Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Anyone been to see Yes yet? Tour started, like, a week ago, so I figured I'd ask.

Never seen 'em live, wondering if it's actually worth a 5-hour trip. I basically expect to hear something that sounds like a reasonable facsimile, at probably 80% of the speed, and so I'm leaning towards not going. If the setlist wasn't three of their best albums, I'd already have ruled it out... but, you know, I'm a sucker. How's the new vocalist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gianthogweed posted:

I am considering checking out Yes this year as well, since the albums they're touring are some of my favorites as well. I'm not expecting the intro to close to the edge to be as fast as they used to play it, but I'm expecting them to at least match what they were able to do in the studio on everything else. I think they can still put on a show worth seeing.
This was a hell of a post. I think you've sold me on going, if I can find a ride - I'm in Pittsburgh and they're not coming closer than Bethlehem, on a Sunday night, and I'd rather not miss class Monday.

So, uh, completely unrelated question I guess. How the heck would I go about doing that?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Henchman of Santa posted:

I know we're all ripping on the new Yes but I just got back from seeing them and they were great for a bunch of old dudes (Steve Howe looks like the Crypt Keeper or the picture of Dorian Grey). It helps that they had a pretty much unbeatable setlist:

Close to the Edge in its entirety (reverse track order)
Believe Again (not that bad)
Fragile in its entirety
---
I've Seen All Good People
Starship Trooper
Man, you only had to put up with one new song? They did two last Sunday, and Owner of a Lonely Heart instead of Starship Trooper. Was still a drat good show, though. Davison continues to impress me, even if he's not the "real deal".

(Also, I don't care what logic says, it isn't all of Fragile if it doesn't have the ten-minute cover of America from the 2003 version.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Relayer came! Haven't had time to listen yet, but I'll edit my impressions in when I do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pinacotheca posted:

Anybody have any impressions of this yet? I've heard some of the battle effects from Gates weren't found on the master tapes, so they're missing from the new mix.
That's true. They even talk about it in the included notes. Couldn't find them anywhere. It's kind of a notable omission, but it doesn't really ruin it, it's just different, you know? If I hadn't heard it with the sounds I wouldn't know there was anything missing, because it still sounds good, but having heard it with the sounds I can't not miss them.

The rest sounds better, although not incredibly much so. It sounds crisper around the edges, a lot better defined, and a bit... warmer? I'm no audiophile, so I can't give a nice technical review, I'm sorry!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Got my copy of the new VDGG live album, Merlin Atmos, a few days ago. It's really good. I was kind of skeptical that they'd sound good, since they're getting up there in years, but they... just kinda do. It's definitely a different sound from the album versions - they don't go nearly as hard on the instrumentals, and they're a little slower - but the changes are not always to their detriment, and Peter Hammill still has his voice. Man, does he ever still have his voice. Not going crazy in some spots makes it a lot more emotional, to me at least. I really like it.

Would love a US tour again, since I missed the last one (which was the only one in ages), but I'll settle for this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Earwicker posted:

ok maybe I've been out of the loop on Fripp for a while, is there a reason he is only playing in venues that are churches?
I assume it's just because they're small?

I haven't been following Fripp either, I'm in Madison, should I go?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sir Lemming posted:

Honestly I think​ it's basically this. Anything "nerdy" (which prog unquestionably is) is always more readily associated with males than females. Hard to say exactly where the perception comes from, and it is beginning to change, but it's clearly there.
All I know is, I've made the same joke at a Magic tournament and a Rush concert about how those are the only two places I've ever been where the men's room line is longer than the women's room line, and I've gotten emphatic agreement each time.

The singular of anecdote is data, right?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Milwaukee the Sunday after Thanksgiving? Nice, I missed them last month because I was out of town but that's a reasonable drive.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vargatron posted:

I think the most lyrically concise song by Yes is Turn of the Century, partly because you can actually understand the narrative. Going for the One is a pretty underrated Yes album and I really do enjoy it.
I only really liked Awaken off of it before I saw that live tour that a few years back, but that got me relistening to it and realizing that every track on it was at least solid and most of them were actively good. Definitely agree with you that it's underrated.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Neurosis posted:

edit: though on reflection given they reunited seven years ago and said they were working on a new album three or four years ago, this potential new album might be in the same vein as shadow gallery's new album, or the one green carnation said they were writing when they reunited a few years ago, there only as a mirage designed to taunt me.
There's always hope - The Avalanches put out their first album in 2000 and their second album in 2016 while making vague noises about it in all the interim years.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I kinda assumed that Mike Oldfield just stopped making good music
Hideo Kojima didn't think so :colbert:

(this post mostly serves to highlight that unexpected musical juxtaposition, a la "jesus christ the guy from deep purple sang this")

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This owns, is Solstice a good game (I am assuming not)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Holy poo poo, he's also the Plok music guy? That... makes sense now that I use my brain to think about it.

Prog thread owns. Also VDGG owns and Peter Hammill should come to the US again so I can see him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Sourdough Sam posted:

There are a handful of songs I have no problem skipping every time. "Counting Out Time" being the repeat offender
something something he only lasts fifty-two seconds or however long it was

(is that song actually autobiographical because I don't want to Google it and spoil the hope that it is)