Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I've been really into Beardfish lately.

Från En Plats Du Ej Kan Se (2003)

Their first album. I don't really like it myself.

The Sane Day (2006)

This is where Beardfish starts finding its sound. It's a 2 disc concept album, and it ain't half bad.

Sleeping in Traffic: Part One (2007)

The first part of a duology, this part deals with the day half of a person's life. It's a bit lighter in tone than the album that would follow. My personal favorite tracks are Afternoon Conversation and Roulette.

Sleeping in Traffic: Part Two (2008)

The latter half, this one is about night, and is considerably darker in tone than part one. In my opinion, this is the better half. Stand-out tracks are South of the Border and the 35-minute title track, Sleeping in Traffic.

Destined Solitaire (2009)

A lot more random and experimental than their other albums. Overall I don't enjoy it as much as SiT:P2 but the track Until You Comply (incl. Entropy) is one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mottull posted:

Been listening to an awful lot of Phideaux at the moment myself and had the Doomsday Afternoon album on repeat for the past couple of days.
It's the second part of a trilogy of albums dealing with authoritarian and ecological
crisis and I really cant recommend them enough, go listen !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWg15DUG0m4

I love Phideaux. If you liked Doomsday Afternoon, Number Seven isn't a part of the trilogy but is very similar stylistically.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Just got started on Coheed and Cambria, it's pretty good stuff. The older albums are more emo/punk influenced; The Second Stage Turbine Blade, for example, isn't the most "progressive" but it's catchy as gently caress. I still have Time Consumer playing in my head as of writing this.

Apparently the music is based on a series of comics (or is it vice versa?) which is pretty neat I guess, don't think I've seen that sort of thing before.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but that song is far from patriotic.

It's biting and sarcastic at first but really it's about how the ideal of America was so great and it kinda sucks the direction it's going in now. I'd say that's appropriate, if not patriotic.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Speaking of derivative groups, I just listened to The Pineapple Thief's latest album Someone Here is Missing and it's probably the closest they've come so far to finding their own sound. They've always been fairly good, mind, just a bit too similar to Radiohead and Porcupine Tree to be very distinct.

The single from it has a pretty catchy chorus. Pretty weird music video though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjJxSng0N_4

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Has anyone picked up the BunChakeze album?

I really like it, especially "Handful of Rice".

It's some of the most honest-sounding stuff I've heard in a while.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MrBling posted:

Maybe it's just that I've only heard the really terribly progmetal. I will freely admit that I've never really looked very hard at the progmetal scene because it never interested. Pretty much all the metal I do listen to is either the psychadelic fuzzy 70s stuff or sloppy/crusty black and death metal which is sort of the antithesis of progmetal. I don't really listen to metal for razorsharp precision and tons of shredding and solos.
It's not even that technicality is bad, it's just that some bands go too far and forget to write actual songs to go with their playing and it just becomes 10 minutes of showcasing how great they are at their instruments.

I basically looked into progmetal when Dream Theater and SymphonyX hit it big and when that wasn't interesting I just sort of skipped it.

Then again, progmetal can be a bit hard to pin down. Does Savatage count as prog metal? I've heard them mentioned as such and them I do like, probably because the Oliva brothers could write good songs. It may have helped them that they set out as a I suppose a regular heavy metal and then gradually went into the whole symphonic/progressive area.

I'd recommend Riverside to you, they're a lot more about the songs themselves than the talent of the band members.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

sethsez posted:

At this point it just doesn't feel enough like Yes for me to care. No Anderson, no Wakeman... it feels like they're at the point where they should just go by a different name.

Maybe?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Crippled Black Pheonix's new album is very good and has a lot of progressive elements to it, though it's still mostly post-rock with a touch of psychedelic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLiR_MT6toQ

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 19, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

After almost 20 years Anglagard has finally released a new album, Viljans Öga. Anyone got a hold of it yet? I'm sorely tempted.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there any recommended prog bands with female vocals?

For modern stuff I've heard decent things about District 97 and Panic Room. Panic Room's got some Karnataka members IIRC.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

So Facebook's telling me that Van der Graaf has a new album out called Alt. Anyone partake?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

solids2k posted:

I can't stand T4E beyond the title track, Driven, and Limbo. Vapor Trails is fantastic. A tie for worst Rush record in my mind is Presto... beyond "The Pass" "Available Light" "Red Tide" and "Show Don't Tell" it seems to showcase weak songwriting without the usually sick playing and has thin production.

Then again I used to loathe Power Windows and now it's my single favorite album of theirs.

Hey, I thought Totem was fun. :colbert:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Good god, I just spinned through the new Kayo Dot album and it's amazing, on par with Choirs of the Eye.

If you've been disappointed since Coyote check it out!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kate Bush was my gateway drug for my ex. Prog, but real poppy.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

IIRC Motorpsycho did a collaboration concept album with a Norwegian musician about the adventures of a ship, The Death Defying Unicorn.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: In other news, Gazpacho have a new album out in a week, and it sounds really promising from the trailer. IMO, they've yet to have a truly great album besides Night, but I'm feeling optimistic about this one.

All of Tick Tock is fantastic, and Mary Celeste in March of Ghosts easily makes up for the low points in the album. :colbert:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Little Man in particular is very Porcupine Tree; Snowdrops especially would fit seamlessly in Lightbulb Sun.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Anae posted:

Hi Prog thread! I've got a kind of fun request for you.

I've been asked in a month or so to DJ at someone's party. This person is ~60 years old and so far the brief I've had is 'David Bowie, The Doors, etc'. These artists might not slot quite so neatly into 'prog rock', BUT I would hazard a fairly safe guess that the denizens of this thread know a lot about that area of music - that is, classic rock on the weirder druggier end of the spectrum. I'm guessing 'etc.' covers mostly the standards: Pink Floyd, The Who, and so on.

I'm very happily going through a whole bunch of classic albums in my collection, but the vast majority of tracks really don't work for a party kind of setting. So, my question to you is: if you were putting together a playlist for a party where the brief is classic rock along those lines...what would be your absolute must-haves?

I'd probably go with some Yes.

Ozric Tentacles is on the odd side but fairly dance-able.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

tankadillo posted:

My favorite newer prog band is Phideaux. Are there any similar bands that people would recommend?

I also just discovered Gazpacho and got their Night album, which owns real hard. I love mellow prog.

Big Big Train is somewhat similar, The Underfall Yard is a good place to start with them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm disappointed that Änglagård hasn't come up in this entire discussion of 90s prog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gaspy Conana posted:

i'm in the mood for some silly wacky prog. like, good natured silly. (no Zappa, sorry)

either musical or lyrical playfulness or both could work. Canterbury and bands like Gong/Caravan come to mind, as does early Spock's Beard. any other suggestions?

ayreon has some really fun campy stuff especially Transitus