Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I didn't see in it this thread, I discovered today On her Journey To The Sun, an album by Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly (such a terrible name), whom I had never heard about. It's very proggy, it's good, it just came out, I've been rocking out to it all day! The album is like 1h10m and there's a lot of ideas on it, so that's nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXIL75HtKbQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

Weird, I just found this same album through Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist and I was about to post about it.

Hah, that's exactly where I got it from. It led me into Beardfish, which I like so far.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I have to say, I thought prog was dying as of a few years ago and clung to the classics but in the past few weeks I've discovered Beardfish, Gungfly, Barock project, Big Big Train, and it's giving me a lot of hope for the future. Really happy about finding new, worth-listening-to prog. And that's just on the rock side of things, tech metal is doing a lot of good for the genre as well.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

I love Fripp's music, but goddamn how he writes is insufferable.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I like all of it except the last 3 albums.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm a grumpy prog nerd :( Wilson's new album doesn't mean anything good to me. I think the new track is terrible. I mean it's his right to branch out and follow his influences and do what he wants, but I don't think I'll be following. I'll be relistening to Grace for Drowning...

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Seeing Stick Men tonight and Haken tomorrow, what a great way to end the week.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I discovered Virgil Donati's album In This Life recently, and I think it's amazing. It's among the most Ron Jarzombek-y music I've heard so far, of which I find there is truly not enough.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
In terms of modern prog wankery, An Endless Sporadic is among the most intricate and pleasing listen I've found recently. Any good recommendations in the same vein?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Marco Minneman's Schattenspiel album (2016) is really fun. The music is great, the concepts are weird enough but not too much, it's wanky but the music is kept at the forefront.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Dream Theater were once good but what they're doing lately is bad enough to cancel out all the good stuff they put out.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
"Supper's Ready good" is the normie prog take but the track IS good goddammit!

Live it's incredible.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

PinioL just released their first album and it's really good, it's been on heavy rotation at my house the last few days. Fairly aggressive, mathy, zeuhl adjacent stuff.

gosh darn heck this is good

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
When I was younger and getting into prog metal, I revered Dream Theater. Queensryche were always mentioned along them, but 15 years later I still dont get why. They're so awful.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I couldn't stomach listening to The Astonishing and had to switch it off 15 minutes in, but there are probably good proggy musical moments in there, which is kind of a shame they have to be buried in the rest.

If someone made a cut of the album that included only the solos and rocking parts I'd be interested to hear that.

edit : apparently someone did it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUZnzSqISQ
I'll give a listen but even at 70 minutes I'm skeptical.

e2 : Labrie started singing 5 minutes in and I... I just can't do it.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 14, 2018

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Dates for this summer for Crimson are slowly coming out. Going to Leipzig and the last night in London, here.

On one hand I can't believe you go see KC that often, but on the other I'm really jealous.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

teen bear posted:

Does anyone know the ticket pre-relase codes or details for the upcoming King Crimson shows? Looks like pre-release tickets are going on sale tomorrow for Toronto

Woah, same question for Montreal. Regular tickets going out on friday but if there's a way to get them as a pre-release I need to know.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Ozric Tentacles is considered prog right? At this point I'm convinced they're the best band to just leave on play for hours and you're always guaranteed a good time. Any other prolific instrumental jam bands like them?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I don't know what the vaguebooking poo poo was and don't particularly care about the details, but could I please be reassured that I'll be seeing Crimson with a full lineup in September? Those posts have been driving me insane.

edit for content : I've been linked this album, I think it's pretty awesome https://youtu.be/fonDsCqxxT0

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 21, 2019

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

cgfreak posted:

2000s Crimson is so underrated imo. Some real gnarly, aggressive stuff in there which is when KC are at their best (FraKctured and Level Five are just :stonk: ), cool glitchy electronic drums that make them sound almost drum&bass-like and as always some great live stuff - EleKtrik is definitely one of their top live albums. There's no one else who ever made any music that quite sounds like that era of KC.

Plus I'll always respect Fripp for continually trying to "move their sound forward" instead of just rehashing Schizoid Man for 50 years. Even though Schizoid Man is literally the best song ever.

Yeah I really like that dark sound and I agree nothing sounds like it.

Makes me think of Nuages and Industry off ToaPP. I really enjoy the atmospheres in those tracks, it's quite unique.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

XBenedict posted:

You may like Laurie Anderson. Particularly Mister Heartbreak

Edit: Perhaps you may also consider Joni Mitchell? Give Hejira a spin and see what it does for you.

Mister Heartbreak is so good, and the associated film Home of the Brave is by far my favorite concert film.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Theo Travis was to step in for Bill Rieflin but Fripp announced on FB they are going out as a septet instead, so no Theo. :(

Does that mean no keyboards...?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Ugh with all this Crimson talk I can't wait for the show in September. I think I bought the tickets in February, so the wait is almost halfway done! Time flies ! :D

I'm seeing the new Musical Box tour this Saturday, can't wait to pretend I'm not crying for 3 hours.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I'm going to the Montreal show next Thursday. My ex is coming with me, we were still together when we bought the tickets. Whatever, I can definitely get over that grudge for an evening with Crimson.

I'm ridiculously excited, esp. considering its been 8 months since we got the tickets! if anyone had told me 15 years ago when I was getting into prog as a teen that I'd ever see KC live I wouldn't have believed them.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Something I really like which I've pretty much only seen prog bands do is release re-imagined versions of their material.

This year I got really into OSI and have been listening to their first 3 albums a lot, and I just figured out that they have an EP called Re: Free which takes 3 songs from Free and just completely re-writes them as if they were new songs. I was really happy to find that out.

I've also listened extensively in the past to Cynic's Re-Traced which does the same with songs from Traced in Air and Tesseract's Perspective, an acoustic-with-drums rendition of One. Any other bands/albums I should check in that vein?

I guess a comedy option would be Futile Bread Machine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4EH52v7tVI

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
OSI pretty much became my favorite band last year. I listened less to Fire Make Thunder as it seems to do less for me, but the first 3 albums are amazing. I'm kind of mad because I still can't listen to Blood without weeping, it was the soundtrack to my breakup last year :(

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

JAMOOOL posted:

Hackett is touring all this year and Gabriel...I mean yeah, I know he just did that tour with Sting, but what's he gonna do here? 90% of their setlist is gonna be stuff he wasn't on and he's not gonna take vocals away from Collins, who is wheelchair bound and can't do much of anything....why are they doing this again???

goddamn that's depressing.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Steven Wilson has a new track out :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_H0NO-Cyew

Can't really say I'm a fan of the direction he's been taking the past few years. At least it made me re-listen to Grace For Drowning. I like sad teenage angsty Wilson, embarassing as it may be.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Tsaedje posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtppXIfi9Nk

Any of you want nearly 7 hours of Lamb Lies Down demo sessions?

Holy crap inject this straight into my veins.

edit, I just need to say, I love this album so much it almost hurts.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I think DT is good up until Train of Thought. I'm not sure though, because 2005/6 is around the time I started branching out into heavier metal and other styles, so I don't know how much of the fact that they started sucking for me at that moment is due to them actually sucking, or me becoming uninterested.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

abske_fides posted:

Wow the singles from the new Pain of Salvation is probably the worst thing I've heard from them. That said, they've always bit hit or miss. Be was such a bloated pretentious album with few redeeming qualities for example.

I've been listening to a lot of Crimson-related material recently. Trey Gunn is a really underappreciated musician. A lot of his albums are really great. Besides that I'm really digging the Dizrhythmia self-titled and the Europa String Choir album is also absolutely fantastic. Levin Torn White also shows that Alan White can actually play drums in a non-boring way!

Gunn was part of Gordian Knot too right? I loved that band. Which of his albums would you recommend?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

These new Leprous songs are coming out to be really lame so far.

Like really, REALLY lame. Surprisingly so.

Sadly that's how I've always felt about this band.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Anyway and The Lamia are great songs.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
lmao at the joker shirt

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Alternatively, only LTE albums from now on forever.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I like Doug, and he had a hell of a year. Went from a relative nobody to interviewing Jordan Rudess in just a few months.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Well, I'm so glad I got to see them twice. KC is without a doubt the best band I have and will ever see live.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Is this Get Back for KC?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Tony Levin's gonna be looking for work...

edit : That made me google around and I realized Stick Men are in town next month. I guess I don't have a choice to go see them :D

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

hatelull posted:

I knew "The Widow" from that record was getting radio play.

It's really hard to imagine someone getting further interested in TMV based on that song alone.