Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mithra6 posted:

Holy poo poo I just got the remasters to "In the Court of the Crimson King", "In the Wake of Poseidon", "Lizard", and "Starless and Bible Black". I haven't heard Starless yet.

These really sound AMAZING. You have to understand - I've been listening to these since I was a kid in the 70s. I was a weird kid. These sound better than than they ever have. "Lizard" as was mentioned here earlier is really striking. It has a lot more "presence" to it. The vocals are clearer than they've ever sounded. For some reason I was also struck by the drums in "21st Century Schizoid Man" and the background woodwinds in "I Talk to the Wind".

I thought the 30th Anniversary editions sounded good, but the new ones make those sound like poo poo. It's like I've been listening to them underwater for decades, and now I can hear what they really sound like.

I don't usually make a big deal about a lot of remasters, but these are something else.

The only version of Lizard I've heard is the newest remaster so I kept wondering why everyone seemed to hate it so much. Now I know why. Well, that and I guess Gordon Haskell wasn't the greatest singer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
He sang lead on "More Fool Me" and I think had some vocal parts on at least one other song.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Decided to give Renaissance a listen today. Considering how much I love British folk rock like The Pentangle and Fairport Convention I'm surprised I hadn't listened to them sooner.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think it says a lot about TFTO that even Rick Wakeman thought it was pretentious.

I'm kind of surprised to see all the love for Relayer. I like parts of "Gates of Delirium" but the album is way too dense for my liking. I don't mind dense when it's King Crimson doing it but it just seems off to me when Yes is doing it.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
King Crimson being reactivated (I know Fripp considers it "a way of doing things") is cool but they kind lost me after their 80s lineup. I'll see them anyway because Robert Fripp is awesome.

Edit: Somewhat related but what's good if I really like ICOTCK? The only band I think of that was that mellotron heavy was The Moody Blues and I guess Porcupine Tree to some extent but I'm a bad prog fan and never got too into them though I get the appeal.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've already got the other KC albums through Three of a Perfect Pair and I love Genesis but Van Der Graaf and the others slipped under my radar somehow.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I agree. The other one is alright but In The Land of Pink and Grey is phenomenal.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Earwicker posted:

I will probably catch flak itt for saying this but IMO several of the early Jethro Tull albums have a certain amount of "heart" I guess I'd say that is really lacking on the albums of their prog contemporaries. I mean I love just about every late 60's/early 70's prog album that is out there, but there is something just so warm and beautiful and sad in a song like Wondring Aloud that I have never found in other prog rock from that period

It's not just the words and "woodier" arrangements but more Ian Anderson's whole style of singing and presence in the songs, it makes the vocals in Yes and Genesis seem so distant and aloof in comparison.

I agree with you but then I prefer the British folk-rock sound Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Richard Thompson, etc. had going on to a lot of prog rock. :ohdear: I think both scenes were kinda shooting for the same goal but had different source material they were inspired by.

Shark Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 4, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

Also has there been any sort of resurgence in this really tasteful genre?

I think the genre is less frowned upon now (even pitchfork gave a reissue of Close to the Edge 9/10 a while back) but I don't think the golden age of prog sound is going to come back like post-punk did anytime soon. Though the way I see it 70s prog was a specific style from a specific time but progressive rock lives on in any band that pushes the envelope. Rehashing marrying Romantic composers to rock ad nauseum isn't, well, progressive.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A human heart posted:

The problem with just listing the canon bands is that like half of them aren't very good. Like you could be listening to some weirdo italian crap or some krautrock and it would be better than ELP or Pink Floyd for instance.

I know Pink Floyd is a little overrated but kinda mean to lump them in with ELP

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's no Close to the Edge but it's better than Relayer and Tales IMO. Drama was surprisingly decent for what it was though.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Woolie Wool posted:

E 2: A symphonic prog band fronted by Ronnie James Dio would have been really cool.

If "Stargazer" by Rainbow is any indication it would've been pretty loving great.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I feel like outside of the first album I like King Crimson on an intellectual level more than an emotional level if that makes any sense

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I mean Drama is underrated but Going for the One is pretty great. I think the production is a little off and I guess in retrospect you get the vague sense something as horrible as Tormato is lurking around the corner but I play it more than Relayer and Tales.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm not an ELP fan but I was wayyy more into classic rock than modern music growing up so seeing the old guard all dying off is just a world class bummer. Plus The Nice were pretty decent.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Cozy Powell is a big reason why I like Rainbow Rising so much

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Porcupine Tree is okay but sometimes they just come across as boring Radiohead to me.

I was a Dream Theater fan in high school and it's one of the only bands I wince about being into.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Vulture Culture posted:

I remember when Daniel Gildenlow pulled this poo poo with Pain of Salvation, then reversed course when Obama came into office and changed zero of the policies he was complaining about

I remember back when I used to post on the Dream Theater forums (which got closed because no one there actually liked DT much anymore) Pain of Salvation was always getting praise but the only album I found in the music store was Be...

I am not a Pain of Salvation fan.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Earwicker posted:

I agree in that I love some of Yes' and Genesis' actual straight up pop songs as well as some solo Phil Collins tunes. but personally I can't stomach the AWBH stuff, not because it's poppy but because it's just so overwhelmingly saccharine.

I can see being into it if you hear it as a kid though. I have a huge love for a certain Alan Parsons Project album that I feel like has aged really terribly and probably just sound like Bad Music to most people but I have a lot of sentimental attachment to it

I dunno I think The Turn of a Friendly Card and Eye in the Sky are decent enough albums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm starting to think Van der Graaf Generator is secretly the best prog band. Or at least Peter Hammill is secretly the best prog musician. Even though it's proggy in places I can't believe the person who wrote Over also wrote H to He, Who Am the Only One.