Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Has anyone here heard this album? Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited

It's a 1996 album where Steve Hackett got together with the 1974 King Crimson lineup plus 20 random vocalists and programmers to cover old Genesis songs. Which I half want to look for and am half assuming is really horrible

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah that guy is awful. I spent a while reading a bunch of his reviews last night and trying to wrap my head around his weird Beatles-based rating system

However in his review of that Watcher album he says that Hackett apparently claims these are the "definitive" versions of the songs, which is pretty obnoxious considering that some of these songs aren't even written by him - claiming to have finally created the definitive Firth of Fifth is kind of a slap in Tony Banks' face.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quote:

At least, I'll live out the rest of the twentieth century without having to enjoy 'Fracture'. (Which reminds me: does everyone remember clearly that the twenty-first century actually begins in the year 2001 and not in the year 2000, as the ignorant mass media people all teach us? Boycott these ceremonies, people, they're putting you ON!)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

cat doter posted:

The gently caress? I've tried learning that song on guitar a few times but compositionally it's incredibly complex and difficult to play. What a hack.

Yeah I've tried to recreate it on piano many times and failed. It's a crazy complex song and clearly very deliberately composed.

It's also odd that he hates it so much because he loves Discipline and the whole 80's KC sound, and to me Fracture is a lot closer to that 80's sound (I mean it's not that close but there are a lot of hints at it) than almost anything else in the 70's KC discography.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 18, 2011

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Iucounu posted:

I heard "Hocus Pocus" by Focus in a seafood restaurant once. I literally couldn't believe my ears.

:confused: Maybe it's a regional thing but when I was growing up that song was on classic rock radio stations constantly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it in a restaurant, bar, gas station, etc.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Iucounu posted:

This live clip with Benoit David is very cringe worthy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_Bp7uUFSTus#t=126s

I stopped paying attention to Yes years ago so I had no idea who Benoit David was until I watched this video. Then I looked him up.

They replaced Jon Anderson with a guy from a cover band that they found out about on Youtube.

:ughh:

I feel bad for the guy, being the actual lead singer of Yes must have been a lifelong impossible dream and now he's actually on stage with them... singing like that.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 1, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hollenhammer posted:

Hey guys I've been checking out Rush, Yes and King Crimson. I'm pretty new to the genre... Where should I go from here? What are some essential Prog bands?

The big essentials aside from those are ELP, Genesis (before 1977), Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, and maybe PFM.

At least for the 70's. As far as later bands I'd say that Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Anekdoten, the Mars Volta, and Wobbler are stand out acts.

You should also check out some of the more proggish jazz fusion groups like the Mahavishnu Orchestra and Weather Report.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

an_mutt posted:

Hey. Hey. Duke is a pretty great album, and I won't hear otherwise. It has the Duke's Suite, after all, and a nice smattering of catchy tracks throughout.

Duke is indeed a good album, and I like plenty of Genesis's later stuff but I don't really think any of it belongs in a list of prog rock essentials.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I have read about that camp before and it looks amazing and I am crazy jealous and wish I was a brilliant guitarist to go train with Adrian. I wish there was some kind of prog rock keyboardist camp run by Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The fact that Steven Wilson was involved makes me even more afraid of what it will sound like, but I will still listen to at least 10 minutes of it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

This is hilarious, thanks for posting it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah they are great, the 40th anniversary edition of Lizard is especially awesome.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Evening Star is really a brilliant album, still one of the best ambient albums around IMO even now some 30+ years after it was made.

The Equatorial Stars I just can't really get into it. It's not bad but it really doesn't have the sense of mystery or really any kind of emotion or atmosphere compared to a lot of other ambient music.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think Bedlam is that difficult of an album or really that it had much of a different sound from Amputechture. The songs were a little bit more condensed and there wasn't as much of a cohesive theme, but it wasn't exactly a departure from what they'd been doing before.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

To me it just seemed like Amputechture but without the really cheesy bits (like that godawful fake noire soundtrack sax bit in the middle of Tetragrammaton, which is otherwise a cool song)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Is there no appreciation for The Alan Parsons Project in this thread? Surely anyone who's interested in prog rock should give such songs and instrumental tracks as The Raven, Lucifer, The Turn Of A Friendly Card suite, Psychobabble, You Don't Believe, Where's The Walrus?, and La Sagrada Familia a try.

I was obsessed with La Sagrada Familia (and that whole Gaudi album) when I was about 12 years old, having been turned on to it by a German friend. Haven't listened to it since then and I'm a little afraid to.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I love Lark's Tongue as much as the next nerd and already have the Great Deceiver box set and a bunch of other recordings from that era but I don't know if I need to hear every single random riff and jam session that occurred in 1973.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Just not seeing them live. The pit wasn't even really a pit, it was just people packed too closely together and thus all swaying like grass in the breeze as people fought to keep standing. And then Cedric started tossing cymbal stands into the crowd. Bad vibes.

I saw them live once and it was an incredible show. But I've seen videos of other shows and they sound terrible, Cedric way off key, Omar just loving around etc. They were very hit and miss in general, especially live.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Yes just released a new track from their upcoming album. Not good. This might be the worst Yes song I've ever heard actually.

http://youtu.be/ldKKCJRb_So

Is this real?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it literally sounds like Steve Howe got high and was idly jamming along to one of the default patterns on a crappy drum machine from the late 90's while some 14 year old sang along. I know Yes got bad in recent years but I didn't realize it was this bad and I'm still kind of hoping that song is a joke

According to wikipedia Alan White is still in the band but I can't believe an actual human being was playing that beat.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 19, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Not exactly prog, but if you're going down the Kate Bush path, you can't go wrong with St. Vincent. Maybe Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins or My Bloody Valentine?

and if that takes you into neoclassical territory, Black Tape for a Blue Girl

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smekerman posted:

So apparently coming out on Oct. 13th is a(nother) massive King Crimson boxset, featuring the Starless and the Bible Black period.

It must be nearly 20 years ago now that The Great Deceiver boxset came out because I was in high school at the time and I remember saving for it and being crazy excited about it. And that was only four discs. Good stuff lots of interesting improvs and I still have the discs, now so scratched that they are barely playable.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Prog Doctor posted:

Wasn't most of the live stuff for the Starless and Bible Black box set already included in Road to Red?

https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/multiproduct/313/3884/

Unless I am misreading something, Road to Red is material from their 1974 tour of the US, while the new boxset is material from some 1973 shows plus their 1974 tour of Europe.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

everybody ITT except me is now on a first name basis with the members of King Crimson :smith:

wish I could afford you fancy prog rock nerd camp

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Isn't she a somewhat famous motivational speaker or something?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan. Dude, you saw Crimson. I especially love your concern that we never experience something oh so terrible, when most of us won't even get the chance.

:frogout:

It is actually ok and acceptable for people to criticize King Crimson's live performance. They are not gods. I only saw them once, it was in the mid 90's (THRAK tour), and they put on a decent show, but it was not great. It happens.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Tony and Pete were always at odds creatively, and Tony doesn't like others playing any sort of keyboard instrument. He's a keyboard dictator. I think that's one of the main reasons Peter left the band in the first place, and now, in his solo stuff, keyboards is Peter's main instrument..

Is there some good backstory on this to read somewhere? I watched a Genesis documentary a while back, and it was made pretty clear that the reason for Peter leaving was creative tension between him and Tony, but it was more framed such that Tony wanted to go in a more commercial pop/ballad oriented direction while Peter wanted to keep doing weird art prog music with costumes etc. and make it even more theatrical. Didn't realize it was because Peter wanted to play some keyboards! As a keyboardist I find that kind of funny because it is historically considered one of the least glorious positions in a rock band.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

What are some of the things that seem new on Foxtrot?

In the middle of Supper's Ready instead of "a flower?!", Peter Gabriel yells "baba booey baba booey Howard Stern's penis!"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

No more prog rock albums called B(*)ighted please

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Genesis is one of those bands that rewards you the more you listen to them. I had pretty much known about Genesis for as long as I could remember since I was a little kid in the 80s and they were pretty popular then, but I didn't discover Gabriel era Genesis until I was in high school.

Yeah I went through that same progression. I originally thought of Genesis as "the band with the ugly muppets" because my first exposure to them was the Land of Confusion video which came out when I was like 9 years old. But I didn't intentionally listen to them until I was 14 or 15 or so when I discovered progressive rock and was surprised to find that they had been part of it, and that Peter Gabriel had once been their singer (I had liked a few of his solo songs as a kid because of his creative videos, but didn't know the connection). Then I bought Nursery Cryme and fell in love.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 25, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ha I love all the angry comments from floyd dads

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Here is a cool article that goes through each bit of Fripp's current live setup:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/rig-tour-robert-fripp-609374

My favorite thing is that King Crimson's "mellotron" is now the iPad app ThumbJam.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

iPad is the way to go for mellotron, although I'm surprised that he didn't go with the M3000 app (although I think you can adjust release times and poo poo with ThumbJam which might be the appeal)

The mellotron on thumbjam is not bad but VST's like SampleTron are much better imo

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ThePutty posted:

i'm coming into this thread to say jethro tull owns bones, that is all

I will probably catch flak itt for saying this but IMO several of the early Jethro Tull albums have a certain amount of "heart" I guess I'd say that is really lacking on the albums of their prog contemporaries. I mean I love just about every late 60's/early 70's prog album that is out there, but there is something just so warm and beautiful and sad in a song like Wondring Aloud that I have never found in other prog rock from that period

It's not just the words and "woodier" arrangements but more Ian Anderson's whole style of singing and presence in the songs, it makes the vocals in Yes and Genesis seem so distant and aloof in comparison.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 21, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

As to lyrics, Jakko did a great job, I felt. The songs chosen would not have sounded 'right', I think, with Ade singing. I note again not one Belew lyric was sung, even on the modern era songs (TCoL). I note as well I would not want Jakko singing most of Ade's lyrics for the same reason.

IMO Jakko did a great job with The Letters but I think that's partly because just about anyone sounds better than Boz Burrell. He sounded pretty lame on the other 70's tracks, like he was trying too hard. I've always felt that John Wetton was a pretty bad and sort of lazy sounding singer, but his voice really worked with the lyrics and overall aesthetic of KC at that time, Jakko has the wrong kind of energy, or just too much energy.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Iucounu posted:

Huge upcoming release of 7 previously-lost Yes shows from '72: http://yesworld.com/2015/03/yes-progeny-live-from-seventy-two/

gently caress yes I am all over this, Yessongs is my absolute favorite Yes release and this looks like just a crazy extended version of that, and I am very excited to hear the keyboard solo from the Toronto show when local radio was leaking through the mellotron's electronics :catdrugs:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Daryl loving Hall posted:

This could definitely be really cool, but White could never quite hack Close to the Edge on drums, so that'll be particularly, uh... interesting?

The version of Close to the Edge on Yessongs is played by White and it sounds great, I prefer that version to the album version (though mostly because of the keyboard solo).

White played everything on Yessongs except for Perpetual Change and Long Distance Runaround

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 8, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I dunno man I really am not fond of Moraz at all, but I will give it a listen

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Moraz has a different style than Wakeman, but I dig it. I admit it's not as well suited to the songs that Wakeman contributed to, but definitely works great on the more fusion inspired songs like sound chaser (just listen to his keyboard solo at the end of sound chaser on the recording I linked above).

Honestly the keyboard parts are my least favorite part of Relayer, they almost ruin it for me.

To be honest the way I see it in the mid 70's and then especially the 80's I feel like both prog rock and jazz fusion started to really lose the plot with the ridiculous super clean and shiny cheesy synth solos, culminating in absurdities like Chick Corea's Elektric Band. Genesis was able to maintain some dignity by turning into a decent pop group and Yes sort of did some ok work in the same direction, arguably, but really in terms of actual progressive rock only King Crimson managed to stay cool and write good tunes during that period. Maybe because they didn't have any keyboards in the band in the 80's, and in the 70's kept it limited to mellotron and occasional piano. I am probably oversensitive to this poo poo because I am a keyboardist myself but there is something in the styles that started emerging in these genres from 1975 on that just sounds too much like "keyboard demo music".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah it definitely was much bigger in the late 70's, but the solos (and many of the keyboard parts in general ) on Relayer sounds to me the beginnings of that style, which is why they bug me. Otherwise it's an amazing album.