Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Haraksha posted:

Once I've grown tired of "In the Court", where should I look next?
I think a good place to start would be early Genesis like Trespass, Nursery Cryme, or Foxtrot. This stuff is light-years away from the poppy Genesis of the 80's. Trespass is more pastoral but full of intertwining 12-sting guitarwork. Foxtrot is a Mellotron-lover's wet dream and contains Supper's Ready, which is one of the must-hear side-long compositions that helped define the genre. If you can snag the remasters that come with DVDs, the surround mixes are excellent.

Other albums from the period I'd recommend are Close to the Edge by Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator's H to He Who Am The Only One, Mirage by Camel, and Nektar - Remember the Future. I feel like I should mention Emerson, Lake & Palmer, but only side one from Tarkus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Gentle Giant fans: I have everything from their first album through Free Hand. Should I quit while they were ahead? I've heard they tried for a poppier, more commercial sound near the end so I've stayed away from their last four albums.

Haraksha posted:

Not that Wikipedia is anything to go by, but ELP are supposed to have several highly acclaimed albums. Why do you only recommend half of Tarkus?
There are a couple of songs on the other side of the album I like such as A Time And A Place and Bitches Crystal, but the jokey stuff like Jeremy Bender and Are You Ready, Eddy sully the album as a whole. The Only Way (Hymn) is pretty good but the part of the lyrics that goes "Can you believe God makes you breathe?/Why did he lose six million Jews?" makes me roll my eyes every single time I hear it.

Trilogy has some fairly good stuff on it as well, but in addition to the goofy ragtime songs, the album gets bogged down in goofy classical arrangements like Aaron Copeland's Hoedown and Abbadon's Bolero.

E,L&P is somewhat of a paradox to me: they are three of the most talented musicians of the time, but it seems I like only about a tenth of their material. Take a listen to Works some time if you have a strong stomach.

I've recently heard a German band from the same period called Triumvirat that has enough E,L&P influence to be probably be labeled a clone. Nearly everything I've heard from Spartacus or Illusions on a Double Dimple have blown me away. Check this out for a taste.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Misogynist posted:

I think you're better off starting with the performance art piece of their live music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQOll7LDTc
Great stuff. I'm not usually in the right frame of mind to listen to those guys but that looks like a drat fun concert.

starless posted:

This is up on Youtube here.
The first minute of this is priceless. I'll have to watch the rest of this later, but holy poo poo!

In other news, check out the title track from the new Big Big Train album here. Nick D'Virgillio from Spock's Beard and Jem Godfrey of *Frost guest on it. I'd say it's almost up there with Thick As A Brick as far as sidelong epics go.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

If you don't mind me plugging my wares, I have some Sunday night radio shows you may be interested in.

I do a weekly prog show called the Eleventh Hour, and I've recently expanded into the hour before it with Go Long starting at 10:00 PM. Go Long is leaning more towards the deep cuts of classic rock but I usually throw in a 20 minute plus epic like Tarkus or Supper's Ready. The Eleventh Hour is a mix of prog-rock and metal with some art-rock and the occasional zeuhl.

Go Long will have Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa, and Roine Stolt starting in a few minutes. I'll have everything from Rush to the new Ihsahn on The Eleventh Hour (at 11:00 PM ET), as well as stuff like The Tea Party, IQ, and Riverside.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

HereticSenility posted:

I've been really into Beardfish lately.
Other than their messed up Christmas song, I've only heard their Sleeping In Traffic albums. The atmosphere of part one blew me away but I found most of the stuff on part two to be too jokey and it didn't stick with me. Most of the title track is amazing except for the Beegees parody and stuff with the singing pirates. I will say that The Hunter is a great track.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I think Dinosaur is my favorite track from Thrak. I made the mistake getting THRaKaTTaK as my second King Crimson album, not realizing it was a bunch of improv jamming with way too many weird musicians. Here's an example of what what would sound like.

I'm stoked to be seeing Porcupine Tree tonight. Has anyone caught this tour? I have a feeling they'll probably be playing most if not all of the The Incident but I'm hoping for some stuff from Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream will be represented as well.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I might be able to get an interview with Trey Gunn! The new album is really out-there touch guitar stuff. It flows well which is surprising when you find out that that the drums came first.

quote:

Modulator is Trey Gunn with uber-drummer Marco Minnemann; but with a gigantic twist. This entire recording was composed and produced over the top of a 51 minute, live drum solo by Marco.

For this project, alternatively known as "Normalizer Two", Marco has enlisted several different musicians to create a full cd, each, from the same drum solo. No editing of the drum performance was done. All the music had to fit with what Marco played and, ideally, make it seems like only this drum performance could go with this music.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Here's that interview I did with Trey Gunn last week. He's a very down to earth guy. The only part that was kind of weird is when I asked him about King Crimson, not realizing that he wasn't in the band anymore. Oops.

The Great Aspie posted:

Is Ayreon his best work, or does his new Guilt Machine project's limited lineup make Arjen's performance more recognizable?
On This Perfect Day is a great album, though a bit more low-key and ambient than most of his Ayreon and Star One work. Arjen sings a little but most of the vocals are from a guy named Jasper Steverlinck. Lori from Stream of Passion has some really nice solos on this one as well. The lyrics are very far removed from the sort of stuff he did with the sci-fantasy concept albums. I don't think the album blew me away at first listen exactly, but it is definitely a grower.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I've got a challenge for all you Progtologists:

I do a prog radio show that just happens to fall on the 4th of July this year. Aside from Song For America by Kansas and the Yes version of the Simon and Garfunkle hit America, I'm having a hard time putting together a playlist. There's a Pain of Salvation track from Scarsick that might work in the same way that people play Born in the USA or American Woman.

Any ideas?

edit: just remembered The Voyager by Pendragon.

TheForgotton fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 23, 2010

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Score! It turns out that the program director had a British Rock of the 60's compilation with the studio version of this track. Also, I didn't realize that Keith Emerson did the dagger trick back with the Nice. What a maniac!

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Here's my interview with Yogi of RPWL if anyone's interested. They'll be playing at Calprog this year.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Patriotic songs were much harder to come by than protest stuff, so this is what the playlist for the July 4th segment ended up looking like:

The Nice - America
Kansas - Song For America
Pendragon - The Voyager
Yes - America
Steppenwolf - Monster/Suicide/America
Styx - Suite Madame Blue (live)
Queensrÿche - At 30,000 Ft.
Pain of Salvation - America
Iced Earth - 1776

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Attitude Indicator posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but that song is far from patriotic.
I think I said that poorly. I couldn't find a whole lot of patriotic stuff so I went with both viewpoints. Stuff like Song For America and the suite from Steppenwolf aren't very flag-wavey.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I've got a phone interview with Dave Brock of Hawkwind coming up tomorrow. I don't know a hell of a lot about the band aside from the Lemmy connection and the fact that they took a poo poo-load of acid back in the day. Any questions you'd like asked?

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

How about some Dark Suns? Kristoffer Gildenöw (formerly Pain of Salvation) plays bass on their latest album. They have a freaky official video for one of their instrumentals, but it's slightly NWS in a couple of places.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm interviewing Steve Hackett today for my radio show!

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I finally got around to editing and uploading my interview with Steve Hackett.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

It looks like I might get to interview Jon Anderson in the near future!

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Iucounu posted:

I'd love to hear how he feels about how things went down with Yes when he had his respitory problems. Not sure if he wasn't invited back in the band, or if he declined after they picked up the new singer.
I asked him about the Yes situation but I didn't want to make it the crux of the interview. I did get him to talk a bit about the "forest" they built in the studio for Tales From Topographic Oceans and the fact that he's working on a sequel to Olias of Sunhillow. I'll be playing most of the interview on tonight's The Eleventh Hour radio show (11:00 PM Eastern at Sun FM along with a track from his new album. I'll also have on some stuff from Frogg Cafe, King Crimson, East of the Wall, The Pineapple Thief, Frank Zappa, and Gosta Berlings Saga.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Here's the full audio from my Jon Anderson interview.

I just got to talk with Jim Matheos and John Arch about their new project. I'll probably be playing that on this Sunday's show.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Ingram posted:

Help me prog thread! I have been enjoying listening to the first two Liquid Tension albums in my car and also John Petrucci's solo album.

What else is simular to listen to? Please don't say Animal as Leaders...
There's a group from Poland called Animations that I thought really nailed the vibe of the first LTE album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey9dFzvUofA

Planet X or solo Derek Sherinian would probably be up your alley as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hn_WLRpZcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaXQmFISFU

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm now hooked on Renaissance. I'd heard the name thrown around for the novelty of them being a female-fronted prog group, but hadn't bothered to track them down until I happened upon a copy of their Live at Carnegie Hall double album at a pawn shop for a dollar. I wonder why they're not a more common name.

Check out this BBC program they did in '77.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJM3Mb6dVUk

Edit: spellchecker :doom:

TheForgotton fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 4, 2012

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there any recommended prog bands with female vocals?
Here are some more modern groups: Paatos, Elfonia (the singer would later go onto Ayreon and Stream of Passion), Magenta, Akin, MoeTar, Dial (which also features Kristoffer Gildenlow), and Ruby Bullet.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

There are a ton of good prog albums on sale here:
http://www.therecordlabel.net/albums/

For these prices, I would definitely recommend snagging The Third Ending, Puppet Show, Jolly, Akin, Simon Says, Dial, Under The Sun, both Jupiter Society discs, and the first Frameshift album.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Hey folks, some of you might remember the prog-rock radio show I ran a couple of years back called The Eleventh Hour. I was off the air for a while and now I'm bringing the show back as a podcast. The first edition of the show is now online here if you want to listen in or at least check out the playlist.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

My second prog-rock radio podcast is available for your listening pleasure. On this week's program: Marillion, Tiles, Voivod, Frank Zappa, OSI, Spock's Beard, and The Flower Kings.

I didn't see any mention of it on here, but Nic Potter passed away last week. He was the bassist of Van Der Graaf Generator on The Least We Can Do and half of H to He, and when I looked up his obit, it turns out that he played on a bunch of Peter Hammill solo albums as well as two from Rare Bird. He was 61.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Prog Doctor posted:

I finally got around to listening to Diagonal's new album, "The Second Mechanism" (ordered it in December, didn't get it at my door until a couple days ago). I really enjoyed it. It's not as intense as their debut, but it's very easy to listen to - even with non-prog people around. I like the new singer, even if he only got to sing about a minute worth of vocals. And they didn't disappoint with crazy time signatures (or a phrasing with multiple time signatures) that took me a minute to work my mind around. I wouldn't say it's as good as their debut, but it's a very solid follow up.
Good call! These guys strike me as a mix between The Future Kings of England, Goblin, and maybe a dash of Univers Zero.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

RDreamer posted:

That's cool. I had seen she had a project, but didn't know about any solid releases. Unfortunately, though, I think Jon Courtney wrote most of their music, so it's bound to be pretty different.
I think the more interesting part of their sound left with Greg Jong. I just found one of his current projects called Grand Vanity.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Clockwork Angels has been on a pretty heavy rotation in the car now that it's warming up (it feels like nice summer driving music). What's some more prog similar to this? (besides Rush's discography. And as much as I also enjoy mellotron heavy prog, that's not what I'm looking for here)
Modern Rush sounds like Tiles to me, which is probably backwards, but I think Tiles nailed the sound that Rush was moving towards after Counterparts. Alex actually plays some guitar parts on this track from a few years back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBcvYIzCflg

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

BigFactory posted:

Wow, didn't know Terry Brown was still producing records!

This band seems to like terrible puns and plays on words.
Indeed! Cover art and occasional keyboards by Hugh Syme as well.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'll agree that the new Leprous is fantastic. It has a really weird opener but parts of the vocal melody keep popping up throughout the rest of the album, so I see why it's there after a few listen. Ihsahn sounds possessed on Contaminate Me.

Another band with a recent release that I'm really enjoying is Jolly's The Audio Guide to Happiness - Part 2. A couple of videos: Firewell, Dust Nation Bleak.

I scored a pretty cool concept album out of a $3 bin at a record store the other week: Hero and Heroine by The Strawbs. I'd remembered them as being a band that Rick Wakeman had played keys on, although he is not on this album. Here's the title track, live. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuCHawtzZc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

Hammer Bro. posted:

On a vaguely-related note, I don't think I've seen Major Parkinson's Blackbox mentioned here before. Until that album, their connection with prog was tenuous, though there was something I always found pleasing about their compositions, and I'm sensitive to repetition in a way I can't well describe. But Blackbox has multiple lengthy songs and, more importantly, a rhythmic motif that's deftly woven throughout the album. Or at least I think that's what's going on. There is definitely a similar cohesion that is not apparent at first but unfolds with subsequent playthroughs.
I had Baseball pop up on my spotify discovery one week out of nowhere. I immediately listened to it again, queued up the album, and repeated it again. I think Baseball is still my favorite, but drat that's an interesting spin.