Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I'm not entirely sure that Led Zeppelin would necessarily be considered prog rock (it kind of transcends rock genres) but I just wanted to express to anyone the awesome experience I had.

I'm 23, big music lover, and have always appreciated vinyls, but have only used the family turntable very occasionally. I recently was given a decent stereo with turntable and decided to start collecting vinyls. Tonight, I found a copy of Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin and plugged my turntable into my sound card and got a line-in plugin for Winamp. I then plugged in my friend's super badass audio technica's that I'm currently taking care of and cranked that bitch up. Adjusted the Winamp EQ and bam...

Wow. Converted me entirely. I think I'm now on the path to becoming a true audiophile. That was EPIC. Vinyl owns, and so do Winamp equalizers. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Helicity posted:

Just getting caught up and I'm kind of surprised no one said anything about Dream Theater's latest album, but I don't really blame anyone for not bringing it up either. I asked a buddy of mine what he thought and he said "One song reminded me of Kamelot. Another song sounded like Rush. That's about all I remember I guess."

Really disappointed because I had considered Portnoy's influence on the band to be a negative thing, and thought we'd get another SFaM with all the positive energy flowing. You can actually hear Myung a little now, there are no idiotic growls in the backing vocals, and no songs whining about alcoholism - but all that's left is a directionless mish-mash of uninspired instrument wankery. I keep hoping it will grow on me like some of their other recent albums, but that hasn't been the case so far.

Illumination Theory is pretty badass, I'll give them that.

edit: instead of just being negative, I have recently found Cynic - Traced in Air and the whole thing is really good, especially 'Nunc Stans' and 'The Space For This':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUOxNaq35TU

Cynic's out with a brand new album, it's good and you should listen to it