Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

This site is pretty good for digging around and finding stuff to try.

https://www.progarchives.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

TheForgotton posted:

Pain of Salvation - America

Maybe I'm missing something, but that song is far from patriotic.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

david puddy posted:

I totally agree but the chorus sounds so out of place it completely ruins it every time, haha. If any of you have the gear, The Incident in 5.1 is phenomenal (especially the sub-track The Incident)

Yup, the chorus sounds like it was ripped from a The Killers song or something. It's a really good live song though.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisited Part II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhtx_N7fjk8

Featuring Steven Wilson, Mikael Åkerfeldt and more.
I wasn't really impressed with the first one, but I'll still get this because I'm a shameless Genesis and Steven Wilson fan.

The small teasers in the video make it sound more like new recordings of the old songs, rather then the "re-imagenings" on part 1.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

carborexic posted:

I went and got the flac download of The Raven That Refused To Sing (before deciding on the vinyl edition) and it is brilliant. It is far and away the best thing I've listened to in years and if anything comes close this year I am going to be very surprised. I was really excited to hear that Parsons was involved and it definitely paid off bringing him on, as everything simply sounds amazing-- clear and rich. With Theo Travis and the original mellotron from Court featuring there are more than a few nods to early KC. I will absolutely be getting this on vinyl.

Got the special edition in the mail today and I must agree, the album is outstanding. Better than Grace for Drowning in my opinion. GfD was very clear in it's inspiration from classic prog and lost some of it's identity to it, with the obvious nods and winks to the prog of the past (Sectarian, Raider II, Track One) mixed with the more modern sounding stuff (Index, No Part of Me) making it feel like two different albums forced into one. The Raven is more cohesive, and while it's also inspired by classic prog it seems fresher and more natural, rather then just aping someone else's style from 40 years ago.
The 5.1 mix is also one of the best I've heard, if you're into that kind of thing.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm of the opinion that the Road Salt project was exactly what PoS needed after the mess that Be was and the letdown of Scarsick. And I think it works really well, their best stuff since Remedy Lane. A different approach to writing albums was probably what Gildenløv needed.

Except for the production. I get what they were going for, but it just sounds like rear end.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Pain of Salvation's Be is the only album I can think of that could benefit from being longer. A double album would have given the (incredible complex, over the top, unnecessary, pretentious) concept room to breath more, so the album wouldn't feel like a barely coherent collection of excerpts from different ideas.
I agree the voice work on RS is pretty good, even if it is a bit too loud in the mix. And I'm pretty sure there is a third Road Salt album coming. I might be mistaken but I seem to remember it going to be a trilogy.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

RDreamer posted:

Really? I don't remember anything like this at all.

No wonder. I checked their homepage and it seems I dreamt it all up. My apologies.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm actually tempted to pick up his first solo album - I think it's just called "The Steve Howe Album," - but few people seem to have heard it.

Is that the album where he sings himself, and it's wonderfully bad?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

FalseParadigm posted:

Coincidentally, I am listening to Deadwing right now.

I don't know what's going on with Porcupine Tree. Wilson has his hand in all these other projects, and Harrison seems really invested in teaching and doing his jazz band thing. They must combine their awesome musical powers again.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/porcupine_tree_on_indefinite_hiatus.html

On hiatus for the time being, with no plans of getting back together soon.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The first Blackfield album is really good. Classic soft-rock stuff. The second album was terrible and slightly annoying.
I just assumed the rest of them were terrible too, is this correct?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

strap on revenge posted:

Anathema is touring in Australia in August yessssssssssssssssssssssss

I've enjoyed the recent Anathema albums, but my god are they boring live. They have this aura of has-beens despite them never have being more popular.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Am I an idiot, or wouldn't an LP version defeat the point of a 5.1 mix?

You can't have 5.1 on an LP, no. But since they're already remastering and reissuing stuff, a new mastered LP release would be nice. They did it for King Crimson with 5.1 mixes on Blu-ray and new stereo mixes for vinyl.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I can't find the interview now, but Steven Wilson said he only takes about a week making those 5.1 remixes for an album. That's pretty impressive considering how great a lot of them sound. I wish he could have done the Genesis remixes that were made a couple of years ago.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There really isn't much to say about Flower Kings in my opinion. They're talented musicians who make unremarkable and derivative prog rock. It's perfectly listenable, but I don't know why you'd want to.

Except for Roine Ztoltz zpecial way of pronouncing when he zingz, of courze.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

A better band than Flower Kings (but in the same vein) is Black Bonzo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyZfTGbajLM

I like this song, but the band has the same problem as a lot of other "modern" prog bands in that they just ape stuff from the seventies. When the genre started it was all new and about experimentation and not really setting limits for yourself and whatnot, and now it's 40 years later and people are just copying it. It doesn't really make it bad, but it definetly makes it less interesting.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

JAMOOOL posted:

How bout The Tangent? I have their debut and like it fine...is it worth continuing?

funny story: I bought that album b/c I'd heard the name a bunch and really wanted to hear something without Roine Stolt on it...I thought they were American!

They're OK, I used to be a fan until I got bored of them. I'd check out The World that We Drive Through and A Place in the Queue. Those are pretty good albums, but they do have the same problem as I mentioned earlier with just copying other better bands. Very much Caravan influences, pluss KC and Genesis.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Speaking of swedish prog, here's a golden oldie. Kvartetten som Sprangde (The Quartet that blew up) only released one album as far as I know (Wikipedia doesn't have a page for them) and it's hard to come by. They recently re-released a limited run of 500 copies on vinyl and I think that's about what you can find of them in the physical format (I have one of these :smug:). But it is on Spotify anf Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kvartetten+som+spr%C3%A4ngde

Instrumental, prog and jazz fusion stuff with a lot of swedish folk music undertones. poo poo's good.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I think that it's really tough to keep putting out consistently great material because there are only so many ideas that a person can have musically while still sounding like themselves. I think the only band that kept up that level of innovation and progress was King Crimson simply through Robert Fripp's willingness to fire everyone and start from scratch as often as it took

This is why I don't hate later Genesis or Yes, for example. I'd rather they evolve and do something else that I might not like, than to stagnate and just keep repeating themselves, trying to recreate the success of some album they made 20 years ago coughmetallicadeathmagneticcough. That's just sad.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

I like later Genesis but I'm not a fan of later Yes, and I've never been sure why.

It's probably because it's dreadful, but so is later Genesis. I'm just saying that's okay. The stuff they went on to do doesn't interest me, better that then them making foxtrot over and over 'till the point of tedium.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Maybe some Queen, 70's peter gabriel, marillion, i dont know.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

not yet. Hopefully something will be announced.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

For those GG fans.

The Steven Wilson remix of Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory is now up for preorder.

Comes in CD, vinyl, DVD and bluray. Both stereo and 5.1 remixes.

You can get it on headphonedust.

Probably going to get it, its a great album that allready sounded pretty good to beging with

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I'm pretty sure Waters will be staying far away from the Pink Floyd album. There was a documentary made after they played at the Live Aid gig some years ago, and he seemed pretty sure that he wouldn't be working with them again.

E: New Yes album? they haven't made much good music in 40 years, i doubt they'll start now.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I've only heard a couple of songs from the new Opeth album. It seems okay. I think it's a good thing that they are moving away from metal and trying something new, but I dont really know if this is the right direction for them.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Earwicker posted:

In the middle of Supper's Ready instead of "a flower?!", Peter Gabriel yells "baba booey baba booey Howard Stern's penis!"

this really comes alive in the 5.1 mix

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

the new Pink Floyd "album" is really underwhelming.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

ThePutty posted:

i'm coming into this thread to say jethro tull owns bones, that is all

*whimsical flute solo*

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

deadwing posted:

You're in luck, he released the title track last week!

got a link? i can only find the teaser.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I like fugazi.

But yeah, Clutching at Straws for fish-era and Marbles for the newer stuff.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Iucounu posted:

I thought the first Blackfield album was pretty good.

it is. the rest are garbage, though.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

And Then They Were Three is an album filled solely with terrible keyboard sounds. Although, that album had a myriad of other problems too.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Seventh Arrow posted:

I would say Oblivion Sun, Unitopia, Glass Hammer. Maybe Beardfish, to an extent. Also, the latest Opeth album is more classic-y.

The Tangent, some of Steven Wilsons stuff, spock's beard maybe

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

hence the maybe. Some of their earlier stuff is okay.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

future "post bad album covers" thread material. thank you steve.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

why not?

i've been curious about that album

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cheating the Polygraph by Gavin Harrison is pretty sweet. Just letting you know

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

spiralbrain posted:

Its def not what you would expect.

which is what makes it good. if it was just some PT songs played unchanged with brass instruments it would be rather boring, but the different arrangements and mood changes keep it interesting. also Harrisons drumming is superb.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I feel like outside of the first album I like King Crimson on an intellectual level more than an emotional level if that makes any sense

i get what you're saying and agree, except for discipline i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Astrochicken posted:

Is this the thread I go to to say that I think the best Porcupine Tree album is Recordings? tia

yes, friend, share your thoughts on recordings. 'tis a good album.