Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I love the poo poo out of Porcupine Tree. I just wish some of their stuff wasn't so rare. I would love a physical copy of the Futile EP, but I guess I just have to settle that they sell it as FLAC files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Apparently Mikal Akerfeldt and Steven Wilson are going to have a side project album.

quote:

Mikael Akerfeldt has given out some more information regarding his highly anticipated collaboration record with Steven Wilson, titled ‘Storm Corrosion’. I’ve collated his main points into bullet points below, so read on to find out what he had to say! Most of the new information is taken from a recent interview with Linea Rock, which you can watch below.

There will be 6 tracks on the album
Each song will be over 10 minutes long (yep, it’s definitely a prog record!)
Lots of orchestration
Some tracks will be beautiful, while others will be disturbing (similar contrast between ‘Postcard’ and ‘Index’ on Grace for Drowning)
It will be released in April 2012 on Roadrunner Records
It will not sound like Porcupine Tree or Opeth
Steven Wilson – vocals, keyboards
Mikael Akerfeldt – guitars, vocals
The record has no drums on it, usually has a guitar keeping the beat

http://starsdie.com/wp/mikael-akerfeldt-talks-about-storm-corrosion/

Seriously all sorts of excited for this. Especially curious to hear how it will be without drums.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Seventh Arrow posted:

So please, feel free to suggest awesome modern prog stuff that I can add to my iTunes wishlist!

Theres been a lot of suggestions, but heres a few more.

When looking into Porcupine Tree, make sure you delve into the early years as well as the "band" years. Metanoia, The Sky Moves Sideways, Up The Downstairs, and Voyage 34 cover Steven Wilson pretty much on his own, and are each amazing odes to Pink Floyd inspired psychadelic. The later albums are Lightbulb Sun, Stupid Dream, In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet, and The Incident. The differences between the early and later years are night and day, and each phase of the band deserves listening.

If you like the later years, try looking into Demians, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside, Frost*, indukti, and kinda-sorta-proggy Katatonia and Anathema. (some of this has been mentioned already, just seconding it all)

I admittedly don't know much metal, but for quite some time Pain of Salvation were viewed as great up and comers, releasing a handful of really good concept albums, then they sort jumped the shark. Beardfish is gaining a lot of traction - especially their last two albums, which are this sort of Stoner / Sludge / Prog. Goons seem to love Haken, but I don't get it.

If you like droning soundscapes and vocals, try Oceansize.

And one of my favorites which literally nobody listens to but I have to plug, Pure Reason Revolution. Their earlier stuff was a lot more proggy, then more and more electronica crept in, then they broke up :(

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

david puddy posted:

Porcupine Tree fans, the new reprint of Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape is up for pre-order at the Headphone Dust mail order site. Some of the music on this release is so good :allears:

Is this the only place it will be available from?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Pure Reason Revolution

Theres a pretty rare (1000 copies?) EP called "Victorious Cupid" that was released in a magazine or something that only has 4 songs, but it has the first (and my favorite) version of Victorious Cupid, a remix of it, and acoustic versions of The Intention Craft and Nimos & Tambos. It is by far my favorite thing of theirs. I got really lucky and got a copy on ebay.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I'm exploring Jethro Tull and just picked up the Steven Wilson mix / 40th anniversary edition of Aqualung. I don't know if the original recording was just really good, or if Steven did his voodoo again, but for a 40 year old album, it certainly doesn't sound dated.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Steven Wilson has an album coming out on the 18th, and if this song is any indication, it seems like he is taking a departure from his moody brooding. I like this Steven Wilson. I really, really hope the whole album is like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gryiltJo0

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Ten years ago (plus a few days because I got busy), Porpupine Tree released what would be their last studio album on September 14, 2009. No announcements were made that it would be the last, there was few indications until the very end that things were winding down. After 22 years, Porcupine Tree was finished.

My favorite releases are the live EP We Lost the Skyline, along with the album Fear of a Blank Planet and its companion EP, Nil Recurring.

If you've not listened to Porcupine Tree, give them a chance. Their early career spans psychedelic space rock with Steven Wilson more or less doing it solo; their middle career when they become a proper band is probably their most optimistic and at times almost happy music; and their late career introduces soul crushing themes together with an infatuation with metal.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

The middle period was shortest, with three studio albums.

Signify (1996) is the first real album as a full band, but it still has a lot of trappings of the older psychadelic era.

Stupid Dream (1999) followed shortly by Lightbulb Sun (2000) are the true marks of the middle era. Both albums are extremely similar to each other. Some of these choices are personal choices, and I'm sure other people will have their own favorites but in general highlights from Stupid Dream include Piano Lessons, Pure Narcotic, and Stranger By the Minute. Highlights for Lightbulb Sun include the title song, Shesmovedon, and The Rest Will Flow. This isn't to say there aren't other good songs on each album, but those are good choices to start with.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I was wondering what this was going to be like since as far as I know it's only Jon and Chloe returning, but I'm really into this.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

tote up a bags posted:

I can't believe I get to post this in 2020, but Pure Reason Revolution's album just dropped and it's really, really good.

I know this is a full length album but it absolutely flies by every time I put it on and it feels like an EP. I'm really happy they are back.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third is getting a remaster. If you haven't experienced that gem, or missed the bonus tracks that came on the European release, I can't recommend it enough.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Myrmidongs posted:

Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third is getting a remaster. If you haven't experienced that gem, or missed the bonus tracks that came on the European release, I can't recommend it enough.

Following up on this post, I finally got the new edition in the mail. Full disclose, this is easily one of my favorite albums, period. I will enjoy it no matter what. I've bought a fair amount of remasters leaving me scratching my head if if my ears are just not capable of hearing something other people can, because they sound nigh indistinguishable from their original. That is absolutely not the case here. Every single layer has a lot more clarity. There's a lot less muddyness to the overall mix. Percussion has a nice snap to it. The lyrics are easier to piece together into their insane dream poetry. Other particular things I really appreciate - the high frequencies of string sections have been pulled back during the more intense parts in songs like The Bright Ambassadors of Morning, and The Twyncyn / Trembling Willows. The result is a much less harsh, much better experience overall.This is the definitive edition of this album and fully retires the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

If you wanted one and missed out, the official Steven Wilson website store has a few of the 3 disc boxset again.

https://store.stevenwilsonhq.com/product/120567