Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

The new Yes album comes out today in the US. I had it pre-ordered, and I'm listening to it right now. I've got to say, I'm digging it so far. I think Benoit David really holds his own on this, even if he kind of sounds a bit too much like Trevor Horn sometimes.

Has anyone else given it a listen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

From the samples of the other songs I've heard, it doesn't sound like the album gets any better. It all sounds very..."weak" is the only word that comes to mind. There's just no real power to the music, and that's a real shame compared to Yes in their prime.

I can usually find something neat about every other Yes album, and that might be true for this one, but I'll take my chances and give this a miss.

On a slightly related note, I've come to realize that my favorite kind of prog has an intense sound, with jazz influences being a bonus. I'm thinking of stuff like Van Der Graff Generator, King Crimson's jazzier instrumental sections and Red, and Yes's Relayer, especially Sound Chaser. What bands or musicians should I be looking into to get deeper into that kind of sound?