Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Hollenhammer posted:

Hey guys I've been checking out Rush, Yes and King Crimson. I'm pretty new to the genre... Where should I go from here? What are some essential Prog bands?

For a well rounded experience of prog:

Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull
Apostrophe by Frank Zappa (it's one of his more mainstream and easier to get into)
Octopus by Gentle Giant
Per Un Amico by PFM
In The Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan
Six by Soft Machine
Renaissance by Renaissance
Trespass by Genesis
Meddle by Pink Floyd
Visions Of The Emerald Beyond by Mahavishnu Orchestra

And if you already haven't heard them in your foray into Rush, Yes & King Crimson:

A Farewell to Kings by Rush
Red by King Crimson
Fragile by Yes

And to comment on the SW/Porcupine Tree trend, am I the only one who isn't impressed by Grace For Drowning? I got the 3-disc deluxe edition that came in that hardcover book. I thought Gavin would have done a much better job on drums. I thought the first disc was really good, but the third disc should have been scrapped altogether. Most of the second disc was mediocre, nothing special. I thought Insurgentes was much better. GfD just seemed to ramble, like he'd jammed to song ideas, then took those demos and produced the poo poo out of them, and released it as an album.

I love PT though. FOABP was my introduction to them, and I went back and bought their back catalog chronologically. But being my first PT experience, FOABP is still my favorite of theirs.

edit: spelling
edit 2: sentence clarity

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

burritonegro posted:

I'm on the fence about paying to go see them this year, as it sounds like roughly the same set. Granted, you probably still appreciate a million things you didn't get before.

That, and the setlist does vary. The band knows a huge repertoire of songs, and change up a handful of songs from night to night. And very much like when Frank was alive (and touring), no song sounds the same twice - making it much more likely that, as you said, you'll appreciate a million more things than before.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

I liked the second disc about as well as the first, even if Raider II drags on a bit. Track One is up there with my favourites on the album, Index is classic Wilson and Dust is a pretty great outro. Also, as someone who loves the poo poo out of Gavin's drumming, I was really glad that he wasn't on this album. His style is very distinctive, to the point where hearing him play alongside Steven makes anything immediately resemble Porcupine Tree, at least to my ears. This is a bit of a problem I had with Insurgentes, actually - the drumming was great, but it tethered the album too closely to the sound PT had established, and was a bit less unique for it. Having a different drummer on GfD helped to separate it from that, and make it a bit more special. Doesn't hurt that Pat Mastelotto knows his way around a prog groove (and whoever the other guy credited for drums is).

Anyway, if I want to have a drumgasm to something with Gavin in, I just listen to his amazing side project Gavin Harrison & 05Ric. Aw yeah.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that project. And I can see where you're coming from about having someone other than Gavin do drums. I just this guy (whose name I also can't remember at the moment - guess that shows how much of an impression he made on me) was a very 'blah' choice. Before GfD was released, there was all this hype about Marco Minnimann being the drummer on the album. I was very disappointed that this wasn't the case. I thought he would have done a much better job on drums - played more interesting things (I'm a drummer, which may explain my fixation with the drum parts).

I think that must be my main issue with GfD: it didn't live up to my expectations. From all the hype I was hearing about it I was expecting lots of complex, heavy riffs (in the King Crimson or Gentle Giant fashion), and what I got was a lot of piano-heavy slower songs, or slower, rambling sections on the album which I don't care for and I feel should have been cut down.

I love Pat Mastelotto. His drumming was really good in "No Part Of Me". I've seen him live a couple times - Once in King Crimson, and once with Stick Men playing alongside the Adrian Belew Power Trio. And I don't know whether it's the particular song repertoire or the lack of Robert Fripp, but his playing in Stick Men just doesn't live up to the creative genius of The Power To Believe album.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah, speaking as an also drummer, it's definitely not one of those albums that I listen to for the drumming. The grooves are right in the pocket for the most part and don't really stand out on their own, which I think is fine. Mostly I just like it for the top notch writing and production.

I don't think his songwriting is that great on GfD, but the production is amazing as always.

I was having a discussion about the merits of Dillenger Escape Plan with a friend while watching the Prog Metal episode of Metal Evolution last night. Any ideas for the best introduction to their discography? I'm not a fan of growly vocals. Do they have an album with minimal growling?

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I work at my alma mater's radio station, and they've foolishly decided to get rid of all the vinyl. They want to go completely digital...

But apparently, the music program there breeds morons - they tried to sell the records for $1 each, but hardly anyone bought any. So now they're letting the DJs go through them and take what they like. I seem to be one of only a handful who still has a turntable, because no one appears to be taking any...

After a few months of the "take whatever you like" policy, I'm still finding cool stuff. Yesterday I brought home "And Close As This", and "In A Foreign Town" by Peter Hammill, and Dick Heckstall-Smith's "A Story Ended", featuring Dave Greenslade, Graham Bond, and Jon Hiseman.

Previous finds include "In The Wake of Poseidon", "Lizard", "Islands", "Discipline", "Three Of A Perfect Pair", and "Beat"; "2112", "Grace Under Pressure", and "Hold Your Fire", and Renaissance's debut. I already had them on cd, but who could pass up all those free albums?

Anyone want me to keep an eye out for anything in particular? I will say that generally, the record sleeves will be anything from worn, to poo poo condition, but the records have generally remained in great condition.

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 19, 2012

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Iucounu posted:

So I just found out that as a teenager, Steven Wilson was the keyboard player in a New Wave band called Pride of Passion, later changing their name to the Blazing Apostles.

And to think that two years later he released "On A Sunday Evening Of Life" as Porcupine Tree...

On a different note, anyone familiar with Jade Warrior? I just picked up their 1975 album "Waves". It's alright. It's jazzy - the kind of album you could play as background music at a family dinner, and no one would mind.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Iucounu posted:

Prog nerds: My two man prog rock project just released our first demo. This is one of our more straightforward tunes, but it gets pretty proggy in places:

http://soundcloud.com/metamusique

I like it! Reminds me of Crippled Black Phoenix. Once you get a full EP or album recorded, let me know!

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Has anyone listened to Thick As a Brick 2 yet? I've been listening to it for a couple of days and I'm surprised by how awesome it is. Definitely some classic 70s Tull sounds going on; sounds like a proper sequel, which is very cool. There are some spoken word parts that seem a bit cheesy, but they're growing on me. Overall it's a pretty great album.

Check out one of the standouts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KkcNAsI9U

It is a good IA solo album - but I don't think he should have put it under the TAAB banner. You just can't live up to an album like that. I didn't really like the spoken word bits. If he had just taken out all the lyrical references to TAAB, the concept was good enough to hold its own. I thought the first minute and 38 seconds of the album should have been tossed - it generally just wasn't that good. But the rest of the album is pretty good. Florian Ophale does a fantastic job at recreating Martin Barre's classic sound. The rest of the band did not, however, do so good of a job at recreating classic Tull sounds and feels. IMO, you can tell that they're out of their element.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

Words about IA's vocals

I completely agree. Up through Stormwatch, his vocals were still strong. But his adjustments he made (vocally and musically) worked, I think, in albums like Roots To Branches, and Nightcap.

But, as you mentioned, I don't want to cringe throughout live performances. Ian can't pull off TAAB(1) vocally. And from what I've seen on youtube, I'm not sure his band (Scott Hammond on drums in particular) could pull it off either. I'm very interested, though, to see what Scott H does with the drum solo at the beginning of the 2nd half of TAAB(1). Maybe once the tour starts, if youtube can show that it's worth it, I'll buy tickets. But I don't have confidence enough to just buy them automatically.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

nihil morari posted:

I don't like The Whirlwind. It has nothing that made their first two albums special.

Agreed. Also, Portnoy came right out and said the sole purpose of that song/album was to one-up PT's The Incident. I believe it was in an issue of Prog Magazine that he said that.

I really wanted to like A Dramatic Turn Of Events. The music wasn't half bad. But then I started paying attention to the lyrics. Maybe it's just because James LaBrie sounds whiny, but the lyrics, to me, sounded like they were written by a 14 year old girl.

I think Dream Theater has taken their sound as far as they can. Perhaps that happened with Train Of Thought (the last of their albums that I thoroughly enjoyed). I'm really excited, though, to hear Astra's new album, Storm Corrosion, and the new one from Gavin Harrison & 05ric.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

They've been that way for a while. A friend and I have a running joke which is just the line "EVERYONE SURVIVED" drawn out in an overly dramatic fashion (the reason for which has already been immortalized here - http://www.somethingawful.com/d/garbage-day/dream-theater-volta.php).

That review was perfect! The last Dream Theater album I actually liked was Train Of Thought. While the lyrics were still absolute crap, they were tolerable - overshadowed enough by the music, I suppose. And just like DT, Mars Volta are really good at releasing garbage.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

BjornOfBorg posted:

everyone should give Astra - The Weirding and Astra - The Black Chord a spin. Good modern prog band.

Astra is one of my favorite modern prog bands! I've been waiting for The Black Chord to show up in the mail for weeks! I ordered it on vinyl (like Yes and Pink Floyd, their album art practically requires that you purchase it on vinyl). But the records most likely weren't shipped out until May 3rd...

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Schizotek posted:

So, anyone else give Clockwork Angels a listen?
I was expecting the whole steampunk concept album to be hilariously cheesy, and maybe awesome. But it turned out way better than I was expecting, with only a handful of the songs having any heavy steampunk references in the lyrics. It's probably the only Rush album that's come out since I've been alive that I really enjoy (all the way through, that is). I'd compare it to the effect Iron Maiden's Brave New World album had.

e: Then again, there's a few albums between Moving Pictures and Clockwork Angels that I've never really given a hard listen. Twenty albums is alot, even for a devoted fan.

I'm letting Clockwork Angels digest a bit before I decide how much I like it. I like it a bit more each time I listen to it. There are some low points though that I'm disappointed with - like "The Garden". "Carnies" has an amazing opening riff that should have been focused on more. And I don't know why they even bothered to include "BU2B2"...As of right now, I don't think it's as good as Snakes And Arrows, or even Vapor Trails. But maybe in a few weeks Clockwork Angels will have endeared itself to me...

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Mellomeh posted:

He's got a live DVD/Blu-ray coming out shortly, and the video of Luminol has been released as a preview. It sounds astonishing.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/video-steven-wilson-luminol-live-from%20-mexico-city-556254

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about that song and how awesome it is! I pre-ordered the dvd a few weeks back and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

david puddy posted:

I'm not even sure what to think of a 15-disc set :psyduck:

I have no idea what they'll price that as, but I know I won't be able to afford it! :argh: I really want that though!! I'm one of those people who is obsessed with in-studio footage...so who knows, maybe I will spend an entire paycheck to get this. Then again, that's probably exactly what Bob Fripp is banking on...

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Gimmedaroot posted:

I pre-ordered that mega set. Its about $140 from Burning Shed, $120 from the US branch of DGM, but their service is notoriously bad/slow, so I got it from Burning Shed. There's gonna be lots of crazy improv jams with Jamie Muir, and I couldn't pass that up. That said, there will still be the cheaper $20 cd/dvd-a set for the casual fan/newbie.

Wow, I didn't even think to check Burning Shed for a pre-order. I that that blurb was implying that it wasn't available yet, and they were just teasing us! I just ordered it from Burning Shed as well - though I had to call my credit card company because they auto-red flagged my account because they counted this (rightly, I suppose) as an "unusual purchase". $140 is definitely worth it!

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Just got home from work - only to find Get All You Deserve waiting for me on the table. For some reason I could have sworn the release date was October 15...oh well. I'm not complaining!

It sounds really good so far. Marco's drumming on "No Twilight..." is really groovy, with the perfect amount of showy on top. Though that awesome bass riff isn't prominent enough in the mix until about the 5 minute mark. Prior to that, it sort of sounds like an improv off of King Crimson's The Great Deceiver box set.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Cory and Trevor posted:

Has anybody here listened to the Larks' Tongues 40th anniversary edition? I am especially curious about the alternate mixes done by Wilson. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (cd/dvda).

My copy arrived four days ago, and I've been slowing wading through it (I got the 15-disc box set edition). The new mixes by Steven Wilson are amazing. Everything comes through very clearly. They even included an isolated track of Jamie on Easy Money. It's pretty cool. Steven's mixes really let you hear exactly what everyone's doing. You'll have at least one "I never noticed that before" moment in every song. Next I'll be working my way through all the live shows.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
My copy of Octane Twisted arrived a couple days ago. I got the 2 cd/dvd set. It sounds great (though some parts did suffer from reduced layers of guitar). My favorite track, though, wasn't even one from The Incident. My favorite track from the set is Dislocated Day off of The Sky Moves Sideways. So I was very excited to pop in the dvd...only to discover it only includes the first set! I'm feeling a bit ripped off! Anyone else as disappointed as I am?

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

david puddy posted:

Nope. They made it pretty clear the DVD just has The Incident on it. Stars Die is the highlight for me, I've been waiting so long to hear a live version of that :allears: The only thing I'm disappointed about is how low John Wesley's vocals are in the mix, he's always a highlight in their live performances.

Ah. I guess I missed that in the description. :doh:
And yeah, John's vocals are terribly low - I think the only reason I can hear them on Your Unpleasant Family is because I know they're there.

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 27, 2012

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

BajaBurrito posted:

I admit this is a belated replay, but I think the biggest appeal of Selling England by the Pound is how instrumentally tight they are. It's easily the best they sounded on album during the Gabriel era and the musicianship is outstanding, even if it might not flow as well as their other albums on the whole.

I do think they perhaps surpassed this highwater mark as instrumentalists and arrangers on A Trick of the Tail, and as much as I love The Lamb (my personal fave) and appreciate Collins' efforts on Trick, I almost wish Trick was the followup to Selling England with Gabriel still on vocals - with probably better lyrics as a result. *That* would be easily regarded as their masterpiece and best starting point.

Why not just start with Trespass? It's their second album, and the first one available in the US. Everything about that album is beautiful. Collins and Hackett hadn't joined the group yet, but the drumming and guitar work (John Mayhew and Anthony Phillips, respectively) is still quite good. It's incredibly well-rounded melodically and lyrically. Though, to be fair, it was my introduction to Genesis, so there may be some bias there.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Cancelbot posted:

Just listened to Rush - Headlong Flight.

This is the same band that did Manhattan Project...

:psyduck:

I stopped listening after Hold Your Fire. But now I want more Clockwork Angels.

They definitely fell off the rails with Hold Your Fire. I'd even argue that Grace Under Pressure was their last really good album in the 80s. Presto was OK, as was Roll The Bones, but Counterparts is awesome. Start there. I'm still not completely sold on Clockwork Angels. I'd say it's 50% of a great album. Some of the tracks just seem (to me) to be tracks that just didn't make it onto Snakes & Arrows, musically, anyway.

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 7, 2012

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I love Test For Echo and Vapor Trails! There are soo many layers to the songs on Vapor Trails. I recently replaced my car stereo and put in VT, and there were overdubbed bass parts I'd never heard before (my last stereo was REALLY lovely). It was pretty awesome to have something new to appreciate about an album after 11 years...

And Test for Echo was the album I was raised on. I can't count the number of times I've watched the Work In Progress videos. The songwriting on TFE is spectacular, and the playing at each musician's peak.

Clockwork Angels is good, but it's only half the album Snakes and Arrows is. S & A was much more inventive and the songs were just better. I'm really hoping they change their sound with the next album. I just don't think they can do anything more with the style they've been doing.

Prog Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 7, 2012

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

It's a wonder you were able to distinguish any layers in Vapor Trails at all considering the whole album sounds like unusually loud mud. I remember there was some talk about an eventual remaster, but unfortunately nothing's come of it—it's a shame, because it might have been a great album if not for the awful production.

I've never had a problem with how it sounds - it does sound overly compressed, yes, but I've never had an issue hearing what's going on, musically and lyrically. I'd love to hear it remastered. It would sound incredible. But production doesn't matter all that much. The songs on the album are amazing.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
No matter what you think of Neil's lyrics on T4E, the music is awesome. And for anyone who's a musician, how can you NOT have fun playing to those tunes? Granted, Resist is pretty boring, but all the other songs are (musically, at least) fantastic.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
The Great Deceiver Box Set is amazing. It was my introduction to King Crimson (my local library, of all places, had it). It really showcases the peak musical ability of that lineup. It's got some of the best solos Fripp ever played, and We'll Let You Know and Providence were put on the albums Starless And Bible Black and Red, respectively.

If you haven't yet, go to their website, dgmlive.com, and check out the authorized bootlegs, taken from their soundboard. Their set from Nagoya, Japan, April 20, 2003 is amazing - possibly the best Pat Mastelotto has ever played.

Live in Udine, March 19, 1974 is also spectacular. It has my favorite version of Doctor Diamond, and a Wetton piece called Guts On My Side that is a...fun song. "Fun" being a term I never thought I'd use to describe King Crimson.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Just got a note in my email from Bass Player magazine that apparently Yes will be playing through some of their classic albums on tour:

"This year’s Bass Player Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Chris Squire will be hitting the road with Yes in 2013 to perform the band’s The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, and Going For the One albums in their entirety. YES, indeed!"

I wouldn't get too excited about this. Based on all the footage I've seen of them from 2003 onward, they can't play the classic stuff anymore. Chris and Alan just can't play anything to speed anymore, so they slow it down to half the speed it was on the record, and it becomes boring.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

sound like elevator jazz

That's pretty much exactly what it is. I listened to it twice after buying it, and was so bored with it that I just donated it to my local library. I was really disappointed that the union of such great musicians produced something so piddly.

I can agree with some of the griping about Adrian. My biggest gripe with him, though, is that he won't play any pre-discipline stuff if it isn't instrumental, because he didn't originally sing on it. KC could be doing so much more, but Adrian is just road block. Get rid of him, let him focus on his power trio, and replace him with someone who will let them dive deep into the back catalog!

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

Except it's never sounded like Fripp has wanted to play anything from back then, either, and even if KC is "a way of doing things" and not a band, there's not going to be anything coming out that says KC and not Projekct without him.

Of course there won't be any KC without Fripp. The reason I said that it was Adrian keeping them from playing older songs was a saw a Fripp interview last year wherein Fripp explicitly stated he'd like to bust out the older material (if I remember correctly, he explicitly mentioned "something like Lizard"), but the present band was preventing that from happening...

But I can't seem to find it. I think a link to it was on the DGM website, but I don't much feel like weeding through all the posts for the last 22 months to try and find it.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Overall, I'd say it's much better. The concept is stupid and there are a couple of stinkers, but a couple of outstanding tracks, too. I find S&A to be incredibly boring, though. I'm sorta in the minority there.

I have the reverse opinion. I will agree that there are a couple outstanding tracks on Clockwork Angels, but the songs on Snakes & Arrows are consistently great, and the lyrics are much better - especially if they're in the context of stand-alone tracks. The chorus of "Clockwork Angels" is snigger-worthy, at the least.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I went to the Gavin Harrison drum clinic in Chicago last night. It was absolutely fantastic! That man is amazing. But, to add some substance to this, he mentioned that he is currently working on a Big Band record that, based on what he played last night, will be mostly arrangements of Porcupine Tree tunes. Included will be: Futile, Start of Something Beautiful, and a giant medley (he refused to say the songs that were involved, but I think I heard Anesthetize, and a few songs off of In Absentia...

I can't wait to hear more about this!!

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
Awesome, I'll definitely have to check out that interview.

I finally got around to listening to Diagonal's new album, "The Second Mechanism" (ordered it in December, didn't get it at my door until a couple days ago). I really enjoyed it. It's not as intense as their debut, but it's very easy to listen to - even with non-prog people around. I like the new singer, even if he only got to sing about a minute worth of vocals. And they didn't disappoint with crazy time signatures (or a phrasing with multiple time signatures) that took me a minute to work my mind around. I wouldn't say it's as good as their debut, but it's a very solid follow up.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

...which bandmates would these be? This is news to me.

As far as I could find on the internet, it's just Roy Estrada. The only other Zappa band member I could find serving time was Jim Gordon, who killed his mother in 1983 after developing schizophrenia...

And Utopia is pretty good. My favorite record of theirs is the live one, "Another Live". Definitely check that one out.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
I'm all for having tons of drums in stuff, but three drummers? That seems a bit overboard. I saw King Crimson in 2008 with Gavin and Pat and that was awesome. I just don't see for what they could possibly need a third drummer, other than a version of B'Boom with the three of them. Maybe this lineup will focus heavily on the stuff from LTIA and Thrak...

But hearing the Mel Collins is back...I second the need for A Sailor's Tale. Perhaps bring back the Ian Wallace solo in the middle but with the three of them? Oh! The Letters! That would be sick!

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Edit: Somewhat related but what's good if I really like ICOTCK?

Try their second album, In The Wake Of Poseidon. It's pretty much ITCOTCK but with more songs. Lizard is great as well. The title track has some killer mellotron. And the opening track, Cirkus, is all about Mellotron.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

So payday is here and I was thinking of ordering some CDs that I can't find at iTunes or my local record store. Any thoughts? As in, are any selections outstandingly better than others? Any stinkers in the list?

I'd pass on Rock Bottom. It's actually pretty awful.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

In the list of odder things I've done I am currently discussing doing a barbershop quartet with Tony Levin next fall. Any advice on KC songs that might work as 4 part harmony welcome!

Coming soon: Sing Crimson Quartet

Starless would be great!
One More Red Nightmare
Epitaph
Cat Food
the "Prince Rupert Awakes" section of Lizard

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

Have they ever done the whole thing live?

As far as I'm aware, no. The line-up that recorded Lizard never actually toured. It fell apart too quickly. Robert Fripp said of the line-up that King Crimson was "an unfair opportunity" for the others because they were too good to have been in the band.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

david puddy posted:

I wish they'd been able to keep Boz Burrell for longer than 1 album.

Boz wouldn't have stayed for any longer than he did. He said in an interview for VH1 Behind The Music: Bad Company that Crimson's lyrics were lovely and pissed him off, and he disliked being in a band with such lyrics. But, if that weren't the case, having Boz sing and Wetton play bass would have been so incredible!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010
My copy of Zappa's Roxy By Proxy arrived today. It's both an exciting and somewhat disappointing experience. It's exciting because - well, the '74 lineup of the Mothers was amazing, and hearing them play is a gas. But he disappointment is the very conspicuous absence of Montana (though Ruth and Tom play a bit of the vocal line in the middle of Dupree's Paradise..., Pygmy Twylyte, More Trouble Every Day, and Be-Bop Tango, and when you realize just how much of Roxy & Elsewhere was studio overdubs. Roxy By Proxy is completely raw - the live show with no touch-ups - and they did use the opposite night's recordings from the ones on R&E. So at first, the songs on RBP seem like demo versions. I've only listened to it one time through, but I can tell already that this is going to be one of those albums that I'll pick up on more and more things each time I listen to it.

The tracklist:

"Carved In The Rock" (band intros, and Inca Roads intro)
Inca Roads
Penguin In Bondage
T'Mershi Duween
Dog Breath Variations/Uncle Meat
RDNZL
Village of the Sun
Echidna's Arf (Of You)
Don't You Ever Wash That Thing
Cheepnis - Percussion
Cheepnis
Dupree's Paradise
King Kong/Chunga's Revenge/Mr Green Genes