wandered off to do soundcheck.
Tony popped back out to get our names on a list as he'd left the original in his room - we all had tickets already but the Casino gave us better ones.
Show was great - I really like their version of Breathless (from Fripp's solo album 'Exposure') and they did a mix of Stick Men stuff and Crimson (Industry was novel).
After the show we waited for the signing session to end then headed to the burger bar around 10:15. P@ bought a round only to find his wallet was in his room so he had to run up. A lot of talk about Camp, touring, stories from the road.
There was a girl playing guitar and singing covers near our table so at one point I slipped her a $5 and asked for 'In Your Eyes'. Tony didn't even twitch (admittedly he was eating a veggie burger at the time). After each song she said who the song was by and after IYE she explained it was a mix of the PG version with a couple others. I pointed to Tony and said 'yeah he knows how to plat it on bass', to which she replied 'oh cool!'.

At her next break I explained who precisely the tall bald guy with the mustache *was* and she boggled a bit...

They threw us out at close (1 AM). Said our farewells and hit the road home.

Really nice guys.

(L->R: Rick, Tim, Marcus, P@, top of Tony's head)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 5, 2013

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Ordered. Odd Tony didn't mention it when I was talking about Marco and Gavin with him and P@ on Friday. :P

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

A friend [pictured middle] is at a Music Master's camp this week hosted by the musician on the left:

The musician on the right lives a half hour away and showed up.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

So apparently this is a real thing: Prog Rock Boat Cruises

I would be tempted.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Iucounu posted:

Nil. I guess is Pat, Gavin, and ???

Phil Collins!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Cory and Trevor posted:

Bill Rieflin from ministry (confirmed)

Source please? He's from Seattle? Robert said three Americans - Pat, Tony and Adrian would be the obvious ones, unless one of them is bowing out.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Never had a chance to see Crimson live, so I'm pretty pumped about this news.

I may even get to meet Robert this time out. :D

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Iucounu posted:

I'm really skeptical of the multiple drummers approach. I have yet to really hear an interesting well done example of it. Can anyone point me to something that might dispel my misgivings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3rJXV4R4E

I'll just get my hat...

But seriously, THRAK. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQ1aAaV2H0

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 25, 2013

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

There's also the Allmans.

I met Butch Trucks in 2012. He showed up at TOAPP and told some REALLY amusing stories. Also Jack Dejohnette appeared one day and puttered about. The drummers were flipping out.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BigFactory posted:

He didn't have the chops. Or at least he wasn't what Fripp was looking for. I think he was also 16 or 17 at the time.

You have a source for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

In the list of odder things I've done I am currently discussing doing a barbershop quartet with Tony Levin next fall. Any advice on KC songs that might work as 4 part harmony welcome!

Coming soon: Sing Crimson Quartet

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 30, 2013