Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
I mostly lurk on SA nowadays but I just wanted to drop this small preview of an instrumental prog-metal song I've been working on for the past couple years. It's only a 90 second teaser of a 10+ minute song but I'm really itching to get some feedback. I'm in a two man project with my best friend and we play drums and guitar respectively, for this track we hired Derek Sherinian on keyboards and Conner Green from Haken for bass, and the finished version is to be mixed and mastered by the great Jens Bogren. Really hoping you guys enjoy it and don't hesitate to give any feedback/criticism!

Meroda - Nonzero Entity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
Really appreciate it! There's definitely "proggier" parts later in the song but at its heart it's still a metal song through and through.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011

BigFactory posted:

So how much direction did you give to Derek Sherinian? Was it fully written out? Did he collaborate with you on his part? Did you just tell him to do his thing?

We wrote the entire song in Guitar Pro before actually recording so having all the instruments notated and being able to provide sheet music + a midi track made it very easy to get across what we wanted him to play, although at the end of the day it really was just a "do what you think sounds good" thing and he just used our parts as a reference. It really was fascinating how quickly he learned and recorded the parts in literally a single afternoon, really wasn't expecting him to learn all the guitar solos on keyboards either, but hey now we have some crazy unison parts. He definitely strikes me as someone who's VERY busy but it was really enjoyable to work with him. Conner was a great dude too, I felt pretty honored that these esteemed musicians actually want to play anything I wrote haha. I'll definitely be posting the finished version when it's ready, and once again I appreciate the interest even if it's not everyone's cup of tea!

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
Hey speaking of Haken, I finally got around to releasing the full track I posted an excerpt from a while back ft. Conner Green of Haken on bass and Derek Sherinian on keyboards. This was supposed to be a lot more, we had a whole album written but unfortunately I had a falling out with my co-writer so this is likely the only song that will make the light of day. Hope ya guys enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RauDyTXnI_U