Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math Rocker
Sep 21, 2003

by Ozma
I like Neal Morse a lot, Spock's Beard has some great stuff, but I think as a solo artist his talents really show. He is a really good song writer, especially considering the genre he plays in. A lot of his songs have great melodies and he is a really good singer, he's got a great voice and you can really hear the passion and emotion. (atheist alert) I don't believe in the stuff he does, but he writes so well and doesn't preach in his lyrics - they're more like stories - so I don't mind. I've heard some comments before from people who say they don't like the religious nature of his songs, but that is pretty close minded. Reading back into Spock's Beard's lyrics there are lot of not so overtly religious and spiritual lyrics, especially on V (which is an awesome album). In Transatlantic, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math Rocker
Sep 21, 2003

by Ozma

Black Griffon posted:

pain of salvation...

Yeah I know, I like it, but I don't really like it as much at their other work. I really liked their take on progressive metal, they had a really unique sound in a genre dominated by cliches. Road Salt One is kind of unique too, but I don't find it to be as engaging as their prior albums (Scarsick, Be, and Perfect Element are my favorites).
I really don't like the lyrics on most of the songs, they're just boring, and Daniel keeps reusing the same tired metaphors (dirt, dust, scars, roads), the same ones he has used since even their first album, except that now the lyrics are less poetic or interesting. His singing, however, is some of his best. "Of Dust" and "Sisters" are absolutely beautiful.

Math Rocker
Sep 21, 2003

by Ozma
I'm partial to H To He Who Am The Only One, "Killers" is an awesome track, and the album cover is really cool. But Pawn Hearts has my two favorite songs by them (outside of "Cat's Eye/Yellow Fever"); "Lemmings" and "Man-Erg". The album itself is only 3 songs, the first 2 tracks are each 10 or so minutes, and the third is a 23 minute epic, which I never got into