Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Scale the Summit leaked (it also comes out in 5 days), and it's incredible so far. I'm not usually much for wanky instrumental stuff, but they've really come into their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Am I the only one that's not feeling Coal? I just listened through it and struggled to pay attention.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only cruise where nobody gets laid.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

King Crimson being reactivated (I know Fripp considers it "a way of doing things") is cool but they kind lost me after their 80s lineup. I'll see them anyway because Robert Fripp is awesome.

Edit: Somewhat related but what's good if I really like ICOTCK? The only band I think of that was that mellotron heavy was The Moody Blues and I guess Porcupine Tree to some extent but I'm a bad prog fan and never got too into them though I get the appeal.
You might like Van Der Graaf Generator.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There's an Eloy review somewhere on RateYourMusic that calls them "vagina repellent" and it seems incredibly accurate.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

^^The Missing Piece? Ewww

Firmly pro but I know lots of people who hate it (keyboard washes on Fountain of Salmacis are cheesy, what is going on with Harold the Barrel, Giant Hogweed is repetitive, etc.)

Nursery Cryme is my favorite Genesis album. Steve Hackett is at his best on it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

It reminds me a lot of King Crimson in parts which is a surefire path straight to my heart :h:

E: Other modern albums I dig that are "arguably prog" (but might fall into math rock or post-hardcore or w/e):

Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats
Emarosa - Emarosa
Tides of Man - Dreamhouse
Gatsbys American Dream - Gatsbys American Dream

Have you ever listened to BATS? They're a very strange math rock/post-hardcore outfit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are there any great American prog rock bands? It just dawned on me that I can't think of any. The genre's heyday was almost entirely British. Canada has Rush. Germany and Italy have some stuff. We have progressive metal down pretty well, but besides like, Tool (who aren't really the same style), are there any notable bands to come out of the States? Just curious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

alnilam posted:

Does Mahavishnu count, or are they more jazz?

They're jazz fusion.

Rollersnake posted:

(Could be worse—up until a couple years ago, I thought Jimi Hendrix was British.)
To be fair, he was more successful in the UK and the other members of the Experience are British.

The Mars Volta are indeed very good. Forgot about them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks, guys. That's a lot more than I anticipated.

On a different note, has anyone tried the Flaming Lips' companion album to Dark Side of the Moon yet? I'm not a Lips fan but I'm listening to it with Dark Side right now and it's pretty cool. Don't really care about the Wizard of Oz part but this is a lot more interesting than Coyne's other recent experiments.

http://www.stereogum.com/1672526/st...s/album-stream/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In that vein, I did a triple take when I was listening to Gentle Giant's debut and realized that Funny Ways was sampled on Madvillainy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
On an unrelated note, anyone who wants some Mars Volta wannabe action might want to check out the new Closure in Moscow album. They used to be more on the post-hardcore/alt rock end of the spectrum with as many obvious Fall of Troy/Coheed influences as TMV, but they've gone full prog now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don't even like Kanye and I was excited to hear Power when it came out. Then I realized he doesn't use the main riff or even the verses, which could be used to great effect with a good beat. Why bother?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I posted about it on the last page but nobody said anything. I liked First Temple more. This attempt to go full on TMV was alright but I'd rather just listen to De-Loused.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

feraltennisprodigy posted:

If I'm looking for something that's kinda similar to the early Genesis albums (Foxtrot, Trespass and Nursery Cryme) are there any obvious bands I should check out?

(As far as prog bands go I already have King Crimson, Emerson/Lake/Palmer, Yes, Jethro Thull in my playlist)

The whole neo-prog movement always struck me as way more like Genesis than anything else (although not as good). Marillion are probably the most obvious one from there.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have absolutely zero expectations for the new "Pink Floyd" album or any interest in new Yes material, although I might see them with my dad just because we have cheap lawn seat vouchers and it's five minutes from home.

Today I listened to Los Jaivas' "Alturas de Macchu Picchu," which I had never heard of before, and it ruled. Anybody else a fan?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Themistocles posted:

So, Phish aside, who wants to talk about Camel?

Camel is definitely not getting enough love. The only Camel album my local record store had on hand for quite some time was Rain Dances. Rain Dances is a phenomenal album. Tough to describe: maybe a more "focused/compressed" Another Green World? Eno pulled to Earth?

A recent trip to the store and I returned with Mirage in hand. Another great grab – Mirage is somewhere throttling between Gabriel Genesis and Rush. Dragons on one side, more traditional rock riffs on the other. Curiously, no "cigarette" cover for me...

And of course I get back to the lab and there's no Mirage to speak of on iTunes. So I download The Snow Goose. Four days later I'm still drinking it in. Will I read the book? Probably not...I've already felt Dunkirk thanks to Andrew Latimer and the crew.

So, pretty much that. I need to complete my Camel discography. In the meantime: thoughts? Maybe time to discuss some more second-stringers from the "golden" era?

Camel have never really grabbed me. I like parts of Moonmadness and Mirage (moreso the former) but find them forgettable. My second-tier classic prog band of choice is Gentle Giant.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody seen Yes in their current incarnation? I have cheap lawn seat vouchers that I figured my dad and I might use if we were bored next week, but I checked setlist.fm and apparently they're playing all of Close to the Edge and Fragile. Just one song from the new album. I'm suddenly much more intrigued.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The new Opeth album is out there (it fits much more in this thread than the metal thread). So far I'm enjoying it more than Heritage, which was a bit of a snoozer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know we're all ripping on the new Yes but I just got back from seeing them and they were great for a bunch of old dudes (Steve Howe looks like the Crypt Keeper or the picture of Dorian Grey). It helps that they had a pretty much unbeatable setlist:

Close to the Edge in its entirety (reverse track order)
Believe Again (not that bad)
Fragile in its entirety
---
I've Seen All Good People
Starship Trooper

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes, they really play Cans and Brahms, We Have Heaven (which actually sounds much better live), Five Per Cent For Nothing, The Fish and Mood For a Day.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I just want to chime in my newfound love of prog (facilitated by Yes albums, specifically Fragile and In the Court of the Crimson King). So far I think I have to say my favorite tracks are Tarkus/Supper's Ready. Such rich music and I feel profoundly lucky to be able to experience it.
Uh...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It is, but Opeth are also much better at the "growling/death metal crap" than at prog rock. It's better than Heritage, though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They were never really a death metal band in the first place, but they had a pretty amazing streak.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
NeO owns but I don't think they're all that similar. Their influences lean way more toward black metal and they've got that whole violin thing going.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Steven Wilson US Dates: https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net...70d&oe=5569E86A

Outside of Chicago (we get him twice!) and Madison, the Midwest and South are being typically ignored.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

So what are the good Marillion albums? I have Misplaced Childhood and I just find it kind of ugh. Even worse, I think it's one of those itunes deluxe albums with multiple extended versions of Kayleigh :barf:

I hear the first album is decent. Any other recommendations?

Clutching at Straws is pretty good IIRC

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody listen to the new Beardfish yet?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Porcupine Tree did some good stuff in the 90s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

There is a certain irony in music labeled as progressive having a not inconsiderable fanbase that only listens to it if there's guitars

I always heard/thought of the progressive label as referring to the song structure, not any actual innovation.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Big Big Train, Renaissance, Pure Reason Revolution, Flying Colors, [b]Maudlin of the Well,[b] Oblivion Sun, Squackett.
On like five songs maybe.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, I must have been thinking of something else. Admittedly the only album I have by them is Part The Second. The album cover is pretty pastoral, though :downs:

Even that is a very, very far cry from Asia.

Also what are you doing get all of their albums this instant

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes are touring again this summer. Wiiiiiith...Toto.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm listening to the weird album Terry Bozzio and Billy Sheehan did together, so I just looked up Bozzio and found out that he played drums on a KoRn album. I need somewhere to express my disbelief and confusion.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Noise Machine posted:

Both John Wetton and Geoff Downes have tweeted this morning that Chris Squire passed away. Nothing official yet, but it doesn't look good.

Well I imagine they wouldn't tweet it if they hadn't heard :smith:
Chris Squire is one of my favorite bass players of all time and one of the biggest influences on my playing. I'm glad I at least saw him with Yes last year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Those are some prog-rear end names for a couple of those children.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Let me be the first to say that Traffic are loving awful

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fates Warning

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Y2J posted:

So what do people think of the new Dream Theater album The Astonishing?

They're playing 2 nights in LA and performing the album start to finish every show on the tour.

I've never laughed harder while listening to music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like most Dream Theater but recently they slid into boring and then fell off a cliff with the Astonishing