Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

tankadillo posted:

My favorite newer prog band is Phideaux. Are there any similar bands that people would recommend?

I also just discovered Gazpacho and got their Night album, which owns real hard. I love mellow prog.

I would be down with finding some newer Phideaux types. Their last three or four albums have all been superb. Gazpacho's back in my good graces with Demon.

As for mellow cuts, check out After Crying's Fanatic of Gadarai (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_xeL-Dibb4). That song always sets the mood.
Also, Riverside's Memories in my Head is a fantastic EP (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghh4Xc2OPGs). You might also like the song Second Life Syndrome off the album with the same title (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLhLKLLJOnA).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm trying to think of all the prog bands that use, or have used, flute.

Steve Unruh deserves far more attention than he gets -- accomplished flautist & violinist, capable on all the other instruments as well, decent singer and excellent lyricist. Quite possibly my favorite set of compositional sensibilities when left to his own devices.

That track's by no means a highlight, it's just the first one that comes to mind.

Dishwasher posted:

:siren:This is not a drill:siren:

Phideaux has an EP out with material from Infernal dropping May 23rd. Infernal due out late-July to early-August.

FIN-A-LLY

I check up on Infernal once or twice a year. I haven't adjusted to the fact that Snowtorch is now 7 years old. That means I am also old.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think I'm on my third run-through of Infernal now and while I agree with the general consensus, I'm starting to think "grower" was not a euphemism.

It definitely doesn't have the high highs that many of the other albums have, but there aren't yet any songs that I dislike or want to skip past, either.

It's clearly a love letter to all of their previous albums. I haven't written anything down, but there are numerous lyrical and musical nods crammed into the album that complement it without feeling derivative.

I also like some of the oddball things they did with voices and layering. Good album for good headphones.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So I've lost count of how many times I've listened to Phideaux's Infernal at this point, but I cannot seem to put it down. As BrufordFreak complains on ProgArchives, it's a bit too theatrical, a little too stagey, a little too Broadway for his tastes.

That is exactly my jam, and I could not have put it better.

On a vaguely-related note, I don't think I've seen Major Parkinson's Blackbox mentioned here before. Until that album, their connection with prog was tenuous, though there was something I always found pleasing about their compositions, and I'm sensitive to repetition in a way I can't well describe. But Blackbox has multiple lengthy songs and, more importantly, a rhythmic motif that's deftly woven throughout the album. Or at least I think that's what's going on. There is definitely a similar cohesion that is not apparent at first but unfolds with subsequent playthroughs.

The Big Word posted:

Speaking of Ayreon there's a remaster of Into the Electric Castle coming out and that's kinda neat maybe I hope

Keen? I rather enjoyed the acoustic reinterpretation of The Final Experiment.

Though if it's a straight remaster I didn't find anything wrong with the original. Except the word "devolution". If they could step around that landmine of poop in some fashion I'd appreciate it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've gotta stop listening to Infernal on loop while I'm doing computer stuff. Things I like about it:

1) It's melodic. I don't mind a little tonal dissonance to create tension, but I'm not fond of when albums just go all over the place with the notes.
2) It's theatrical. Texturally, those weird mouth sounds and occasional falsetto / real-low-voice bits really keep my interest.
3) It takes a few main motifs and really runs with them throughout the course of the album. I hate repetition, but I love vamping.

What should I listen to instead?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yowsa, where can I find more albums like Joanna Newsom's Ys?

It hits a lot of my buttons. Specifically:
  • Folk instrumentation
  • Well-thought-out orchestral arrangements (as opposed to some cello hits)
  • Long, meandering songs that aren't repetitive
  • Dense, esoteric lyrics
  • Variable tempo
  • Emotionally expressive vocals

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

XBenedict posted:

You may like Laurie Anderson. Particularly Mister Heartbreak

Edit: Perhaps you may also consider Joni Mitchell? Give Hejira a spin and see what it does for you.

Haha, thus far Mister Heartbreak wasn't what I was expecting but it's definitely holding my attention. I've even heard Excellent Birds before. (The '80s were a weird time.)

I get moderate Kate Bush's The Hounds of Love vibes from it; there's a chance you may enjoy that one.

I swear I must've heard some Joni Mitchell growing up but I can't pull any to mind so I'll look her up too.

Rollersnake posted:

Newsom was inspired by Roy Harper's album Stormcock, so that would be my first recommendation—it meets all of those criteria. I'd also look into psychedelic and progressive folk in general. First Utterance by Comus is essential.

Renaissance didn't really have dense, esoteric lyrics, but they excelled at everything else you listed, and I think you'd enjoy them, even if they're probably a bit lighter in tone than what you're looking for. I recommend starting with either Novella or Turn of the Cards, but I'd recommend without reservations all of their albums from Ashes are Burning through A Song for All Seasons.

Noted and noted, though I feel like I've plumbed the depths of prog folk pretty well.

Oh yeah! I adore Scheherazade and Other Stories, though I don't think any of their other albums ever clicked with me. Though that was a while ago. I think I may even have Ashes are Burning in my dusty vinyl pile; I'll go root around.

Edit: While I'm at it, Jack o' the Clock's Repetitions of the Old City - I is superb.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 16, 2019

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I dunno if I'd call it prog but Estas Tonne's The Inside Movie is an uninterrupted two-hour, one-guitar noodlefest that's right up my alley.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DoubleCakes posted:

By the way, has anyone heard of Cheeto's Magazine?

Even without the humorous element, which is often used as a gimmick, the compositions on Amazingous are incredibly solid. I don't think there's a track on there that I don't actively enjoy, and I also don't get burnt out halfway through the album.

When trying to think of similar albums the best I can come up with is A.C.T's Circus Pandemonium which has some high highs but is a little too samey for me. Their melodies are excellent but their solos are a bit weak and they don't have much dynamic range -- everyone is all go all the time.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Oh hey! Phideaux came out with a free odds-'n'-ends album, Lysogenic Burnt Offerings.

It's mostly rough cuts and concept tracks but there's also a live version of Thank You for the Evil which might rock even harder than the original. And the song which is basically In the Hall of the Mountain King but about robots has got me grinning like a fool.

Probably best received by Phideaux fans. But that should be most of you :colbert:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's not prog at all but I wanted a break from my usual fare so I decided to see what ska had been up to in the last few decades.

Highest marks for Madness' The Liberty of Norton Folgate. Every third song or so is a complete banger.

Incidentally, I managed to find the one ska album that has a 10 minute narrative-heavy track with a string section and vaguely ethnic melodies. Just like usual.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Because of course all the greats just hang out and jam with each other, Steve Unruh and Phideaux did a private concert consisting of the two of them and Valerie Gracious (Phideaux lead vocalist).

It's quite intimate, surprisingly well-recorded, and impressive what they can do with so few people. It's also pretty cool to see how they rearranged the studio versions of some of those songs to be appropriate for the setting.

https://steveunruh.bandcamp.com/album/71319-live-at-monforti-manor

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I don't suppose there's some audio to go with that visual?

'cause I'd be all about that.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Duke thru S/T is the soundtrack to cocaine

Holy moly, I've never listened to their self-titled album before and I'm only on Mama but this is spot-on.

Also I'm kinda diggin' it.

e: Didn't realize this was the album That's All came from. Phil's really goin' to town on the vocals this album.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 21, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

For the longest time I was all and only about Selling England by the Pound. Something about that album really clicked, and it took me a while to open up to even Gabriel's other ones. I'm still not sold on Lamb (though The Samurai of Prog's cover of The Lamia is great).

Also for the longest time I didn't think I liked Yes even though all signs said I should've, 'til I realized a handful of those '80 songs I liked were Yes.

It's been difficult qualifying my tastes.

e: Well, Genesis' Genesis was short but sweet.

vvv: somewhat the opposite problem Lamb had.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 21, 2021

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Huh. I used to really like Coheed, they knew how to craft and chain licks like nobody's business. Then at some point they just started sounding like noise to me. Maybe I'll give them another go when the new one comes out, or maybe I'll just dust off some of the old stuff. Actually that reminds me I've gotta check out the latest Thank You Scientist album -- they haven't quite clicked with me but they're so close to hitting that sweet spot.

Though right now I've gotta say, I have yet to warm up to any of the rest of their discography that I've heard but Jack o' The Clock's Repetitions of the Old City - I slaps from end to end. Just the right mix of weird and pleasant and dissonant and acoustic and lyrics that I should really study on paper.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I'd start with Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness as it's probably the most solid album overall and also contains their biggest hit, then try one album in either direction (In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 for older or Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star IV, Volume Two: No World for Tomorrow for newer) and, if you like either of 'em, continue in that chronological direction.

Silent Earth 3 definitely has the most fun songs to actually play on guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fighting Elegy posted:

I've been absolutely obsessed with The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. It's my favorite Genesis album and its not even close. Are there other bands I should check out for that mid-70's Genesis kind of vibe?

I like how there is a slickness and touch of Jazz fusion in those albums. Folky/classical inspired stuff doesn't turn me off but I'm just way more into the sounds on TLLDoB, Trick of The Tale and Duke. I listen to Camel too and I guess they have some stuff like that in the late 70's.

This is maybe one taste removed (I haven't fully opened up to Lamb, though I'm nuts about stuff before it) but Manning's Margaret's Children and The Ragged Curtain (among others) have some great compositions that sometimes slide into smooth jazz and whenever the Sax comes in I absolutely lose it.

Also don't sleep on Camel's Rajaz.